Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
4 Reasons Anti-Feminist Women Hate Feminism (Read 17178 times)
mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

4 Reasons Anti-Feminist Women Hate Feminism
Jul 26th, 2017 at 12:30pm

4 Reasons Anti-Feminist Women Hate Feminism (And What They’re Missing)

“I don’t need female empowerment, because I’m not weak!”

“I’m not a feminist because I don’t hate men.”

“I don’t need feminism. I actually like cooking for my husband.”

I used to agree with a lot of statements like this. I thought feminists were only doing harm to themselves and others, and I proudly proclaimed that I was not a feminist.

What changed my mind was learning that a lot of what I thought feminists believed was false – including the idea that gender oppression only affects women. Some of it was just myth, things that anti-feminists said feminists believed. Some of it was taking the words of one or two feminists and assuming they spoke for the whole.

Nobody can speak for all of feminism, including me – and I especially can’t speak for how a/gender minorities besides cis women experience feminism. But I did learn over time, through getting to know more people who identified as feminists, that the things I thought were basic and fundamental to feminism were exaggerations, or belonged only to some more fringe groups.

One of the biggest misconceptions about feminism is that it’s a movement for women, by women, and made up of women in opposition of men. In truth, not only should feminism should benefit everyone, as it works to dismantle all systems of oppression, but it shouldn’t be based on this binary gender thinking in the first place. Not only men and women exist, and they’re not opposites in a binary.

But a lot of the ways in which anti-feminists conceptualize feminism is based on this untruth about women versus men. And in order to address those specific misconceptions, I’m going to speak from that place. Non-binary people may recognize themselves in these experiences as well, but those experiences (especially insofar as erasure is concerned) are unique, and I’m not qualified to speak on them.

I’m not here to say that all women should call themselves feminist. There are good reasons not to, including the ways feminism has failed to be intersectional and meet the needs of people of color, trans and gender non-confirming people, and others.

But if you are anti-feminist and agree with some of the quotes that I started this article with, I’d ask you to read on and consider that the truth about feminism might be more complicated.

1. ‘Feminists Are Just Playing the Victim’

“Sure, sexism used to be a problem. But now women have reached equality: We can vote, we have the same access to jobs and education as men, we’re allowed to dress how we want, and are considered equal partners in relationships. Western feminists are just whining, nit-picking, and enjoying feeling victimized instead of appreciating the freedoms we have.”

There’s a lot of truth in this argument: Women have come a long way, baby.

As a woman, I’d rather live here and now than almost any other point in history. And I’m not denying the struggles that many girls and women around the world face, or claiming that mine are equal to theirs.

But it’s not true to say that sexism is dead. We may have slain the giant dragon of institutional sexism, which insisted that women fill an inferior role in the world, but there is still a hornet’s nest of sexist culture that lives on.

And while I’d rather be stung by a dozen hornets than be eaten by a dragon, that doesn’t mean that I don’t have a right to complain about the stings.

When I’m in a professional meeting with men, I often have to fight to get my voice heard – and if I talk as much or as confidently as the men do, I may get labeled “bossy” or “shrill.” When I leave the house, strangers feel free to comment on my body, which makes me feel unsafe and exposed. Men I meet tend to evaluate me first as a sexual object, and only second (or never) as a competent or interesting human.

These things make a difference.

They don’t make it impossible for me to have a good job, to go about my day, and to have the kinds of relationships I want, but they do make it harder. Any one thing by itself would be no big deal, but in time they add up.

Just like you can brush off one hornet sting, but if you got stung every day, multiple times a day, all over your body, you might start to get really, really bothered by it.

Now, when I talk about the ways sexism hurts me, I’m not whining or making things up. I don’t think of myself as a victim, and I don’t actually enjoy complaining. I’m also not saying I’m not glad I have the freedom to vote, to apply for any job I want, and to be viewed as a full legal human.

