Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print
The stigma of sex work comes with a high cost (Read 6210 times)
Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Re: The stigma of sex work comes with a high cost
Reply #30 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 8:58pm

freediver wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 6:48pm:
I think sex workers are not supposed to donate blood.

What is the comparison with alcohol problems and sex work?  I'm mystified..... are you saying that alcohol problems cost society more etc.. blah, blah, blah... what is the relevance of that in regard to sex workers and their self-image or whatever?

Shouldn't this be on another area of discussion...  WHY is it a matter of such mighty importance that sex workers have views on the work they choose to do?  WHY is that more important than countless other issues in society that are currently dragging it down, such as poverty, homelessness, shortage of work, lack of genuine EQUAL opportunity, discrimination, political correctness, multi-culturalism and so forth (including the 'demand' that puts on our nation to employ, via the commonwealth, those from those backgrounds, who then refine the term corruption and vice by breaching their oath of office to the commonwealth while operating as criminals within it??

Those girls can always leave the business.... get one of Joe's 'good jobs' etc....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 9:01pm

Gordon wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 4:01pm:
John Smith wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 3:51pm:
mothra wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 2:50pm:
John Smith wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 2:47pm:
I don't have a problem with those that do it because they want to, at least they're out their trying to get ahead  .... my only problem is the ones who do it because of drug addiction

What's your problem there? And how would you like to see it addressed?

my problem is that they're not doing it out of their own choosing. It's their craving for the drugs, or the drug pusher, who is making them do it. If you ask would they do it if not for drugs, and the answer is no, they shouldn't be doing it ever.

See it addressed? I'm not sure it can be. I don't see the drug problem ever stopping

You're image of junkie street hookers seems outdated.  There are almost no sexworkers visable on the streets in Sydney anymore, even in the Cross.

It's all about choices, son - anyone can choose to be a junkie or a druggo or a prostitute or a drug dealer - MOST of us don't....

In my oft-stated view, only a total retard imbecile would use drugs by choice.... and taking that choice means you did it to yourself.... nobody else.

Personally I wouldn't touch any of that sh1t with a fifty foot pole....

Igor - pour me another beer.....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #32 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 9:34pm

Also, people tend to assume women have lower moral standards just because they choose to have sex for money. This is very unfair. They get less respect than someone who flips burgers at Maccas.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 9:39pm

freediver wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 9:34pm:
Also, people tend to assume women have lower moral standards just because they choose to have sex for money. This is very unfair. They get less respect than someone who flips burgers at Maccas.

Yes. It is. And equally unfair for the male sex workers. And the trans ones.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 9:53pm

freediver wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 9:34pm:

I agree.. it is disgraceful that any woman should have to sell herself to make ends meet.. regardless of what I say about personal choices.

I have two grand-daughters, and I do not wish to see either of them headed down any of those paths of life - I expect that they will have genuine equal opportunities in a genuine society, and be able to make meaningful choices about their own lives and those with whom they choose to share them.  Same applies to the grandson, but I don't expect he will become a sex worker..... too smart....

― John Adams

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 9:57pm

Pretty much most of what i'm reading in this thread beautifully demonstrates the points raised in the article of the OP.

If only you lot would have read it, you'd have some insight into just how awful you are being.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 10:03pm

John Smith wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 2:47pm:
I don't have a problem with those that do it because they want to, at least they're out their trying to get ahead  .... my only problem is the ones who do it because of drug addiction

All the ones I know do it because of their drug addiction.

What's wrong with that?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 10:05pm

freediver wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 6:48pm:
I think sex workers are not supposed to donate blood.

You're right. Nor is anyone who's had anal sex or used IV drugs.

There goes the old boy, eh?

Oh - and moi.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 10:07pm

mothra wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 9:57pm:
Pretty much most of what i'm reading in this thread beautifully demonstrates the points raised in the article of the OP.

If only you lot would have read it, you'd have some insight into just how awful you are being.

Sydney was built on sex work, Mother. Most female convicts were.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 10:12pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 10:07pm:

Much of the world has been, Kamahl.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 10:22pm

Watch that high moral ground - it's often very crumbly....

― John Adams

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 10:27pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 10:22pm:

I'm not on a high moral ground. I am precisely where a reasonable, observant, compassionate person is supposed to be.

Do you have doubts about the level of your own moral ground? I can understand why.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #42 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 12:23am

Mothra - that is a particularly good topic you have risen.

I apologise for the comments other men have made, but not all us men are the same.

Yes, sex workers are generally female and are falsely heavily biased negatively by society.

(Here comes the abuse against me), A friend of mine used to use female sex workers and commented that they are excellent psychologists.

I would prefer it if you totally ignored the expected trolling comments.

We can have an adult conversation.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 12:59am

mothra wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 10:27pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 10:22pm:

I'm not on a high moral ground. I am precisely where a reasonable, observant, compassionate person is supposed to be.

Do you have doubts about the level of your own moral ground? I can understand why.

Now, now - I'm solid as a rock on my moral ground...... where any reasonable, observant, compassionate person IS...  you just can't read my words properly....

Where, for example, is there any lack of reason, observation, or compassion is saying that people make their own choices?  I'd rather have thought that was THE most focused approach to such issues as sex workers.....

I understand the rockiness of your moral ground... it is based on emotion and not on the things you espouse above as an implied criticism of any dissent....  you'll get there one day...

― John Adams

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #44 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 1:01am

mothra wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 10:12pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 10:07pm:

Much of the world has been, Kamahl.

Convict bricks by the lot, and sex in exchange for sugar, tea and rum. It's how this city was built.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print