Send Topic Print
Bible interpretations (Read 1824 times)
Sprintcyclist

OzPolitic

Bible interpretations
Aug 6th, 2017 at 1:07am

How do you interpret this ?

Quote:
"You must not bring those prisoners here," they said, "or we will be guilty before the LORD. Do you intend to add to our sin and guilt? For our guilt is already great, and his fierce anger rests on Israel."

2 Chronicles 28:13

Someone I know is going to be baptized, I asked for a message for them and was given this.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Re: Bible interpretations
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 4:43pm

I cannot - its very cryptic- have no clue what it means Sprint

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 4:45pm

sounds to me like they don't want you to attend. Grin Grin

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 5:01pm

It reads to be a pretty heavy thing to give to someone about to be baptised.
But I handed the message on.

As I interpreted it, the Sin and Guilt is absolved when one is baptised.
So once she is baptised, then she is without Sin and Guilt.
She is no longer a prisoner to those things.

She will be 'cleaner' than the people who said this.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #4 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 5:18pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Aug 6th, 2017 at 5:01pm:
It reads to be a pretty heavy thing to give to someone about to be baptised.
But I handed the message on.

As I interpreted it, the Sin and Guilt is absolved when one is baptised.
So once she is baptised, then she is without Sin and Guilt.
She is no longer a prisoner to those things.

She will be 'cleaner' than the people who said this.

OK that makes sense too- I dont come from a christian family although as a Catholic my mum wanted us to belong to a Church- my dad was an atheist conversely- mum used to take us to Bible class and we belonged for a while to a little Parish in Orange NSW- I loved attending Bible study and all the activities surrounding that place  including easter and Christmas- was a fun and a very happy atmosphere and some of our happiest times were had there- but we left Orange and that was the end of my time belonging to a church- I forgot to add we too were baptised- this was all in the early part of our life- I still remember that day so clearly- rays of  sunlight gave an ethereal back drop to that ceremony in the little country stone church-  quite beautiful

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #5 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 3:17am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Aug 6th, 2017 at 1:07am:
How do you interpret this ?

Quote:
"You must not bring those prisoners here," they said, "or we will be guilty before the LORD. Do you intend to add to our sin and guilt? For our guilt is already great, and his fierce anger rests on Israel."

2 Chronicles 28:13

Reproof.

As you know the chapter is about the reign of Ahaz, and not a very good one it was.

His wickedness and the trouble he bought upon himself.

One hopes that whoever sent you that is not implying that an innocent child should carry the burden of his trespass.

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 3:33am

I don't see that the child today has much to do with Ahaz;s actions over 2000 years ago ...... no.

The similarity is that just as  ' ....... His wickedness and the trouble he bought upon himself............'  so would her past actions and involvements cause her problems.

She comes from a badly broken home and would likely feel great guilt for events that were not of her doing.

God will take this guilt from her.
He will set her free.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #7 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 3:03am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Aug 12th, 2017 at 3:33am:
I don't see that the child today has much to do with Ahaz;s actions over 2000 years ago .......

Raven doesn't see how any child has anything to do with anything that happened over 2000 years ago.

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Sep 28th, 2021 at 6:22pm

Happy 2020-21-22-....!!!

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Nov 6th, 2021 at 2:14pm

‘This book is a major achievement. In reading the gospels as myth – which, as David Tacey argues, is how they were written, he has demonstrated the difference between faith and belief, and brilliantly repudiated both Christian and atheistic fundamentalism. In an age when the conventional expressions of the religious message appear increasingly absurd, this is exactly what we need.’

https://www.garrattpublishing.com.au/product/9781925009798/

Biblical stories are metaphorical. They may have been accepted as factual hundreds of years ago, but today they cannot be taken literally. Some students in religious schools even recoil from the "fairy tales" of religion, believing them to be mockeries of their intelligence. David Tacey argues that biblical language should not be read as history, and it was never intended as literal description. At best it is metaphorical, but he does not deny these stories have spiritual meaning.

Religion as Metaphor argues that despite what tradition tells us, if we "believe" religious language, we miss religion's spiritual meaning. Tacey argues that religious language was not designed to be historical reporting, but rather to resonate in the soul and direct us toward transcendent realities. Its impact was intended to be closer to poetry than theology. The book uses specific examples to make its case: Jesus, the Virgin Birth, the Kingdom of God, the Apocalypse, Satan, and the Resurrection.

Tacey shows that, with the aid of contemporary thought and depth psychology, we can re-read religious stories as metaphors of the spirit and the interior life. Moving beyond literal thinking will save religion from itself.
https://www.routledge.com/Religion-as-Metaphor-Beyond-Literal-Belief/Tacey/p/boo...

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print