I’m just saying that I’m still hurt by sexism, and that I want the world to be better for myself and other women.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: 4 Reasons Anti-Feminist Women Hate Feminism
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 12:31pm

2. ‘Feminism Says Women Are Weak’

“Women may have a few obstacles that men don’t, but feminism actually insults women by acting like they’re not able to overcome those obstacles. It encourages women to be sensitive and thin-skinned instead of being tough and going after their goals. Women don’t need feminism. We’re strong enough to succeed on our own.”

It’s true that some women are capable of overcoming every obstacle that sexism puts in their way. We have women heading up corporations, pioneering scientific discoveries, and this past election, a woman came incredibly close to being elected the next president of the United States.

Powerful, successful women like Oprah Winfrey, Sally Ride, and Melinda Gates prove that women can do anything men can, even with the added burden of institutional sexism.

But the strength of these women, while I admire and celebrate it, shows off a part of the problem.

Women can achieve just about every success men can, but they have to be stronger, tougher, and usually more qualified than their male counterparts. They need to be thick-skinned enough to shrug off harassment. They need to walk a fine line of being assertive without being judged “bossy” or “bitchy.”

Among CEOs of Fortune 500 companies, for the last several years, between 20 and 25 have been women – around 4-4.5%. Those 20+ women are impressive, and their achievement shouldn’t be underrated, but that percentage is discouraging.

Less than 5% of Fortune 500 CEOs are women: If that doesn’t show that sexism is still making it harder for women to reach the top of their field, what does it show? I simply don’t believe that men are, on average, 19 times better at corporate leadership skills than women.

Similarly, many women in scientific fields have talked about the barriers that keep them from advancing, and often that keep them from staying in the field at all.

Sexual harassment is a huge problem in the academic world, and causes many women to leave promising careers because they can’t handle the dehumanization, and because their work is taken less seriously than their sexual potential. Many women stay in STEM fields anyway, and achieve great things, but many other women, just as capable, have to leave.

Feminism doesn’t say that women are weak: It just says that, to succeed in any given field, women shouldn’t have to be so much stronger than the men they’re working with.

3. ‘Feminists Hate Men’

“Feminists treat men like they’re the enemy: They say all men are rapists and misogynists, just trying to keep women down. Feminists aren’t content with gender equality. They want to put women in power and oppress men, just like women used to be oppressed.”

I admit that I often feel frustrated with “men” in the abstract these days. Having been harassed, belittled, and taken advantage of by so many men, I am a little wary when meeting a man I don’t know.

However, there are also a lot of men I love, respect, and trust.  I don’t hate “men,” as such – I hate toxic masculinity.

Toxic masculinity is the set of rules and expectations we have for male behavior – including how men are supposed to treat and think about women. Toxic masculinity is what tells men it’s not okay to cry, and it is okay to catcall women. Toxic masculinity is what tells a man that his worth is in gaining power over others, and that it is shameful to have a woman beat him at anything.

Toxic masculinity hurts men.

Men are pressured to be high achievers and always competing with each other, which creates stress. The expectation that they will always appear powerful and in control makes it hard for men to ask for help. They’re shamed and ridiculed for stepping outside the bounds of “acceptable” masculine behavior.

All of this makes it harder for men to get through the world.

Feminists don’t want to destroy or oppress men: They want to destroy toxic masculinity, to let people of all genders see how damaging it is to all of us.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 12:32pm

4. ‘Feminism Means Rejecting Traditional Gender Roles’

“Feminism is for women who want careers, who don’t like makeup and shopping, who want to be the boss in their relationships. Women who like being homemakers, being traditionally feminine, and having their partners take the lead don’t need feminism – and feminism often looks down on those women.”

It’s true that feminist movements tend to be headed by people who don’t feel the status quo suits them. It’s also true that some feminists look down on conventional ways of being feminine – and that’s a problem.

There’s a thing we call “femmephobia,” which is the attitude that anything traditionally associated with women is inferior.

