Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Myths busted on the gender pay gap (Read 8788 times)
donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Myths busted on the gender pay gap
Jul 20th, 2017 at 7:02pm

https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2016/nov/08/dispelling-the-myths-why-the-gender-pay-gap-does-not-reflect-the-choices-women-make?

Quote:
According to the World Economic Forum, there is no country on earth where women make as much as men for the same work. In their 2016 Global Gender Gap Report, it is estimated that, at current rates, it would take another 170 years to close the global pay gap between men and women.

The pay data for Australia certainly isn’t bucking this trend. It doesn’t matter which way you look at it, there is consensus that the gender pay gap exists. Even though the overall gap in Australia has reduced slightly over the past two years, according to data from the ABS women still make 16.2% less than men.

Yet, somehow, talking about the pay gap can still be controversial.

Too often in my job, I am called on to counter arguments about the gender pay gap being a “myth”, or that “the gender pay gap figure isn’t real; it’s a manipulated, oversimplified figure that doesn’t represent real situations”.

Earlier this month the organisation I lead, Diversity Council Australia, released an important report together with KPMG and the Workplace Gender Equality Agency (WGEA). Called She’s Price(d)less – the economics of the gender pay gap, it presents a picture of the economics underlying the gender pay gap.

We asked KPMG to decompose the factors that make up the pay gap so that we could understand exactly why it persists and what we can do about it .

The resulting report counters the myths and provides the evidence that refutes a whole range of other “reasons” put forward about women earning less because they “choose” to work part-time or take time out of the workforce to care for family members.

And my hope is that, with this evidence in hand, we can have a rational conversation based on data, sound research and with the facts in mind.

So here goes.

Women are paid less because they ‘choose’ to work part-time
Our report showed that there has been a significant decrease in the impact of part-time employment on the gender pay gap. It has actually declined from 14% to 4%, in part because of an increase in higher-paid part-time roles for women. This is good news as it means that much of the hard work that has been done on improving flexible work options is starting to pay off.

The idea of “choice” becomes questionable, however, when one considers that overwhelmingly it is still women who take on the bulk of unpaid caring roles within families. There are a number of reasons for this (historical and social norms playing a significant part) but, given that men are paid more than women, for many families it just does not make financial sense for men to work part-time as it will result in a bigger cut to the family budget.

Women are paid less because they ‘choose’ lower-paying jobs
Our report showed that industrial and occupational segregation continue to be significant contributing factors to the gender pay gap. But while occupational segregation is decreasing (i.e. the different types of roles men and women do), the impact of industrial segregation (i.e. the different industries that men and women work in like mining or healthcare) has increased.

Women are not “choosing” to work in lower paying industries but, when large numbers of women start to work in an industry, they all get paid less. As Rhaina Cohen explained in an article in the Atlantic:

A study [by the sociologists Asaf Levanon, Paula England, and Paul Allison], which examined census data from 1950 to 2000, found that, when women enter an occupation in large numbers, that job begins to pay less, even after controlling for a range of factors like skill, race and geography. Their analysis found evidence of “devaluation” – that a higher proportion of women in an occupation leads to lower pay because of the discounting of work performed by women.

So, in other words: 50 years of data proved that the more women join an industry the less everyone gets paid.

If that’s not convincing enough, Cohen also pointed to a study showing that higher the percentage of women in an industry the lower its perceived “prestige”; and a study from 2007 that found that even where men’s low-wage jobs demand far less in terms of skill, education and certifications than women’s low-wage jobs, the male-dominated ones usually command higher hourly pay.

There is more that I suggest you read, but lets face, I know you aren't going to and instead are going to make stupid arguments that are already refuted in the article.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Myths busted on the gender pay gap
Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 7:06pm

Read, understood, agreed with and appreciated.

You know we will be called man haters now though, right?

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 7:20pm

mothra wrote on Jul 20th, 2017 at 7:06pm:

By the muppets on this forum? Its pretty difficult to be insulted by people who have consistently shown that they are nothing but wrong all the time.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #3 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 8:01pm

I busted those myths decades ago...... basically it's all lies...

NOBODY on a wage or salary level is paid less than the required amount for that work - to do so WAS illegal (before Joey and Tones got their hands on it following in the footsteps of Wee Johnnie Howard) - where there are differences it MAY be due to salary or promotion or different work under different conditions, or for any multitude of other factors.

I've acted in films - nobody offered me Tom Cruise type salary for the work..... not relevant since it is not an issue UNLESS I was paid less than Equity rates.  No woman is paid less than the required rate for her work.

I've posted for you times many that according to a census taken here - around 2005 - the exact difference in INCOME level (not wage level) corresponded exactly to the difference in the average hours  worked by women as compared to men.

