Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 37
Send Topic Print
Why love is love and saying yes is vital (Read 28956 times)
Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Re: Why love is love and saying yes is vital
Reply #435 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 8:49pm

TheFunPolice wrote on Sep 18th, 2017 at 4:29pm:
Grendel wrote on Sep 18th, 2017 at 4:25pm:
Good grief, mothballs must love all this off topic attention she's getting...

meanwhile lets see what's been written on topic eh. Roll Eyes

Why would you derail your own thread?

Grin

So it can blend in with the derailed forum ???
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2017 at 2:07pm by Lisa Jones »  

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #436 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 8:51pm

Grendel wrote on Sep 17th, 2017 at 9:53pm:
Dnarever wrote on Sep 17th, 2017 at 9:50pm:
Grendel wrote on Sep 17th, 2017 at 9:44pm:
Setanta wrote on Sep 17th, 2017 at 9:36pm:
Bobby. wrote on Sep 17th, 2017 at 9:26pm:
Welcome back Setanta - I voted NO & posted it off today.

I haven't really been gone, just not logged in, considering my options. While I might not agree with your vote Bobby, I respect your choice. I think everyone should abstain and make the govt do their job.

The Government tried to do their job, unfortunately the ALP, The Greens and some in the senate prevented them.

When did the government move to implement same sex marriage ?

Neither a Plebiscite or this postal joke are good idea's and both should have been voted down.

Showing your bias DNA.
The Government didn't get elected on bringing in SSM nor did the ALP or the Greens etc...  it wasn't an issue.
The Coalition policy was for  plebiscite and they won the election.
We expect a plebiscite.
We expect to have a say on this issue.
Unlike those who fear the result. Roll Eyes

It isn't the vote that is a problem it is the unnecessary damage done along the way

IP Logged

Mistress Nicole
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #437 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 8:54pm

Flip

IP Logged

Mistress Nicole
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #438 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 8:54pm

Flip

IP Logged

Mistress Nicole
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #439 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 8:54pm

Flip damn you

IP Logged

Mistress Nicole
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #440 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 8:55pm

Argh. Last try

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #441 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 9:00pm

cods wrote on Sep 17th, 2017 at 10:52pm:
Setanta wrote on Sep 17th, 2017 at 10:42pm:
cods wrote on Sep 17th, 2017 at 10:38pm:
HI setanta   trust you are back with bells on.. Smiley Smiley

hope all is well with you...

.Setanta wrote on Sep 17th, 2017 at 9:46pm:
When I said Govt, I meant all of them in Canberra, that's the way it works

while Bill shorten is there  they will never work together...he is controlled by the unions.....and they hate everything that isnt affiliated with the unions...

so forget that... the postal is as good as you will get for now.......a divided country... Sad

Trust you to see it that way Cods. It's the Libs call on how this goes down and they have chosen their poison, I believe this particular poison dissolves one's spine and the anecdotal evidence would support this.

well I could say the same for a lefty....

we are only having a postal because the pleb got knocked back...by guess who...

this postal was dragged before the high court and got thrown out..

Turnbull went to the election with a pleb... the senate wouldnt pass it   not sure how many times it went there...BUT....so this is what you get when you play hard ball.. mate.. a shambles...its costing a fortune...

turnbull didnt choose this poison it was forced on him by militants...

who want the goct members to vote  knowing full well they have them by the short and curlies......and if you dont VOTE YES>.. guess who wont vote for you or any of your party members next time round..

its too easy mate too easy.....its called POWER... I call it blackmail..

how many gays vote these days? Angry

Yes and what a good decision, with this shorter process we have seen calls to mental assistance lines jump by 20% from the homosexual youth. Going the full Plebiscite would have made the abuse 10 times worse for 10 times as long.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #442 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 9:34pm

link

Why I'm voting "NO".

The bullying and the violence from the queers and their supporters has been like the Germans attacking the Jews in the lead-up to the war.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #443 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 9:11am

LOL
DNA is worried about the abuse.
yes DNA when will your side stop it. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

capitosinora
Gold Member

Australian Politics

USA Florida
Reply #444 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 9:51am

Love is not about equality love is about sacrifice.

GOD BLESS AMERICA

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #445 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 9:57am

Lord Herbert wrote on Sep 18th, 2017 at 9:34pm:
link

Why I'm voting "NO".

The bullying and the violence from the queers and their supporters has been like the Germans attacking the Jews in the lead-up to the war.

Well said.

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

capitosinora
Gold Member

Australian Politics

USA Florida
Reply #446 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 10:36am

mothra wrote on Sep 17th, 2017 at 12:07am:
In an open letter, Chapter Music co-founder Ben O'Connor acknowledges that while he's devastated by the public equal marriage survey, he's one of the luckier ones.

I was 19 when I started dating my boyfriend, Guy. Boyfriend feels like a juvenile word to use for someone you've shared every aspect of your life with for 22 years. I sometimes use partner but that can confuse people because we run a business together.

