Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 34
Send Topic Print
I Still Call Australia Hom .... ophobic (Read 27714 times)
Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: I Still Call Australia Hom .... ophobic
Reply #255 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 10:21pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Aug 12th, 2017 at 7:19pm:
Frank wrote on Aug 12th, 2017 at 7:18pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Aug 12th, 2017 at 5:09pm:
Frank wrote on Aug 12th, 2017 at 4:51pm:
one of your daddies calling himself your 'mummy.

Do you have an example of that?

Gays often refer to each other as 'she'.

Fascinating.

Now, do you have an example of what I asked for?

A simple yes or no will suffice.

[url]For some gay parents, Mother’s Day (or Father’s Day) is awkward
By Gail Cornwall May 8

One year for Father’s Day, Mike Cabotaje bought a picture frame for his daughter to give his partner. It read “Greatest Dad Ever,” which was odd he says, “because it suggests I’m second best at most.”

Many parents with young kids struggle, at least to some extent, with how to observe these holidays. Matriarchs of the blogosphere pen articles with titles such as “I Have To Pretend I Want To Spend Time With My Family” and “Give Yourself Permission To Celebrate YOU on Mother’s Day.”

Others, such as Cameron Smith, a partner at a large New York law firm, think of Mother’s Day and Father’s Day as “Hallmark card holidays” that don’t merit a celebration. Smith’s husband, Jeff Edwards — a former leading dancer with New York City Ballet and now a faculty member at the Juilliard School — says he didn’t do much for his parents when he was young, but for a more practical reason: His working class family didn’t have the leisure time to “mark the day in any dramatic way.”

Growing up with Filipino immigrant parents, Cabotaje, a San Francisco resident and Department of Health and Human Services attorney, says holidays were always different in his house than his friends’ homes. “One time, Santa Claus rang the doorbell on Christmas Eve and left presents on the doorstep,” he says. “On Mother’s Day, we went to Denny’s.”

But additional ideological, logistical and cultural issues surrounding these holidays come into play for these men now that they are same-sex parents.

Smith says, “I think for a straight couple there’s a lot of the ‘give them the day off’ thing, and we don’t do that obviously, because how would we do that for both of us?” In this way, their experience echoes that of many single parents who, Heather Buen, the woman behind Dallas Single Mom, says, “don’t have the luxury of having someone else make plans, decide on breakfast in bed or brunch on the patio.”

And the other holiday can take on a melancholy tinge when a child doesn’t have a mother or father to fete. “Father’s Day gets harder as the kids get older,” says Danielle Ramo-Larios, an assistant professor at University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine and mother of three with her wife, Sandy. “We get a lot more questions now that they hear about it from school, commercials and store displays.”

Cabotaje can relate: “There’s a little anxiety for me on Mother’s Day, since schools make a big deal of it and since most of our daughter’s friends have moms.”

The holidays can “create a perception of something being lacking,” agrees Smith.

Of course, every family is different. Ted MacGovern, a Seattle stay-at-home dad, and his husband Dan Shih, who recently ran for the Washington State House of Representatives, put the focus on their daughters’ grandmothers and aunts, giving them the projects made at school.

“The girls don’t think much about it,” MacGovern says: “They don’t have mothers, so no big deal.”

In some ways though, the experiences of married or partnered same-sex parents are distinct from those of single parents. Cabotaje says his daughter video-chats with her birth mother on Mother’s Day. Also, gay parents often do have two people, just not one who isn’t implicated in the holiday. Like Buen, Ramo-Larios and her wife “want Mother’s Day to be about the spoiling of the parent,” but with two mothers and three young kids, “to try to have a holiday that focuses on both parents individually has become absurd.”

Moreover, “same-sex parents don’t have any models on how to make that day work,” she says. “Do we focus on half a day for each parent? Just give up on the idea of being treated and have a family celebration? Do we get each other gifts? Do we both separately organize the kids to make things for the other mother? Or do we just say that’s too much work on a day that’s supposed to be relaxing for us?”

Thus far, Cabotaje and his partner have taken the group approach: “We just treat ourselves to a nice family meal out and hope that she won’t insist on Rainforest Cafe,” he says, laughing.

Ramo-Larios considered splitting the holidays. She, Mommy, would get Mother’s Day, and her wife, Mama, would get Father’s Day.

“That would fix the problem of focusing on one parent, but it brings up a whole other set of issues that may be confusing for the kids and invalidating for us,” she says. “Our 4-year-old would have the responsibility of telling his teacher, ‘I’m actually going to make this Father’s Day card for my Mama.’ And she isn’t their father. Neither of us is their father.”

