Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Pressuring Australians To Work Until 70 (Read 3856 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Pressuring Australians To Work Until 70
Jul 21st, 2017 at 6:49am

The dark side of pressuring Australians to work until 70

July 20 2017
The New Daily
A new report has challenged the wisdom of pressuring all Australians to work longer before they retire.

The Per Capita think tank warned on Tuesday that the policy risks hurting older workers who physically cannot work, or cannot find jobs, in later life.   Sad

“The push to extend working lives has the potential to stigmatise those who retire from the paid workforce as no longer pulling their weight in a society where being retired is increasingly viewed as a kind of unemployment,” the authors, Philip Taylor and Warwick Smith, wrote.

“What happens if governments remove one of the moral foundations of the welfare state – retirement – without there being a realistic alternative?”

The Turnbull government sparked outrage last month by confirming it plans to push the pension age to 70 by 2035 in order to reduce welfare spending, the biggest area of federal expenditure.   Sad

The current eligibility age is 65.5 years, which is legislated to gradually rise to 67 years by 2023.

That announcement followed a warning from the World Economic Forum that Australia would be forced to push its retirement age to 70 by the middle of the century to avoid a retirement funding crisis.

The Per Capita report cautioned against assumptions that working longer is achievable, beneficial and desirable for everyone.

“Simplistic arguments for the ‘right to work’ may make older people’s advocacy the unwitting bedfellow of a strong policy push to extend working lives in order to reduce welfare costs.”

Australians are being asked to work longer without a clear sense of whether this is a realistic expectation, the authors wrote.   Sad

“The availability and quality of paid work and how those not in work will build and maintain a sense of identity are issues of importance for ageing in Australia that have received little consideration.”

As The New Daily has reported, there are certain occupation groups – such as construction workers – for whom longer careers are physically impossible.   Sad

The Per Capita report also made this point: “The potential dignity of retirement for those in certain occupational groups for whom paid work is a near impossibility is also being overlooked by many advocates and policy makers.”

It urged “more realistic” expectations of the contribution that older Australians can make to the workforce, in the hope that the public debate would change “from one that is primarily grounded in notions of generational conflict to one that is based on the value of promoting generational solidarity”.

The criticism of the current stance on working longer was just one section of the wide-ranging Per Capita report on workforce ageing.

It also tackled ageism, discrimination, harmful stereotypes, worsening casualisation and the rise of automation.

The report recommended many changes, including the introduction of a job guarantee that rewards the participation of long-term unemployed workers in unpaid work; and grants for workers over the age of 55 who want to start a small business.

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Re: Pressuring Australians To Work Until 70
Reply #1 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 6:58am

Arthur Caboolture, Queensland
People aged 50 to 70 will be expected to bounce all over town looking for 30 non-existent jobs a week until their 70th birthdays. Centerlink will crucify them for missing appointments, which will happen when you're middle-eged to elderly and stressed to buggery by all this and need to see your doctor frequently and are unable to get bulk-billed. They'll lose their benefits at the drop of a hat and have to sell their homes and downsize to caravan parks, which will become a real growth industry. Watch the suicide rate in that age bracket to go through the roof!
That's my vision for the future.
God help us!!!!!!!   Sad

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 7:52am

GetUp! for ever trying to TAKE Australia back to the STONE AGE!!!!!

IP Logged

stunspore
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:47am

juliar wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 7:52am:

Impossible.  We are already there thanks to Tony Abbott and now, Malcolm Turnbull.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:18pm

whiteknight wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 6:58am:
People aged 50 to 70 will be expected to bounce all over town looking for 30 non-existent jobs a week until their 70th birthdays. Centerlink will crucify them for missing appointments, which will happen when you're middle-eged to elderly and stressed to buggery by all this and need to see your doctor frequently and are unable to get bulk-billed. They'll lose their benefits at the drop of a hat and have to sell their homes and downsize to caravan parks, which will become a real growth industry. Watch the suicide rate in that age bracket to go through the roof!
God help us!!!!!!!   Sad

That's what they want. They want you to sell your house to a chinaman or one of these parasitic investors Sad

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:54pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:18pm:
God help us!!!!!!!   Sad

That's what they want. They want you to sell your house to a chinaman or one of these parasitic investors Sad

It's a scandal -
we paid for others to get the pension from heavy taxes
but we won't get it ourselves.

