Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print
The stigma of sex work comes with a high cost (Read 6224 times)
Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Re: The stigma of sex work comes with a high cost
Reply #60 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 9:23am

Jovial Monk wrote on Aug 11th, 2017 at 8:57am:
Lord Herbert wrote on Aug 11th, 2017 at 8:50am:
Jovial Monk wrote on Aug 11th, 2017 at 8:08am:
When I found the motivation it was pretty easy. Many long years trying to give up tho.

Oh hell no. I didn't have 'many long years trying to give up'.

I had many long years of enjoying every cigarette I smoked. I gave up in sympathy when my brother was told he either give up smoking or lose a leg to poor circulation.

You enjoyed every cigarette?

That you could give up in sympathy with your brother is remarkable.

You're not wrong.

His wife was a very heavy smoker too, and she and I would sit in their lounge-room smoking to burn the house down while he would sit there looking miserable and dejected and no longer relevant. A week later I tossed the smoking ... and within a couple of more weeks she gave up smoking too after not believing that I had stopped smoking.

My brother was a lot happier after that. He felt he had became part of us again.

Eventually he died of cancer, not from his smoking days, but because the ethanol in his occasional beers stimulated cancer in his gums. I was told that by his treating oncologist ...

Chris O'Brien
Surgeon
Professor Christopher John "Chris" O'Brien AO was an Australian head and neck surgeon. He achieved national recognition as a compassionate surgeon in the reality television series RPA.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #61 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 9:24am

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #62 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 9:57am

Lord Herbert wrote on Aug 11th, 2017 at 8:50am:
Jovial Monk wrote on Aug 11th, 2017 at 8:08am:
When I found the motivation it was pretty easy. Many long years trying to give up tho.

Oh hell no. I didn't have 'many long years trying to give up'.

I had many long years of enjoying every cigarette I smoked. I gave up in sympathy when my brother was told he either give up smoking or lose a leg to poor circulation.

Good on you, that would have made a big difference for him

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #63 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 10:07am

aquascoot wrote on Aug 11th, 2017 at 8:23am:
the phenomenom of stigmatising women who work in the sex industry falls into the frame of what i call "slut-shaming".

again, this phenomenom needs to be seen for what it is.

the beta male, the pathetic little puke, fat steve sitting on the couch with his fat wife has to maintain "state".

he cant acknowledge that he is a pathetic puke and he has a fat wife and they dont have good sex.

he and his fat wife (lets call her fat jenny) could hit the gym, eat good food, stop whining and complaining to each other and become awesome lovers.
but this would require a lot of "work " and "effort" and fat steve and fat jenny dont like that idea.

so how can these two scrubs feel good about themselves when they see a woman who is very sexually active, not conforming to "group think", is taking massive action, is courageous, not seeking approval and is living life on "her" terms.

they shame her.

group think and modern social conditioning call on all the scrubs and lazy layabouts to shame those who stray from the herd.

what the sex worker needs to do is use their failed lives and mediocre existences as a "cuationary tale".

she needs to "draw state from within", be "grounded in her own life", basicly not give a f*ck and then continue towards her north star.

women who find a champ of a man to be with , can be very sexual and dont need to "wear the pants" and "man up".
But there are so few "real men" and so many "fat steves" that women are forced to take control of their own lives and their own sexuality and this is totally the fault of fat steve and his fat co dependant wife.

those at the bottom of the pyramid, who hate their mediocre lives will always hate on success.
because there are so many of them (most people are failures), the social narrative will always hate on a woman in such an industry.

the fact they hate you, usually means you are doing something right  Wink

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #64 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 1:06pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 9:53pm:
freediver wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 9:34pm:
Also, people tend to assume women have lower moral standards just because they choose to have sex for money. This is very unfair. They get less respect than someone who flips burgers at Maccas.

I agree.. it is disgraceful that any woman should have to sell herself to make ends meet.. regardless of what I say about personal choices.

I have two grand-daughters, and I do not wish to see either of them headed down any of those paths of life - I expect that they will have genuine equal opportunities in a genuine society, and be able to make meaningful choices about their own lives and those with whom they choose to share them.  Same applies to the grandson, but I don't expect he will become a sex worker..... too smart....

What if they wanted to, not out of necessity, but because of the bucketloads of money they stood to make?

mothra wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 9:39pm:
Also, people tend to assume women have lower moral standards just because they choose to have sex for money. This is very unfair. They get less respect than someone who flips burgers at Maccas.

Yes. It is. And equally unfair for the male sex workers. And the trans ones.

Are there any criticisms of the moral standards of whores that you consider fair? Or are we to treat all career decisions as being of equal value?
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2017 at 1:11pm by freediver »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #65 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 1:22pm

Are there any criticisms of the moral standards of whores that you consider fair? Or are we to treat all career decisions as being of equal value? [/quote]

Why are your moral standards and value assessments more important than treating people with basic decency and respect and protecting them by law?