You man haters will not be content until women hold all the highest paying easy jobs and men have nothing but ditch digging ... or until women are paid a premium on the assumption that they MIGHT take time off for family etc....

Utter nonsense....

Under our wages structure - you  are paid what you EARN - not what you necessarily think you are worth, and - 7/11 rorters aside - nobody is paid less than the required amount for the same job.
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2017 at 8:08pm by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 8:03pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jul 20th, 2017 at 8:01pm:

Oh really? Got a link?

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 8:04pm

donincognito wrote on Jul 20th, 2017 at 8:03pm:

Oh really? Got a link?

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 8:11pm

donincognito wrote on Jul 20th, 2017 at 7:20pm:
mothra wrote on Jul 20th, 2017 at 7:06pm:

By the muppets on this forum? Its pretty difficult to be insulted by people who have consistently shown that they are nothing but wrong all the time.

You got that right.... now understand it for true.....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 8:13pm

mothra wrote on Jul 20th, 2017 at 8:04pm:
donincognito wrote on Jul 20th, 2017 at 8:03pm:

Oh really? Got a link?

https://media.tenor.com/images/54451401d52c0dd2fe9ee5752857d53c/tenor.gif

No intention of linking you for the thousandth time.... you don't want to listen or hear or read.... so go find the facts for yourself - and not in some blurb put out by an organisation with an agenda to push.  We are not discussing Faroffistan here and wage differences there - YOU provide me with clear situations in Australia where women are being paid less for the same work and the same hours.

It Does Not Happen!  And you can't.

― John Adams

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 8:15pm

Grap, haven't you had your arse handed to you enough for one day?

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 8:23pm

Hasn't happened yet - still waiting... I'm watching football... I'll get back to you in the fullness of full time...

BTW - where is all that data on all those Muslim women etc, and on all those other aspects of 'Muslim Oppression' in Australia?

Not a peep out of you lot yet.....

Accept this gift of your arse....

― John Adams

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:00am

Whoops, sorry, I missed your edit.

Quote:
NOBODY on a wage or salary level is paid less than the required amount for that work - to do so WAS illegal (before Joey and Tones got their hands on it following in the footsteps of Wee Johnnie Howard)

Quote:
The pay gap figure is bogus because it does not reflect ‘like-for-like’ pay gaps for employees in the same or comparable roles
It must be said that while it is illegal to pay women less than men doing the same jobs, it is still happening. WGEA’s annual report shows that, even in their first year in the workforce, male graduates earn more than female graduates entering the same roles. Recent estimates from Australia suggest that for partners in top firms, the like-for-like gap is up to 5%.

Strike 1. I told you to read the article, but you didnt did you? No, of course you didnt.

Quote:
- where there are differences it MAY be due to salary or promotion or different work under different conditions, or for any multitude of other factors.

Quote:
Women don’t negotiate for better pay so it’s their fault if they’re paid less
Again, it’s not true to say women don’t ask for raises. They just don’t receive them at the same rate as men. And there is evidence that when women do negotiate, they are actually penalised.

A recent study from Cass Business School, the University of Warwick and the University of Wisconsin shows that women ask for wage rises just as often as men but men are 25% more likely to get a raise when they ask. The study collected data from 4,600 Australian workers across more than 800 employers and found no difference in the likelihood of asking between the two genders. The authors suggested that it might actually be “how” women ask, that a lack of assertiveness in negotiations is often cited as a potential reason why women might make less money than men for similar work.

As WGEA explains, negotiation is usually associated with agentic, and therefore masculine, behaviour. When employers negotiate with women, they tend to offer less and are more likely to resist influence attempts. Studies have shown that women’s reluctance to enter negotiations is partly because they are penalised more than men for doing so. The more women anticipate backlash, the less inclined they are to initiate negotiations.

In other words, women are asking for raises but, if they ask too assertively, they’re turned down for being too pushy, and if they don’t ask assertively enough, they aren’t good negotiators so they don’t get a raise.

I mean, cmon man its like you arent even trying. Or is this you trying? thats gotta be a bit depressing. Do you need someone to talk to? Lifeline can be a lot of help and beyond blue do a lot of good work in the area as well. Would you like me to get you a phone number?

Quote:
I've acted in films - nobody offered me Tom Cruise type salary for the work..... not relevant since it is not an issue UNLESS I was paid less than Equity rates.  No woman is paid less than the required rate for her work.

