Send Topic Print
Kia (Read 2320 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Kia
Reply #15 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 9:11pm

AiA wrote on Sep 13th, 2017 at 9:07pm:
there are some diesel manual shift cars that will get a million miles easy - the VW Jetta MK4 will.

so will almost every toyota

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #16 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 9:15pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Sep 13th, 2017 at 9:11pm:
there are some diesel manual shift cars that will get a million miles easy - the VW Jetta MK4 will.

A camry will bore you to death before they stop running  Smiley

IBI

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #17 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 9:30pm

Gordon wrote on Sep 13th, 2017 at 9:15pm:
Sprintcyclist wrote on Sep 13th, 2017 at 9:11pm:

A camry will bore you to death before they stop running  Smiley

yes.

I have my 2nd camry.
The last one I gave to one of my sons.

this ones not even got 1/4 million kms on it.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #18 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 10:03pm

I have a Mazda Bravo 96
635,000kms.
Few months ago it got its 3rd engine.
Love it

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #19 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 10:44pm

You mean the VW pollution mobile?

My Hyundai i30 Diesel is an excellent runabout.   Reliable and cheap to run.    Cool

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #20 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 10:49pm

Jasin wrote on Sep 13th, 2017 at 10:03pm:
I have a Mazda Bravo 96
635,000kms.
Few months ago it got its 3rd engine.
Love it

I don't make a habit of responding to you given you are very confused as to your own identity.....but this is an exception.

Ssang Yong Stavic....2011.  Now has 750,000 klms.  Original engine, transmission and diff.  Taxi.

It's the second I've used as a Cab.  The first went (as a Cab) to about 950,000 klms, same story except at 700,000 klms, the transmission was replaced.

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #21 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 12:05am

I am talking "miles" not "kilometers" ...

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #22 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 3:14am

Quote:
Toyota is going to dismantle and study this 2007 Tundra pickup truck, which single-owner Victor Sheppard put over a million miles on in less than a decade. It’s still standing strong with the original engine, transmission and paint job.

Sheppard just swapped the truck out for a new one at a dealership near New Orleans. Apparently the 2016 Tundra he has now is the 16th Tundra he’s owned in his lifetime. Big fan of the brand!

The 2007 Tundra was the first of the second generation body style the truck is still rocking today, and the first Tundra to be entirely built at Toyota’s factory in San Antonio, Texas. The Tundra nameplate first showed up in 2000 and is still in my opinion one of the most underrated rigs on the road.

Toyota says the million-mile truck, which has the V6 engine*, has survived this long with no extraordinary maintenance outside “timing belt replacements, oil changes, and the manufacturer’s regularly scheduled check-ups,” in a press release.

(*Correction: the dealership originally told me this truck had a 4.6 V8, but Toyota has informed me it’s actually a 4.0 V6 truck.)

Though obviously every fluid, and the tires, would have to have been changed more than a few times over the truck’s busy lifetime.

Other Toyotas have also become famous hitting hilariously high mileages and refusing to die.

(Image: Toyota)
“My truck looks great, and, except for a few little dents, it’s almost like new,” said Sheppard. “Even the seats look just as they were when I bought it. They’re not as clean, of course, but they’re not busted or worn out.”

Looks like the bra and skidplate are a little tired, but otherwise a solid-looking pickup. (Image: Toyota)
This man racked up more than 100,000 miles a year by “regularly driving long-haul trips from his home (presumably in Louisiana) to North Dakota, Wyoming, and Virginia” for his job.

And here I thought my old Tundra was long in the tooth at 300,000 miles.

Hopefully Toyota will make some videos about this well-used Tundra they’re taking delivery of. I’d love to see what the inside of the engine looks like after that much real-world wear.

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/heres-what-a-toyota-truck-looks-like-after-1-000-0...

those toyota V6 petrol engines are magnificent.
Beautiful motors.

BMW/Merc  have nothing remotely as good as those.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #23 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 3:20am

https://highmileclub.wordpress.com/tag/camry/

lots of them running like a toyota ...........

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #24 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 4:22am

My wife has fairly new Camry. She seems happy with it ... probably because she has no problems with it. I am driving a Nissan Frontier, which seems not to get good reviews but I don't understand why - it gives me no headaches.

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #25 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 3:18pm

Was talking to a lady at work today about 'German Junk.'

She was shocked I said that.
Then agreed when she realised her mazda3 is perfect and her boyfriends WV has endless problems.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #26 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 3:22pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Sep 15th, 2017 at 3:18pm:
Was talking to a lady at work today about 'German Junk.'

She was shocked I said that.
Then agreed when she realised her mazda3 is perfect and her boyfriends WV has endless problems.

Getrag DC boxes have been causing loads of problems for all Euros, then you have VW who give appalling service when there are issues.

IBI

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #27 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 12:16am

During the last economic downturn (thanks to the USA).
Mercedes & BMW really skimped on their production lines.
Riding the reputation of past ages. Their new cars came out as complete crap. Made cheaply and sold expensively.
All done in desperation to just keep the Companies alive.
VW fared better but still had its problems.

Buy two Great Wall utes to last 5 years each and you still come out $30,000 better off than one Hilux ute for 10 years.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

minarchist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 10:54am

If you want a car with an engine that will outlast the sun, buy a car with either a Toyota 1UZ-FE or a Ford Barra I6.

The 1UZ-FE was originally designed as a racing engine, but was instead chosen by Toyota as the engine for their then newly created Lexus LS400. There are numerous examples of the car pushing 500,000 miles (not kms) without any engine overhauls. If you search on Google, you'll find an example of a used LS400 that someone purchased with over 900,000 miles who is trying to crack the 1,000,000 mark. As a result, the 1UZ-FE is increasingly being used for engine swaps due to the fact that the engine can be super or turbo charged to an output of over 500 Hp with little or no modifications to the engine.

The Ford Barra I6 was built in both NA and turbo forms. Used for the BA, BF and FG series of Falcons, a used car search will bring numerous examples of ex taxis in that range pushing well over 700,000 kms (mind you, I probably wouldn't buy an ex taxi without burning the back seat). The turbo version, modified with higher grade internals, has been know to have an output in excess of 1000 Hp.

People accuse Capitalism of being a "dog eat dog" system, yet it was the Communists who ate each other when they were starving!

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #29 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 8:34pm

I used to work for Toyota and in all honesty, I do think they are all-round pretty good vehicles. Some, like the Kluger are fizzers. But overall, pretty good.
I do love the Lexus series though.
Definitely leave the Mercs and Beamers in their dust.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print