Others agree that attempts to include gay couples in the off-holiday, though well-meaning, often don’t help. “We had an experience when someone wished us ‘Happy Mother’s Day’ and that felt very off and wrong,  almost offensive,” says Smith.
[url]https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/parenting/

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #256 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 10:22pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Aug 12th, 2017 at 7:19pm:
Frank wrote on Aug 12th, 2017 at 7:18pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Aug 12th, 2017 at 5:09pm:
Frank wrote on Aug 12th, 2017 at 4:51pm:
one of your daddies calling himself your 'mummy.

Do you have an example of that?

Gays often refer to each other as 'she'.

Fascinating.

Now, do you have an example of what I asked for?

A simple yes or no will suffice.

[url]For some gay parents, Mother’s Day (or Father’s Day) is awkward
By Gail Cornwall May 8

One year for Father’s Day, Mike Cabotaje bought a picture frame for his daughter to give his partner. It read “Greatest Dad Ever,” which was odd he says, “because it suggests I’m second best at most.”

Many parents with young kids struggle, at least to some extent, with how to observe these holidays. Matriarchs of the blogosphere pen articles with titles such as “I Have To Pretend I Want To Spend Time With My Family” and “Give Yourself Permission To Celebrate YOU on Mother’s Day.”

Others, such as Cameron Smith, a partner at a large New York law firm, think of Mother’s Day and Father’s Day as “Hallmark card holidays” that don’t merit a celebration. Smith’s husband, Jeff Edwards — a former leading dancer with New York City Ballet and now a faculty member at the Juilliard School — says he didn’t do much for his parents when he was young, but for a more practical reason: His working class family didn’t have the leisure time to “mark the day in any dramatic way.”

Growing up with Filipino immigrant parents, Cabotaje, a San Francisco resident and Department of Health and Human Services attorney, says holidays were always different in his house than his friends’ homes. “One time, Santa Claus rang the doorbell on Christmas Eve and left presents on the doorstep,” he says. “On Mother’s Day, we went to Denny’s.”

But additional ideological, logistical and cultural issues surrounding these holidays come into play for these men now that they are same-sex parents.

Smith says, “I think for a straight couple there’s a lot of the ‘give them the day off’ thing, and we don’t do that obviously, because how would we do that for both of us?” In this way, their experience echoes that of many single parents who, Heather Buen, the woman behind Dallas Single Mom, says, “don’t have the luxury of having someone else make plans, decide on breakfast in bed or brunch on the patio.”

And the other holiday can take on a melancholy tinge when a child doesn’t have a mother or father to fete. “Father’s Day gets harder as the kids get older,” says Danielle Ramo-Larios, an assistant professor at University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine and mother of three with her wife, Sandy. “We get a lot more questions now that they hear about it from school, commercials and store displays.”

Cabotaje can relate: “There’s a little anxiety for me on Mother’s Day, since schools make a big deal of it and since most of our daughter’s friends have moms.”

The holidays can “create a perception of something being lacking,” agrees Smith.

Of course, every family is different. Ted MacGovern, a Seattle stay-at-home dad, and his husband Dan Shih, who recently ran for the Washington State House of Representatives, put the focus on their daughters’ grandmothers and aunts, giving them the projects made at school.

“The girls don’t think much about it,” MacGovern says: “They don’t have mothers, so no big deal.”

In some ways though, the experiences of married or partnered same-sex parents are distinct from those of single parents. Cabotaje says his daughter video-chats with her birth mother on Mother’s Day. Also, gay parents often do have two people, just not one who isn’t implicated in the holiday. Like Buen, Ramo-Larios and her wife “want Mother’s Day to be about the spoiling of the parent,” but with two mothers and three young kids, “to try to have a holiday that focuses on both parents individually has become absurd.”

Moreover, “same-sex parents don’t have any models on how to make that day work,” she says. “Do we focus on half a day for each parent? Just give up on the idea of being treated and have a family celebration? Do we get each other gifts? Do we both separately organize the kids to make things for the other mother? Or do we just say that’s too much work on a day that’s supposed to be relaxing for us?”

Thus far, Cabotaje and his partner have taken the group approach: “We just treat ourselves to a nice family meal out and hope that she won’t insist on Rainforest Cafe,” he says, laughing.

Ramo-Larios considered splitting the holidays. She, Mommy, would get Mother’s Day, and her wife, Mama, would get Father’s Day.

“That would fix the problem of focusing on one parent, but it brings up a whole other set of issues that may be confusing for the kids and invalidating for us,” she says. “Our 4-year-old would have the responsibility of telling his teacher, ‘I’m actually going to make this Father’s Day card for my Mama.’ And she isn’t their father. Neither of us is their father.”