It's the ultimate theft.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #6 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 1:10pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:54pm:
God help us!!!!!!!   Sad

It's a scandal -

It's the ultimate theft.

Bobby, you have a welfare entitlement mentality. Why don't you expect to be financially self-sufficient at age 60+?

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 1:41pm

Unforgiven wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 1:10pm:
God help us!!!!!!!   Sad

It's a scandal -

It's the ultimate theft.

Bobby, you have a welfare entitlement mentality. Why don't you expect to be financially self-sufficient at age 60+?

Yeh and rely on some super scammer to lose all of your savings every time there is share market melt down !! I think we all deserve better than that !

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #8 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 1:49pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 1:41pm:
God help us!!!!!!!   Sad

It's a scandal -

It's the ultimate theft.

Yeh and rely on some super scammer to lose all of your savings every time there is share market melt down !! I think we all deserve better than that !

You are one of life's little failures aren't you?

Only you could fail as miserably as you have during one of Australia's most prosperous times, you sad fkk.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #9 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 2:00pm

whiteknight wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 6:49am:
The dark side of pressuring Australians to work until 70

Wait - there's a bright side to it?  Where?

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #10 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 2:27pm

God help us!!!!!!!   Sad

It's a scandal -

It's the ultimate theft.

I don't have enough super & I have more than most people.

My financial advisor said I'd need $600 K &
I have no where near that.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 3:29pm

BigOl64 wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 1:49pm:
God help us!!!!!!!   Sad

It's a scandal -

It's the ultimate theft.

Only you could fail as miserably as you have during one of Australia's most prosperous times, you sad fkk.

you're on the gyro aren't you. what are you talking about f.ckface ?

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 3:30pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 2:27pm:
God help us!!!!!!!   Sad

It's a scandal -

It's the ultimate theft.

don't worry bobby. jobsungroth and minimum wages will help you reach that goal if you can live for another 200 years Cheesy LOL

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #13 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 4:50pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 3:30pm:
God help us!!!!!!!   Sad

It's a scandal -

It's the ultimate theft.

don't worry bobby. jobsungroth and minimum wages will help you reach that goal if you can live for another 200 years Cheesy LOL

What jobs - they are all rubbish.

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #14 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 5:54pm

juliar wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 7:52am:

Juliar knows nothing  Cheesy

......Australia has an illegitimate Government!

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #15 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 5:58pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 3:29pm:
God help us!!!!!!!   Sad

It's a scandal -

It's the ultimate theft.

you're on the gyro aren't you. what are you talking about f.ckface ?

Big Ol is obviously pointing out he has the protocols to shoot firearms through the interwebs  Grin

It's been his running joke for decades: go pretend trolls because, obviously, trolls are imaginary!

Hey, we should all catch up at the traino and drop artane and drink metho  Cheesy

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #16 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 6:00pm

...and what the bugger is 'the gyro?'

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #17 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:44pm

TheFunPolice wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 6:00pm:

The gyro is a pommy word for the dole.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #18 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:49pm

I never want to stop working. I love my work Smiley

IBI

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #19 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 7:51am

Gordon wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:49pm:

I like it when I have something interesting to do.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #20 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 8:48am

Bobby. wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:44pm:

Here is me thinking that in the greatest time to make decent money that fkkwit nails is still a povo loser, and it turns out he is a whinging pommie.  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

tickleandrose
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 9:54am

It really depends on what you do.  I can imagine an accountant, doctor, or a lawyer working to 70s.  But I cant see a policeman, fireman working to 70s.   In the ADF, people have to retire by 60, and usually by then, many people are broken.  Working to 70s, its crazy!  And seriously, are we asking a 65 year old, with history of heart disease, lung problem, going to 30 different job interviews a week, when he have to attend like 5 different doctor's appointment.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #22 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 10:07am

