Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Not all views deserve respect (Read 2064 times)
Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: Not all views deserve respect
Reply #30 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 12:40pm

Dnarever wrote on Aug 19th, 2017 at 9:35am:
cods wrote on Aug 19th, 2017 at 9:06am:
why do GAYS think its only Liberals  that disagree on this.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

have they checked out every NO vote?

Politically the divide does seem to sit around that point ???

I'd say that's only so at the very far left and far right end of the spectrum and much less obvious as you move towards the centre.

IBI

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #31 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 1:13pm

A slanted article, Gordon, wearing the sheep's clothing of ultimate reason, but continuously espousing one side of the question.

It discusses the anti-ssm position in isolation without according to the pro arguments the same values,  and accepts 'marriage equality' as a given, when there are countless argument points about the current equality rights in marriage that everyone has.  I've posted before on that, several times.

You see the same things with Islam, feminism and all the other -isms we endure these days... not only is one 'side' - usually the side creating division and dissent - exempt from criticism, but critical and even derogatory terms are applied to the 'other' side even before it gets its boots on, and that 'other side' is not accorded the same value or rights to open discussion as the 'correct' side.

It's like discussing 'white supremacy' in Charlottesville, with blatant refusal to accept in the media that the problems were and remain two-way - and that the 'white rights' people did not start the blue...... yet becuase they are labeled NAZIs' and 'white supremacists - they are automatically cast as wrong, and their views are given no value or hearing.

That, my son, is the true import of such articles as the one you posted.  It's called propaganda, and it can be very subtle.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #32 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 1:27pm

This may not be appropriate at this time,... but let's face it it's a bit uncouth fullstop: Steve Bannon who just got fired from the Trump team was infamous for once saying : "Would you rather your daughter had cancer or feminism?"

....obviously that's a shocking thing to say but I think it speaks volumes about the -isms in society.

Grin Grin Grin Grin

......Australia has an illegitimate Government!

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #33 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 1:31pm

Gordon wrote on Aug 19th, 2017 at 12:34pm:
thecuriousmail wrote on Aug 19th, 2017 at 9:07am:
We must always be amenable to reason.
Evidence and common-sense must rule.
I think it is right that ideas are tested.
But you can't argue with a religious view, because it's faith, and you can't argue with prejudice, because it's unmovable.

What is disappointing is when someone makes a point and the response is just a personal attack. Lot of that here!

You most certainly argue with religious ideas because after all, they're all just ideas.

There are leftists who are so loath to criticise anything to do with Islam, they give Wahhabism and even the worst aspects of the Taliban moral equivalence because it's a religion.

Actions speak louder than words: the idiots want to set up a caliphate then that's enough for me to be careful of who I make friends with in the workplace and I know many a lefty are the same.

Infact, I don't know any with proper relations with muslims. I'll talk to 'em alright but that's about it.

......Australia has an illegitimate Government!

IP Logged

thecuriousmail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Brisbane
Reply #34 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 2:40pm

But you can't argue with a religious view, because it's faith, and you can't argue with prejudice, because it's unmovable.

What is disappointing is when someone makes a point and the response is just a personal attack. Lot of that here!

You most certainly argue with religious ideas because after all, they're all just ideas.

There are leftists who are so loath to criticise anything to do with Islam, they give Wahhabism and even the worst aspects of the Taliban moral equivalence because it's a religion.

Revolutionaries, for example, die for an idea.
Religious, christian or muslim, die for their faith. Martyrs.

No logic or reason or evidence ever thought or said or produced will change someone's "faith". They die for their faith, not an "idea": well if you can believe what dying religious people say, and I don't see not to.

I mentioned faith and prejudice as the two prime examples as to where no argument or reason can impact.

Faith and prejudice. The muslim terrorist who kills, and the white supremacist who kills, for example,  are different sides of the same coin.

thecuriousmail.wordpress.com
"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #35 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 5:15pm

No-one is born with these beliefs.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 6:13pm

TheFunPolice wrote on Aug 19th, 2017 at 1:31pm:

Actions speak louder than words: the idiots want to set up a caliphate then that's enough for me to be careful of who I make friends with in the workplace and I know many a lefty are the same.

Infact, I don't know any with proper relations with muslims. I'll talk to 'em alright but that's about it.

check with greg next time hes around... he has lots of mates who are muslim.. one even drinks with him in his local... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print