Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Coaches of youth do great harm (Read 330 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Coaches of youth do great harm
Sep 4th, 2017 at 7:37pm

I have seen this sort of 'winning is everything' mentality from many coaches of kids.

it's terrible

Quote:
Denver police launched an investigation this week after a video from a high school cheerleading practice surfaced that the superintendent called "extremely distressing."

In the video, a teenage girl's face contorts in pain as she performs a split by extending her legs in opposite directions while sitting on the floor. An adult appears to be pushing her down and other girls hold her arms, apparently to prevent her from breaking out of the split. The girl cries, repeatedly asking them to "please stop."
The investigation of cheer practice at East High School will involve child abuse detectives, police said. Nobody has been charged.
Denver Public Schools announced five employees had been placed on leave -- East High Principal Andy Mendelsberg, Assistant Principal Lisa Porter, Cheer Coach Ozell Williams, Assistant Cheer Coach Mariah Cladis and school system Deputy General Counsel Michael Hickman.
None of them replied when CNN reached out to them for comment on Thursday.
Williams was quoted in the Denver Post as saying the video is being taken out of context.
"You can definitely say that what was in the video could be seen in a different light," Williams said. "I would love to tell my story, but I can't say anything else at this time."
In a news release, Superintendent Tom Boasberg said he became aware Wednesday of the "exercise used at cheer practices." Putting the employees on leave was standard policy and did not prejudge them, he said.
"I cannot state strongly enough -- as the superintendent of the school district and the father of two high school-aged daughters -- that the images and actions depicted are extremely distressing and absolutely contrary to our core values as a public school community," Boasberg said of the video.
Parents speak out
The video was shot at a June 6 practice, said Eric and Kirsten Wakefield, the parents of Ally Wakefield, 13, the student shown in the video.
Eric Wakefield said they liked Williams' disciplined coaching style at first but the intense practices -- sometimes seven days a week -- were tough for their daughter.
At the practice, Ally was forced to perform the split shown in the video, the parents said, though she was not flexible enough to do it on her own.
"That day was the first big physical activity practice -- this was probably within the first week or two of cheerleading," Eric Wakefield said. "The coach said 'We've got to limber you guys up.'"
"My daughter is begging them to stop," Kirsten Wakefield told CNN affiliate KMGH in describing the scene on the video. "It's not right."
Kirsten Wakefield, who says she's a former cheerleader, said the coach ordered other girls to do the split. If they didn't, they risked being cut from the team, she said.
Ally injured muscles and ligaments in her groin area, as well as her hamstring, according to her parents. Physical therapy was ordered twice a week, and her doctor told Ally to limit her activity, they said.
Even with her injuries, Ally went to cheer practice daily to support the squad and her friends, her father said.
Ally's parents said they met with Mendelsberg, the school principal, Williams and his two assistants early this summer to talk about how to proceed. Mendelsberg said the athletic department would assist with injury rehabilitation, the parents said.
Then everyone went away for summer break.
The school superintendent's statement did not address the meeting with the principal, and Mendelsberg and Williams did not return calls seeking comment on what was discussed.
When cheer practice resumed, other parents noticed the severity of the practices, the Wakefields said. Renewed complaints about the coach were brought to the East High administrators with no resolution, the Wakefields said.
A few days ago, Kirsten Wakefield shared the video showing Ally crying to a local media outlet, she said.
That's when the school system took action, the Wakefields said.
USA Cheer statement
The USA Cheer National Safety Council, a nonprofit that aims to increase interest in cheer and promote safety, said its officials had viewed the video.
"The American Association of Cheerleading Coaches and Administrators (AACCA) does not condone the coach's actions, and rejects them to the fullest extent," Executive Director Jim Lord said in a statement. "Stretching should never be taken to the level of causing pain. Of even more concern is failure to act when it is clear that a cheerleader is in extreme pain and begging to stop." ...........

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/08/25/us/denver-cheerleaders-forced-into-splits-trnd...

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

philperth2010

Australian Politics

Perth
Re: Coaches of youth do great harm
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 7:56pm

I have seen it first hand Sprint....Some of the parents do not help either by wanting their kids to be the next gold medallist or world champion at all costs....The thing is that some do succeed and are set for life....In the end I suppose it is up to the individual to speak up if they believe their is a problem!!!

Sad Sad Sad

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Coaches of youth do great harm
Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 8:16pm

I've seen it too.
yes, pretty hard to speak up when you are a kid and this is 'meant to be good fun.'

I see this as being a huge reason sports have fewer and fewer participants.

A kid down the road is really nice, plays union.
I often chat with him, tell him you won't always win, but you can always enjoy your game.

If coaches of youth have this idea mandated, in a few years the ethos of a local game would be better.

Oh, for the record, he is a samoan.
They are a lovely people.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print