Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Womens' super - so unfair says study (Read 4497 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Womens' super - so unfair says study
Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:14am

Australian women retire with less than half the amount of superannuation than men, and the system was designed to benefit working fathers when it launched 25 years ago, according to a major study.

The study entitled Not So Super, For Women, revealed a woman's median superannuation total by retirement was $80,000 - just 47 per cent of what a man the same age accumulated over the same period.

Author David Hetherington, from think-tank Per Capita, said on average, women retire with less than three years of modest retirement living.

At age 25, women have similar superannuation balances to men, but by the time they reach 35 their balances are 30 per cent lower and the gap continues to widen from there.

"Super was designed in the '80s and '90s for a different model of work and a different model of social structure," said Mr Hetherington.

"The man went to work 40-plus hours a week. It was assumed that women would have a man at home that would do the earning."

He said it systematically disadvantaged women, who were increasingly employed in low-paid, part-time positions.

Women facing homelessness and forced to skip meals

Lisa Smajlov is a 47-year-old single mother who does not own her own home.

Statistically she is among the nation's most vulnerable when it comes to retirement.

"I was in a domestic violence relationship and when I left my ex, my son was six months old and I couldn't work in the corporate sector," Ms Smajlov said.

The former human resources worker now works in social services and took a part-time role at half her previous salary.

"I'm not doing salary sacrifice at the moment like I did when I was in the corporate sector, when I had a very good salary," she said.

. . . . .The research recommended a range of policy changes, which included tracking super balances to identify where intervention was necessary, with 'accumulation pathways' offered to those falling behind.

"A top-up from government for people whose balances have fallen too far below the pathway towards a decent retirement income is another, so that government will be putting in another 2.5 per cent for them," Mr Hetherington said.

"Government should pay super contributions on its current paid parental leave scheme and we think enterprise agreements with employers and unions should be made to paid parental leave schemes."

The study polled 4,000 union members and used data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics Household, Income and Labour Dynamics survey to monitor how superannuation balances were changing over time.

It is a joint initiative by think tank Per Capita and The Australian Services Union.

The ABC sought comment from the Business Council of Australia and The Australian Federation of Employers & Industries without success.

:ABC Business

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Womens' super - so unfair says study
Reply #1 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:15am

queue a bunch of troglodytes banging on about how this is all the womans fault.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 11:09am

It is a bit rough considering so many women are having to financially support kids on their own (especially when the majority of bio-Fathers that don't contribute financially are, ironically ...well off to do so) at the start of their lives.
Really poor form for our Society.
We are financially treating single mothers,
no different to what we condemn Moslems for how they treat their women.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 11:19am

Crap.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 11:28am

Gnads wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 11:19am:
Crap.

Glad to see you agree that the situation is crap and should be fixed.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #5 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 11:34am

Any ideas how you can "fix" it?

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 11:46am

... wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 11:34am:
Any ideas how you can "fix" it?

Nullify the issues that cause the gap.

This would require a huge societal shift in the way men specifically think about women, and we all know how well fragile male egos handle being told they are the problem.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #7 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 11:53am

Didn't think you would.

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:01pm

... wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 11:53am:
Didn't think you would.

Ok, so one of the issues is that women are often forced to choose between raising a family and progressing their career, because their (usually male) managers often dont want to hire someone to cover the maternity leave period, and so simply replace the pregnant worker, setting back her career prospects. Plus, when they are ready to re enter the workforce, it is usually at reduced hours because they want to spend time with their baby and many higher paid jobs supposedly require full time work. This can easily be fixed by getting the (usually male) managers to rethink and revalue female workers.

Domestic violence is another problem that hinders women, because often their job suffers when they are getting the poo beaten out of them, and rather than showing compassion, their (usually male) managers get rid of them, further increasing their dependency on their abuser

The gender pay gap is another problem, and there is a lovely thread going on about that right now if you would like to join in.

So the solution remains the same. Fix mens attitudes towards women, and these problems will go away.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #9 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:09pm

Sounds like "the issues" for women, are womens choices. 