It’s the reason keeping up a home and taking care of children isn’t viewed as a “real job.” It’s the reason books, movies, and music that tend to be enjoyed more by women are seen as fluff.

People all over the gender and political spectrums can fall into femmephobia. Sometimes feminists do a good job of questioning why “girl stuff” is considered less valuable and worthwhile, and sometimes we fall into the trap of looking down on it.

What’s important to me, as a feminist, is not steering clear of traditional femininity. It’s getting rid of the assumption that women should be feminine and men should be masculine.

There are definitely some people that do fit very comfortably into the roles their culture put them in, and that’s great for them! Obviously, there are also plenty of people who don’t.

Housekeeping and childrearing are skills just like any other, and some people – of any gender – find that work interesting and rewarding (I’m one of them!).

I want to see a world where those skills are considered valuable for anyone who wants to pursue them. I also want to see a world where makeup, fashion, and beauty are respected as the arts they are.

Even submissive or “follower” relationship roles, which might seem at first glance to be obviously an inferior position, aren’t necessarily so. Many people feel happiest and most comfortable playing first mate to someone else’s captain, and doing that well is a relationship skill all its own.

I’d like to see a world where people are free to find the balance of leader/follower dynamics that work best for them, whatever their gender.

Feminism isn’t about flipping the script of gender roles, where women are powerful and in charge and men are submissive. Feminism is about increasing the freedom we all have to find the roles that fit us best.

Changing my view of what feminism meant was a little scary for me – it was comforting to tell myself that women had achieved equality, and that any issues I might experience with sexism were just isolated, one-off events.

Eventually it became clear to me that that just wasn’t true. All the little moments of sexism I experienced were connected, and other women faced more intense and constant discrimination that came from the same source.

We still had a steeper hill to climb than men – and while I didn’t want to believe that at first, in the end, I found it a source of strength.

I don’t like or agree with every feminist, but I find strength in the fact that we have experienced some of the same struggles, and are still working and succeeding. When I get tired and frustrated, there’s a whole community of other feminists to support and encourage me.

Most importantly, I find strength in knowing we’re committed to making the world a better, easier place for each other and the women that come after us.

http://everydayfeminism.com/2016/12/anti-feminist-women/?utm_content=buffer5f17d...

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 12:33pm

One of the best simple explanations of what feminism is and isn't i've ever read.

More than a few on this forum could stand to read it.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 12:59pm

So long as it doesn't require men to do chick work, then what ever cheeses their cracker.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 1:21pm

BigOl64 wrote on Jul 26th, 2017 at 12:59pm:
So long as it doesn't require men to do chick work, then what ever cheeses their cracker.

Oh? What constitutes "chick work"?

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #6 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 1:28pm

mothra wrote on Jul 26th, 2017 at 1:21pm:
BigOl64 wrote on Jul 26th, 2017 at 12:59pm:

Oh? What constitutes "chick work"?

Housework, Id rather just pay someone to do that

Any sort of service type job, traditionally done by women

But as far as women doing what ever they want, couldn't care less, just do not want expectations that I would do chick work, ever.

If that was a requirement of feminism, then No

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #7 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 1:31pm

I've been reading & listening about the sisterhood quite a bit lately.
Seems what they mostly hate now is each other for a whole crazy patchwork of reasons.
It's like the French revolutionaries, they hated each other in the end more than the aristocracy and the Church.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 1:33pm

bogarde73 wrote on Jul 26th, 2017 at 1:31pm:
Seems what they mostly hate now is each other for a whole crazy patchwork of reasons.
It's like the French revolutionaries, they hated each other in the end more than the aristocracy and the Church.

You'd be, as usual, quite wrong.

There has always been division and heated debate within feminism. Nothing has changed.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #9 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 1:40pm

mothra wrote on Jul 26th, 2017 at 1:33pm:
bogarde73 wrote on Jul 26th, 2017 at 1:31pm:

You'd be, as usual, quite wrong.

There has always been division and heated debate within feminism. Nothing has changed.