Oh im glad you brought up hollywood, because the gender pay gap is even worse there. Thanks for the nice segue.
Quote:
http://time.com/money/4207416/hollywood-wage-gap/
Lawrence is just the most visible example of the dismal state of pay equality in Tinseltown. A 2014 study published in the Journal of Management Inquiry entitled Age, Gender, and Compensation: A Study of Hollywood Movie Stars concluded that pay for female movie stars increases until they reach 34, then rapidly decreases (as does the number of roles for women of a certain age). For men, the peak earning year is 51, and there is no noticeable decline in wages after that. As Helaine Olen noted in Slate, that means "25-year-old Lawrence has nine years to go, while 40-year-old [Bradley] Cooper has 11."
A similar thing happens to the salaries of non-celebrity workers as well. Studies have shown that earnings peak for women between the ages of 34 and 39, while wages continue to rise steadily for men until around age 50.It's worth pausing here to note that many of the traditional justifications for the wage gap just don't hold up in Tinseltown. Actors and actresses fulfill the same job in the same time frame, using the same set of tools. You can't attribute the gap to differences in productivity, strength, or women being less skilled as performers (sorry, Aaron Sorkin).

Quote:
I've posted for you times many that according to a census taken here - around 2005 - the exact difference in INCOME level (not wage level) corresponded exactly to the difference in the average hours  worked by women as compared to men.

Jeez, fortunately we have data thats better than more than a decade old, and hey, what do you know, thats what they have used in these studies. Im willing to be the actual scientists who did these studies corrected for a lot more errors than what you did.

Quote:
Sex discrimination in the report accounts for everything that is left after all the other factors that have an impact on the gender pay gap, such as age, tenure, time out of the workforce, occupation, industry, part-time work and sector, have been taken into account. This means that more than a third of the gender pay gap is the result of gender discrimination and unconscious bias.

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:01am

so basically,

Quote:
There is more that I suggest you read, but lets face, I know you aren't going to and instead are going to make stupid arguments that are already refuted in the article.

I can predict the future. I should play lotto.

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:04am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jul 20th, 2017 at 8:13pm:
No intention of linking you for the thousandth time.... you don't want to listen or hear or read.... so go find the facts for yourself - and not in some blurb put out by an organisation with an agenda to push.  We are not discussing Faroffistan here and wage differences there - YOU provide me with clear situations in Australia where women are being paid less for the same work and the same hours.

It Does Not Happen!  And you can't.

There were links in the article to the exact thing you are looking for. This is why I suggested you should actually read the article, but no, you proved me correct in your stupid stupid arrogance of assuming you were correct, when yet again, you are wrong. Stop being wrong so much. Its sort of sad to see you flailing around.

But, just to help you out

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-22/gender-pay-gap-alive-and-thriving-in-australia/7775244
Quote:
Mr Liveris claims top accounting firms including PriceWaterHouse Coopers, EY and Deloitte are paying men and women differently for the same roles with pay gaps ranging from 1 to 5 per cent.

"Even at their highest level, at the partnership level, they were finding about a 5 per cent gender pay gap in a like-for-like basis," Mr Liveris said.

There.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:37am

Your usual inclination to label anyone else stupid, etc, shows you to be the cretin you are in reality.

I have posted times many a very solid refutation of the nonsense that makes up the 'gender wage gap' - and it is clear, from any rational review, that such a gap does not exist.

Now try another approach, sonny.

I'm not interested in twisted and distorted 'studies' by groups directly interested in arriving at the position they wish... I deal only with facts... and I've laid out those facts time and time again.

If you wish to disagree, save your puerile personal attacks, and replace them with facts.

Now - try looking at this 'study' you quote - and give me a full rendition of the actual figures, the actual laws in place HERE in Australia, and then tell me that women are being ripped off in their work.

If you have any argument - it is over AWE's - and NOT on any gender basis...  in case you missed (you obviously did) - there are currently MILLIONS of people doing it hard out there... who actually gives a damn about distorted and self-serving studies that continue to say, without solid foundation, that women as a group are being ripped off?

Then try showing me ONE clear example of where women doing exactly the same job in the same grade - outside of contracted work - are NOT being paid the proper level.

SHOW me - and save your personal attacks for someone who actually cares about your emotion-based nonsense.

If you cannot do that - save your personal cretinous vitriol for someone who might be influenced by it.. obviously I am not.

Better still - leave the field to those with a mind in their head....

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 7:43am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:37am:
Your usual inclination to label anyone else stupid, etc, shows you to be the cretin you are in reality.

I have posted times many a very solid refutation of the nonsense that makes up the 'gender wage gap' - and it is clear, from any rational review, that such a gap does not exist.

I'm not interested in twisted and distorted 'studies' by groups directly interested in arriving at the position they wish... I deal only with facts... and I've laid out those facts time and time again.

If you wish to disagree, save your puerile personal attacks, and replace them with facts.

Now - try looking at this 'study' you quote - and give me a full rendition of the actual figures, the actual laws in place HERE in Australia, and then tell me that women are being ripped off in their work.