Others agree that attempts to include gay couples in the off-holiday, though well-meaning, often don’t help. “We had an experience when someone wished us ‘Happy Mother’s Day’ and that felt very off and wrong,  almost offensive,” says Smith.
[url]https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/parenting/

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #257 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 10:23pm

mothra wrote on Aug 12th, 2017 at 7:55pm:
Frank wrote on Aug 12th, 2017 at 7:41pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Aug 12th, 2017 at 6:49pm:
Ajax wrote on Aug 12th, 2017 at 6:44pm:
I had a normal upbringing and its just my opinion.

I am entitled to that aren't I.

You certainly are.

I just don't know where it comes from, that's all.

With all the information available to us today, I just can't see how anyone can hold a belief like that.

But, you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

Grin Grin Grin

You are parody of yourself, Turdy McTurface.

You have 'information available' do you?

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Frank, you do too. I'm honestly astonished so much of what has happened in the last few decades has utterly escaped you.

Do you get out much?

What happened in the last few decades that you MUST accept?

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #258 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 11:23pm

What has acceptance to do with it Frank? Isn't this abut availability of information?

Have you been paying attention, Frank? I think not.

Once we sort out where you stand on that one, we can move on to what you need to accept or not.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #259 - Aug 13th, 2017 at 12:08am

You are an idiot.
It's never been about changing the exact wording of the Act you fool.
Its been about changing the meaning of the act.
If you like its been about changing the meanng of the act by changing some of the wording.

The ACT itself is NOT CHANGED because the meaning is the same you idiot.

Labor even acknowledged it.

How many bloody times must I post the proof for you until you freakin get it!!!!!
Dipstick. Cheesy

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #260 - Aug 13th, 2017 at 12:10am

John Smith wrote on Aug 12th, 2017 at 9:23pm:
changing the wording of the act is changing the act goose .... I don't give a crap how many times you claim otherwise, all you're doing is highlighting just what a cretin you are.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Putting up other people saying stupid things isn't going to help you

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #261 - Aug 13th, 2017 at 12:15am

Waiting for the train that never comes.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #262 - Aug 13th, 2017 at 12:18am

Setanta wrote on Aug 13th, 2017 at 12:15am:
Waiting for the train that never comes.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #263 - Aug 13th, 2017 at 9:09am

How's THIS for ignorance and stupidity, epitomized, as part of the homophobic 'NO' team's argument ?

Quote:
Meanwhile, on Twitter, you have to see it to believe it. My own favourite so far, is an image of a happy groom and his bride, above the line, 

"I will never get to call her my wife …" 

Yup. If we allow marriage equality, all of us in traditional marriages will be diminished!

Good article
Have a full read

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #264 - Aug 13th, 2017 at 9:21am

just think after the postal...this topic will disappear...and every one will live happily ever after..

well thats the plan.. Sad

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #265 - Aug 13th, 2017 at 9:24am

Turnbull will never be forgiven for wasting $122 million on a stupid question about homos.

We are $575 Billion in debt
yet he has $122 million to waste.

http://www.australiandebtclock.com.au/

If Turnbull was fair he could find another 10 questions to add to the poll
or even as many as 100 questions.
Euthanasia is one question for sure.

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #266 - Aug 13th, 2017 at 9:33am

greggerypeccary wrote on Aug 12th, 2017 at 6:58pm:
Ajax wrote on Aug 12th, 2017 at 6:55pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Aug 12th, 2017 at 6:49pm:
Ajax wrote on Aug 12th, 2017 at 6:44pm:
I had a normal upbringing and its just my opinion.

I am entitled to that aren't I.

You certainly are.

I just don't know where it comes from, that's all.

With all the information available to us today, I just can't see how anyone can hold a belief like that.

But, you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

Gregg if I offend you I am sorry but I honestly believe that this minority group is not worthy of having the same status as a married couple who go on to raise children.

They can do whatever they want but to force me to accept them like that will never happen, law or no law.

Why do you keep mentioning children?

This is about marriage

The answer is simple and you already know it.

FAMILY = MARRIAGE + CHILDREN

WHERE MARRIAGE = MUM & DAD

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #267 - Aug 13th, 2017 at 9:34am

Bobby. wrote on Aug 13th, 2017 at 9:24am:
Turnbull will never be forgiven for wasting $122 million on a stupid question about homos.

I'm a tax payer and I say bring it on............... Wink

Money well spent.

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #268 - Aug 13th, 2017 at 9:42am

Ajax wrote on Aug 13th, 2017 at 9:34am:

Money well spent.

Using $122 million of borrowed money -  great idea.   Cheesy

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #269 - Aug 13th, 2017 at 9:46am

Bobby. wrote on Aug 13th, 2017 at 9:42am:
Ajax wrote on Aug 13th, 2017 at 9:34am:

Money well spent.

Using $122 million of borrowed money -  great idea.   Cheesy

We've spent more money for other more frivolous matters.

This is something all Australians should vote on imo and not a hand full of puppets in parliament.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 34
Send Topic Print