Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Which Race is Most Intelligent? (Read 4260 times)
Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Re: Which Race is Most Intelligent?
Reply #60 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 8:24pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Aug 19th, 2017 at 2:39am:
Yeah, Homo sapience, “wise man” but you wonder some times, just how bloody wise are we anyway? Most animals won’t chit in their nests—but we do!

And we force other species to conform to us. Low level wolves decided it was an easier life hanging around human settlement to life in the pack where higher level wolves bit them and teased them. Poor fools!

Early human no doubt appreciated the early warning mostly–wild wolves around their settlements or camps gave of a big truly–wild animal (lion or bear or truly wild wolves) approaching. Silly wolves, humans drove off the wilder of the semi–wild wolves and gradually tamed the wolves hanging around human settlements.

So now we have Irish Wolf Hounds, Bernese Mountain dogs—and chihuahuas.

What is more useless than a chihuahua? Bugger off! Before my crazed terrier the dog that lived with me was a chihuahua. Yes, yes, a lapdog BUT like all dogs she loved walking! A lapdog, one whose life if devoted to making its pack leader happy, I suppose.

My present dog is a terrier. Some Jack Russel (gives her that HUGE prey drive I reckon) some Maltese some—who knows, all terrier tho! Demi loves nothing so much as to spend every day exploring the back yard, looking for scent of possible prey. So far, 3 rats, 2 chickens and one lizard that I know of!

Terriers make up the largest class of dogs. The biggest terrier is the Airedale terrier, the result of a cross between the Welsh Terrier and the Otter Hound. When you are paying £1000 in the 19thC for a mile of trout or salmon stream you don’t want any *&@$ otters catching and eating trout/salmon and STUFF The Wind in the Willows!

Yorkshire terriers. Read Jerome K Jerome “Three Men in a Boat” about these “angelic” dogs! One day at Earth Dog practice a Yorkie was being coaxed to go though a “tunnel” (a three sided bit of woodwork (2 sides and a roof) and the instructor put treats every few cm along the length of the bit of tunnel sitting on the ground. Nope, the spoiled @$%*& Yorkie wanted N O T H I N G to do with it. I was next, walked into the ring with my mutt, took the lead off—and, ZZZZOOM! there she went eating all the treats the instructor had put down for the Yorkie  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Not silly!

Very far from silly indeed: she would go down the tunnel and even reached the (abattoir–slaughtered) rabbit but she always knew the easier way was above ground: oops,  fence was in the way.

Demi was rather better at Tracking: someone would leave an article at the start point then walk out a simple rectangular track (gets bigger and more complicated as you move up the ranks) and Demi was pretty good at following a track. The Bernese Mountain dogs and collies were more anxious to please their owners/pack leaders than a bloody terrier! Maybe I am unfair, she passed one trial fairly easily, the other two trials (to give us the Tracking Dog title) the bitch was more interested in following the thousand or so scent trails left by sheep, wallabies, rabbits and hares, wombats etc etc.

Anyway. We have dogs that can run faster, see better, smell better etc than a wild wolf. But the poor creatures gave up a HUGE amount of brain to live with us. Guess our ancient ancestors did not like too wild a wolf living around the perimeter of the campsite or maybe they liked the more docile wolves better?

Where packs of wild wolves and packs of feral dogs both live in the same area the wolves do much better than the feral dogs. We did ask our doggy friends to give up a lot to share our campfires and be thrown the odd bone even if they later left us to go back to the wild.

Some religions abhor dogs. Silly twits!

Dogs are bloody useful! Are you a bit deaf? A dog will let you know, oh yeah, that some cretin is standing at your front door—and if a burglar has broken in your dog will give you the time to barricade the room you are in and call the cops. A Rottweiler will likely deter a burglar anyway  Grin Grin Grin Living alone? Kids have left the nest, the spouse has shuffled off this mortal coil Grin? With a dog you are never lonely!

But dogs likely have more brains, more of the intelligence that allows them to live in human dwellings than a dolphin or its close relation the killer whale has. The big brain a dolphin has is needed to control its big boody.

Yes, I am sure that eventually we will learn to communicate with dolphins, but it will not be as rich a communication as we have with our dogs.

All carnivores are intelligent, have to be just to get a meal! To a carnivore famine is just one meal away. Carnivores need to be able to follow the herds of herbivores or be able to survive long periods with no meal. Even scavengers (scavenger/carnivores, e.g. hyaenas, Tasmanian Devil) have to be able to cope with no meals or follow the herds of herbivores.

Semi–wild dogs like dingoes or Cape Hunting Dogs have been used in the hunt: they have much more brain capacity than collies or terriers.

Alas! Even the mutt that shares your dwelling has more brains than a dolphin or whale.

OH I quite agree JM. My dog is smart.. she wants to please but she is a hunter. Bred to be a pigdog, she runs like the wind, has a nose that smells the birds in the sky, and a good eye for any movement of prey. I'd describe her as a Lurcher .

live every day

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #61 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 8:27pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Aug 19th, 2017 at 4:11pm:
Mr Hammer wrote on Aug 18th, 2017 at 2:45pm:
White people. White people are both a mixture physicality and intellect. Asians are smart but physically weak. Blacks are strong but dumb.

Well, anyone can be strong, regardless of race. But I don't think I have seen black people do more than run, jump and steal. White people seem to be multiskilled. Asians flexible.

Er  DHead? there was that matter of the American President.

Whatever your personal view, that cannot be denied..

live every day

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #62 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 8:30pm

Dnarever wrote on Aug 19th, 2017 at 8:21pm:
Quote:
Which Race is Most Intelligent?

The 4th at Randwick ?????

The Warwick Stakes   Smiley Smiley

live every day

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #63 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 10:01pm

capitosinora wrote on Aug 19th, 2017 at 9:43am:
rhino wrote on Aug 18th, 2017 at 8:27pm:
Mr Hammer wrote on Aug 18th, 2017 at 7:40pm:
[
Maoris have huge body's and big heads so they must have a large brain. But they are as dumb as dogs hit.
Maoris have smaller brains.

Genetically Maoris are Chinese.
Please next time try to be logical.
No they arent, try again. Damn theres some fools commenting in this thread.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #64 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 10:16pm

Emma wrote on Aug 19th, 2017 at 8:27pm:
UnSubRocky wrote on Aug 19th, 2017 at 4:11pm:
Mr Hammer wrote on Aug 18th, 2017 at 2:45pm:
White people. White people are both a mixture physicality and intellect. Asians are smart but physically weak. Blacks are strong but dumb.

Well, anyone can be strong, regardless of race. But I don't think I have seen black people do more than run, jump and steal. White people seem to be multiskilled. Asians flexible.

Er  DHead? there was that matter of the American President.

Whatever your personal view, that cannot be denied..

Oversensitive much? I am well aware of black people being able to work in professional jobs. The context for my response was to do with physicality.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #65 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 10:19pm

How very one-eyed of you.

live every day

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #66 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 11:00pm

I must have run over your dog to have pissed you off.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #67 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 11:06pm

Nothing personal really, except you do post and I do reply, should I consider it warranted. Smiley

live every day

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #68 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 11:12pm

Then whose dog did I run over?

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member