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #66 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 5:05pm

freediver wrote on Aug 11th, 2017 at 1:06pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 9:53pm:

I agree.. it is disgraceful that any woman should have to sell herself to make ends meet.. regardless of what I say about personal choices.

I have two grand-daughters, and I do not wish to see either of them headed down any of those paths of life - I expect that they will have genuine equal opportunities in a genuine society, and be able to make meaningful choices about their own lives and those with whom they choose to share them.  Same applies to the grandson, but I don't expect he will become a sex worker..... too smart....

What if they wanted to, not out of necessity, but because of the bucketloads of money they stood to make?

Are there any criticisms of the moral standards of whores that you consider fair? Or are we to treat all career decisions as being of equal value?

I would hope they would make their buckets of money doing things of long-lasting value to humanity, like science or medicine or similar, even making movies like their granny and their auntie do.... and I would hope that the family genes and social values would mean they would find a far better path in life.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #67 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 5:10pm

mothra wrote on Aug 11th, 2017 at 1:22pm:

Why are your moral standards and value assessments more important than treating people with basic decency and respect and protecting them by law?
[/quote]

There is no equation between treating people with due respect and decency and protecting them under law.  In theory all are gien respect accorded their station in life and their personal choices, and are equally protected under law, but sometimes a personal lifestyle choice carries with it additional hazards that can not be prevented by the mere presence of Law in being.  You cannot expect a cop on every corner of a brothel.... not going to work... and the only real response is in deterrence against offenders, which occurs.

It's not as if sex workers are refused police assistance if assaulted - though one does wonder if their chosen occupation, a bit like Muslims, says that they are reluctant to actually ask and expect, or that their 'operators' often refuse to request police assistance as a matter of 'principle', for their own murky ends of control and personal self-protection from police intrusion and investigation.

― John Adams

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #68 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 5:13pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Aug 11th, 2017 at 5:10pm:

There is no equation between treating people with due respect and decency and protecting them under law.  In theory all are gien respect accorded their station in life and their personal choices, and are equally protected under law, but sometimes a personal lifestyle choice carries with it additional hazards that can not be prevented by the mere presence of Law in being.  You cannot expect a cop on every corner of a brothel.... not going to work... and the only real response is in deterrence against offenders, which occurs.

It's not as if sex workers are refused police assistance if assaulted - though one does wonder if their chosen occupation, a bit like Muslims, says that they are reluctant to actually ask and expect, or that their 'operators' often refuse to request police assistance as a matter of 'principle', for their own murky ends of control and personal self-protection from police intrusion and investigation.
[/quote]

Didn't read the article again, did you.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #69 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 5:15pm

It's okay, i know the drill. You don't need to read it because you know everything about it already. Yet you will continue, as long as you are indulged, to demonstrate that the converse is true.

We've been here before, Grap.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #70 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 6:00pm

Quote:

Who said anything about one moral being more important than another? I asked you whether it was fair. If people think it is immoral to have sex with someone for money, is it unfair for them to pass moral judgement on someone who does?

Do you think it is immoral to have sex with people for money?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #71 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 8:44pm

mothra wrote on Aug 11th, 2017 at 5:15pm:
It's okay, i know the drill. You don't need to read it because you know everything about it already. Yet you will continue, as long as you are indulged, to demonstrate that the converse is true.

Not my problem that some can't see the differences laid out so clearly for them....

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #72 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 8:46pm

freediver wrote on Aug 11th, 2017 at 6:00pm:
Quote:

Who said anything about one moral being more important than another? I asked you whether it was fair. If people think it is immoral to have sex with someone for money, is it unfair for them to pass moral judgement on someone who does?

Sweden fined men for paying for sex, but not women for accepting payment for it... is that where mothra wants us to go?  All men are filthy rapist beasts and women who do sex are not.... that'd go over a treat in the Hunting Grounds..... sexual equality be damned.... women are still victims no matter which way you roll the pork...

Good work if you can get it....  Cool

― John Adams

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #73 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 8:55pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Aug 11th, 2017 at 8:44pm:
mothra wrote on Aug 11th, 2017 at 5:15pm:

Not my problem that some can't see the differences laid out so clearly for them....

So you did read it? Why are you so wrong about everything then?

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #74 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 8:56pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Aug 11th, 2017 at 8:46pm:
freediver wrote on Aug 11th, 2017 at 6:00pm:
Quote:

Sweden fined men for paying for sex, but not women for accepting payment for it... is that where mothra wants us to go?  All men are filthy rapist beasts and women who do sex are not.... that'd go over a treat in the Hunting Grounds..... sexual equality be damned.... women are still victims no matter which way you roll the pork...

Good work if you can get it....  Cool

Why must you obsessively make absolutely everything about gender?

And do so ridiculously?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print