Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 23
Send Topic Print
Prawns have eyes sliced off (Read 25799 times)
Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Re: Prawns have eyes sliced off
Reply #15 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 1:53pm

mothra wrote on Sep 4th, 2017 at 1:52pm:
Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Sep 4th, 2017 at 1:49pm:
mothra wrote on Sep 4th, 2017 at 1:45pm:
Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Sep 4th, 2017 at 1:43pm:
I'm dead certain I'm not defending the practice. To me the argument is like mulesing. You always want better practice, but show me a better solution first.

So, you accept unspeakable cruelty if it yields profit.

So don't sign the petition.

You've just committed a logical fallacy right there. I'm a realist, signing a petition like this is not going to stop people eating prawns, just as the awareness of mulesing doesnt stop people eating lamb or buying wool.

On the other hand, whole hordes of people buying prawns from manufacturers who do not use ablation techniques will change the industry.

Yes. That's what the petition is for. And what i'm doing here. Rasising awareness.

Were i a prawn eater, upon learning this, i would seek to ethically source my prawns.

That would be my primary reaction.

Your primary reaction, on the other hand, was to justify it and refute that prawns would rather like eyes, if it's all the same to everyone.

No my reaction would be the same as yours. To ethically source prawns, or do more research into how widepread this practice usually is, or if its a PETA style beat up.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #16 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 1:54pm

In other words facts.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 1:55pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Sep 4th, 2017 at 1:53pm:
I'm dead certain I'm not defending the practice. To me the argument is like mulesing. You always want better practice, but show me a better solution first.

You've just committed a logical fallacy right there. I'm a realist, signing a petition like this is not going to stop people eating prawns, just as the awareness of mulesing doesnt stop people eating lamb or buying wool.

On the other hand, whole hordes of people buying prawns from manufacturers who do not use ablation techniques will change the industry.

Yes. That's what the petition is for. And what i'm doing here. Rasising awareness.

Were i a prawn eater, upon learning this, i would seek to ethically source my prawns.

Your primary reaction, on the other hand, was to justify it and refute that prawns would rather like eyes, if it's all the same to everyone.

No my reaction would be the same as yours. To ethically source prawns, or do more research into how widepread this practice usually is, or if its a PETA style beat up.

Yet, it wasn't, was it. You just talked about how it was financially nonviable not to and said that it didn't matter if prawns had their eyes sliced or burnt off.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 1:57pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Sep 4th, 2017 at 1:54pm:
In other words facts.

It's either okay with you or it isn't. I'm not interested in trying to convince you to care about prawns. That's entirely up to you.

Sign the petition, don't sign the petition. Whatever.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #19 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 1:57pm

mothra wrote on Sep 4th, 2017 at 1:55pm:

Yet, it wasn't, was it. You just talked about how it was financially nonviable not to and said that it didn't matter if prawns had their eyes sliced or burnt off.

Get off your damn high horse and actually read I wrote again.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 2:00pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Sep 4th, 2017 at 1:57pm:

I did. And my reflection of it is spot on.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #21 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 2:00pm

mothra wrote on Sep 4th, 2017 at 1:57pm:
In other words facts.

It's either okay with you or it isn't. I'm not interested in trying to convince you to care about prawns. That's entirely up to you.

Cool, I wont sign the petition, I'll do stuff that actually works, like trying to source prawns from areas that dont use ablation.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #22 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 2:01pm

mothra wrote on Sep 4th, 2017 at 2:00pm:

I said get off your high horse and then do it. In other words, stop being a emotional retard and try facts.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 2:02pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Sep 4th, 2017 at 2:00pm:
mothra wrote on Sep 4th, 2017 at 1:57pm:
In other words facts.

Cool, I wont sign the petition, I'll do stuff that actually works, like trying to source prawns from areas that dont use ablation.

And how do you know about ablation, Bojack?

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 2:02pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Sep 4th, 2017 at 2:01pm:

I said get off your high horse and then do it. In other words, stop being a emotional retard and try facts.

Where have i not stated facts?

It seems to me you just don't like the summary of your input thus far. I can understand why.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #25 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 2:04pm

Prawns are feminists and other ideologues now?  Who'd 've thunk it?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #26 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 2:06pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Sep 4th, 2017 at 1:23pm:
I've signed it.

The human species disgusts me for the most part.

Where is the leadership from our politicians to ban these cruel practices, but instead we have to go begging and signing petitions.

Utterly pathetic.

I agree....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #27 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 2:06pm

mothra wrote on Sep 4th, 2017 at 2:02pm:
Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Sep 4th, 2017 at 2:01pm:

Where have i not stated facts?

It seems to me you just don't like the summary of your input thus far. I can understand why.

Apart from the misinterpretation of i dont defend the practice, but .....

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 2:20pm

But Bojack, you did defend the practice. You were more focused on whether it was a PETA style beat-up than the animals rights violation that you strove to justify it .. even going so far as to question what prawns would need with eyes anyway, at least both of them.

And because it's just a pesky animal rights campaign, you won't sign the petition because you don't think anything so trivial an prawns being so commercially over-bred that they become so distressed they require having their eyes removed to make reproduction economically viable should be considered by our decision makers.

Not really important enough is it? You just will ask the fish monger is those prawns in the window had their eyes cut or burnt off.

Thank you for doing something.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #29 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 2:24pm

Why is it that we try to ban sustainable harvest of free range animals before this sort of thing?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 23
Send Topic Print