It is much easier being a male, do what you want, take responsibility for what is your responsibility.
Don't take sh1t from idiots.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 2:43pm

Normal women dont want to look like cupid stunts like the author of this thread.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 2:48pm

miketrees wrote on Jul 26th, 2017 at 2:43pm:
Normal women dont want to look like cupid stunts like the author of this thread.

No. Real women don't want men telling us what a real woman is.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 4:14pm

1. Non-feminist women don't want to be associated with hairy-armpitted land whales.
2. Non-feminist women have compassion for the specific problems men have and demand compassion in kind.
3. Non-feminist women refuse to be indoctrinated by the same victim industry that gave us pansexuals, antifa and Gilian Triggs.
4. Non-feminist women believe that the quality of their lives depends on their drive and  dedication just as hard-working men do.
Hope that helps.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 4:39pm

Poor Hammer. If only you read the article, you wouldn't be looking quite so foolish now.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 4:45pm

mothra wrote on Jul 26th, 2017 at 4:39pm:
Poor Hammer. If only you read the article, you wouldn't be looking quite so foolish now.
Feminism is boring to me. It's like the abos. It goes on year after year with no end. Get over it.

IP Logged

Gordon

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #15 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 4:53pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Jul 26th, 2017 at 4:14pm:
1. Non-feminist women don't want to be associated with hairy-armpitted land whales.
2. Non-feminist women have compassion for the specific problems men have and demand compassion in kind.
3. Non-feminist women refuse to be indoctrinated by the same victim industry that gave us pansexuals, antifa and Gilian Triggs.
4. Non-feminist women believe that the quality of their lives depends on their drive and  dedication just as hard-working men do.
Hope that helps.

Is it another opinion piece from The Onion?

IBI

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 4:55pm

I would suggest that your understanding of feminism is as sophisticated as your understanding of Aboriginal affairs.

That is, not very and based on misinformation and prejudice.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 5:01pm

mothra wrote on Jul 26th, 2017 at 4:55pm:
I would suggest that your understanding of feminism is as sophisticated as your understanding of Aboriginal affairs.

F$@K you're boring, Mothballs!

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 5:26pm

And yet, here you are.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 5:29pm

Loads of people from both genders are doing it tough at the moment. Get with the times.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 5:31pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Jul 26th, 2017 at 5:29pm:

Loads of people from both genders are doing it tough at the moment. Get with the times.

Yes. Feminism represents men too. You'd know that, had you read the article.

Feminism strives to combat all oppression and inequality.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 5:33pm

Poor old Mothra,, one of the old fashioned left behind wallflowers of the femnazis.
Still believes in equality of outcomes not equality of opportunity.

The intelligent women have said stuff that we will be dragged down by a bunch of drongoes.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 5:35pm

Miketrees, evidencing, as he does with regularity, that he has absolutely no idea at all.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 5:36pm

mothra wrote on Jul 26th, 2017 at 5:31pm:

That's funny, those hairy armpited  woman in truckie singlets   look really friendly??? Roll Eyes

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 5:38pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Jul 26th, 2017 at 5:36pm:

That's funny, those hairy armpited  woman in truckie singlets   look really friendly??? Roll Eyes

"Misinformation and prejudice".

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 9:19pm

mothra wrote on Jul 26th, 2017 at 12:33pm:
One of the best simple explanations of what feminism is and isn't i've ever read.

Lowbrow, cliched nonsense, badly written. No wonder it appeals to you.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #26 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 9:22pm

mothra wrote on Jul 26th, 2017 at 12:33pm:

Could you please break it all down into a few digestible sentences?

Thank you.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 9:38pm

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Why is it not called humanism, then, you silly, ignorant,  two-bob parrot?