Going through Immigration at LAX last year, I went to the desk and Guy hesitated behind me in the queue, as we often do at airports. When the Immigration official asked if we were together, I replied, "He's my partner." Seeing his confusion, I followed with "my boyfriend of 20 years." He warmly motioned for Guy to come over, "Together so long and you're not married yet? What are you waiting for?" I told him it wasn't legal in Australia, even if we did it somewhere else. He commiserated and welcomed us to America.

I was in the USA again last month when the marriage equality plebiscite was rejected by the senate, and the postal survey was announced. I was glad to be out of the country, while poison was raining down on my relationship and those of so many others. I thought about dear friends who've wed overseas even though their marriage is not recognised by the Australian government. I thought about a lesbian couple I adore who recently had their first baby. I thought about what my life was like when I was a closeted teenager.

When I was a little kid, I didn't want to get married. I just wanted to be really, really good friends with a prince, or a pauper, or a cowboy. I didn't want to marry him, I just wanted to be with him. I read The Female Eunuch when I was 13, and it cemented my anti-marriage stance. Monogamy seemed ridiculous, and a piece of paper didn't define a relationship. I thought of marriage as a bourgeois, capitalist power trap. I knew my relationships would be with men, but I never thought in terms of marriage. How much of this was my precocious radical belief system, and how much was the inability to imagine the real possibility of marriage equality in the 80s and 90s? I don't know.

One of the best things about growing up queer is knowing that the rules are bullshit. Questioning everything is second nature. Straight marriage and straight life didn't make any sense to me, why would I want to replicate it?

I didn't want a straight life then, and I still don't. Guy and I have shaped our relationship ourselves, without role models, without roles. We didn't see our lives reflected in those around us, or in popular culture. Over decades, we have found our forebears through books and music and film and art. We have so many inspiring queer, non binary and LGBT friends, here at home and in communities around the world. For the last 22 years we have built a life and world for ourselves that shelters and sustains us.

Marriage Equality wasn't something either Guy or I gave much thought to before the early 2000s, when countries slowly started legislating for it. Of course we'd talked about whether we would if we could, we knew we wanted to spend our lives together. Neither of us were particularly interested in marriage, but it seemed like soon that choice would be ours. Then in 2004 John Howard, supported by both major parties, changed the Marriage Act, defining marriage as a 'voluntarily entered-into union of a man and a woman to exclusion of all others.'

After it became law that the celebrant had to say that during the ceremony, I remember the first wedding we went to: the couple asked the celebrant to add that they disagreed with this, and looked forward to when all couples could marry. I remember Guy and I, and the other queer folk at the wedding, feeling really touched. It felt so nice to be included in something.

After a few more weddings, it started to sting. People like us were specifically and explicitly excluded from this institution. It has to be said aloud during the ceremony for the marriage to be legal. That's buggered up. We stopped going to weddings. People kept getting married.

It's inevitable that marriage equality will happen. It's a matter of when, and of how many people will be hurt in the process.

I was 5 when gay male sex was legalised in Victoria, Guy was 16 when it happened in Western Australia. I can't imagine what it was like for him to have to hear all the awful things said in the papers, at school, in parliament. The age of consent there for homosexual sex was 21. That's the age he was when we first met, and he'd been breaking the law for years.

Having governments deny the worth of our relationship feels bad enough. But having it put to a non-binding public vote? The entire country are invited to an open, no holds barred "debate" about whether all people should be treated equally under law. The right to be treated equally under the law is a human right. It feels like our right to be who we are is being questioned. It feels like our right to exist is being questioned. We're used to this, queer people deal with this all our lives. But now it's amplified, and government sanctioned, and dragged out over months. Months of taunts, and bogus statistics, and hateful rhetoric, and accusations of bullying for calling bigots 'bigots.'

It looks you don't know what the love is.

GOD BLESS AMERICA

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #447 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 10:43am

Grendel wrote on Sep 18th, 2017 at 4:30pm:
I think this was the last on topic post...

Grendel wrote on Sep 18th, 2017 at 1:23pm:
One more time...  a voice of reason.
Grendel wrote on Sep 18th, 2017 at 9:09am:
For the atheists and religiously ignorant.

Quote:
As an Orthodox rabbi I will be voting no but it is not a vote against love

Rabbi Moshe Gutnick

Our nation is being asked to vote on whether or not it wishes to change the definition of marriage. I need to emphasise at the outset that I have been an Orthodox rabbi for 35 years. On my watch, no person has been turned away or made to feel uncomfortable because of their sexual preference. What someone does in the privacy of one's own home is between them and God.

Indeed, it is a fundamental principle of my faith, and the Judeo-Christian ethic, that all human beings are created equal in the image of God and therefore, have unalienable rights.  It is precisely this belief that not only allows me, but empowers me, to respect and accept every single human being regardless of colour, race, creed or sexual orientation.

