Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
what's the most off the beaten track your been? (Read 6092 times)
Jasin
Gold Member

Re: what's the most off the beaten track your been?
Reply #45 - Oct 26th, 2017 at 11:55am

What's the pic Bojack?
I just get a blank white square.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #46 - Oct 26th, 2017 at 12:39pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Oct 26th, 2017 at 8:37am:
Again thanks Captain Obvious.

You're smarter than these 18 people including their guides?

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #47 - Oct 26th, 2017 at 12:53pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Oct 26th, 2017 at 12:39pm:
Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Oct 26th, 2017 at 8:37am:
Again thanks Captain Obvious.

More than likely, I mean checking weather patterns is what I do.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #48 - Oct 26th, 2017 at 8:05pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Oct 26th, 2017 at 12:53pm:

It doesn't rain where you're canyoning ...

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #49 - Oct 27th, 2017 at 2:17pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Oct 26th, 2017 at 8:05pm:
Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Oct 26th, 2017 at 12:53pm:

It doesn't rain where you're canyoning ...

Holy poo, you don't say, I can always check that its raining where the river is.

bugger you're a genius dude.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #50 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 8:45pm

Francis wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 9:54pm:
Myself - Cuba and the  Domic republic .

Anyone  else been somewhere  different  to the normal and Like  to share ?

I think getting my little Cortina bogged 25km out from Broken Hill was as about 'off-track' as I've been.
Unless I've got a suitable vehicle, I stick to dirt roads, tar roads, etc.
I have a 4x4 ute, but I just went along the fire trails to find 'free' camping spots. Well, not really 'camping' - just somewhere to toss a tent and sleep.

Going really rough 'out there' has never really appealed to me. Guess spending the day out there with many possibilities of something going wrong, just driving mostly - kinda seems tedious. I mean - there's not many spots in Australia worth seeing to go through so much effort.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #51 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 8:47pm

...but to add: Trekking around the Himalaya's was 'off track' to some extent. But I would pass about 20 other 'trekking groups' each day, all making up the 3rd Religion of 'Tourism' that shared Nepal with Buddhism & Hinduism.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #52 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 9:01pm

Jasin wrote on Oct 20th, 2018 at 8:47pm:
...but to add: Trekking around the Himalaya's was 'off track' to some extent. But I would pass about 20 other 'trekking groups' each day, all making up the 3rd Religion of 'Tourism' that shared Nepal with Buddhism & Hinduism.

Just been thru some VERY remote areas in Nth Laos. BTW, good to have you back, bro.

IBI

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #53 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 9:12pm

Gordon wrote on Oct 20th, 2018 at 9:01pm:

Just been thru some VERY remote areas in Nth Laos. BTW, good to have you back, bro.

Cheers.

...Laos wouldn't be a bad place to visit. Probably still pristine and untouched by mass-production Tourism?

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #54 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 9:14pm

Mt Hagen WHP Papua New Guinea.
Stayed there a year and a bit back in the 1970's.

The very first day I arrived, there was a "payback" beheading on the main highway through town.

Being so elevated, it wasn't as stiflingly hot as the coastal areas.

I remember the way the tins of powdered milk would have bulging aluminium seals owing to the lower air pressure. You had to puncture the aluminium carefully to avoid milk powder going everywhere.  Smiley

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #55 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 9:23pm

Captain Nemo wrote on Oct 20th, 2018 at 9:14pm:

The very first day I arrived, there was a "payback" beheading on the main highway through town.

I remember the way the tins of powdered milk would have bulging aluminium seals owing to the lower air pressure. You had to puncture the aluminium carefully to avoid milk powder going everywhere.  Smiley

Wow  Shocked  So would you say that PNG of the 70's is remarkably different to the PNG of today? The level of violence in Port Moresby is an obvious change.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #56 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 9:23pm

Jasin wrote on Oct 20th, 2018 at 9:12pm:
Gordon wrote on Oct 20th, 2018 at 9:01pm:

Cheers.

...Laos wouldn't be a bad place to visit. Probably still pristine and untouched by mass-production Tourism?

Unfortunately not. Masses of Chinese tourists have hit places like luang prabang, once my favourite place on the planet. Now Chinese bogans jump in front of the monks collecting alms for a selfie.

This was in a very remote area in Nth Laos in an area with nothing going on for tourists

IBI

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #57 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 9:27pm

Alas, is nothing infested by Chinese -  with the lowest variation of genetic diversification?

They say, if you put a statue of a dirty Tasmanian Feral with dreads on a street corner - it gets rid of evil Chinese spirits.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #58 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 9:31pm

Jasin wrote on Oct 20th, 2018 at 9:23pm:
Captain Nemo wrote on Oct 20th, 2018 at 9:14pm:

Wow  Shocked  So would you say that PNG of the 70's is remarkably different to the PNG of today? The level of violence in Port Moresby is an obvious change.

There were  gangs of violent thugs even back then. Ironically, they call them "rascals" ... seemed to be a rather inadequate term to my western ears.

The "Westerners" lived in "compounds" ... security fences and alarm systems even back in the late 1970's.

Sadly, the Western culture has badly stuffed up the native way of life. It's like the Papuan people have adopted the very worst parts of Western "civilization".

Things were bad back then and I imagine it has only got worse over time.

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Sophia

Reply #59 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 11:35am

Some things that come to mind, that I wonder why I got into that situation at all, was river rafting on what looked like bamboo strewn together, and with no life jacket, in some big river in Fiji.

Now I think of it, looking at the photo, none of that what we did 17 years ago would have passed safety. I do recall someone saying that none of those fijian chaps had any 1st aid training, and them long (skinny easy to rock) boats had no life jackets.
I won't ever do that again.

Last year, went to a monkey forest in Indonesia, hubby got pissed on by one cheeky monkey, I had a monkey bite my leg (lucky I had long slacks on, and it didn't break through the material).

I won't be doing that again either!

We used to camp off the beaten track in "The Pines" at Lake Bonnie Doon. Took about 2 hours to drive in, the middle of no freaking nowhere!

In Alaska, we went in a small plane (I hate small planes)....and went for a long flight over rugged mountains and fjords, and landed in one fjord for a while, it was so isolated and beautiful, the peace, the quality of the air was astounding.
I was just looking at the photos with hubby the other night of our Alaskan adventure, and the small plane photos clearly show me looking a bit freaked out, while hubby was smiling and pleased looking.
(Only found out later that another guest sitting in the front with the pilot, was also a pilot and built his own plane, which made the hubby feel more comfortable about the flight....pity I didn't know until after!!  Angry )

Went to Columbian Snowfields with an awesome big 6 wheeler truck. The tyers were as tall as my 5 ft height!
Tasted and drank some melting glacial water.

Did the Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb about 6 years ago.

I did a plank walk on a cruise ship 2 years ago, with all these safety strapping on, but it was so windy, I couldn't do it, could not let go and just lean back at the edge over the ocean.

I would really love to go to Manchu Picchu.
Heights are okay for me (except small plane rides and plank walking on windy days!)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print