BigOl64 wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 8:48am:

Here is me thinking that in the greatest time to make decent money that fkkwit nails is still a povo loser, and it turns out he is a whinging pommie.  Grin Grin Grin

It's actually a word he picked up from Pommy TV shows.
You're wrong again but forgiven.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #23 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 10:11am

Bobby. wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 10:07am:
BigOl64 wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 8:48am:

It's actually a word he picked up from Pommy TV shows.
You're wrong again but forgiven.

I suppose you would pick up a few foreign words here and there if you spend all day lying on the couch watching TV and realising the absolute uselessness of your existence.

No need to forgive  Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #24 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 10:11am

Crane operator Alan Blevin unimpressed by expectation he will work until he is 70

Sydney Morning Herald
May 2 2014

Imagine a construction site filled with 70-year-old workers.

For crane operator Alan Blevin, the federal government’s announcement it will raise the retirement age could make this vision a reality.   Sad

On Friday, Treasurer Joe Hockey revealed Australians born after 1965 will have to continue working until they are 70 before they can access the age pension.

That means Mr Blevin, who is now 47, will be one of millions of people forced to stay on the job for more than 20 years before he is eligible for the pension.

"It’s unthinkable," he says. "There is no chance I will be able to work until I am 70.

"My left knee is already giving in because I’m bending down, loading gear from trucks and guiding cranes all day. But I can’t afford to just stop. I have to keep paying the rent and bills.’’

The rise to 70 by 2035, which is quicker than recommended by the National Commission of Audit, will be particularly tough for people in manual jobs, says Mr Blevin, who lives in Sans Souci and works 60 hours a week on a Zetland building project for Becton.

"When you are driving a crane it’s mentally exhausting, too. You can’t slack off because you could kill someone. You have to be sharp and alert. I know a few guys in their mid 50s now who are struggling now even though they are quite fit for their age."   Sad

After working as a bricklayer's labourer for more than 15 years, Mr Blevin retrained as a crane driver to ease the pressure on his back. Although he now earns about $2000 each week, his income is unpredictable.

"One minute you have a good run of work, the next you might not have work for months. You take what you can get and just put up with it.

"Ideally I’d like to cut back to 30 hours a week in the next 10 years. My wife is studying to be a psychologist so it might be possible once she is qualified. But you can’t predict the future."

With daughters about to have families of their own, Mr Blevin said he would like to retire by 65 so he can spend time with his grandchildren.

"I’m sure the politicians won’t be going until they are 70. It’s ridiculous. But at least I’d get a discounted bus pass to get to work.   Sad

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #25 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 10:18am

whiteknight wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 10:11am:
Crane operator Alan Blevin unimpressed by expectation he will work until he is 70

Sydney Morning Herald
May 2 2014

Imagine a construction site filled with 70-year-old workers.

For crane operator Alan Blevin, the federal government’s announcement it will raise the retirement age could make this vision a reality.   Sad

(

You have to ask, is this person an impossible retarded human or a fkken union stooge whose job it is to deliberately spread lies and misinformation? A little from column A and a little from column B.

First up thanks to his union he will have a very impressive super which he can legally access at 60, yes 60. What he can't do is receive a taxpayer funded pension, which due to his massive Superfund he probably wouldn't get anyway.

For FKK Sake people do your own fkken research.  Angry Angry Angry Angry

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #26 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 10:38am

God help us!!!!!!!   Sad

It's a scandal -

It's the ultimate theft.

How many people here have over $600K in super?

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #27 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 10:41am

Bobby. wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 10:38am:
God help us!!!!!!!   Sad

It's a scandal -

It's the ultimate theft.

Now no, at retirement, absolutely

It's called planning, genius

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #28 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 10:41am

God help us!!!!!!!   Sad

It's a scandal -

It's the ultimate theft.