If you have any argument - it is over AWE's - and NOT on any gender basis...  in case you missed (you obviously did) - there are currently MILLIONS of people doing it hard out there... who actually gives a damn about distorted and self-serving studies that continue to say, without solid foundation, that women as a group are being ripped off?

Then try showing me ONE clear example of where women doing exactly the same job in the same grade - outside of contracted work - are NOT being paid the proper level.

SHOW me - and save your personal attacks for someone who actually cares about your emotion-based nonsense.

If you cannot do that - save your personal cretinous vitriol for someone who might be influenced by it.. obviously I am not.

Best of luck with that Grap.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #15 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 8:07am

no woman can be truly fulfilled unless she is with a great man.
a great man goes out into the world and goes to war in business and gives his all and then, in order to recharge he needs to come home and have the adrenaline and cortisol dissipated from the day of brutal work and relentless effort.
only a feminine woman can perform this vital work
and by this polarity and synergy, no man can be truly fulfilled if he doesnt have a nurturing and feminine woman to come home and recharge him so that the next day he can go out and crush it for the both of them.

man on his own =  1
woman on her own = 1

man plus woman in relationship where they both try to be clones of each other and practice eqaulity 

1 + 1 = 2.

man plus woman in relationship where each fully commits to the roles i described and recognises the awesome power of the polarity of the sexes and the role requirements thereof

1 + 1 = 11.

you synergise and supercharge your awesomeness capabilities when men act as men and women act as women.

most women DO NOT want to win, they want to be with a winner  Wink

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #16 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 8:53am

Quote:
In their 2016 Global Gender Gap Report, it is estimated that, at current rates, it would take another 170 years to close the global pay gap between men and women.

Ahhh it's the GLOBAL pay gap now.  Cunning.

That means if a lady in Kuwait is a nurse for a Dinar a day, while her countryman gets a million dinars for doing nuffin, its on us to balance the global average.  Nothing is more important than averages.

Barring the establihsment of ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT, that enforces one pay rate for all us serfs - zero - they're always going to have something to complain about, and the grievance commissars futures are secured. 

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:05am

it will never change until women say enough is enough....if unions create a uniform pay say rate for whatever the job is...

then why isnt it adhered too.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes.. not many jobs now are  Male/female only like in years gone by...

nursing is a classic example   how would it be if female nurses were paid more than male    because it is their domain???... Roll Eyes..same with teaching   it was mainly a female career ...please dont tell me male teachers earn more than females....... Angry

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #18 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:12am

cods wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:05am:
...please dont tell me male teachers earn more than females......

They don't.  Not in Australia anyhoo. 

Such is the beauty of using a GLOBAL AVERAGE to fabricate grievances.  Its not enough to be responsible for our own societies anymore, now we have to amend for imbalances in the pay for the entire world.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:22am

... wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 8:53am:

you missed this bit

The pay data for Australia certainly isn’t bucking this trend. It doesn’t matter which way you look at it, there is consensus that the gender pay gap exists. Even though the overall gap in Australia has reduced slightly over the past two years, according to data from the ABS women still make 16.2% less than men.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:24am

What the hell are you on about Cods?

Those who don't pay correctly are usually the "employers".

Oh & the employers can be male or female.

The whole gender pay gap is a load of bollocks.

And just what do women have to say "enough is enough" about?

btw more & more males are leaving or not choosing to enter education.

And for those males that stay or start ... no their pay is no different to female teachers.

Quota systems are in place in companies all over Australia for employing women, ATSI'S & people of the LGBITQ persuasions.

The company I work for even advertised positions for "women only".

The Anti-Discrimination Act allows this blatant discrimination so companies can meet their quotas.

An absolute joke IMHO.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:28am

it will never change until women say enough is enough....if unions create a uniform pay say rate for whatever the job is...

then why isnt it adhered too.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes.. not many jobs now are  Male/female only like in years gone by...

Union negotiated Agreements, and Modern Awards don't have 'male' and 'female' pay rates.

The minimum rates in those documents apply to all workers, no matter whether they're men, women, gay, bi, trans, etc.

The key word is 'minimum', though.

As long as everyone is receiving the minimum rate, there is nothing stopping an employer from paying certain employees more than that.

Personally, I know of both men and women who are being paid more than the minimum Award or Agreement rates.

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:30am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:37am:

No, I just dont tolerate idiots very well. Plus idiots dont like it when they are called idiots and the pathetic rejoiners they post amuse me. Case in point.

Quote:

Except I just posted information that proves you wrong, and here you are flailing about, desperately trying to assert your dominance in an area where you are sinking fast.

