Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
teachers create nation of whingers (Read 2636 times)
Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: teachers create nation of whingers
Reply #45 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 10:18pm

aquascoot wrote on Sep 14th, 2017 at 9:00am:
Mattyfisk wrote on Sep 14th, 2017 at 8:05am:
Actually, I'd like to learn that myself. Thanks, Aquascoot. You've provided a solution: skills.

since the lawyer explosion in the west encouraging complaints and the soft life most people enjoy , you may well be right.

it could just be that an important skill to learn to survive in modern "group think" is the skill of "whinging".

but i think its just a temporary fad

You should seriously run a workshop for executives. Charge huge but make sure that the catering and accommodation are top notch. I

Horse whispering for executives - hear what Houyhnhnms have to teach you about you and your organisation.
Charge cost plus 300% if you want to be taken seriously.  Have an actual horseriding event as part of the training. 

Do it.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 3:51am

red baron wrote on Sep 14th, 2017 at 8:58am:
Don't blame the teachers

The teachers are given a curriculum they 'must teach'

Want to blame someone then blame the Education Department and the Government

But don't blame the teachers, half the time they hate some of the politically correct sh.t they are forced to pass on to students

The playground has become a hotbed of political correctness if you haven't noticed

But don't lay the blame at the teachers' feet

Totally unfair Smiley

No, Red, teachers are given skills they have to teach - a syllabus. Only in the HSC are they given texts they have to cover.

Curriculums are actually quite broad - Shakespeare in Year 10, Australian history in Year 8, algebra in Year 9, etc, etc, etc. Schools have a lot of leeway to cover different texts and subject matter.

The choice of subject matter usually comes down to how many books are left in the book-room.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #47 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 3:58am

In primary and high school I saw teachers who were interested in self-promotion and self-interest. Primary school was okay, I guess. But the teachers were all about trying to dominate the students with veiled threats. Being caught walking into a classroom to put away books during lunch would have the teacher doing more than just lecture you. They would threaten to kill you or anything that would lead to them implying that they would fight you.

Teachers work 50 hours a week. 30 in the classroom, 20 after school. Yet, they feel that they are owed more than people who work those types of hours in other industries. I had to work 56 hours in one week to get the type of pay that teachers get in 30 hours of teaching.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 4:57am

UnSubRocky wrote on Sep 15th, 2017 at 3:58am:
In primary and high school I saw teachers who were interested in self-promotion and self-interest. Primary school was okay, I guess. But the teachers were all about trying to dominate the students with veiled threats. Being caught walking into a classroom to put away books during lunch would have the teacher doing more than just lecture you. They would threaten to kill you or anything that would lead to them implying that they would fight you.

Teachers work 50 hours a week. 30 in the classroom, 20 after school. Yet, they feel that they are owed more than people who work those types of hours in other industries. I had to work 56 hours in one week to get the type of pay that teachers get in 30 hours of teaching.

I don't know any teachers who feel they are owed something, Unsubrocky. The general theme in discussions with teachers - in school and out - is about helping kids.

It's a good income. All the teachers I know are happy with it. The thing that moves teachers is seeing kids grow and learn. Teachers aren't selling financial products on commission. The ones who stay after a year are in it to teach.

It's a profession, and an important one. Aquascoot understands this vibe perfectly.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #49 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 6:50pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Sep 15th, 2017 at 4:57am:

I don't know any teachers who feel they are owed something, Unsubrocky. The general theme in discussions with teachers - in school and out - is about helping kids.

It's a good income. All the teachers I know are happy with it. The thing that moves teachers is seeing kids grow and learn. Teachers aren't selling financial products on commission. The ones who stay after a year are in it to teach.

It's a profession, and an important one. Aquascoot understands this vibe perfectly.

50 hours a week.......snikker snikker
About helping kids.....snicker snicker , snort snort
Profession.....laugh , laugh, snicker
Important one......oh come on, its just too funny.

20 hoursva week at most
About helping themselves
Profession, its a job, nothing more nothing less, professions are for professionals.
Important, only if they did what they were employed to do, which they dont.

This is why so many children have been faiied by this group of self serving non-entities.

Once there were teachers, now there are professional complainers.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #50 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 7:33pm

Been no bloody good since The Invasion Of The Snatch Embodiers....

