Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
2 years jail over a crossbow & a rifle. (Read 7113 times)
Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
2 years jail over a crossbow & a rifle.
Jul 28th, 2017 at 8:02pm

This happened in Australia.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/good-weekend/life-in-prison-whats-it-really-like...

This story caused a book to be written by his wife:
In Sickness, In Health … and In Jail,

by Mel Jacob (Allen and Unwin, $30) is released on August 24.

Story about Patrick Jacob .

A suburban dad’s poor decisions lead him to jail. How does his incredulous wife – and mother to his two children – adjust to the stiff sentence?

In his spare time in the years that followed, he started to sell things online – secondhand Apple computers he had restored, kids' kites and, eventually, camping, hunting and archery equipment. By 2010, he had opened Combat Australia, a retail outlet with a strong online business.

Late in 2010, a new customer, a man called Alex, who said he was from Adelaide, started to spend money with Combat. One day, Alex asked Patrick if he could get him a crossbow, a powerful mechanised bow that is legal in most states, including South Australia, but illegal in NSW unless it remains unassembled. Patrick had interstate clients to whom he occasionally sold crossbow arrows, "So I thought, 'You know what, I'll bring in four crossbows.' "

He thought he might "muck around with them", do some target shooting on friends' farms interstate. "If I store them in NSW I'm sure no one's going to be fussed," he said to himself.

Meanwhile, Alex was hassling him. Please, he asked Patrick, can you assemble my crossbow? "We're friends now, you know me, I'll have problems doing it."

Alex was an undercover police officer. In early 2011, police raids on the Jacobs' home and business also uncovered a slingshot (which are illegal in NSW but can be used in some states) and an unlicensed rifle: Patrick says he was "just slack" in getting around to registering it.

After Patrick was sentenced on charges of possessing and selling prohibited weapons – a crossbow, slingshot and an unlicensed rifle – he collapsed.
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2017 at 12:04am by Bobby. »  

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: 2 years jail over a crossbow & a rifle.
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 8:08pm

So - the undercover cop befriended & encouraged him  -

isn't that a form of entrapment?

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #2 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 8:09pm

Meanwhile Muslims rapists get less jail time

IBI

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 8:11pm

Gordon wrote on Jul 28th, 2017 at 8:09pm:

Gee wiz - the law is very tough on crossbows.
When I was a kid we used to make crossbows
& slingshots.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #4 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 8:23pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 28th, 2017 at 8:11pm:

& slingshots.

Police want to be the only one armed so the can shoot mentally disturbed kids in a flower shop

IBI

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 8:30pm

Gordon wrote on Jul 28th, 2017 at 8:23pm:
Bobby. wrote on Jul 28th, 2017 at 8:11pm:

& slingshots.

Police want to be the only one armed so they can shoot mentally disturbed kids in a flower shop.

Who knows?

When I was a kid you could buy crossbows in the shop or make one yourself.
Forgetting to register a firearm would not have put you in jail.

The laws are incredibly strict now - are they too strict?

Should police be allowed to encourage & entrap people?

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #6 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 8:01am

Does FD have a comment?

Isn't a spear gun used for fishing just as dangerous as a cross bow?

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #7 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 8:14am

Bobby. wrote on Jul 28th, 2017 at 8:02pm:

Alex was an undercover police officer. In early 2011, police raids on the Jacobs' home and business also uncovered a slingshot (which are illegal in NSW but can be used in some states) and an unlicensed rifle: Patrick says he was "just slack" in getting around to registering it.

After Patrick was sentenced on charges of possessing and selling prohibited weapons – a crossbow, slingshot and an unlicensed rifle – he collapsed.

This is what everybody's hero john howard was looking for this country back in '96.

Makes ya proud to to live in a free society doesn't it?

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #8 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 8:27am

BigOl64 wrote on Jul 29th, 2017 at 8:14am:

This is what everybody's hero john howard was looking for this country back in '96.

Hi BigOl,
I think it's terrible that none of this would have happened if
the police hadn't encouraged the poor man & entrapped him.

As for the rifle - he just forgot about it.
2 years in jail for forgetting is harsh in my opinion -
wouldn't a warning or a small fine of $100 been enough?

What about Sudanese home invaders using stolen firearms -
would they get 2 years jail?

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #9 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 8:32am

Bobby. wrote on Jul 29th, 2017 at 8:27am:
BigOl64 wrote on Jul 29th, 2017 at 8:14am:

Hi BigOl,
I think it's terrible that none of this would have happened if
the police hadn't encouraged the poor man & entrapped him.

As for the rifle - he just forgot about it.
2 years in jail for forgetting is harsh in my opinion -
wouldn't a warning or a small fine of $100 been enough?

What about Sudanese home invaders using stolen firearms -
would they get 2 years jail?

They'd get a hug and sent to bed without an Iced VoVo.

IBI

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #10 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 8:43am

Gordon wrote on Jul 29th, 2017 at 8:32am:
They'd get a hug and sent to bed without an Iced VoVo.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/vic/a/35389221/melbourne-family-wake-up-to-african-gan...