Quote:

Why? You clearly dont respond to facts and figures, and you clearly wont respond to any sort of empathy based argument. All thats left is to point out, again, that you are wrong, call you an idiot and move on.

Quote:

See, this is where you fail in the most basic of areas. You didn't even read the article or any of the studies (and there are lots of them) to work out if the studies are based in fact. You dismissed them out of hand, because they challenge your world view and you cant handle that.

Quote:

Mothra seemed to be able to read the first post on this thread without suffering from any personal attacks. Why cant you? Is it because I was proven correct in my personal attacks? (hint : it was)

Quote:

No. The article links to the studies. The information is right there. Serious, its like three clicks away. ou can manage three mouseclicks cant you? Why do you need me to spoon feed you? Is it because you dont want to find out the information? (hint : it is)

Quote:

Because literally half hte population is being discriminated againt, and I think that is wrong. You dont. Which is bad and wrong, but you are used to being bad and wrong, arent you?

Quote:

I did. You ignored it, and the merrygoround of life continues with you being wrong and bad.
Quote:

I did. You ignored it, and the merrygoround of life continues with you being wrong and bad.

Quote:

Quote:

What? you? lol. good to see you still keep your sense of humour, even though you are bad and wrong.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #23 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:31am

John Smith wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:22am:

you missed this bit

Nope.  They know the explanation for that. 

Less skilled/safer jobs, shorter hours, less time spent with employers to establish seniority...and thats just the ones who actually work.  The housewives who sell avon count too.

It's just one big load of wank.

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:34am

aquascoot wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 8:07am:

Thats just bollocks.

Quote:
a great man goes out into the world and goes to war in business and gives his all and then, in order to recharge he needs to come home and have the adrenaline and cortisol dissipated from the day of brutal work and relentless effort.

This is also bollocks.
Quote:

Yep, still bollocks.
Quote:
and by this polarity and synergy, no man can be truly fulfilled if he doesnt have a nurturing and feminine woman to come home and recharge him so that the next day he can go out and crush it for the both of them.

Bollocks, bollocks everywhere

Quote:
man on his own =  1
woman on her own = 1

I like this bit because it shows that the genders are equal. If only they were treated equally.

Quote:
man plus woman in relationship where they both try to be clones of each other and practice equality 

1 + 1 = 2.

Ok, a bit basic, but at least it was the shite you were peddling earlier.

Quote:
man plus woman in relationship where each fully commits to the roles i described and recognises the awesome power of the polarity of the sexes and the role requirements thereof

1 + 1 = 11.

Annndd we are back to the bollocks.

Quote:
you synergise and supercharge your awesomeness capabilities when men act as men and women act as women.

Gender roles are societal enforced bollocks.

Quote:

Oh so much goddamn bollocks.

I give your post 1/10 see me after class for reeducation.

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:39am

Quote:
In their 2016 Global Gender Gap Report, it is estimated that, at current rates, it would take another 170 years to close the global pay gap between men and women.

Thank you for read the first paragraph. At least you are putting some semblance of effort into this. Now, if you would just read the rest of the article, you would notice that it references Australian data a lot.

Quote:
That means if a lady in Kuwait is a nurse for a Dinar a day, while her countryman gets a million dinars for doing nuffin, its on us to balance the global average.  Nothing is more important than averages.

No, we need to get our poo in order in our own nation first.

Quote:
Barring the establishment of ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT, that enforces one pay rate for all us serfs - zero - they're always going to have something to complain about, and the grievance commissars futures are secured. 

Leaving aside the stupid notion that there will ever be one world government while boomers are around to bugger everything up, why do you think that the pay rate will be zero? And if everything you need if provided for you by the government, why would you need to be paid?

... wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:12am:
...please dont tell me male teachers earn more than females......

They don't.  Not in Australia anyhoo. 

Such is the beauty of using a GLOBAL AVERAGE to fabricate grievances.  Its not enough to be responsible for our own societies anymore, now we have to amend for imbalances in the pay for the entire world. 

No we dont, stop being bad and wrong.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #26 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:43am

donincognito wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:39am:
Quote:

Yes.  And since we have our poo in order, the commissars have now moved onto GLOBAL AVERAGES to ensure their ongoing employment.

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:45am

Gnads wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:24am:

Except for the information posted that clearly shows its not bollocks.

Quote:

Plenty of shite imo, but in this instance, we are talking about the gender pay gap. Keep up. Its not difficult.

Quote:

And for those males that stay or start ... no their pay is no different to female teachers.

Quote:
Our report showed that industrial and occupational segregation continue to be significant contributing factors to the gender pay gap. But while occupational segregation is decreasing (i.e. the different types of roles men and women do), the impact of industrial segregation (i.e. the different industries that men and women work in like mining or healthcare) has increased.

