Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print
4 Corners - theft of water (Read 10509 times)
John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: 4 Corners - theft of water
Reply #30 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 11:13am

____ wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 10:56am:
Babies being born today have the potential of 500 - 1000 year life spans due to medical advances in the pipeline.

and you have the potential to one day say something intelligent. Like the 1000 yr old babies , it hasn't happened yet, but the potential is there.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #31 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 11:20am

cods wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 10:17am:
Jovial Monk wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 10:13am:
So you approve of theft, do you codsy?

no pet.. just UNDERSTAND IT    thats all..

how do we expect them to do their job?.. Sad

any ideas monk?...

you know as well as I do  we waste so much water in the country  Angry

I am waiting for Qld to announce the drought   and whine for more money.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Sorry but to me it sounds like you think theft is alright. Bit of a rethink codsy.

I just need $10,000 to make my small business a reality, I know, I will hold up a bank!

Except these water THIEVES are depriving people further down the river and the environment. Theft is theft.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #32 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 11:24am

Jovial Monk wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 11:20am:
cods wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 10:17am:
Jovial Monk wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 10:13am:
So you approve of theft, do you codsy?

no pet.. just UNDERSTAND IT    thats all..

how do we expect them to do their job?.. Sad

any ideas monk?...

you know as well as I do  we waste so much water in the country  Angry

I am waiting for Qld to announce the drought   and whine for more money.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Sorry but to me it sounds like you think theft is alright. Bit of a rethink codsy.

I just need $10,000 to make my small business a reality, I know, I will hold up a bank!

Except these water THIEVES are depriving people further down the river and the environment. Theft is theft.

Latest news ABC -

Sarah Hanson-Young is bringing them before a Senate enquiry.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #33 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 11:34am

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 10:23am:
Redmond Neck wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 9:16am:
I would have thought the far north of Australia that has a big wet season would be where you would grow cotton not in the dry areas along the Murray Darling!

Frankly cotton growing in the MDB is idiocy of the highest order, just followed by the MIA and all the rice.

No you are wrong just ask cods!

Let them take all they want and fargue all the people downstream, not to mention the wetlands drying up!

No go for it you cotton picking arseholes steal water not allocated to you and expand your cotton farms.

Well done cods love your attitude!  Angry Angry Angry Angry

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #34 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 12:29pm

John Smith wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 10:31am:
cods wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 10:08am:
they were growing cotton long before 2012....what do you wan t more Aussie industry going overseas?

and that is why we have a problem with the murray system. Cotton is the wrong crop for that area.
They're not going to move the farm overseas if they can't grow cotton Cods, they're going to plant something else.

Cattle and sheep?   Cool

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 12:34pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 12:29pm:
John Smith wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 10:31am:
cods wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 10:08am:
they were growing cotton long before 2012....what do you wan t more Aussie industry going overseas?

and that is why we have a problem with the murray system. Cotton is the wrong crop for that area.
They're not going to move the farm overseas if they can't grow cotton Cods, they're going to plant something else.

Cattle and sheep?   Cool

goats. Why does no one in Australia ever say goats?
it's the most popular meat in the world, but in Australia it almost doesn't exist. Cheesy Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #36 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 12:40pm

Oh, I eat goat, feral goat. Delicious! Farmed goat literally stinks!

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 12:46pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 12:40pm:
Farmed goat literally stinks!

lamb stinks just as bad, yet it seems to be a favourite

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 12:50pm

Meat’s large water footprint: why raising livestock and poultry for meat is so resource-intensive

Surprise and disbelief. That’s what often follows when people learn about the large water footprint of many meat products.

Common responses include: “Really?” “That can’t be right.” “That’s ridiculous.”

Shock is reasonable after discovering that the global average water footprint – or the total amount of water needed – to produce one pound of beef is 1,799 gallons of water; one pound of pork takes 576 gallons of water. As a comparison, the water footprint of soybeans is 216 gallons; corn is 108 gallons. (Compare more products here [US standard] and here [metric].)

The large water footprints for beef, pork and other meats indicate the large volumes of water used for their production. They also suggest a great use of resources beyond water. The question then becomes, why is raising livestock and poultry for meat so resource-intensive?