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #28 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 10:05pm

Feminist women should start being first class ladies instead of trying to be second class men............... Cheesy

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 2:26pm

Well, haven't the comments on this thread illustrated how very much we still need feminism.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #30 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 2:34pm

Actually, this thread only serves as a reminder of how flaky you are. Mothballs, meet Coppernet elephant by train.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 2:38pm

I'm flaky? Not one of you have actually read the article ... you're just having a little nurse of your fragile male egos because the word "feminism" was used.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 2:47pm

I glossed over the article. I'm not threatened by feminism at all. It's just another redundant ideology that does'nt have much place in 2017 Australia. Muslim countries on the other hand...

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 2:51pm

Proving once again that you don't know what feminism is and is not.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #34 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 3:28pm

I most definitely do not need a bunch of feminist representing me. I happen to pride myself on my ability to not need a bunch of idiot socialists telling me how much I need them or to be like them.

Look after yourselves if you want, but keep me the fkk out of it.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 7:09pm

mothra wrote on Jul 27th, 2017 at 2:51pm:
Proving once again that you don't know what feminism is and is not.

You feminism sounds an awful lot like Islam:
Perpetual victims
Nobody speaks for Islam or Feminism
Islam and feminism speak for everyone
Feminism and Islam is whatever you want it to be as long as you can bludgen others over the head with YOUR version of it
Anyone who disagrees with you is a bigot and will be punished

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #36 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 7:22pm

When talking about Feminism, it's important to make two distinction. First, there's a new movement called 'Third Wave Feminism' - this is what many anti-feminists don't like. Third-wave Feminism is associated with man-hating and misandry.

The Feminism you're referring to, and the one on which most men would support is Second-wave Feminism, which removed all those institutional prejudices and structures that affected women negatively; and also replaced (rightly so) the sterotypical role of women as 'homemakers'.

Regarding the individual day-to-day sexism, there's no doubt that happens and that's unacceptable. I have never personally cat-called a woman, and never have I commented inappropriately to a female who was a stranger to me.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 7:23pm

mothra wrote on Jul 26th, 2017 at 2:48pm:
miketrees wrote on Jul 26th, 2017 at 2:43pm:

No. Real women don't want men telling us what a real woman is.

Real women will not, then, presumably, tell men what they expect a real man to be like?

In other words real women will not be judgmental of men - you silly, unthinking hypocrite.

"Critical thinking" - you wouldn't know anything about it.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 7:25pm

Auggie wrote on Jul 27th, 2017 at 7:22pm:
When talking about Feminism, it's important to make two distinction. First, there's a new movement called 'Third Wave Feminism' - this is what many anti-feminists don't like. Third-wave Feminism is associated with man-hating and misandry.

The Feminism you're referring to, and the one on which most men would support is Second-wave Feminism, which removed all those institutional prejudices and structures that affected women negatively; and also replaced (rightly so) the sterotypical role of women as 'homemakers'.

Regarding the individual day-to-day sexism, there's no doubt that happens and that's unacceptable. I have never personally cat-called a woman, and never have I commented inappropriately to a female who was a stranger to me.

I would like to see Aquascoot go medieval on your sorry beta male arse, pal.  Cheesy Grin Cheesy

When are the fourth and fifths and Nth wave of feminism coming along?   Nothing dates like the latest wave of feminism, to paraphrase Chesterton.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #39 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 7:30pm

Frank wrote on Jul 27th, 2017 at 7:25pm:

I would like to see Aquascoot go medieval on your sorry beta male arse, pal.  Cheesy Grin Cheesy

When are the fourth and fifths and Nth wave of feminism coming along?   Nothing dates like the latest wave of feminism, to paraphrase Chesterton.

Beta male and proud of it.

You know, Jesus was what you would refer to as 'beta male'....

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 7:58pm

Auggie wrote on Jul 27th, 2017 at 7:30pm:
Frank wrote on Jul 27th, 2017 at 7:25pm:

Beta male and proud of it.

You know, Jesus was what you would refer to as 'beta male'....

Grin Grin Grin

Yeah, sure.