Bobby is correct. Spending a life time paying high tax rates with a long term known goal at the end was reasonable. Whoops the goal posts are moving right at the end when it is too late to do anything about it.

We have always been happy to pay for the pensions before us and now it is deemed more important to pay for the unafordable Howard tax cuts to wealthy Australians.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #29 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 10:53am

Dnarever wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 10:41am:
God help us!!!!!!!   Sad

It's a scandal -

It's the ultimate theft.

Bobby is correct. Spending a life time paying high tax rates with a long term known goal at the end was reasonable. Whoops the goal posts are moving right at the end when it is too late to do anything about it.

We have always been happy to pay for the pensions before us and now it is deemed more important to pay for the unafordable Howard tax cuts to wealthy Australians.

That'll teach you to have a welfare mentality won't it?

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #30 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 11:03am

God help us!!!!!!!   Sad

It's a scandal -

It's the ultimate theft.

How much did you lose in the crash ?

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #31 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 11:05am

Most likely it will not be your decision.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #32 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 11:10am

God help us!!!!!!!   Sad

It's a scandal -

It's the ultimate theft.

I do but you realise that if you have over $800K you don't get the pension anyway ?

You can do ok under $600K with a part pension.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #33 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 11:16am

Dnarever wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 11:03am:
God help us!!!!!!!   Sad

It's a scandal -

It's the ultimate theft.

The one that happened 9 years ago?

A hundred K or so, but I have made it back and then some, it is what happens with invested money, you do know that don't you?

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #34 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 11:21am

Dnarever wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 10:41am:
God help us!!!!!!!   Sad

It's a scandal -

It's the ultimate theft.

Thanks you -

After a lifetime of being taken by friends an enemies alike & then just
when you feel you have your possessions sure -
your health begins to fade -
it's the ultimate theft.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #35 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 11:22am

Dnarever wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 11:10am:
God help us!!!!!!!   Sad

It's a scandal -

It's the ultimate theft.

I do but you realise that if you have over $800K you don't get the pension anyway ?

hello - if you need to retire at 60 you'll have to survive on
say 100K or 200k of super - it will soon run out before you reach 70.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #36 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 11:28am

BigOl64 wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 11:16am:
God help us!!!!!!!   Sad

It's a scandal -

It's the ultimate theft.

A hundred K or so, but I have made it back and then some, it is what happens with invested money, you do know that don't you?

OK so you had a small investment and didn't lose much, Mine took about 3 to 4 years to get back.

The point made by Nail is valid, we do need to cross our fingers with market investment dependant savings it can go very badly and there are unscrupulous players it is largely unregulated and because money is rorted over such a long period of time it is difficult to catch.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #37 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 11:33am

Dnarever wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 11:28am:
BigOl64 wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 11:16am:
God help us!!!!!!!   Sad

It's a scandal -

It's the ultimate theft.

OK so you had a small investment and didn't lose much, Mine took about 3 to 4 years to get back.

The point made by Nail is valid, we do need to cross our fingers with market investment dependant savings it can go very badly and there are unscrupulous players it is largely unregulated and because money is rorted over such a long period of time it is difficult to catch.

Losing a $100k is no small loss for anyone, but I did make it back in about the same time as you. It was not unscrupulous super investor, it was just the arse fell out of everything. I did not cry like a little nails bitch, just kept on going just like I was supposed to,

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #38 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 11:38am

Quote:
The Per Capita report cautioned against assumptions that working longer is achievable, beneficial and desirable for everyone.

Australians are being asked to work longer without a clear sense of whether this is a realistic expectation

“The availability and quality of paid work and how those not in work will build and maintain a sense of identity are issues of importance for ageing in Australia that have received little consideration.”

As The New Daily has reported, there are certain occupation groups – such as construction workers – for whom longer careers are physically impossible

“The potential dignity of retirement for those in certain occupational groups for whom paid work is a near impossibility is also being overlooked by many advocates and policy makers.”