The answer is mainly based on the food that livestock eat. Here, the water footprint concept can provide some insight. What the water footprint reveals is the magnitude of water “hidden” in meat as a tally of all the water consumed at the various steps during production. Better understanding meat’s resource intensity necessitates a closer look at two crucial factors.

The first has to do with an animal’s efficiency to turn its food into body mass known as feed conversion ratios (FCR) (i.e., identical units of feed to meat, so feed: meat). The range of FCRs is based on the type of animal, and according to Dr. Robert Lawrence of Johns Hopkins University, the ratios are approximately 7:1 for beef, 5:1 for pork and 2.5:1 for poultry. The larger the animal, the larger the percentage of that animal’s body mass is inedible material like bone, skin and tissue. This is why beef conversion ratios are the highest and it takes exponentially less water and energy inputs to produce grains, beans and vegetables than meat. To be clear, raising a beef cow takes more resources because a typical beef cow in the US eats thousands of pounds of the above-listed corn and soybeans during its lifetime. Of course, the cultivation of field crops that are eventually fed to beef cattle require huge amounts of water, fertilizers, fuel to power farm machinery, land for farm fields and so forth. It all adds up.

The second reason for meat production’s great resource intensity is due to its immense scale. Globally, there is a projected “food animal” population of over 20 billion, more than twice that of the current seven billion humans the planet carries, with the animal count expected to rise along with human population growth. The animal production system expanding rapidly around the world is the industrialized concentrated animal feeding operation (CAFOs) model, the so-called “conventional” (and extremely problematic)  American system developed in over the last 50 years or so. CAFOs are more efficient strictly in terms of more animals produced, faster animal growth and shorter meat-to-market times because huge numbers of animals are combined into one facility where they are fed grains (and growth promoters) before being butchered. The enormous quantity of feed given to large populations of livestock, poultry and even fish – consisting primarily of corn, soy and other grains – can also exact a heavy toll in terms of resources and external pollution because of the industrial production of these crops. So even though there are perceived economic efficiency gains due to scales of production, the sheer size of these operations – including industrially produced crops and their overreliance on fossil fuels and fertilizers – swamps those gains entirely in terms of real, absolute resource-use and pollution

That’s why revealing the virtual water hidden in meat and explaining its resource-intensity matters; acknowledging the potential problems and limits can lay the groundwork for sensible, sustainable ways forward.

Rather than represent meat production in the abstract, this post brings forward the reality that meat eaten by many people every day has a concrete effect on resource use. Not only is meat resource-intensive, but the system of production, as in the CAFO model, also carries substantial environmental and human health problems rarely accounted for in the race to meet meat demand. Why does this matter? Because as the world gets smaller, owing to population growth, higher incomes and wider adoption of technology, there is a greater strain on resources—a process in which meat is implicated.

In the end, people need to eat regardless of resource availability. Considering that meat does eat up vast amounts of resources, it seems that using it wisely (already crucial) will become even more so in the future. That’s why revealing the virtual water hidden in meat and explaining its resource-intensity matters; acknowledging the potential problems and limits can lay the groundwork for sensible, sustainable ways forward. It also suggests that as feeding the world is a primary objective, humanity might be wise to alter our current trajectory of evermore meat produced industrially at any cost.

https://foodtank.com/news/2013/12/why-meat-eats-resources/

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #39 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 12:55pm

Bah, vegetarian seeking attention again!

Where are most beef cattle grown? On broadscale pasture.

Meat is delicious. You have just one short life, don’t deprive yourself of pleasure, like a well cooked steak or stew or pie!

Veges probably take more water to grow.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 12:56pm

how much water does it take to grow tofu? Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 12:56pm

Just stating the facts, Monk.

Make of it what you will.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #42 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 12:58pm

If you don’t state that most of that water is rainfall then you are lying by omission.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 12:58pm

John Smith wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 12:56pm:

Considerably less. Did you read the article ... it's all in there.

Eat meat, don't eat meat .. but if you want to conserve the MDB, don't suggest running livestock is all.

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #44 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 1:00pm

mothra wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 12:58pm:
John Smith wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 12:56pm:

Considerably less. Did you read the article ... it's all in there.

Eat meat, don't eat meat .. but if you want to conserve the MDB, don't suggest running livestock is all.

TBH, the livestock arent the big water users on the MDB.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print