Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Turnbull Hasn't Lifted A Finger On Penalty Rates (Read 1952 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Turnbull Hasn't Lifted A Finger On Penalty Rates
Jul 21st, 2017 at 7:23am

Rocky business owner's fight for worker's wages
20th Jul 2017
The Bulletin

ROCKHAMPTON small business owner Patti Mules is taking a stand and putting her Sunday workers first by refusing to cut their penalty rates.   Smiley

Patti, who has run The Fastlane Drive-Thru Coffee in Berserker, seven days a week for the past two-and-a-half years, says she places greater value on her staff's financial welfare over making extra money from implementing the rate cut.

"I'm only doing what I think is good for my business and my staff. I appreciate my staff and they are great workers.” she said.

"I don't think it's right for my staff who come in on Sundays and not get the correct wage.

"If they are going to take time on the weekend and work for me, then they shouldn't suffer for that.”

The decision by the Fair Work Commission will see cuts gradually introduced to certain penalty rate provisions over the next three years affecting up to 700,000 employees in the hospitality, restaurant and retail industries who work on Sundays, public holidays, evenings or after midnight.

According to the Fair Work Commission website, on the first of July, hospitality workers like Patti's employees could suffer a 5% cut in their Sunday penalty rates with gradual cuts occurring each year until a total of 25% is cut by 2019.

READ: Rocky worker says penalty rate cut is 'laughable'

When she learned of the decision by the Fair Work Commission to cut penalty rates, Patti was adamant about not passing the cuts on to her eight staff.

"I went and had a chat with my accountant and I just said well it's not going to happen. I'm not going to drop my penalty rates.

"I just can't comprehend why they want to cut the wages on the weekend.”

Business has been going great according to Patti and she had been getting plenty of new and established customers coming through her drive-through to support her business because of her stand on penalty rates.

Patti's business received a visit on Wednesday from the Shadow Minister for Employment Brendan O'Connor and Queensland Senator Murray Watt who were both full of praise for Patti's decision to refuse to pass the cuts on to her staff.   Smiley

Senator Watt was extremely concerned about the financial impact of the penalty rate cuts on the CQ region.

He quoted figures showing up to 11,508 Capricornia workers in the retail, food and hospitality industries who faced a potential pay cut of up to $77 per week, if the penalty rates decision stood.

"It is also bad for the Central Queensland economy, as these workers will now have less money to spend in local shops, restaurants and other businesses,” Mr Watt said.

"Local Member Michelle Landry has campaigned for cuts to weekend penalty rates ... voted 7 times for cuts to weekend penalty rates - and Malcolm Turnbull hasn't lifted a finger to stop these cuts from coming into effect.   Sad

"Because of Malcolm Turnbull and Michelle Landry, workers in Rockhampton will receive a pay cut every 1 July until 2020.”

He said a Shorten Labor Government would reverse these pay cuts - and make sure it can't happen again.

Capricornia MP Michelle Landry has defended her support for the penalty rate cuts saying they could ultimately lead to increased job opportunities for the region.

"I fully support workers getting paid more on weekends and public holidays, but you have to get the balance right.

"As an independent umpire, the Fair Work Commission took more than 5000 submissions from both unions and employer representatives before making its decision.

"Everyone knows there is a trade-off between the level of penalty rates, and the availability of jobs on weekends.

"I've spoken to many employers across Rockhampton and Yeppoon who are unable to open on a Sunday. Now, they can. This decision creates more opportunities for jobs in our region.”

She said businesses in Capricornia were privately welcoming the changes, which will allow more work hours for more people.

IP Logged

stunspore
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Turnbull Hasn't Lifted A Finger On Penalty Rates
Reply #1 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 7:26am

Disagree.  Turnbull helped make sure it is reduced.

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #2 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 7:31am

Yes stunspore, and there will be a price to pay for the penalty rate cuts, at the next election.   Smiley

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 7:40am

The old ultra Lefty BlackDay is STILL pumping the GetUp! propaganda over Shorty's lies and hypocrisy over the penalty rates fiasco.

It was the decision of the Fair Works who were setup by Shorten who carefully plugged his Lefty Plants there who let him down.

And Shorten faithfully agreed to abide by any decision of HIS Fair Work.

Malcolm had NOTHING to do with the penalty rates decision by Fair Work and it would be an abuse of the Fair Work's independence if he interfered.

Any business that so wishes and can afford it like JB HiFi can give their good staff a bonus by NOT cutting the penalty rates.

As is carefully ignored by the ultra Lefty BlackDay, MacDonalds and others on enterprise agreements have ALREADY cut penalty rates.

The more sustainable penalty rates decision means that more businesses with a not so good financial position can open on weekends and employ staff.