The article and a number of posters seem to make the false assumption that the Government do not understand where the truth is more that they don't give a rats ....

This isn't about retirement age it is about when they have to start paying for it.

It isn't that they do not understand that manual workers can not work till 70 it is that they don't give a damn about workers, that's their problem.

They don't seem to get that "assumptions that working longer is achievable" is irrelevant, they don't care if it is or not as long as they don't have to pay for it.

Much better to give huge tax cuts to big business.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #39 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 11:47am

BigOl64 wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 11:33am:

Losing a $100k is no small loss for anyone, but I did make it back in about the same time as you. It was not unscrupulous super investor, it was just the arse fell out of everything. I did not cry like a little nails bitch, just kept on going just like I was supposed to,

It looks small from my perspective having lost many multiples of that. Neither of ours were due to unscrupulous or incompetent investors. I doubt that Nail was specifically pointing at you or me when he made his comment. There are poor performing players in the market and there are rip offs.

However the nature of the market is risk and one day it may not work out. Remember as well that these down turns don't stop when you retire.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #40 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 11:51am

Dnarever wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 11:47am:

It looks small from my perspective having lost many multiples of that. Neither of ours were due to unscrupulous or incompetent investors. I doubt that Nail was specifically pointing at you or me when he made his comment. There are poor performing players in the market and there are rip offs.

However the nature of the market is risk and one day it may not work out. Remember as well that these down turns don't stop when you retire.

Yeah a mate of mine dropped an absolute bundle, but as you do, sucked it up and made most of it back. It happens in the big numbers too.  Smiley

It is about risk, the higher the risk, the higher the loss / reward.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #41 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 11:53am

Bobby. wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 11:22am:
God help us!!!!!!!   Sad

It's a scandal -

It's the ultimate theft.

Unfortunately as you likely know retirement in those terms is not viable, you would have to claim unemployment benefit and look to subsidise that from your super that I think you can draw a proportion after 60.

If you found yourself in that position some professional advice would come in handy but it may not be as bleak as you may think.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #42 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 1:50pm

Dnarever wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 11:53am:
Bobby. wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 11:22am:
God help us!!!!!!!   Sad

It's a scandal -

It's the ultimate theft.

Unfortunately as you likely know retirement in those terms is not viable, you would have to claim unemployment benefit and look to subsidise that from your super that I think you can draw a proportion after 60.

If you found yourself in that position some professional advice would come in handy but it may not be as bleak as you may think.

Try to survive for 10 years on say $200K when you still have a mortgage to pay.
When you're over 60 -  no one will give you a job.
Centerlink will make you jump through hoops to
get a lousy $242 per week.

It's very bleak indeed for so many hard working Australians over 60.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #43 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 2:10pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 7:51am:

I reckon using a theodolite would be interesting.

IBI

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #44 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 2:12pm

Gordon wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 2:10pm:

I like fixing things - mechanical, electrical & electronic.
I like sharpening: tools, knives & scissors -
anything to keep me busy.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #45 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 2:29pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 2:12pm:

Are you a handyman? Do you have a Hire a Hubby franchise?

IBI

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #46 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 2:31pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 1:50pm:

Yes: hit the nail on the head - It's very bleak indeed for so many hard working Australians over 60.

Very many have had the Rug pulled out from under them just when they thought it would be ok, not great just ok.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #47 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 2:34pm

Gordon wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 2:29pm:

Yes to first question -

No to 2nd question.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #48 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 2:36pm

Dnarever wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 2:31pm:
Bobby. wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 1:50pm:

Yes: hit the nail on the head - It's very bleak indeed for so many hard working Australians over 60.

Very many have had the Rug pulled out from under them just when they thought it would be ok, not great just ok.

The Govt. should offer assisted suicide for those over 60
who can't stand poverty anymore.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #49 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 2:36pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 2:34pm:

No.

Good move. I reckon naming your business Hire a Hubby would dissuade many male customers.

