Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
teachers create nation of whingers (Read 2635 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
teachers create nation of whingers
Sep 12th, 2017 at 7:02pm

Analyst blames teachers and social media for nation of whingers

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/analyst-blames-teachers-and-social-media-for-nation-of-whingers/news-story/ebae1b716908233659c25b41dbd7bdc7

TEACHERS telling students all views are equally valid have helped turn Australia into a nation of whingers, according to one of the nation’s leading social analysts.

David Chalke said the tendency to declare all views as equal and the broadcast platform provided by social media had contributed to the rise of “the permanently outraged”, and the online furore surrounding Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull’s now infamous baby and beer photo.

The photo of Mr Turnbull kissing his granddaughter while holding a beer in one hand and watching the footy drew criticism on social media over the weekend.

“It is the natural product of the confluence of two forces coming together, one of which is what we’ve seen pushed through education institutions for years which is the importance of identity, and that everyone’s view is equally valid,” Mr Chalke said.

“Mix that with the explosion in social media – Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or whatever – and you have an outpouring of usually uninformed, uninhibited, unmoderated, unedited rubbish and that’s what you’ve got here.”

Mr Chalke also said traditional media had to take a portion of the blame for amplifying the comments.

It is not just online that whingers are venting their frustration, with Brisbane City Council inundated with complaints.

Regular topics include road and footpath safety, animal attacks, horseriding, illegal camping and dodgy parking.

One of the biggest issues for Brisbane residents is noise, with the council receiving 10,745 noise complaints last financial year.

Council’s Lifestyle and Community Services chairman, Matthew Bourke, said animal noise, including barking dogs, crowing roosters and screeching cats, topped the list of annoying sounds.

“This was followed by construction noise occurring out of allowable hours, use of power tools or leaf blowers and noise from entertainment venues,” he said.

Mr Chalke said a sense of feeling entitled to complain had crept into Australian society.

“The Whinger’s Charter is working well and strongly right the way around the country because the squeaky door gets the oil,” he said.

“And of course every one has their own Facebook page. We are living in the world of unmoderated, unedited opinion passing itself off as fact.”

Social media users found other topics to whinge about yesterday, with thousands of people complaining about the controversial NRL Bunker.

Manly Sea Eagles and Cronulla Sharks supporters, bitter after their teams were eliminated from finals football, made the Bunker a trending topic on Facebook, slamming the video referees for their decisions in the respective matches.

Meanwhile, activists blew up the comments sections on a story about Taronga Zoo’s baby gorilla, littering the cute footage with complaints about the zoo being a “prison”, while hundreds of others chose to whinge about McDonald’s rip-offs including staff forgetting to put sauce in the bags and neglecting to mix McFlurry’s.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: teachers create nation of whingers
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 7:13pm

Gee, I remember when teachers would encourage us to speak up by saying, there are no right or wrong answers here, guys.

From memory, all views were treated as valid at school, but I can't think of a time where this was tested. Teachers rarely host debates in class.

HSC English has units on different readings of texts such as King Lear, but you're marked on your ability to support your critical reading rather than there being a "right" or "wrong" view.

This is good teaching, not whinging. Whinging is complaining about things with no evidence - or solutions.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 7:21pm

Teachers are consumate wingers and whiners.

For a group of individuals that work 5-6 hours a day for 4 days a week with 14-18 weeks off every year, they are seriously ovepaid.

And they have failed so many generations of children simply because they cant teach for shite.

No wonder the kids are that way inclined, they simply mimic what they see.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 7:29pm

Valkie wrote on Sep 12th, 2017 at 7:21pm:

For a group of individuals that work 5-6 hours a day for 4 days a week with 14-18 weeks off every year, they are seriously ovepaid.

And they have failed so many generations of children simply because they cant teach for shite.

You left out marking, lesson-planning and extra-curricular activities like sport.

An easy mistake to make.

Mind you, if I had to teach a class of Matty socks, I'd be having the odd whinge, I can assure you.

Try teaching, Matty, then tell us how easy it is.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 7:45pm

I remember we had a biology exam in high school where one of the other students gave an answer that was demonstrably incorrect, but got nearly full marks for being able to 'explain' it. Obviously the explanation was full of holes also. In other words, being able to bullshit your way through is more important than being correct.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #5 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 7:56pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Sep 12th, 2017 at 7:29pm:

You left out marking, lesson-planning and extra-curricular activities like sport.

An easy mistake to make.

Mind you, if I had to teach a class of Matty socks, I'd be having the odd whinge, I can assure you.

It all starts to become clear.
Self opinionated, rude, self serving and stooopid.
And the fact that you cant even remember someones name, or are you just trying to be annoyingingly stoopid
Your intimate knowledge of a teachers "excuses" for all the time off they have betrays you.

Extra curricular activities like sport, that is full blown bull dust.
They get the day off to watch kids run around.
Marking, dear oh dear, it must be so hard to put ticks and crosses on three or four papers a year.
Planning, what a joke, once they have their lessons planned, in the first year, they simply teach the same stuff every year after that.

They would not survive in a "Real" job working 5 days a week, 8 hours a day and some weekends with only 4 weeks a year off.

No teacher could hack it.

I HAVE A DREAM

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

thecuriousmail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Brisbane
Reply #6 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 7:58pm

Inspired by the pupil-free days that teachers have, I asked my boss when are our customer-free days??
He's thinking about it. Said 'I'll get back to you when it makes sense'.

thecuriousmail.wordpress.com
"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #7 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 8:09pm

thecuriousmail wrote on Sep 12th, 2017 at 7:58pm:
Inspired by the pupil-free days that teachers have, I asked my boss when are our customer-free days??