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #41 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 7:25pm

The task of feminism, in the West, has been completed so it moves onto other areas to keep itself relevant.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 10:29pm

Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on Jul 28th, 2017 at 7:25pm:
The task of feminism, in the West, has been completed so it moves onto other areas to keep itself relevant.

No. It most certainly hasn't.

The case of the poor young man gang-raped, filmed and publicly humiliated being only cosequenced with 6 month and suspended sentences is very much a feminist issue.

Why are men who made to weaker by assault worth less justice than a woman or child who is mad weaker by assault?

Why are men not outraged by this?

Feminists are.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 10:38pm

Frank wrote on Jul 26th, 2017 at 9:38pm:

I'm a humanist too, Frank. They're not mutually exclusive ideologies.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #44 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 3:06pm

mothra wrote on Jul 28th, 2017 at 10:38pm:

Humanism combats all oppression and inequality.Feminism combats the oppression and inequality of women.

Which one is the subsection of the other? Which one combats all oppression and which only of one of the sexes?

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #45 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 4:18pm

Frank wrote on Jul 29th, 2017 at 3:06pm:
mothra wrote on Jul 28th, 2017 at 10:38pm:

Humanism combats all oppression and inequality.Feminism combats the oppression and inequality of women.

Which one is the subsection of the other? Which one combats all oppression and which only of one of the sexes?

No. You're quite wrong. You should know that by now.

I even provided a handy and easy to read description at the start of the thread.

Also, i don't think you know what humanism is. Would you like me to tell you?

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 5:11pm

Yes, go ahead, make an even bigger fool of yourself.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 5:26pm

Frank wrote on Jul 29th, 2017 at 5:11pm:

It's the philosophy that places emphasis of rationality and reason over dogma.

The individual and the collective human is more important than any of the gods or superstitions.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 6:08pm

mothra wrote on Jul 29th, 2017 at 5:26pm:

The individual and the collective human is more important than any of the gods or superstitions.

You are confusing rationalism with humanism and adding a little stupidity of your own: "more important than any of the gods or superstitions". what do you call the school of thought where the gods and superstitions are declared to be more important than humans?

I knew you'd have no idea.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 6:13pm

Frank wrote on Jul 29th, 2017 at 6:08pm:

You are confusing rationalism with humanism and adding a little stupidity of your own: "more important than any of the gods or superstitions". what do you call the school of thought where the gods and superstitions are declared to be more important than humans?

It's not about what i call them. Frank. It is about what they are called.

The term Humanism is an existent branch of philosophy that is as i have described.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanism

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #50 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 6:26pm

mothra wrote on Jul 29th, 2017 at 6:13pm:
Frank wrote on Jul 29th, 2017 at 6:08pm:

It's not about what i call them. Frank. It is about what they are called.

The term Humanism is an existent branch of philosophy that is as i have described.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanism

Wikipedia, eh?

Humanism is a new focus, a new curiosity, a new valuation, not a reaction (like you and your feminism) to resented 'establishments'. As the very word indicates, it "seeks to account for the specificity, uniqueness and dignity of human life".

It encompasses the human dignity of men and women and is a much larger, richer and more fruitful way to look at the world than feminism which is, like all the other reactionary ideologies, is set up in opposition to The Man. Feminism, like communism, fascism, Islam, the men's movement, gay liberation, etc, etc, is based on and motivated by rancour and resentment.

Humanism is not, yet it does speak for the dignity of even the rancorous and resentful. That's why it is bigger and better than feminism and all the others.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #51 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 6:32pm

Did you not read your link?

Or did you not understand it?

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 7:28pm

mothra wrote on Jul 29th, 2017 at 6:32pm:

Humour me, go on. What did you misunderstand this time?

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 4:01am

Frank wrote on Jul 29th, 2017 at 7:28pm:

I beg your pardon Frank. I cannot work out for the life of me how feminism and humanism are mutually exclusive.

You're going to need to establish that, old bean.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #54 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 7:22am

If they both have the same objectives, why don't women just practice humanism?