IBI

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #50 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 2:37pm

Gordon wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 2:36pm:

No.

Good move. I reckon naming your business Hire a Hubby would dissuade many male customers.

Hire a Hubby give rip off prices in their quotes for things such as painting a room.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #51 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 2:38pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 2:37pm:

No.

Hire a Hubby give rip off prices in their quotes for things such as painting a room.

Have you hired a hubby?

IBI

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #52 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 2:43pm

Gordon wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 2:38pm:

No.

Have you hired a hubby?

No - I got a quote once from HAH to paint & fix my place before I sold it.
I got a 2nd quote for 1/3 rd the price from some proper tradespeople..

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #53 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 2:45pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 2:43pm:
Gordon wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 2:38pm:

No.

Have you hired a hubby?

No - I got a quote once from HAH to paint & fix my place before I sold it.
I got a 2nd quote for 1/3 rd the price from some proper tradespeople..

That's because the HAH guy has to give 1/3 rd of the money to head office.
SMH at people who guy a franchise.

What happens if a woman wants to buy a HAH franchise?

IBI

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #54 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 2:48pm

Gordon wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 2:45pm:

1/3 rd of the money - you're joking?

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #55 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 2:58pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 2:48pm:

Maybe not 1/3 rd, but my wife's done tax returns for franchise holders that that have to kick about 25% back to the owners.

It's like working for the mafia.

IBI

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #56 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 3:02pm

Gordon wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 2:58pm:

Maybe not 1/3 rd, but my wife's done tax returns for franchise holders that that have to kick about 25% back to the owners.

No wonder their quotes are excessive.

What a rip-off.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #57 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 3:12pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 3:02pm:

What a rip-off.

Perhaps HAH provides a bonus service you did not enquire about?

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #58 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 3:46pm

Unforgiven wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 3:12pm:

What a rip-off.

What service would that be Dr Caligari?

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #59 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 3:52pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 3:46pm:
Unforgiven wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 3:12pm:

What a rip-off.

What service would that be Dr Caligari?

Dalliance.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #60 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 5:04pm

The problem with most of these so called "fund managers" or financial advisors is the lack of risk management which leave your heard earned money exposed to market falls and collapses. They are prolific during a bull market but as soon as the markets turn south they go and crawl under a rock not to be seen for years until the markets come back up again and fickle investors with short memories are willing to forget their gross incompetence. Kind of like crabs that come in with the tied, dry up in the sun and get swept back out with the tide !!

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #61 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 5:58pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 5:04pm:

The problem with most of these so called "fund managers" or financial advisors is the lack of risk management which leave your heard earned money exposed to market falls and collapses. They are prolific during a bull market but as soon as the markets turn south they go and crawl under a rock not to be seen for years until the markets come back up again and fickle investors with short memories are willing to forget their gross incompetence. Kind of like crabs that come in with the tied, dry up in the sun and get swept back out with the tide !!

My retirement is all planned.
Even though I have too much to be eligable for a part pension, I plan to retire 5-7 years earlier than the pension age.
Living on a comfortable income without grubberment aid for those first 7 years will bring my super balance down to below the threshold  (with a little fiddling and inventive accounting) they can only go back 5 years on any gifting and such.

This means I will get my retirement income early, get part pension and have some cash on the side.

The grubberment is too stooopid to stop me.
Everything will be legal and above board.
Simply because tge grubberment had to leave loopholes for themselves.

I plan to have my cake and eat it too.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #62 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 6:43pm

Valkie wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 5:58pm:
Even though I have too much to be eligable for a part pension, I plan to retire 5-7 years earlier than the pension age.
Living on a comfortable income without grubberment aid for those first 7 years will bring my super balance down to below the threshold  (with a little fiddling and inventive accounting) they can only go back 5 years on any gifting and such.

This means I will get my retirement income early, get part pension and have some cash on the side.

Well - bully for you.

What about the 95% of hard working people who
will be left destitute & unable to work after the age of 60?