'Like a nightmare': Family wake up to African gang standing over their bed

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #11 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 8:49am

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/apex-gang-members-escape-conviction-af...

Apex gang members escape conviction after Melbourne home invasion
EXCLUSIVE, Sunday Herald Sun
May 7, 2016 10:30pm
Subscriber only

Mentor says Apex gang members feel ‘left out’ of community
    Police union calls for end to Victoria’s youth bail bonanza

TWO Apex gang members have escaped criminal convictions after bashing an elderly couple in their beds during a brutal home invasion.

The teenagers faced a children’s court in the past fortnight over the late-night attack at a property in suburban Melbourne.

The victims, aged in their 70s, have been left deeply traumatised after waking to find the young, armed intruders in their house.

They were assaulted with weapons during the onslaught.

The Sunday Herald Sun has been told the Apex pair received six-month probation orders with no convictions recorded.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #12 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 8:52am

http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/gang-members-wont-be-deported-vic-...

Gang members won't be deported: Vic police
April 29, 2016 2:54pm
By Julian Drape AAP

Victoria's top cop has dismissed suggestions Melbourne gang members who commit violent carjackings and home invasions could be deported.

Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton on Friday poured cold water on a Australian Border Force proposal that the same laws used to deport outlaw bikies could be used against members of Apex and other youth gangs.

"It's mostly Australian-born people (in the street gangs) so in terms of being able to deport them, that's not an option," Mr Ashton told 3AW on Friday.

"Plus the offending we're dealing with has to carry a sort of penalty that would, under the Migration Act, qualify them to be a candidate (for deportation).

"But at the moment these people and the offences ... are not falling in that sort of remit."

Mr Ashton suggested many of the crimes wouldn't carry the required 12-month sentence and people under 18 wouldn't be eligible for deportation anyway.

Taskforce Tense, set up in November to tackle the Apex gang believed to be behind a spate of car thefts and home invasions as well as the Moomba riots, has so far arrested 62 people.

Some 41 of those are under 18. The youngest are 14.

Twenty-six were born in Australia, Mr Ashton said, while 13 were born in Sudan, eight came from New Zealand and three from Egypt.

He said those born overseas were mostly dual citizens.

The Apex gang originally comprised young people from the South Sudanese community in Dandenong but has since expanded.

Victoria Police insist Melbourne's youth gangs aren't based on ethnicity but rather their desire to commit criminal acts.

Border Force chief Roman Quaedvlieg this week flagged the possibility of using the Migration Act's character test to deport street gang members found guilty of vicious assaults.

IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Reply #13 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 12:19am

This happened in Australia.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/good-weekend/life-in-prison-whats-it-really-like...

This story caused a book to be written by his wife:
In Sickness, In Health … and In Jail,

by Mel Jacob (Allen and Unwin, $30) is released on August 24.

http://www.booktopia.com.au/http_coversbooktopiacomau/600/9781925267310/in-sickn...

Story about Patrick Jacob .

A suburban dad’s poor decisions lead him to jail. How does his incredulous wife – and mother to his two children – adjust to the stiff sentence?

In his spare time in the years that followed, he started to sell things online – secondhand Apple computers he had restored, kids' kites and, eventually, camping, hunting and archery equipment. By 2010, he had opened Combat Australia, a retail outlet with a strong online business.

Late in 2010, a new customer, a man called Alex, who said he was from Adelaide, started to spend money with Combat. One day, Alex asked Patrick if he could get him a crossbow, a powerful mechanised bow that is legal in most states, including South Australia, but illegal in NSW unless it remains unassembled. Patrick had interstate clients to whom he occasionally sold crossbow arrows, "So I thought, 'You know what, I'll bring in four crossbows.' "

He thought he might "muck around with them", do some target shooting on friends' farms interstate. "If I store them in NSW I'm sure no one's going to be fussed," he said to himself.

Meanwhile, Alex was hassling him. Please, he asked Patrick, can you assemble my crossbow? "We're friends now, you know me, I'll have problems doing it."

That is how Ruby Ridge started, he is lucky he is only going to jail for a short time and his family is safe from a government attack. These Laws don't appear to have anything to do with Public Safety and are completely unfair.

Sling shots are regulated? Do they have a length restriction on Steak Knives? Who are they trying to protect? I did a google search and couldn't find any deaths related to Sling Shots or Crossbows although both are capable of being lethal.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. ~Ecc. 10:2

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #14 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 8:05pm

Mortdooley wrote on Jul 30th, 2017 at 12:19am:
That is how Ruby Ridge started, he is lucky he is only going to jail for a short time and his family is safe from a government attack. These Laws don't appear to have anything to do with Public Safety and are completely unfair.

Sling shots are regulated? Do they have a length restriction on Steak Knives? Who are they trying to protect? I did a google search and couldn't find any deaths related to Sling Shots or
Crossbows although both are capable of being lethal.

The law was too severe on this poor family man.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print