It is important to remember what happens when God and His teachings are removed from the equation. In the former Soviet Union, the state became an omnipotent ruler, truly God-like and its pursuit of "equality" blended into the excuse to impose a ruthless totalitarian regime. In Nazi Germany, pseudo-science replaced God and rather than all beings created equal, Hitler reduced humanity to classes and subclasses, the lowest of which were homosexuals and Jews – whose lives (according to his twisted rationale) were less than worthless.

Belief in a creator is the root of all human rights and democracy in Western society. Because of this, I would always fight for LGBTQI rights. However, it is precisely this profound belief that makes me vote "no" for same-sex marriage.

It is a fundamental principle of Judaism, Christianity and Islam, that the (same) one God revealed His will to mankind. No matter how unpopular it is to state this position, no amount of "clerical gymnastics" can change the fact that biblically there is only one form of marriage. And that is between a man and a woman. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either fooling themselves or fooling you.

In the biblical Garden of Eden, God created a man and a woman and their union was blessed. From this, would come all of humankind. So too, only a union that mirrors that potential for procreation is blessed with the title, "holy matrimony". The same God that teaches me to respect everyone, teaches me that marriage can only be between a man and a woman.

A "no" vote is not a vote against love. It is not a vote for discrimination. It is not a vote against the LGBTQI community. It is not a vote based on misguided homophobia. It is simply a vote of conscience that marriage should remain as people of faith believe God intended it. Only in the relatively very recent past, did marriage move from canon law to civil law. The Marriage Act is the only act that can be executed by the clergy. And it indeed reflects the holy covenant of marriage. The government can find other ways (such as civil union) to protect the rights of the LGBTQI community.

The phraseology of the slogan, "marriage equality" is cleverly used. After all, who is not for equality? However, marriage has always been in our society as Holy matrimony between a man and a woman. Today some in society seek to change that definition. It is not an issue of equality but of definition. If marriage were a purely secular instrument, or if there was a provision for a secular civil union protecting gay rights, I would have no quarrel. However, our society is not purely secular. The freedom of expression and rights and democracy enjoyed by all Australians have their roots, not in secular humanistic ideology, but in a profound belief in a creator who shaped us all in the biblical teachings of Judaism and Christianity.
At the commencement of every day of each  parliamentary sitting, the following profound prayer is recited, "Our Father who art in Heaven, Hallowed be Thy Name, Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven." Will this too have to go for the sake of "equality"?

Rabbi Moshe Gutnick is a senior dayan of the Sydney Beth Din and Rabbinic Administrator of The Kashrut Authority.

Mirrors my thoughts exactly - must be my Jewish G-G-grandparents coming out in me.  Mind you - I'd have passed the test in Germany - too far back... but many distant relatives in Hamburg etc didn't....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #448 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 10:45am

Dnarever wrote on Sep 18th, 2017 at 9:00pm:

while Bill shorten is there  they will never work together...he is controlled by the unions.....and they hate everything that isnt affiliated with the unions...

so forget that... the postal is as good as you will get for now.......a divided country... Sad

Trust you to see it that way Cods. It's the Libs call on how this goes down and they have chosen their poison, I believe this particular poison dissolves one's spine and the anecdotal evidence would support this.

Turnbull went to the election with a pleb... the senate wouldnt pass it   not sure how many times it went there...BUT....so this is what you get when you play hard ball.. mate.. a shambles...its costing a fortune...

who want the goct members to vote  knowing full well they have them by the short and curlies......and if you dont VOTE YES>.. guess who wont vote for you or any of your party members next time round..

Yes and what a good decision, with this shorter process we have seen calls to mental assistance lines jump by 20% from the homosexual youth. Going the full Plebiscite would have made the abuse 10 times worse for 10 times as long.

Steady on, Jim - they're calling help lines because of the way they feel - not because of any 'increase' in abuse... concern and confusion over the issue is not the same as anyone else abusing them - that kind of nonsense remains with the feminist style of 'legislation'.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #449 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 12:53pm

Dnarever wrote on Sep 18th, 2017 at 9:00pm:

I disagree    and you have no idea about that at all thats a penny Wong  cry.....you put every Australian down when you make claims like that..

how do you know gays do not increase these calls    to get their point across   we are being abused..

dna  they have the loudest voice oi any minority group in this country..they really do... more gays than aboriginals or muslims in parliament   

now we all know if this was left to the govt MPs  to vote on.

they would vote for votes.. simple as that    the gays can be very violent without drawing blood..... Angry..

and I see this whole thing as pure bullying....give them an inch as the saying goes..

as we saw with our Aboriginal chums   MABO /SORRY SPEECH/ nothing changed a thing...

now its statues... Sad Sad Sad Sad

sadly they lost my support through their own behavior   and its the same with the gay mob.....they had me   then they lost me...

got nothing to do with any govt I can assure you.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 37
Send Topic Print