Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tear down Captain Cook Statues (Read 1324 times)
Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Tear down Captain Cook Statues
Aug 19th, 2017 at 12:50pm

How long before The Greens AKA 'The Party for Pedophiles' wants our historic statues torn down?

America tears down its racist history, we ignore ours

I passed by Hyde Park this week in the heart of Sydney and looked again on the statue of Captain James Cook. It has pride of place, a monument to the man who in 1770 claimed this continent for the British crown.

On the base of the statue is an inscription in bold letters:

DISCOVERED THIS TERRITORY

It has stood since 1879. When it was unveiled more than 60,000 people turned out. The procession at the time was the largest ever seen in Sydney.

No-one present then questioned that this was the man who founded the nation.

But think about that today. Think of those words: "Discovered this territory."

My ancestors where here when Cook dropped anchor. We know now that the first peoples of this continent had been here for at least 65,000 years, for us the beginning of human time.

Yet this statue speaks to emptiness, it speaks to our invisibility; it says that nothing truly mattered, nothing truly counted until a white sailor first walked on these shores.

The statue speaks still to terra nullius and the violent rupture of Aboriginal society and a legacy of pain and suffering that endures today.

I have certainly been thinking about that this week as I have watched the spectre of American history cast a dark shadow over that nation.

I have pondered the questions of heritage and hate.

Statues are coming down, old flags of division are being put away and the country is tearing itself apart.

Fascists, neo-Nazis and klansmen who wrap themselves in the flag of the Confederacy are reigniting the old grievances of the civil war.
We must learn from history

Sara James grew up in Virginia with a Southern father and a Yankee mother. She says America's history is about much more than the Civil War.

Charlottesville, Virginia, which has become a battleground for white supremacists, met with the resistance of anti-fascist protesters and it has ended in violence and death.

The world has witnessed the disgrace of an American President parsing his words and finding excuses for people who chanted Nazi slogans and vowed that "Jews will not replace us".

Where other political leaders on all sides of American politics have called this evil by its name, Donald Trump has looked for blame "on both sides", his press conferences betraying just how indebted Mr Trump is to the forces of extreme right, white-hate groups who have helped put him in the White House.

As The New York Times editorial read: "There's a moral awakening taking place across America, but President Trump is still hiding under his blanket."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-18/america-tears-down-its-racist-history-we-i...

IBI

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Tear down Captian Cook Statues
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 12:52pm

we have capt. cook statues?  Shocked Shocked

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: Tear down Captain Cook Statues
Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 12:56pm

Tear it down!!!

IBI

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #3 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 1:03pm

"Charlottesville, Virginia, which has become a battleground for white supremacists, met with the resistance of anti-fascist protesters and it has ended in violence and death."

Now this is the kind of biased reporting I'm talking about - apparently it is a "battleground for white supremacists", who had no intention of joining battle with anyone when they organised their legitimate march, but it is not a "battleground for non-white supremacists", who are exempt from criticism for starting a conflict and organising an illegitimate counter-march because they are "anti-fascist protesters".

Could someone explain to me how all this hyperbole and lop-sided nonsense helps anyone?  claiming the moral high ground is something either side could do here, should they choose... but it seems the only 'side' of fascist behaviour that gets any airing is if it comes from the 'white supremacists'.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #4 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 1:12pm

Trump IS the anti-fascist because he is the one who took on the media and won: he won the people and the election because of it!

He made the people realise they couldn't be bullied by the media anymore.... AND HE bugger*'N WON THE ELECTION AND AMERICANS ARE NOW LIVING THE DREAM OF STICKING THEIR FINGER TO THE MEDIA FASCISTS... ATLEAST THE ONES THAT VOTED FOR HIM  Wink Wink Wink Wink

THEY TRULY MADE HISTORY!

......Australia has an illegitimate Government!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 1:19pm

Gordon wrote on Aug 19th, 2017 at 12:50pm:
How long before The Greens AKA 'The Party for Pedophiles' wants our historic statues torn down?

America tears down its racist history, we ignore ours

I passed by Hyde Park this week in the heart of Sydney and looked again on the statue of Captain James Cook. It has pride of place, a monument to the man who in 1770 claimed this continent for the British crown.

On the base of the statue is an inscription in bold letters:

DISCOVERED THIS TERRITORY

It has stood since 1879. When it was unveiled more than 60,000 people turned out. The procession at the time was the largest ever seen in Sydney.

No-one present then questioned that this was the man who founded the nation.

But think about that today. Think of those words: "Discovered this territory."