Women are not “choosing” to work in lower paying industries but, when large numbers of women start to work in an industry, they all get paid less. As Rhaina Cohen explained in an article in the Atlantic:

A study [by the sociologists Asaf Levanon, Paula England, and Paul Allison], which examined census data from 1950 to 2000, found that, when women enter an occupation in large numbers, that job begins to pay less, even after controlling for a range of factors like skill, race and geography. Their analysis found evidence of “devaluation” – that a higher proportion of women in an occupation leads to lower pay because of the discounting of work performed by women.

So, in other words: 50 years of data proved that the more women join an industry the less everyone gets paid.

If that’s not convincing enough, Cohen also pointed to a study showing that higher the percentage of women in an industry the lower its perceived “prestige”; and a study from 2007 that found that even where men’s low-wage jobs demand far less in terms of skill, education and certifications than women’s low-wage jobs, the male-dominated ones usually command higher hourly pay.

In other words, you are wrong and bad.

Quote:
Quota systems are in place in companies all over Australia for employing women, ATSI'S & people of the LGBITQ persuasions.

Good.
Quote:

Good.
Quote:
The Anti-Discrimination Act allows this blatant discrimination so companies can meet their quotas.

An absolute joke IMHO.

Its not discrimination if its an act to address discrimination. The fact that white dudes aren't favoured is because white dudes are already favoured and these quotas are an attempt to redress this imbalance.

Plus its good for business bottom lines to have more women in management, so if you think about it (hint : you havent) its in the businesses best interest to have more women in management.

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:47am

... wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:31am:
John Smith wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:22am:

you missed this bit

Nope.  They know the explanation for that. 

Less skilled/safer jobs, shorter hours, less time spent with employers to establish seniority...and thats just the ones who actually work.  The housewives who sell avon count too.

It's just one big load of wank.

Quote:
Secondly, what our study showed was that sex discrimination continues to be the single largest factor contributing to the gender pay gap, increasing from 35% in 2007 to 38% in 2014.

Sex discrimination in the report accounts for everything that is left after all the other factors that have an impact on the gender pay gap, such as age, tenure, time out of the workforce, occupation, industry, part-time work and sector, have been taken into account. This means that more than a third of the gender pay gap is the result of gender discrimination and unconscious bias.

Stop being wrong. Its getting pretty sad.

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:47am

... wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:43am:
donincognito wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:39am:
Quote:

Yes.  And since we have our poo in order, the commissars have now moved onto GLOBAL AVERAGES to ensure their ongoing employment.

Quote:

Serious, its the second paragraph.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #30 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:57am

Quote:
Secondly, what our study showed was that sex discrimination continues to be the single largest factor contributing to the gender pay gap, increasing from 35% in 2007 to 38% in 2014.

Hehehe. 

This, if correct, shows that despite the often ridiculous lengths the commissars go to to bully the populace into accepting their ideology over the last decade, their efforts have actually had the opposite effect.

Their answer?  More bullying.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:01am

... wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:57am:
Quote:

Hehehe. 

This, if correct, shows that despite the often ridiculous lengths the commissars go to to bully the populace into accepting their ideology over the last decade, their efforts have actually had the opposite effect.

So you are perfectly fine with your mother, wife and daughter being discriminated against because of who they are?

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:07am

there is no award or EBA in Australia which offers females less money than males for the same work. Hope this clears up your confusion, there is no gender pay gap.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #33 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:10am

donincognito wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:01am:
Quote:

Hehehe. 

So you are perfectly fine with your mother, wife and daughter being discriminated against because of who they are?

But they're not.  Our reality does not mirror the fabrications of vested interests. 

In fact, my mother recently said she turned down a promotion because it was only offered because she was a woman.  I told her "yeah but you know some other woman is just going to gladly take it".  She knew damn well, but it didn't matter.  Principles.

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:12am

rhino wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:07am:
there is no award or EBA in Australia which offers females less money than males for the same work. Hope this clears up your confusion, there is no gender pay gap.

There is no confusion here, but lets play your stupid game.

What about people who aren't on an award wage or covered by an EBA?

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:13am

... wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:10am:
donincognito wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:01am:
Quote:

Hehehe. 

But they're not.  Our reality does not mirror the fabrications of vested interests. 

White dudes ITT posting about vested interests in closing the gender pay gap.

Quote:
In fact, my mother recently said she turned down a promotion because it was only offered because she was a woman.  I told her "yeah but you know some other woman is just going to gladly take it".  She knew damn well, but it didn't matter.  Principles.

What does this have to do with anything, apart from your mother apparently not wanting a promotion?

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #36 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:16am

What does it have to with anything?????

You said my mother was discriminated against, when the reality is she is discriminated FOR.