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #55 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 2:42pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Jul 30th, 2017 at 7:22am:
If they both have the same objectives, why don't women just practice humanism?

They are different things, Hammer.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #56 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 7:30pm

mothra wrote on Jul 30th, 2017 at 4:01am:
Frank wrote on Jul 29th, 2017 at 7:28pm:

I beg your pardon Frank. I cannot work out for the life of me how feminism and humanism are mutually exclusive.

You're going to need to establish that, old bean.

Humanism is about humans. Feminism is about females - not the rest of humanity.

I am not surprised that such an obvious distinction has escaped you, critical non-thinker.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #57 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 7:43pm

I am supportive of the wishes of feminism but hugely disappointed by their failure.

They have made things better for a very small minority of Women while disadvantaging the vast majority. While this has never been their intention it is never the less a fact. The corporate world managed to hijack the agenda.

Women on the whole no longer have the option to raise their children - it has become economically unfeasible for the vast majority. Families are much worse off.

While women have seemed to get more equal pay rates it has been as much a case of the male rate coming down to meet the female level. In the terms of a family the corporate world have ended up with two employees for the effective price of one.

There was a time when an average male wage was enough to pay the bills - that is mostly no longer true, two wages are required to achieve the same result.

One of the bigger issues is the number of professional women who will never have a child. The cost of success in the feminist business world. Just another sad undesired result.

Unfortunately the negative results have far outweighed any positives, the sad result of a good idea with the best intentions.

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #58 - Jul 31st, 2017 at 7:33pm

mothra wrote on Jul 28th, 2017 at 10:29pm:
Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on Jul 28th, 2017 at 7:25pm:

No. It most certainly hasn't.

The case of the poor young man gang-raped, filmed and publicly humiliated being only cosequenced with 6 month and suspended sentences is very much a feminist issue.

Why are men who made to weaker by assault worth less justice than a woman or child who is mad weaker by assault?

Why are men not outraged by this?

Feminists are.

No it isn't. It's a law and order issue and an example of crappy sentencing.

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #59 - Jul 31st, 2017 at 7:37pm

No it doesn't. You're confusing rationality/reason with values.

Quote:

Feminists are very late to the game on this. The classical liberals and socialists were onto this long before feminists.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #60 - Jul 31st, 2017 at 8:04pm

If a woman wants to hook a man she's got to do it early. If she's young and banging on about feminism good chances she'll end up alone. Blokes lose interest in woman as their testosterone decreases. If a woman is single and in her 30's or 40's finding a bloke would be hard. Blokes are firing in their teens and just aren't as eager in that age group. If a bloke has made it into his 30's or 40's single I doubt he's ever going to change. Feminism needed to happen but it's really affected population growth in the western world. It's definitely linked to why people are having less children.
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2017 at 8:10pm by Mr Hammer »  

IP Logged

Blue Jay

Australian Politics

Reply #61 - Aug 27th, 2017 at 7:33pm

Dnarever wrote on Jul 30th, 2017 at 7:43pm:
I am supportive of the wishes of feminism but hugely disappointed by their failure.

They have made things better for a very small minority of Women while disadvantaging the vast majority. While this has never been their intention it is never the less a fact. The corporate world managed to hijack the agenda.

Women on the whole no longer have the option to raise their children - it has become economically unfeasible for the vast majority. Families are much worse off.

While women have seemed to get more equal pay rates it has been as much a case of the male rate coming down to meet the female level. In the terms of a family the corporate world have ended up with two employees for the effective price of one.

There was a time when an average male wage was enough to pay the bills - that is mostly no longer true, two wages are required to achieve the same result.

One of the bigger issues is the number of professional women who will never have a child. The cost of success in the feminist business world. Just another sad undesired result.

Unfortunately the negative results have far outweighed any positives, the sad result of a good idea with the best intentions.

That's an excellent set of points.  However, I would add that equal opportunity is an essential right for everybody.  I'm not saying you don't believe that, I'm saying that I (and the majority of people) do believe that.