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #63 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 6:48pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 6:43pm:

Well - bully for you.

Why don't you retire to Thailand or Bali?

Your money will go much further there.

IBI

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #64 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 6:55pm

Gordon wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 6:48pm:

Well - bully for you.

I am still hoping to work in my job & be one of the lucky ones who makes it alive till 70.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #65 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 9:04pm

Well - bully for you.

Yes great idea but haven't you heard. There is already talking of cutting off pensions for those living abroad. They want you to live in squalor here and fuel their fake economy with your pension moneys Sad

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #66 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 10:15pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 9:04pm:

Well - bully for you.

Yes great idea but haven't you heard. There is already talking of cutting off pensions for those living abroad. They want you to live in squalor here and fuel their fake economy with your pension moneys Sad

I heard about it sir Nail.
If you can't afford to live in the big city they
won't let you go overseas to spend your pension.
They will force you to die to poverty in Australia.
It's a crime against humanity.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #67 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 10:20pm

If you own a house you could rent it out and live quite well just from the rental in Asia. Guess that lets you out then Lostnail.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #68 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 6:55am

rhino wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 10:20pm:
If you own a house you could rent it out and live quite well just from the rental in Asia. Guess that lets you out then sir Nail.

Yes - that is a good option.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #69 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 9:21am

What we, as the Australian voting public, need to do is force the grubberment to put tge same requirements onto themselves as they have forced on us.

If we must wait until 70,
So must ALL public servants and politicians.......no exceptions.

If we must meet draconian assett test rules,
So must ALL public servants...........no exceptions.

If we muse suffer the stupidity of the system,
So must ALL public servants.

Just because they make the rules, does not mean that they can abuse them.

We must have a class action to force these parasites to abide by the same rules and regulation that they have imposed upon us.

The sad truth however, and this is one of the only smart things the grubberment has everv done.
Is to link judges retirement benifits to the same system that politicians enjoy.
They know that the parasite judges would never cut off their own income, no matter how unjust it may be.

Judges, politicians, senior public servants, parasitesvall.
Never do anything worthwhile, just suck the ststem dry.

A POX ON THEM ALLL

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #70 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 9:23am

Valkie wrote on Jul 23rd, 2017 at 9:21am:
What we, as the Australian voting public, need to do is force the grubberment to put tge same requirements onto themselves as they have forced on us.

We must have a class action to force these parasites to abide by the same rules and regulation that they have imposed upon us.

The sad truth however, and this is one of the only smart things the grubberment has everv done.
Is to link judges retirement benifits to the same system that politicians enjoy.
They know that the parasite judges would never cut off their own income, no matter how unjust it may be.

A POX ON THEM ALLL

Is it time for a French revolution? -

let them eat cake  was enough then.

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #71 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 9:33am

A POX ON THEM ALLL

X2

They shouldn't be above the law............ Cool

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #72 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 10:18am

A POX ON THEM ALLL

What are your thoughts on the retirement payments for retired politicians?
Bill O'Chee and Natasha Stott Despoja retired in their early 30s and are on an indexed pension for life, possible 60 years.

Many are retiring in their mid 50s on $200k

IBI

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #73 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 10:22am

Gordon wrote on Jul 23rd, 2017 at 10:18am:

A POX ON THEM ALLL

Bill O'Chee and Natasha Stott Despoja retired in their early 30s and are on an indexed pension for life, possible 60 years.

Where's the assets for these leaches......?!?!

And every other law we are subjected to.

More than half are already wealthy and wouldn't get the pension if they didn't get into parliament.

Last time I looked and it was quite some time ago I think back in the 1990's the political system was costing $60 billion per annum back then.

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #74 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 10:38am

If you own a house you could rent it out and live quite well just from the rental in Asia. Guess that lets you out then Lostnail.

yeh just keep flogging off the housing stock to the chinese and see how far you get in your one off fire sale. Don't hold your breath on the chinese giving your kids a job and a future. They are keeping all of the good jobs for themselves and taking what's left of what we got. IDIOTS !!

