Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Marriage ~ A Sackable Offence. (Read 8141 times)
Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Re: Marriage ~ A Sackable Offence.
Reply #75 - Aug 20th, 2017 at 11:10pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Aug 20th, 2017 at 10:09pm:
If you can't meet the work requirements - tough luck.

Being legally entitled to marry does not mean that your employer should sanction your particular style of marriage, particularly in a religious institution.  I'm sure the same would apply to polygamists etc...

Nobody is expecting the employer to sanction it, it is none of the employers business either way.

With one or two exceptions the employer has no place in your bedroom.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #76 - Aug 20th, 2017 at 11:34pm

Dnarever wrote on Aug 20th, 2017 at 11:10pm:

Being legally entitled to marry does not mean that your employer should sanction your particular style of marriage, particularly in a religious institution.  I'm sure the same would apply to polygamists etc...

Nobody is expecting the employer to sanction it, it is none of the employers business either way.

With one or two exceptions the employer has no place in your bedroom.

I think this kind of thing has come up before.... and I suspect this is a pre-emptive move by that church to bring out into discussion the issues or 'morality' v 'rights', and how that may impinge upon the moral stance of that church.

I think the morals side of it is what they are considering - I mean - they would not accept someone married to a bridge... or a goat.... and altering the religious sanctity of marriage would appear to give them some ground on which to base their job requirements.

In their eyes, marriage is between man and woman... if that is a requirement of the job or that you entertain no other form of marriage .......... this is indeed an interesting issue to tax the minds of the courts and the public.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #77 - Aug 20th, 2017 at 11:36pm

John Smith wrote on Aug 20th, 2017 at 10:16pm:

no one asked the church to sanction anything.

They are laying out their job requirements...... and whether or not you ask them to, they currently only sanction man/woman marriage, so the demand that they sanction another form is an imposition from without, and is thus open to discussion.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #78 - Aug 20th, 2017 at 11:37pm

____ wrote on Aug 20th, 2017 at 10:17pm:

Polygamy is illegal. Marriage isn't.
What's next. If a women falls pregnant, outside of marriage, she should be sacked?

SSM is currently not legal..... you are reaching.....

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #79 - Aug 20th, 2017 at 11:40pm

Dnarever wrote on Aug 20th, 2017 at 11:09pm:
John Smith wrote on Aug 20th, 2017 at 11:00am:
Gordon wrote on Aug 20th, 2017 at 10:59am:
What % of Catholic priests are gay ? I'd go with about 50%?

i suspect even higher than that

I would guess a little lower but higher than the general public.

Not relevant - how many such are seeking SS marriage?  If sworn to celibacy, it may well be that they could be gay but restrain themselves at all times, and certainly would not wish to break their oath of celibacy ... some people can hold to an oath, you know, hard though it may be.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #80 - Aug 21st, 2017 at 1:01am

Sackable offence... afraid I don't get that...
of course.. IMHO...?

anyone who wants to get married is in for a whole world of pain. If you want that, then go ahead.

I think the sex of the individual is irrelevant, whatever John Howard might believe.

There was no real marriage as we know it, before the LATE NINETEENTH CENTURY.

Claims it is an age old tradition that all men and women adhered to is just ludicrous.

Marriage?  should be one between equals.. Yes?

The suffragette movement starting  in the late 19th Century are alone, responsible for this notion. Prior to that? Women girls and children were chattel.

Only the nobility actually could claim to marriage. Peasants were allowed to co-habit, and things did improve, all over the world, as the poor and bonded were gradually emancipated.
Hey we still haven't achieved equality. On too many levels..

BUT  this garbage claim about marriage being the backbone of our society for millennia is just purely that. Rubbish.

live every day

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #81 - Aug 21st, 2017 at 6:02am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Aug 20th, 2017 at 11:37pm:
____ wrote on Aug 20th, 2017 at 10:17pm:

Polygamy is illegal. Marriage isn't.
What's next. If a women falls pregnant, outside of marriage, she should be sacked?

SSM is currently not legal..... you are reaching.....

Th debate is over church sacking people if they marry, when marriage equality occurs. Nothing to do with Polygamy.

Polygamy is a red herring you introduced.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #82 - Aug 21st, 2017 at 6:30am

First of all the issue is SSM - not marriage equality which is not a given since all currently enjoy precisely the same rights to marriage...

....  and secondly, the issue is whether or not an organisation, in this case a religious institution, may set standards that accord with its moral stance in the world.

This is a far bigger issue of separation of church and state than just whether or not gays can work there if married, and I believe that is the line on which the Catholic church has drawn its line (sic)... the real question at the bottom here is should a religious institution be compelled to employ certain people whose moral position it finds ambiguous.

I find it odd that gays may work there now, if this church is then going to draw the line at their being married - legally or religiously or whatever.

Don't worry your little head about red herrings.... plenty of meat in the ssm argument now.... but do try to understand an example.

― John Adams

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #83 - Aug 21st, 2017 at 6:49am

It is marriage equality.

In 2004, Mr Howard removed the marriage option from a section of the population, creating an apartheid marriage system.

This is all about returning back to a state of equilibrium.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #84 - Aug 21st, 2017 at 7:07am

____ wrote on Aug 21st, 2017 at 6:49am:
It is marriage equality.

In 2004, Mr Howard removed the marriage option from a section of the population, creating an apartheid marriage system.

This is all about returning back to a state of equilibrium.

No - it's not.  Gays are equally entitled to marry under the existing rules.... there is nothing 'equal' about a special dispensation which only applies to a small group.

Once again - there is no specific right to marriage..the only Right that adheres to marriage is to not be compelled to marry against one's will...

It would be worse if, for instance, the Guv were to say that Reg has the right to marry Fred, but just can't do it.... like Reg having babies in Life of Brian... you can have the right but not the means...

Perhaps that is more of an argument re the Catholic church... and again I think they are pre-empting any demand that their church be forced to marry people it currently does not.

I don't believe they marry Muslims either, but I suppose they could.

― John Adams

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #85 - Aug 21st, 2017 at 7:34am

Gays marrying under this 2004 apartheid marriage model means marrying someone they are not attracted to. Not acceptable.

This (not so) modern church is a modern day Judas. A reincarnated Jesus, as a church carpenter, would be persecuted for marrying his male lover.

2000 years and these churches still haven't realised their own sins.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #86 - Aug 21st, 2017 at 8:03am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Aug 20th, 2017 at 11:36pm:

They are laying out their job requirements...... and whether or not you ask them to, they currently only sanction man/woman marriage, so the demand that they sanction another form is an imposition from without, and is thus open to discussion.

again, no one is asking them to sanction anything.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #87 - Aug 21st, 2017 at 10:19am

John Smith wrote on Aug 21st, 2017 at 8:03am:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Aug 20th, 2017 at 11:36pm:

again, no one is asking them to sanction anything.

They already do - as a religious organisation, sanction that marriage is between man and woman...

― John Adams

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #88 - Aug 21st, 2017 at 7:47pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Aug 20th, 2017 at 2:44pm:
So when are the left going to come down on Muslims for not allowing gay marriage? Huh

Excellent question.

Notice how the apologists refuse to respond or answer?

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #89 - Aug 21st, 2017 at 7:49pm

Valkie wrote on Aug 21st, 2017 at 7:47pm:
Mr Hammer wrote on Aug 20th, 2017 at 2:44pm:
So when are the left going to come down on Muslims for not allowing gay marriage? Huh

Excellent question.

Notice how the apologists refuse to respond or answer?
Cheers Vaulkie. It's very hypocritical.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print