My ancestors where here when Cook dropped anchor. We know now that the first peoples of this continent had been here for at least 65,000 years, for us the beginning of human time.

Yet this statue speaks to emptiness, it speaks to our invisibility; it says that nothing truly mattered, nothing truly counted until a white sailor first walked on these shores.

The statue speaks still to terra nullius and the violent rupture of Aboriginal society and a legacy of pain and suffering that endures today.

I have certainly been thinking about that this week as I have watched the spectre of American history cast a dark shadow over that nation.

I have pondered the questions of heritage and hate.

Statues are coming down, old flags of division are being put away and the country is tearing itself apart.

Fascists, neo-Nazis and klansmen who wrap themselves in the flag of the Confederacy are reigniting the old grievances of the civil war.
We must learn from history

Sara James grew up in Virginia with a Southern father and a Yankee mother. She says America's history is about much more than the Civil War.

Charlottesville, Virginia, which has become a battleground for white supremacists, met with the resistance of anti-fascist protesters and it has ended in violence and death.

The world has witnessed the disgrace of an American President parsing his words and finding excuses for people who chanted Nazi slogans and vowed that "Jews will not replace us".

Where other political leaders on all sides of American politics have called this evil by its name, Donald Trump has looked for blame "on both sides", his press conferences betraying just how indebted Mr Trump is to the forces of extreme right, white-hate groups who have helped put him in the White House.

As The New York Times editorial read: "There's a moral awakening taking place across America, but President Trump is still hiding under his blanket."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-18/america-tears-down-its-racist-history-we-i...

That's a lot to read into 3 words.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #6 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 1:33pm

Been fishing lately freediver?

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #7 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 1:34pm

John Smith wrote on Aug 19th, 2017 at 12:52pm:

And the odd statue of Jimmy as well.  Smiley  Smiley

I think he may have been a nazi
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2017 at 1:42pm by BigOl64 »  

images_079.jpg (8 KB | 20 )
images_079.jpg

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #8 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 1:37pm

TheFunPolice wrote on Aug 19th, 2017 at 1:33pm:
Been fishing lately freediver?

In this wind?  We've got 4m waves on a 6m swell.. or is it the other way around .... I ain't goin' out there today.... even the beach is getting washed away... again .. new sand banks everywhere when this finishes...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #9 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 1:37pm

The Abbos loved it when we came here -
they got social security money & didn't have to hunt for food.

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #10 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 1:39pm

Bobby. wrote on Aug 19th, 2017 at 1:37pm:

Exactly... the strong will survive and turn into millionaires like the rest of us!

Wink

(..then they'll forget all about their cousins and hate Christmas parties....  Shocked Shocked Shocked)

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #11 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 1:44pm

TheFunPolice wrote on Aug 19th, 2017 at 1:39pm:

Exactly... the strong will survive and turn into millionaires like the rest of us!

Wink

(..then they'll forget all about their cousins and hate Christmas parties....  Shocked Shocked Shocked)

Meanwhile the kangaroos are in plague proportions &
white people have to cull them &
leave the carcasses on the ground to rot.
That used to be bush tucker for the Abbos.

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #12 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 1:46pm

Bobby. wrote on Aug 19th, 2017 at 1:44pm:
TheFunPolice wrote on Aug 19th, 2017 at 1:39pm:

Wink

Meanwhile the kangaroos are in plague proportions &
white people have to cull them &
leave the carcasses on the ground to rot.
That used to be bush tucker for the Abbos.

Maybe we're just conditioning the soil for our next cunning plan!

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #13 - Aug 20th, 2017 at 3:19pm

You know what,  foreign nations have been conquering other nations for as long as humans have lived on the Earth

This whole Aboriginal thing is Crap with a capitol 'C'

Britain for instance has been conquered from everyone from the Germans to  the Romans yet examples of their culture along with other warring nations like the Vikings are littered across Britain and..it adds to their culture

When is this latest generation going get over the fact that the Brits came and conquered this nation a couple of hundred and a bit years ago?

Yes we can respect our black brothers these days but for heaven's sake get up off your knees and stop whining about it

As far as I can see the Aborigines have the tables firmly tilted in their favour from a society that just keeps, apologising, apologising  apologising

Stop it!

Get on with running the Country and suck it up!

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Aug 20th, 2017 at 3:28pm

BigOl64 wrote on Aug 19th, 2017 at 1:34pm:
John Smith wrote on Aug 19th, 2017 at 12:52pm:

And the odd statue of Jimmy as well.  Smiley  Smiley

I think he may have been a nazi

who's jimmy?

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print