Send Topic Print
Cabbies Lose to Uber (Read 1901 times)
it_is_the_light
Gold Member

Christ Light

The Pyramid of LIGHT
Cabbies Lose to Uber
Aug 16th, 2017 at 1:58pm

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/uberx-passengers-can-travel-to-and-fro...

UberX takes off at Mebourne Airport as taxi blockade threat fizzles

UBERX is up and running at Melbourne Airport despite fears taxi drivers would blockade the new pick up area.

Friends Olivia Piccinin and Hayley Duncan returned home from Cambodia this afternoon and were two of the first UberX passengers to leave from the airport.

“It’s so great they’re finally here. I love them, they’re so friendly and offer such a wonderful service,” Ms Piccinin said.

Their driver, Isanka Damith, said he was very glad he was now allowed to operate from the airport.

“It’s exciting that’s it’s legal and there’s no trouble, it makes my job easier,” he said.

“I got my first trip within two minutes and it will allow me to earn some extra money without having to travel so far.”

Tasmanian mates Ben Turale and Joel Talcum caught their first ever Uber from outside the terminals.

“It benefits commuters to have them here, whether or not the cabbies get their panties in a knot doesn’t bother us,” Mr Turale said.

“It seems to be a lot cheaper,” Mr Talcum added.

ॐ May Much LOVE and CHRISTS LIGHT be upon and within us all.... namasté ▲ - : )  ╰დ╮ॐ╭დ╯
it_is_the_light it_is_the_light Christ+Light Christ+Light  
IP Logged

it_is_the_light
Gold Member

Christ Light

The Pyramid of LIGHT
Re: Cabbies Lose to Uber
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 1:59pm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-16/taxi-drivers-uber-protest-at-melbourne-air...

Melbourne taxis warn of more Uber protests at Tullamarine Airport

Taxi drivers are threatening to hold more protests at Melbourne Airport, after about 150 taxi drivers blockaded the main entrance overnight to protest against Uber winning the right to offer rides from the airport.

Airport authorities urged passengers to arrive early for their morning flights but there has been no major disruptions today.

The drivers blockaded the main entrance to the terminals on Tuesday night, with police issuing a number of infringement notices.

Two taxis were towed, police said.

The disruption prompted the airport to offer free rides on its shuttle bus service for affected passengers.

As of today, Uber drivers are formally allowed to pick up and drop off passengers at the airport. Previously they had parked nearby and waited for bookings.

Under new laws, Uber drivers must wait for a booking and cannot be hailed.

Taxi drivers have warned they might hold further protests against the new Uber rank.

Nina Massara, a taxi licence holder and part of the Victorian Taxi and Hire Car Families group, told ABC Radio Melbourne that Uber drivers were already "smudging the lines" of the new legislation.

"It appears for all intents and purposes they've already stretched the legislation … that's only been in force for a few days, which clearly states that rank and hail work is the clear purview of taxis," she said.

"Uber drivers have been habitually flouting the regulations since day dot, in fact they've been very openly and flagrantly thumbing their noses."
Public Transport Minister Jacinta Allan said the taxi drivers were being irresponsible.

"It causes great frustration for those passengers who have their journey delayed, and after a long journey you just want to get home," she said.

"This sort of behaviour will only drive frustrated and angry passengers to the very competition these people are protesting about."

Taxi drivers fighting Uber legalisation

Taxi and hire care drivers have been furious with the Victorian Government's moves to legalise the ride-sharing service Uber.

The Government is also overhauling the industry, abolishing taxi licences and introducing a single scheme for taxis, hire cars and ride-booking services.

Uber users will be slugged a $1 levy per trip to help compensate.

Taxi drivers have held a number of protest against the changes, including trying to storm State Parliament and holding go-slow processions along busy roads.

Ms Allan said the changes being introduced were fair to drivers.

"We know the taxi industry is going through a transition, that's why we've put in place the most generous transition support scheme of any state and this sort of behaviour does not advance their cause," she said.

ॐ May Much LOVE and CHRISTS LIGHT be upon and within us all.... namasté ▲ - : )  ╰დ╮ॐ╭დ╯
IP Logged

it_is_the_light
Gold Member

Christ Light

The Pyramid of LIGHT
Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 2:01pm

Quote:
The Government is also overhauling the industry, abolishing taxi licences and introducing a single scheme for taxis, hire cars and ride-booking services.

good job and about time ..

the old dinosaur taxi predatory system is well beyond its use by date ..

progress is established and the old rip off taxi service will die out quick ..

and not a moment too soon ..

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 2:01pm

Yuck

IBI

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 2:02pm

not too sure I agree with this.....what does Uber offer in the way of incentive???.. I think the cabbies have earned their right of way  at the airports....

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #5 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 2:10pm

cods wrote on Aug 16th, 2017 at 2:02pm:
not too sure I agree with this.....what does Uber offer in the way of incentive???.. I think the cabbies have earned their right of way  at the airports....

Cars that don't stink like a sacred river full of excrement and rotting corpses,  for starters  Smiley

IBI

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 2:38pm

How?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #7 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 3:06pm

Gordon wrote on Aug 16th, 2017 at 2:10pm:

Cars that don't stink like a sacred river full of excrement and rotting corpses,  for starters  Smiley

Have to admit I tried Uber for the first last week. I doubt I will ever head back to a Taxi now. Clean cars, you know where your Uber is and how far away it is, you dont need cash or a card, just your mobile.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 3:11pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Aug 17th, 2017 at 3:06pm:

Have to admit I tried Uber for the first last week. I doubt I will ever head back to a Taxi now. Clean cars, you know where your Uber is and how far away it is, you dont need cash or a card, just your mobile.

It must have been quite a while since you used a Cab...as knowing where it is, not needing cash or card, just your mobile ~ is available in Cabs.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #9 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 3:12pm

freediver wrote on Aug 17th, 2017 at 2:38pm:

How?

Payment of squillions of dollars, that's how.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #10 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 3:15pm

Aussie wrote on Aug 17th, 2017 at 3:11pm:
Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Aug 17th, 2017 at 3:06pm:

It must have been quite a while since you used a Cab...as knowing where it is, not needing cash or card, just your mobile ~ is available in Cabs.

Awww there there, its ok, one day, I'll be replaced by something ebtter too.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #11 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 3:16pm

PLus the other advantage was my uber driver had showered.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 3:16pm

You did not respond to my question.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #13 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 3:20pm

I didnt see a question mark, but it was July

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 3:28pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Aug 17th, 2017 at 3:20pm:
I didnt see a question mark, but it was July

Was the Cab filthy, did the Driver stink, did you watch it coming towards you, was cash avoidable, was a card avoidable, could you have done it over the phone.....or did you not try...or have you not downloaded the app?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print