What does reality have to do with anything?

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:17am

... wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:16am:
What does it have to with anything?????

You said my mother was discriminated against, when the reality is she is discriminated FOR.

What does reality have to do with anything?

Quote:
Its not discrimination if its an act to address discrimination.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #38 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:19am

yeah, I'll file that in the same section as "It's not racism if its against whitey".

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:21am

... wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:19am:
yeah, I'll file that in the same section as "It's not racism if its against whitey".

Is that in the folder labelled "poo I cant wrap my tiny little brain around"?

In the cabinet labelled "issues I have thrown a tantrum about"?

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:25am

donincognito wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:12am:

Show an example of wage disparity.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #41 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:30am

donincognito wrote on Jul 20th, 2017 at 7:02pm:
https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2016/nov/08/dispelling-the-myths-why-the-gender-pay-gap-does-not-reflect-the-choices-women-make?

Quote:

Am I wrong or does this imply that women enter a male industry, hit critical mass and then all the pays drop?

Im wondering what industry that would be?

Low paying 'chick jobs' have always been low paying 'chick jobs' and those high paying jobs, you won't see too many women demanding to be a Diesel mechanic in some mine in the middle of Bumfkk nowhere. But those that do, do get paid very well and there isn't pay cuts for everyone because of her.

The problem is women want the top coin for the easy clean work and wouldn't we all, but those jobs are few and far between, so buck up little princesses it is what it is.

So become a diesel mechanic, apply for the FIFO job living in a remote mining camp in WA or NW QLD and make the big bucks, just like everyone else has to.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:32am

donincognito wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:34am:

Thats just bollocks.

Quote:

This is also bollocks.
Quote:

Yep, still bollocks.
Quote:

Quote:
man on his own =  1
woman on her own = 1

I like this bit because it shows that the genders are equal. If only they were treated equally.

Quote:
man plus woman in relationship where they both try to be clones of each other and practice equality 

1 + 1 = 2.

Quote:

1 + 1 = 11.

Quote:

Quote:

don, i get why you get upset and antsy.
women have been let down by men because most men are sh**t.
most men are mediocre little bitches who whine and complain and are pussies.

so a woman looks at such a man and she thinks "i have to wear the pants, make the decisions, and i have to teach my daughter to do the same because the men in my life are such low quality mediocre lazy layabouts,that if i dont take on this task, i will be destroyed and my daughter will be destroyed.

the amswer isnt to take on these roles which the emotional feminine brain was never designed to take on and then to resent the fact that you have to "man up"

the answer is to get yourself a more high quality man, a man who will lead, a man who is not a reactive little tantrum throwing, emotionally unmastered toddler.
a "superior" man
get yourself a man who makes you feel so safe and so looked after that you can be a woman and enjoy your fun and feminine emotions which are the emotions you like to feel.

no woman could enjoy being overworked , resentful of men and stressed out all the time.

when a little girl was 10 years old, is that the future she dreamt of?

get back in touch with your inner child.

concerns with "gender pay gaps " are just diversions from whats really upsetting you

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:32am

And heres the thing, when women enter traditional male employment roles they very often cant perform the same functions and workload as men however still get paid an equal amount and if they are lucky enough to work for the state or federal government are also given enhanced pathways to promotion .

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #44 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:35am

rhino wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:25am:

What happened Mothra Don? All you need is one example.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #45 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:36am

If they're not covered by an EBA or a Modern Award, they're considered "award and agreement free" under the FWC.

In those situations, the National Minimum Wage and the NES form their minimum terms and conditions of employment.

And, neither the National Minimum Wage nor the NES offers females less money than males for the same work.

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:54am

BigOl64 wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:30am:

Quote:

Am I wrong or does this imply that women enter a male industry, hit critical mass and then all the pays drop?

No, you are correct

Quote:
Im wondering what industry that would be?

Teaching for one.

Quote:
Low paying 'chick jobs' have always been low paying 'chick jobs' and those high paying jobs, you won't see too many women demanding to be a Diesel mechanic in some mine in the middle of Bumfkk nowhere. But those that do, do get paid very well and there isn't pay cuts for everyone because of her.
This is just plainly wrong. Gender makeup of jobs/industries changes over time.
Quote:
The problem is women want the top coin for the easy clean work and wouldn't we all, but those jobs are few and far between, so buck up little princesses it is what it is.

Pretty sure they just want to be paid the same as dudes.

Quote:
So become a diesel mechanic, apply for the FIFO job living in a remote mining camp in WA or NW QLD and make the big bucks, just like everyone else has to.

This isnt how most people make the big bucks.

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:55am

Quote:
In addition, men and women are paid differently despite performing the same role within Australia's top accounting firms, workforce diversity specialist Conrad Liveris told PM.

