Send Topic Print
No body ~ no parole (Read 3639 times)
Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

No body ~ no parole
Aug 10th, 2017 at 5:30pm

Link.

I am opposed to this concept on the basis that if a person pleads not guilty, says "I did not do this,' and is convicted......he loses his parole unless he produces a body......one he might well be totally innocent of making, and not have a clue about its whereabouts.

And don't tell me innocent people have never been convicted.

Nah.

Bugger off.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: No body ~ no parole
Reply #1 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 5:36pm

Aussie wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 5:30pm:
Link.

I am opposed to this concept on the basis that if a person pleads not guilty, says "I did not do this,' and is convicted......he loses his parole unless he produces a body......one he might well be totally innocent of making, and not have a clue about its whereabouts.

And don't tell me innocent people have never been convicted.

Nah.

Bugger off.

Yup bugger off and call and Uber.  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IBI

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 5:58pm

If the courts find someone guilty, they have to be treated as such.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 6:01pm

freediver wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 5:58pm:

So.....having been found 'guilty' by a Court, how does the innocent man produce a body he knows nothing of.

Nah.

This crap presumes we have a perfect system and we all know that we do not.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 6:04pm

If innocent people are found guilty, it is a miscarriage of justice, regardless of whether they can produce the body. You might as well insist it is wrong to jail guilty people in case they are innocent.

Which website did you order your law degree from?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 6:07pm

freediver wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 6:04pm:
If innocent people are found guilty, it is a miscarriage of justice, regardless of whether they can produce the body. You might as well insist it is wrong to jail guilty people in case they are innocent.

Are you really that thick? 

How many links would you like me to put up establishing that our non-perfect system has convicted innocents of murder/manslaughter?  How can such an innocent make parole if they had nothing to do with the death?

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #6 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 6:07pm

freediver wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 6:04pm:

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 6:09pm

By having their conviction overturned. Not by saying you should let me out anyway, because I am innocent, just like everyone else in here.

People found guilty still have to be treated as guilty, despite the flaws in the system.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #8 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 6:09pm

freediver wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 5:58pm:

Yes - but there is 'legally guilty' and then there is guilty.... and many a man has lost his life on that difference....  countless people can be 'found guilty' according to the current (lack of) standards... that doesn't mean they are actually guilty... many such are not..... and while ever the forces of law and of the courts are themselves criminal in nature and action, there can never not be doubt......

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #9 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 6:10pm

freediver wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 6:09pm:
By having their conviction overturned. Not by saying you should let me out anyway, because I am innocent, just like everyone else in here.

People found guilty still have to be treated as guilty, despite the flaws in the system.

Dream on...... do you have any idea how near impossible that is?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 6:15pm

It's not meant to be easy.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 6:15pm

freediver wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 6:09pm:

Sure.....but this new 'no body ~ no parole' takes it a great deal further.  The person is convicted...okay....schit happens...but until today, like every other convictee, he was entitled to parole.  This takes that away and asks for an impossibility in the case of an innocent.

How can an innocent man produce a body he knows nothing about?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #12 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 6:18pm

It does not take it further at all. You get a lesser sentence if you plead guilty, cooperate with police etc. It's the same old problem we have always had. You can't expect an innocent man to plead guilty, yet he still goes to jail for longer if he pleads innocent and is found guilty.

Bottom line is, people found guilty have to be treated as guilty, regardless of the flaws in the system.

I saw a website selling law degrees for $20 the other day. Do you think it would boost my credibility if I got one?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #13 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 6:22pm

freediver wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 6:18pm:
It does not take it further at all. You get a lesser sentence if you plead guilty, cooperate with police etc. It's the same old problem we have always had. You can't expect an innocent man to plead guilty, yet he still goes to jail for longer if he pleads innocent and is found guilty.

Bottom line is, people found guilty have to be treated as guilty, regardless of the flaws in the system.

Yeas....but this new crap (an added punishment way beyond what was until today) has been brought in despite the fact that these populist politicians know full well our system is flawed.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 6:25pm

Quote:
I saw a website selling law degrees for $20 the other day. Do you think it would boost my credibility if I got one?

You could try, but I doubt that many here have any regard for your credibility even if you could pass the $20.00 course which I seriously doubt you could.  Even $20.00 courses would require, as a minimum, two brain cells.

My guess is that you are short on the entrance requirements.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print