Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Concrete Gravity Trains (Read 2365 times)
Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: Concrete Gravity Trains
Reply #15 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 1:47pm

freediver wrote on Aug 30th, 2017 at 12:03am:
minarchist wrote on Aug 29th, 2017 at 10:55am:
Reading the technical details on this system, I'm not very impressed

Quote:
While it may sound absurd, in only a few years, Nevada's electrical grid may be stabilized by a fleet of automated trains weighing 300 tons each. The company has specifically designed the system to work best on a grade of 7.2%. This allows the best transfer of energy from potential to kinetic while also allowing the trains to maintain stability. When each 300-ton train moves down the slope, it can provide 50MW of power to help stabilize the grid. In total, the track for the Nevada system will stretch 9.2 kilometers through the desert with an elevation differential of 640 meters (2100 feet).

While the system may be useful in some circumstances, it relies on being built in a mountainous region and seems to cover a large footprint of land for a small amount of energy storage. I didn't see any costs in the article either, so I don't know how economical this energy storage system is compared to others.

Gordon wrote on Aug 21st, 2017 at 9:07am:
miketrees wrote on Aug 21st, 2017 at 8:58am:
I still think compressed air would be more simple

I guess it comes to the maintenance of high pressure tanks?
Could be more suitable in dry environments.

The concrete train is claiming 80% efficiency!!!

Flywheels have the same level of efficiency and have a smaller footprint. I don't know why there seems to be little interest in flywheel systems, given that their current cost per Wh is cheaper than lithium batteries and a single unit can last for up to 30 years.

A flywheel keeps losing energy. A train on top of a hill will just stay there, not losing any, waiting until the energy is needed.

Dams tend to have  large footprint as well, over prime agricultural land rather than steep mountain side. But still a lot cheaper than the train idea I would expect. And flywheels would be the most expensive of the three.

I like pumped hydro for when the geography just happens to be perfect, but I reckon the trains would be cheaper particularly if decommissioned rail infrastructure previously used for mining etc can be re-purposed.

IBI

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Concrete Gravity Trains
Reply #16 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 9:42pm

You can't use decommissioned rail infrastructure. And no-one deliberately makes a train line with an 8% incline.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print