Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How good is Wikipedia? (Read 382 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

How good is Wikipedia?
Sep 16th, 2017 at 10:23am

In the days of Britannica (long may she rule) there were committees of academics from all disciplines to edit and update it.

Who edits Wiki?

Not that I've come across anything that I would challenge from my own knowledge but there are million of entries. Who is the editorial board?

Is it a Committee of the People for Public Safety?

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: How good is Wikipedia?
Reply #1 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 10:25am

Anyone can edit it. Try it. You don't even have to log in.

They have an interesting set of rules to govern it.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 10:30am

So what safeguards are there against political or any other kind of interference with the facts?
None?

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #3 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 10:31am

It's a good source of some basic information - if you aren't keen to accept it do more digging for support.

Most of the stuff I've read gels with things I've known about, so I accept wikipedia pretty much.  Often when you are digging for some arcane information, it is the only source.

Why would that be?

Sorry, bogey, but academic is becoming another four letter word with a few artificial additives....  A Cad Emitting Inane Crud... hence my character elsewhere - The Learned Professor.... a world-acclaimed expert on the Bleedingly Obvious Stated in High Sounding Terms - BOSHT
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2017 at 10:49am by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 10:52am

I would suggest that's because it doesn't have the input from academics with obscure fields of interest in the way that the now defunct pedias had.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 10:55am

My concern is the question of whether it would have political, sociological and other kinds of balance.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 11:14am

If you mess it up, other people will fix it.

Wikipedia does not allow original research, making it mutually exclusive with genuine academia, but does allow (and have) what many would consider obscure information.

It is far bigger than any conventional encyclopedia ever was.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print