A teacher at my sons school once tried to talk down to me, explaining that many parents had difficulty with high school math.

I stated that I was an engineer and she said, yes but thats only applied math and not as complex as what she taught???????

I explained fluid dynamic theorey using Bernoulli equation and asked if she could determine the centroid of a mass, or even a simple beam deflection calculation.
She stutterd and said that was not what she taught.

I said thats ok, but can you add up 1 plus 1?
She said of course
So I said, yep thats about the limit of your understanding and walked away.

Teachers, so far up themselves, and for no good reason.

I HAVE A DREAM

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 9:01pm

All maths is applied. It's quite easy to invent a new field of maths. But unless it serves a purpose it is discarded because it has no value.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #9 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 9:05pm

freediver wrote on Sep 12th, 2017 at 9:01pm:
All maths is applied. It's quite easy to invent a new field of maths. But unless it serves a purpose it is discarded because it has no value.

One of my lecturers at uni did abstract math for fun.

This is serious stuff and Ill admit, way beyond my abilities.
This man was a genius.

I HAVE A DREAM

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 12:01am

Valkie wrote on Sep 12th, 2017 at 7:56pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Sep 12th, 2017 at 7:29pm:

An easy mistake to make.

It all starts to become clear.
Self opinionated, rude, self serving and stooopid.
And the fact that you cant even remember someones name, or are you just trying to be annoyingingly stoopid
Your intimate knowledge of a teachers "excuses" for all the time off they have betrays you.

Extra curricular activities like sport, that is full blown bull dust.
They get the day off to watch kids run around.
Marking, dear oh dear, it must be so hard to put ticks and crosses on three or four papers a year.
Planning, what a joke, once they have their lessons planned, in the first year, they simply teach the same stuff every year after that.

They would not survive in a "Real" job working 5 days a week, 8 hours a day and some weekends with only 4 weeks a year off.

No teacher could hack it.

Australia has a maximum 38 hour week, Matty. Teachers nearly always work on weekends. It would be nice if you could plan everything in a year, but you get different classes each term. Getting a new HSC class really tests you.

The payoff for getting well-behaved kids in private school is training two nights a week, after-school homework classes and your Saturdays gone. Some schools expect you to attend chapel on a Sunday.

But yes, the holidays are great.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 1:28am

Valkie wrote on Sep 12th, 2017 at 8:09pm:

A teacher at my sons school once tried to talk down to me, explaining that many parents had difficulty with high school math.

I stated that I was an engineer and she said, yes but thats only applied math and not as complex as what she taught???????

I explained fluid dynamic theorey using Bernoulli equation and asked if she could determine the centroid of a mass, or even a simple beam deflection calculation.

She said of course

yes, I have had more had experiences with teachers than good ones.

they overrate themselves, a LOT

look at how our education is deteriorating against the world standards.
we have poor teachers.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #12 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 4:14am

Well like most things - they are probably like Sydney.
Getting paid more - for offering less.
Sydney was once a nicely priced city of quality.
Now its an over-priced city of quantity (mass-production Asia).

Now take it from me, because I did my Biology exam in Morse Code. I still can't see why I failed?  Huh

There are more than just 'one' right answer to a problem - directly.

Also, if someone wants to become a Teacher - they now have to prove that they have been in the workforce for a year (or two?) before they study. So they can show that they know what its like 'out there' and can prepare students with a bit more understanding.
I think that's a good move by the Ed Dept.
Nothing worse than an in-house smart-arse that has never left the classroom from Pre-school to their Honours Degree to their Lecturing about...  Roll Eyes

I didn't agree with Tony Wetherill's approach that a kid doing extremely well in the HSC in Mt Druitt has his score 'scaled down' because of his fellow student's dismal efforts, while a kid at some snooty prestigious school could sit around and do nothing, while his dismal score was 'scaled up' because of his fellow student's efforts.
I  bet you know which kid got into Uni.  Roll Eyes

I wouldn't say Teaching is totally an over-paid job.
Sure, it might be a 'cruise' in a Private school where every kid is on their best behaviour because their parent's would kill them if they compromised the fees being paid for them with a suspension or expelled.
While Teachers in Mt Druitt Govt Schools get spat on, punched, abused, crap amenities, bashed, ignored, sued, etc ...and that's including from the parents. Punishment is now also compromised ...for legal reasons.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 5:59am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Sep 13th, 2017 at 1:28am:
Valkie wrote on Sep 12th, 2017 at 8:09pm:

She said of course

yes, I have had more had experiences with teachers than good ones.

they overrate themselves, a LOT

look at how our education is deteriorating against the world standards.
we have poor teachers.

= ?

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 7:05am

teaching is overated.

the mistake made by "fat steve' and his "fat wife" is to be lazy and hand over this vital role to a low level public servant.

parents need to be good role models and understand how the world works.

i would rather read "the 7 habits of highly effective people" to my kids as a bed time story then read them "to kill a mockingbird".

interestingly, i was talking to my fencer the other day and his son , who dropped out of school at 15 and is now 20 was with him.
the kid just brought his first house for cash at 20!!.

the kid made (mick is no BS artist) 280 k last year fencing.

if your parents are good role models and draw the kids into their world (as opposed to leftard purgatory) then the skys the limit.

i said to this kid (young man), whats next.

he has his eyes on some lovely river flats where he is going to grow sorghum for the feed lot industry.

thats the way...the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
just how nature intended it.

hopefully by 30 he'll be a millionaire and he'll have some kids with uni degrees polishing his boots and cleaning his toilet  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print