Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Pressuring Australians To Work Until 70 (Read 3897 times)
Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Pressuring Australians To Work Until 70
Reply #75 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 10:41am

Gordon wrote on Jul 23rd, 2017 at 10:18am:
Valkie wrote on Jul 23rd, 2017 at 9:21am:
What we, as the Australian voting public, need to do is force the grubberment to put tge same requirements onto themselves as they have forced on us.

If we must wait until 70,
So must ALL public servants and politicians.......no exceptions.

If we must meet draconian assett test rules,
So must ALL public servants...........no exceptions.

If we muse suffer the stupidity of the system,
So must ALL public servants.

Just because they make the rules, does not mean that they can abuse them.

We must have a class action to force these parasites to abide by the same rules and regulation that they have imposed upon us.

The sad truth however, and this is one of the only smart things the grubberment has everv done.
Is to link judges retirement benifits to the same system that politicians enjoy.
They know that the parasite judges would never cut off their own income, no matter how unjust it may be.

Judges, politicians, senior public servants, parasitesvall.
Never do anything worthwhile, just suck the ststem dry.

A POX ON THEM ALLL

What are your thoughts on the retirement payments for retired politicians?
Bill O'Chee and Natasha Stott Despoja retired in their early 30s and are on an indexed pension for life, possible 60 years.

Many are retiring in their mid 50s on $200k

Why don't they get a job and work till they are 70 like they expect the rest of to do ? Maybe because most of them are unemployable which is the reason why they are in politics in the first place.

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Secret Wars
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #76 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 11:02am

Sir lastnail wrote on Jul 23rd, 2017 at 10:38am:
rhino wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 10:20pm:
If you own a house you could rent it out and live quite well just from the rental in Asia. Guess that lets you out then Lostnail.

yeh just keep flogging off the housing stock to the chinese and see how far you get in your one off fire sale. Don't hold your breath on the chinese giving your kids a job and a future. They are keeping all of the good jobs for themselves and taking what's left of what we got. IDIOTS !!

Wouldn't the IDIOTS !! be those who rent and have made no provision for their future, always at the mercy of landlords.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #77 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 11:46am

Secret Wars wrote on Jul 23rd, 2017 at 11:02am:
If you own a house you could rent it out and live quite well just from the rental in Asia. Guess that lets you out then Lostnail.

yeh just keep flogging off the housing stock to the chinese and see how far you get in your one off fire sale. Don't hold your breath on the chinese giving your kids a job and a future. They are keeping all of the good jobs for themselves and taking what's left of what we got. IDIOTS !!

Wouldn't the IDIOTS !! be those who rent and have made no provision for their future, always at the mercy of landlords. 

Many people are never in a position to buy a home or run into other circumstances to leave them in financial strain through no fault of their own.

Relationships do break down with devastating results and people do find themselves suddenly unemployed over 50 with little chance of gaining higher paid employment if any at all.
Many people who look down their noses at some a little less fortunate are in a better position purely through luck.

IP Logged

minarchist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #78 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 2:07pm

At the turn of the 20th century, the average life expectancy was about 50 years. Few people retired and would only do so unless they were physically unable to. After WW2, most retirees lived for about 5 - 15 years, while pensions consumed about 7% of government revenue.

We now live during a time where most elderly people will live well beyond 80 years. I'm a part of Gen Y. By the time I retire, medical advances will probably allow me to live to 100 and beyond and still be in relatively good physical shape. It is unreasonable to expect governments in the future to fund retirees for 30+ years without massive increases to taxes. Personally, I can't see myself retiring before 80 if I'm just going to spend my retired days watching Netflix and playing antique video games.

Meanwhile, the retiree population is expected to exceed the working population. Given that automation will reduce the need for manual labor, it would be reasonable if governments shifted from Income Tax as their main source of revenue towards Sales Taxes.

How society will cope when we're practically immortal is beyond me. I'd imagine that there won't be such a thing as retirement, instead people will take gap years until such time that their funds run low, after which they'll return to work. That's unless we all become Technocrats, in which case it won't matter. However, you'd now have to deal with increases in mental illness from people being bored after they get sick of a perpetual Saturnalia.

People accuse Capitalism of being a "dog eat dog" system, yet it was the Communists who ate each other when they were starving!

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #79 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 2:53pm

minarchist wrote on Jul 24th, 2017 at 2:07pm:
At the turn of the 20th century, the average life expectancy was about 50 years. Few people retired and would only do so unless they were physically unable to. After WW2, most retirees lived for about 5 - 15 years, while pensions consumed about 7% of government revenue.

We now live during a time where most elderly people will live well beyond 80 years. I'm a part of Gen Y. By the time I retire, medical advances will probably allow me to live to 100 and beyond and still be in relatively good physical shape. It is unreasonable to expect governments in the future to fund retirees for 30+ years without massive increases to taxes. Personally, I can't see myself retiring before 80 if I'm just going to spend my retired days watching Netflix and playing antique video games.

Meanwhile, the retiree population is expected to exceed the working population. Given that automation will reduce the need for manual labor, it would be reasonable if governments shifted from Income Tax as their main source of revenue towards Sales Taxes.

How society will cope when we're practically immortal is beyond me. I'd imagine that there won't be such a thing as retirement, instead people will take gap years until such time that their funds run low, after which they'll return to work. That's unless we all become Technocrats, in which case it won't matter. However, you'd now have to deal with increases in mental illness from people being bored after they get sick of a perpetual Saturnalia.

they'll return to work

what work?

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #80 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 10:58am

I said rent, not sell you dufus.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print