NRL semi final on.. C YA L8ER

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #51 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 4:29am

Primary school teachers I remember were at least trying to help students with learning. But I think many of them were primary school teachers because they wanted to feel power over people.

In high school, everything changed. But some of the reasons were concerned with the fact that we were to become teenagers in our first year of high school -- therefore expected to shoulder a lot of the responsibilities. I did not have a good start to my high school year. The art teacher was a psychopath who did not give a damn about getting his facts straight. Who in the world waits three and a half years to shout abuse and condemnation towards a person who was actually a victim of assault as a 9-year-old? Then there was my math teacher who was so pious, we could practically make our public high school into a private school with her constant preaching. And the humanities block seemed to be full of late-stage hippies with an agenda of being intellectual without being too enthused about their jobs.

Teachers are available to help students become good students. But the complacency and the negativity of just cruising through high school by many seem to churn out complacent and oblivious high school graduates. My year level was considered one of the bright examples of good students. The teachers loved our year level. It was a pity that the year above and below us were so ordinary in temperament that my classmates would be more visible as ideal students.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 4:34am

UnSubRocky wrote on Sep 17th, 2017 at 4:29am:

Primary school teachers I remember were at least trying to help students with learning. But I think many of them were primary school teachers because they wanted to feel power over people.

In high school, everything changed. But some of the reasons were concerned with the fact that we were to become teenagers in our first year of high school -- therefore expected to shoulder a lot of the responsibilities. I did not have a good start to my high school year. The art teacher was a psychopath who did not give a damn about getting his facts straight. Who in the world waits three and a half years to shout abuse and condemnation towards a person who was actually a victim of assault as a 9-year-old? Then there was my math teacher who was so pious, we could practically make our public high school into a private school with her constant preaching. And the humanities block seemed to be full of late-stage hippies with an agenda of being intellectual without being too enthused about their jobs.

Teachers are available to help students become good students. But the complacency and the negativity of just cruising through high school by many seem to churn out complacent and oblivious high school graduates. My year level was considered one of the bright examples of good students. The teachers loved our year level. It was a pity that the year above and below us were so ordinary in temperament that my classmates would be more visible as ideal students.

Teachers are tasked with pointing kids in the right direction to learn for themselves. Kids always learn, whether they're at school or not.

All teachers can do is provide a hint of what's on offer if kids read and try out different things. The best teachers can do is inspire and captivate.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 12:26pm

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #54 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 1:36pm

link

Here's Mark Latham on the deplorable state of our public schools.

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #55 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 4:49pm

How little some of the posters here know about Teachers and what they do in particular Valkie

My daughter is a senior teacher at a Primary School

She arrives at school around 7am signs in then gets to work, with the mountain of preparation that school teachers are lumbered with each day

Did you now Valkie that teachers must write running reports on each and every student

Did you know that teachers have to create special programs for students with special needs that are in the classroom with the other students

It s not uncommon for a teacher top be teaching two grades simultaneously, ;esson plans for each lesson for both hgrades have to be made and approved

The lesson preparations are enormous even for Primary School students, the results are constantly analysed

My daughter usually gets away from Primary School at 5pm unless there are extra meetings in which case it could roll anything up to 5.30pm

Don't know about you Valkie but that adds up to at least a 10 hour day each and every day

Then there is work to be done at home

Still feel like being an overpaid teacher Valkie?

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #56 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 7:28pm

Never thought I'd have so much in common with Mark Latham.... oh, well - I'm young yet...

― John Adams

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #57 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 7:47pm

red baron wrote on Sep 17th, 2017 at 4:49pm:
How little some of the posters here know about Teachers and what they do in particular Valkie

My daughter is a senior teacher at a Primary School

She arrives at school around 7am signs in then gets to work, with the mountain of preparation that school teachers are lumbered with each day

Did you now Valkie that teachers must write running reports on each and every student

Did you know that teachers have to create special programs for students with special needs that are in the classroom with the other students

It s not uncommon for a teacher top be teaching two grades simultaneously, ;esson plans for each lesson for both hgrades have to be made and approved

The lesson preparations are enormous even for Primary School students, the results are constantly analysed

My daughter usually gets away from Primary School at 5pm unless there are extra meetings in which case it could roll anything up to 5.30pm

Don't know about you Valkie but that adds up to at least a 10 hour day each and every day

Then there is work to be done at home

Still feel like being an overpaid teacher Valkie?

100% correct.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print