I have a few things that anyone in this thread may want to consider.  I apologise, i'm not allowed to post links to support my arguments because I'm a newbie.

1. Since the rise of feminism, women's happiness index (over decades, many women interviewed) has plummeted.  The study was extensive.  In fact, the scientific study concluded that men were better off than women with the rise of feminism!  Men's happiness had not changed while women's happiness dropped significantly.

2. Wages have stagnated in line with the rise of feminism.  As the labour force expanded considerably, so did the supply.  Increased supply and stagnant demand drives down wages (as can be seen by studying wage trends).

3. According to wikipedia, less than 20% of women are feminists, yet, 85% of people believe in equal opportunity (ie. feminism does not correlate to equal opportunity in the slightest).

4. Among flawed comments from the original author, the original author said feminism doesn't hate men.  How can the original author speak on behalf of all feminists?  There are many videos and articles that are vitriolic towards men ("men" collectively, no caveats).  In this instance, I would say that I see significant hostility from many feminists toward males.

If you want an insight to feminism, you should listen to the factual feminist.  She tells it as it is.  If you're looking for someone to bust the many, many myths from feminsts, she is your champion.  She's been a feminist for many years and she researches thoroughly.  She dispells the "wage-gap" and violence myths (among a long list of others).

For another insightful perspective of feminsm, watch videos by Jordan Peterson.  He's a Canadian clinical psychologist from University of Toronto.  He has decades of experience and loads of videos on youtube.  Look for SJW and feminism along with his name.  He has a deep knowlege (eg. the most egalitarian countries have a bigger spread in career choices that men and women choose, which is backed by an indepth study across 35 countries).

There's a reason why the overwhelming majority of women throughout the western world (as stated by wikipedia) are not feminist.  If you can defend feminism (like the original author did) after listening to the factual feminist and Jordan Peterson, then I take my hat off to you.  The factual feminist wrote a book called "Who Stole Feminism?".  At one point she even said she'd seriously thought about stopping using the term "feminism".

Conversely, if you're a guy and you express negative comments toward women because of feminism, keep in mind that about 4 in 5 women (or in Germany and England, where the countries' leaders are female, 9 in 10 women) are not feminists.  That's good odds that a woman you are talking to rejects the ideology.  If in doubt, don't be afraid to ask them.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #62 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 5:20pm

mothra wrote on Jul 26th, 2017 at 12:30pm:

I used to agree with a lot of statements like this. I thought feminists were only doing harm to themselves and others, and I proudly proclaimed that I was not a feminist.

"Men CAN'T Control Cr@zy W0men!!" Sane women will have to do something about the insane women. Petersen talking to Paglia (the most erudite woman writing today)

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #63 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 7:52pm

Frank wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 5:20pm:

"Men CAN'T Control Cr@zy W0men!!" Sane women will have to do something about the insane women. Petersen talking to Paglia (the most erudite woman writing today)

Societies have used allegations of insanity to discredit women and successfully shut us up for centuries.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #64 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 12:47am

Annie Anthrax wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 7:52pm:

Societies have used allegations of insanity to discredit women and successfully shut us up for centuries.

No point moving from a tried and true method then. Although that begs the question... What are you doing here having your say?

edit: The point I'm trying to make is, is your statement the current state of affairs or are you living in the past? Is it current or just a historical statement? Are you angry at history or the world you live in?
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2017 at 12:56am by Setanta »  

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #65 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 11:36am

Setanta wrote on Dec 10th, 2017 at 12:47am:
Annie Anthrax wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 7:52pm:

No point moving from a tried and true method then. Although that begs the question... What are you doing here having your say?

edit: The point I'm trying to make is, is your statement the current state of affairs or are you living in the past? Is it current or just a historical statement? Are you angry at history or the world you live in?

But it is not true even historically.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #66 - Dec 2nd, 2023 at 6:32pm

This Topic was moved here from Women's Issues by freediver.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print