So this penalty rates thing is a fizzer.

If BlackDay is not a member of GetUp! pumping preposterous propaganda I'll be a monkey's uncle!!!!

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 8:30am

"I just can't comprehend why they want to cut the wages on the weekend.”

No one can.

Well done, Patti.

http://www.tfl.coffee/hot-off-the-press/fast-lane-is-now-open-in-rockhampton

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 8:35am

Gecko,

your reputation precedes you everywhere you post.

Trashing your credibility again ? The paw soal must have a masochistic streak or something. But then some Lefties are downrite weird. Might be because they are Globally Warmed.

IP Logged

stunspore
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 8:47am

Maybe a survey for the population - who do you trust with penalty rates -> liberal or labor?

Without doing any research/survey, at this stage I think lab has the worker sector votes on this.

When it comes to penalty rate cuts, businesses perhaps might put their votes to libs?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:48am

juliar wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 8:35am:
Gecko,

your reputation precedes you everywhere you post.

Trashing your credibility again ? The paw soal must have a masochistic streak or something. But then some Lefties are downrite weird. Might be because they are Globally Warmed.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:04am

The gecko can't help himself from trashing his credibility. But then some Lefties are downright strange and masochistic.

Is it any surprise that his reputation precedes him everywhere he posts.

But now the old gecko is off and running and will keep posting trash till the cows come home.

IP Logged

thecuriousmail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Brisbane
Reply #9 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 4:12pm

juliar wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:04am:
The gecko can't help himself from trashing his credibility. But then some Lefties are downright strange and masochistic.

Is it any surprise that his reputation precedes him everywhere he posts.

But now the old gecko is off and running and will keep posting trash till the cows come home.

Argumentum ad Hominem Fallacy: (abusive and circumstantial): the fallacy of attacking the character or circumstances of an individual who is advancing a statement or an argument instead of seeking to disprove the truth of the statement or the soundness of the argument. Often the fallacy is characterized simply as a personal attack.

Wit is ok (should you somehow come across this 'peculiar thing'). Rants are not.
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2017 at 4:38pm by thecuriousmail »  

thecuriousmail.wordpress.com
"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

IP Logged

stunspore
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 5:11pm

Juliar wants everything - no penaly rates so blame bill shorten, and yet when there is penalty rates blame union/bill.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 7:43pm

Quote:
Capricornia MP Michelle Landry has defended her support for the penalty rate cuts saying they could ultimately lead to increased job opportunities for the region.

"I fully support workers getting paid more on weekends and public holidays, but you have to get the balance right.

"As an independent umpire, the Fair Work Commission took more than 5000 submissions from both unions and employer representatives before making its decision.

"Everyone knows there is a trade-off between the level of penalty rates, and the availability of jobs on weekends.

"I've spoken to many employers across Rockhampton and Yeppoon who are unable to open on a Sunday. Now, they can. This decision creates more opportunities for jobs in our region.”

She said businesses in Capricornia were privately welcoming the changes, which will allow more work hours for more people.

It won't create jobs because there won't be more customers.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #12 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 8:17pm

Quote:

Is she really this stupid ????

Nobody could be dumb enough to believe this rubbish ????

Not one extra business will be able to open and not one extra person will be employed - not one.

A 10 year old looking at the numbers would understand that this is true.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #13 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 8:23pm

juliar wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 7:40am:
The old ultra Lefty BlackDay is STILL pumping the GetUp! propaganda over Shorty's lies and hypocrisy over the penalty rates fiasco.

It was the decision of the Fair Works who were setup by Shorten who carefully plugged his Lefty Plants there who let him down.

Malcolm had NOTHING to do with the penalty rates decision by Fair Work and it would be an abuse of the Fair Work's independence if he interfered.

Any business that so wishes and can afford it like JB HiFi can give their good staff a bonus by NOT cutting the penalty rates.

As is carefully ignored by the ultra Lefty BlackDay, MacDonalds and others on enterprise agreements have ALREADY cut penalty rates.

The more sustainable penalty rates decision means that more businesses with a not so good financial position can open on weekends and employ staff.

If BlackDay is not a member of GetUp! pumping preposterous propaganda I'll be a monkey's uncle!!!!

Quote:

You bought and now try to sell this lie. No extra business can open and not one additional employee will get a job. The numbers just do not support it and it is a ridiculous claim only made by the dishonest and fools, sometimes maybe even often both.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #14 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 8:25pm

juliar wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 7:40am:

Quote:

Malcome and the Liberals have their grubby fingerprints all over it, They tried to stand far enough away to claim plausible deniability and failed.

The Liberals support the cuts, they were in fact behind the push.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print