Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Next Mob Has To Prepare For Massive Crash (Read 702 times)
____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Next Mob Has To Prepare For Massive Crash
Jul 23rd, 2017 at 9:34am

The kiwis realise it ... yet what about sheeple this side of the ditch?

Next Government must be ready for a market crash

It's hard to know if all the turmoil of global politics has eased off in the past few weeks or if I have become more numb to it.

Donald Trump's son has been implicated more deeply in allegations of Russian election interference. And there's been the US President's usual parade of embarrassing tweets and encounters with more sophisticated world leaders - particularly in Europe.

The threat of war is present in hot spots around the world.

The Middle East looks worrying ... as usual. The dynamics have changed and there are new tensions involving the Saudi Arabian-led bloc and Qatar. This has heightened tensions with Iran.

It's not hard to imagine an escalation there exacerbating Cold War-style tensions between the big powers.

It's also not hard to imagine an escalation out of North Korea, perhaps provoking the US into a targeted military strike on a missile facility.

This would deeply complicate US Chinese relations.

There is even the threat of a border war between India and China - unfolding in the past week.

Terrorism remains a worrying and complex problem in the UK and Europe even as Isis loses ground in Syria and Iraq.

Then there is the wild-card threat of cyber terrorism. Destructive malware like the Petya virus that came out of the Ukraine last month has caused chaos for many companies. It offered a frightening glimpse of the potential power of hackers.

In New Zealand we've been distracted by six weeks of amazing sport, on the water and the rugby field.

We've also had an increasingly internal focus as we build towards the election campaign.

Or perhaps it is the school holidays. In the northern hemisphere the silly season malaise of a long, hot summer is also in full force.

Regardless, stock markets have decided there is nothing imminent to worry about in all this geo-political theatre.

In the past couple of weeks markets have soared to new peaks - on Wall Street and on New Zealand's NZX.

The bull run - the second longest in US history - is now eight years and four months old.

There's a risk we're in such extended territory that investors' time frames have shortened. Irrational exuberance sets in and people forget that markets can fall.

Globally, trillions of dollars have poured into passive exchange traded funds (ETFs) which track stock market indexes - offering easy, low cost returns ... as long as markets rise.

Analysts are worried this is causing market imbalances by putting too much weight on a handful of big, index dominating stocks. This could potentially a turn a sell-off into a crash.

The risk of a crash is always lurking though. Timing is the thing, not predicting that the boom times will end.

There's always an end.

I sincerely hope the market's golden run continues for some time yet.

I hope so for the sake of my KiwiSaver fund and yours.

I hope so for our listed New Zealand companies. Share market strength increases their capitalisation. It gives company directors confidence to stay in a more expansive mode.

Fletcher Building's woes aside, there are plenty of local stocks looking highly valued.

So let's hope some of that NZX growth will prove to be grounded in corporate earnings.

Locally, consumer confidence has stayed high. The ANZ Roy Morgan NZ Consumer Confidence survey for July was off a fraction but remains at historically strong levels.

It shows a relatively high proportion of people are feeling it is a good time to buy major household appliance - a giant TV or better car or family holiday.

In isolation that's a blunt and dispassionate measure of economic success. Despite all the headlines about poverty and inequality, it is a politically important one none the less.

As with the stock market booms, one can never be sure how much of confidence is driven by global sentiment - big macro-economic forces - or how much is due to fundamentals.

New Zealand has benefited from immigration and tourism. Our economy grew, on Chinese trade, through the post-GFC period.

We've followed that by hitching a ride on the economic upswing coming from recoveries in the US and Europe.

It's a good trick. We hold a rare and privileged position in the world's trade networks. We are seen as a desirable place to live and holiday.

That's why we have to keep paying close attention to world affairs.

We need to be braced for shocks and prepared for global downturns that could cut our growth sharply.

They would dent our ability to work on important domestic issues like inequality, productivity, wage growth and infrastructure.

For all the political chaos out there, these remain benign days for the global economy.

We must be sure to make the most of them.

This election is important because it might be the last for a while in such stable times.

If the bull market is still running in 2020 it will be Wall Street's longest.

The odds of a dramatic correction also grow as it rolls on.

The next New Zealand Government, however it emerges after September 23, should have time to make domestic policy improvements and to allocate spending in ways that ensure our future growth path.

It should treat that time as precious. It will need to be ready to cope with a crash.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11892965

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Re: Next Mob Has To Prepare For Massive Crash
Reply #1 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 9:54am

Quote:
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered.... I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies.... The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."

Thomas Jefferson

If our government had the issuing power and all governments around the world then there would hardly ever be market crashes.

I cant understand why governments all over the world have given this right to a hand full of greedy men, who runs the nations the governments or them....??

BTW the crashes are technical, just like 2008.

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 11:22am

Ajax wrote on Jul 23rd, 2017 at 9:54am:
Quote:
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered.... I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies.... The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."

Thomas Jefferson

If our government had the issuing power and all governments around the world then there would hardly ever be market crashes.

I cant understand why governments all over the world have given this right to a hand full of greedy men, who runs the nations the governments or them....??

BTW the crashes are technical, just like 2008.

This video tells me that the the government here is purposefully maintaining the high immigration rate in order to maintain the supply of new home buyers so the housing market does not collapse !! Classic ponzi scheme !

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 3:03pm

The Lefties "saving" the world.

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #4 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 5:15pm

Climate panic is already here: should be plenty of activity coming up!

......Australia has an illegitimate Government!

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 5:48pm

After the 2008 crash I put my super in capital guaranteed.

Why?

Because I knew another crash would happen.

IP Logged

tickleandrose
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 12:55pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 23rd, 2017 at 5:48pm:

Why?

Hi Sir Bobby, unfortunately this does not protect you either.  If the crash is severe enough, then the whole super company will go down.  Then, even if you have money in 'cash' option, it would be gone as well.

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #7 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 1:56pm

juliar wrote on Jul 23rd, 2017 at 3:03pm:
The Lefties "saving" the world.

juliar apparently forgot neglected to read sir lastnails comment  Shocked

......Australia has an illegitimate Government!

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #8 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 2:15pm

tickleandrose wrote on Jul 24th, 2017 at 12:55pm:
Bobby. wrote on Jul 23rd, 2017 at 5:48pm:

Why?

Hi Sir Bobby, unfortunately this does not protect you either.  If the crash is severe enough, then the whole super company will go down.  Then, even if you have money in 'cash' option, it would be gone as well.   

But  they said it's guaranteed.   Cry

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #9 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 2:29pm

If the world falls apart at the seams then the Federal Government has to option to

a) Declare all land holdings in Australia be returned to ownership by the citizens of this Country

b) Return all farmlands and food producing enterprises which are currently foreign owned to ownership by this Country

c) Nationalise all Gas resources for the use of Australians only

In other words do a Colonel Rabuka

This Country could easily provide for itself with its vast resources which are currently being shipped offshore for a pittance

Time for things to change!

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #10 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 7:28pm

red baron wrote on Jul 24th, 2017 at 2:29pm:
If the world falls apart at the seams then the Federal Government has to option to

a) Declare all land holdings in Australia be returned to ownership by the citizens of this Country

b) Return all farmlands and food producing enterprises which are currently foreign owned to ownership by this Country

c) Nationalise all Gas resources for the use of Australians only

In other words do a Colonel Rabuka

This Country could easily provide for itself with its vast resources which are currently being shipped offshore for a pittance

Time for things to change!

We don't even makes shoes here anymore.
Everything comes from China.
Unless we wanted to live like Abos 200 years ago we'd be in trouble.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print