We could nullify those, like they do in Saudi Arabia, but would anybody like that?

My grandparents are going just fine in retirement, and they worked before there even was such a thing as compulsory super. 

Do you want to know their secret?

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:13pm

... wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:09pm:
Sounds like "the issues" are womens choices. 

So your argument is that women choose to be abused and get paid less.

You are a real hit with the ladies, aren't you.

Quote:
We could nullify those, like they do in Saudi Arabia, but would anybody like that?

So you think those are the only two options? How can you have that little imagination?

Quote:
My grandparents are going just fine in retirement, and they worked before there even was such a thing as compulsory super. 

Do you want to know their secret?

They lived during a period of unrivalled prosperity, cheap land/house prices, benefitted greatly from a universal health care system and much cheaper tertiary education, great wage growth and a once in a lifetime mining boom?

Oh wait, is here where you say they worked hard and saved a lot?

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #11 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:30pm

donincognito wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:13pm:
They lived during a period of unrivalled prosperity, cheap land/house prices, benefitted greatly from a universal health care system and much cheaper tertiary education, great wage growth and a once in a lifetime mining boom?

Well yes, those too, but the "secret" I had in mind was that they took responsibility for their lives, became part of a community that they care for and that cared for them, rather than outsourcing it to the government. 

They've now been married for nearly 70 years, and have lived rich and fulfilling lives together.  My grandfather is a kind and gentle man, the archetypal provider who would be perpetually friendzoned today.  If my grandmother had have selected a husband on the same qualities as women do today, or if she had have filed for divorce to "find herself", their lives would be very different. 

The choices we make eh? 

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #12 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:31pm

Wait until the 'lifetime' of affirmative action and super comes to fruition, and all the sheilas who've enjoyed the sweet ride and affirmative action in higher education, in public service jobs, hospital jobs and banking etc start to retire.  It's been forty odd years of AA now, plenty of time for the girls to accumulate super - all they need to do is wait another ten years or so until retirement age and they'll retire fattened to the max.... while many men will still live under the bridges or on pension alone.

Mandatory super has only run HALF a 'lifetime' to date - give it time.. all this guff about women's super etc is just distraction from the real issues and nothing but a petulant whine for 'gimme more'.
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:51pm by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:40pm

... wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:30pm:
donincognito wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:13pm:

Well yes, those too, but the "secret" I had in mind was that they took responsibility for their lives, became part of a community that they care for and that cared for them, rather than outsourcing it to the government. 

Who do you think has more time on their hands that they can spend on becoming part of the community. (1) A single mother juggling two low paying jobs and a child or (2) A wife who can afford to not work because her husbands take home pay is enough to cover all living expenses?

Quote:
They've now been married for nearly 70 years, and have lived rich and fulfilling lives together. 

Good for them

Quote:
My grandfather is a kind and gentle man, the archetypal provider who would be perpetually friendzoned today. 
The friendzone is a bullshit makebelieve invented by men desperate for a reason that women wont date them that isnt based on their own shortcomings.

Quote:
If my grandmother had have selected a husband on the same qualities as women do today, or if she had have filed for divorce to "find herself", their lives would be very different. 

And if your father was your mother you would be your own cousin.

Quote:
The choices we make eh? 

Yeah, some are a hell of a lot easier than others. Some are simply impossible to make today.

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:41pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:31pm:
Wait until the 'lifetime' of affirmative action and super comes to fruition, and all the sheilas who've enjoyed the sweet ride and affirmative action in higher education, in public service jobs, hospital jobs and banking etc start to retire.  It's been forty odd years of AA now, plenty of time for the girls to accumulate super - all they need to do is wait another ten years or so until retirement age and they'll retire fattened to the max.... while many men will still live under the bridges or on pension alone.

You are a disturbed individual and I honestly suggest you get some proper help from an actual psychologist/therapist. You can get 10 or so sessions covered on medicare. They will do you the world of good.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print