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #75 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 10:41am

Gordon wrote on Jul 23rd, 2017 at 10:18am:

A POX ON THEM ALLL

Why don't they get a job and work till they are 70 like they expect the rest of to do ? Maybe because most of them are unemployable which is the reason why they are in politics in the first place.

IP Logged

Secret Wars
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #76 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 11:02am

Sir lastnail wrote on Jul 23rd, 2017 at 10:38am:

yeh just keep flogging off the housing stock to the chinese and see how far you get in your one off fire sale. Don't hold your breath on the chinese giving your kids a job and a future. They are keeping all of the good jobs for themselves and taking what's left of what we got. IDIOTS !!

Wouldn't the IDIOTS !! be those who rent and have made no provision for their future, always at the mercy of landlords.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #77 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 11:46am

Secret Wars wrote on Jul 23rd, 2017 at 11:02am:

Wouldn't the IDIOTS !! be those who rent and have made no provision for their future, always at the mercy of landlords. 

Many people are never in a position to buy a home or run into other circumstances to leave them in financial strain through no fault of their own.

Relationships do break down with devastating results and people do find themselves suddenly unemployed over 50 with little chance of gaining higher paid employment if any at all.
Many people who look down their noses at some a little less fortunate are in a better position purely through luck.

IP Logged

minarchist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #78 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 2:07pm

At the turn of the 20th century, the average life expectancy was about 50 years. Few people retired and would only do so unless they were physically unable to. After WW2, most retirees lived for about 5 - 15 years, while pensions consumed about 7% of government revenue.

We now live during a time where most elderly people will live well beyond 80 years. I'm a part of Gen Y. By the time I retire, medical advances will probably allow me to live to 100 and beyond and still be in relatively good physical shape. It is unreasonable to expect governments in the future to fund retirees for 30+ years without massive increases to taxes. Personally, I can't see myself retiring before 80 if I'm just going to spend my retired days watching Netflix and playing antique video games.

Meanwhile, the retiree population is expected to exceed the working population. Given that automation will reduce the need for manual labor, it would be reasonable if governments shifted from Income Tax as their main source of revenue towards Sales Taxes.

How society will cope when we're practically immortal is beyond me. I'd imagine that there won't be such a thing as retirement, instead people will take gap years until such time that their funds run low, after which they'll return to work. That's unless we all become Technocrats, in which case it won't matter. However, you'd now have to deal with increases in mental illness from people being bored after they get sick of a perpetual Saturnalia.

People accuse Capitalism of being a "dog eat dog" system, yet it was the Communists who ate each other when they were starving!

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #79 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 2:53pm

minarchist wrote on Jul 24th, 2017 at 2:07pm:
At the turn of the 20th century, the average life expectancy was about 50 years. Few people retired and would only do so unless they were physically unable to. After WW2, most retirees lived for about 5 - 15 years, while pensions consumed about 7% of government revenue.

We now live during a time where most elderly people will live well beyond 80 years. I'm a part of Gen Y. By the time I retire, medical advances will probably allow me to live to 100 and beyond and still be in relatively good physical shape. It is unreasonable to expect governments in the future to fund retirees for 30+ years without massive increases to taxes. Personally, I can't see myself retiring before 80 if I'm just going to spend my retired days watching Netflix and playing antique video games.

Meanwhile, the retiree population is expected to exceed the working population. Given that automation will reduce the need for manual labor, it would be reasonable if governments shifted from Income Tax as their main source of revenue towards Sales Taxes.

How society will cope when we're practically immortal is beyond me. I'd imagine that there won't be such a thing as retirement, instead people will take gap years until such time that their funds run low, after which they'll return to work. That's unless we all become Technocrats, in which case it won't matter. However, you'd now have to deal with increases in mental illness from people being bored after they get sick of a perpetual Saturnalia.

they'll return to work

what work?

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #80 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 10:58am

I said rent, not sell you dufus.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print