Mr Liveris claims top accounting firms including PriceWaterHouse Coopers, EY and Deloitte are paying men and women differently for the same roles with pay gaps ranging from 1 to 5 per cent.

"Even at their highest level, at the partnership level, they were finding about a 5 per cent gender pay gap in a like-for-like basis," Mr Liveris said.

I have, keep up.

rhino wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:35am:

The fact you cant seem to read simple english doesnt help your cause.

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:58am

aquascoot wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:32am:
donincognito wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:34am:

Thats just bollocks.

Quote:

This is also bollocks.
Quote:

Yep, still bollocks.
Quote:

Quote:
man on his own =  1
woman on her own = 1

Quote:

1 + 1 = 2.

Quote:

1 + 1 = 11.

Quote:

Quote:

don, i get why you get upset and antsy.
women have been let down by men because most men are sh**t.
most men are mediocre little bitches who whine and complain and are pussies.

so a woman looks at such a man and she thinks "i have to wear the pants, make the decisions, and i have to teach my daughter to do the same because the men in my life are such low quality mediocre lazy layabouts,that if i dont take on this task, i will be destroyed and my daughter will be destroyed.

the amswer isnt to take on these roles which the emotional feminine brain was never designed to take on and then to resent the fact that you have to "man up"

the answer is to get yourself a more high quality man, a man who will lead, a man who is not a reactive little tantrum throwing, emotionally unmastered toddler.
a "superior" man
get yourself a man who makes you feel so safe and so looked after that you can be a woman and enjoy your fun and feminine emotions which are the emotions you like to feel.

no woman could enjoy being overworked , resentful of men and stressed out all the time.

when a little girl was 10 years old, is that the future she dreamt of?

get back in touch with your inner child.

concerns with "gender pay gaps " are just diversions from whats really upsetting you

Yeah this is all bollocks that isnt worth responding to.

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:59am

rhino wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:32am:
And heres the thing, when women enter traditional male employment roles they very often cant perform the same functions and workload as men however still get paid an equal amount and if they are lucky enough to work for the state or federal government are also given enhanced pathways to promotion .

Except for being wrong in nearly every aspect, this is almost a good post.

We are discussing how women arent paid the same.

Its enlightening that you think women arent as capable as men. Really gives an extra pizzazz to your posts.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #50 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:59am

donincognito wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:55am:

Quote:
In addition, men and women are paid differently despite performing the same role within Australia's top accounting firms, workforce diversity specialist Conrad Liveris told PM.

I have, keep up.

Men and other men are paid differently despite performing the same role within Australia's top accounting firms too.

The thing is, they are all guaranteed the same minimum wage.

EBAs, Modern Awards, the NES, and the National Minimum Wage do not have lower rates of pay for women.

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #51 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 11:01am

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:36am:

If they're not covered by an EBA or a Modern Award, they're considered "award and agreement free" under the FWC.

In those situations, the National Minimum Wage and the NES form their minimum terms and conditions of employment.

And, neither the National Minimum Wage nor the NES offers females less money than males for the same work.

And yet there is still a gender pay gap.

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 11:02am

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:59am:

Quote:

I have, keep up.

Men and other men are paid differently despite performing the same role within Australia's top accounting firms too.

The thing is, they are all guaranteed the same minimum wage.

EBAs, Modern Awards, the NES, and the National Minimum Wage do not have lower rates of pay for women.

Quote:

Quote:
Women don’t negotiate for better pay so it’s their fault if they’re paid less
Again, it’s not true to say women don’t ask for raises. They just don’t receive them at the same rate as men. And there is evidence that when women do negotiate, they are actually penalised.

A recent study from Cass Business School, the University of Warwick and the University of Wisconsin shows that women ask for wage rises just as often as men but men are 25% more likely to get a raise when they ask. The study collected data from 4,600 Australian workers across more than 800 employers and found no difference in the likelihood of asking between the two genders. The authors suggested that it might actually be “how” women ask, that a lack of assertiveness in negotiations is often cited as a potential reason why women might make less money than men for similar work.

As WGEA explains, negotiation is usually associated with agentic, and therefore masculine, behaviour. When employers negotiate with women, they tend to offer less and are more likely to resist influence attempts. Studies have shown that women’s reluctance to enter negotiations is partly because they are penalised more than men for doing so. The more women anticipate backlash, the less inclined they are to initiate negotiations.

In other words, women are asking for raises but, if they ask too assertively, they’re turned down for being too pushy, and if they don’t ask assertively enough, they aren’t good negotiators so they don’t get a raise.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 11:04am

Sort out the 5 year life expectancy gap and we can look at the froth and bubble issues later.

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #54 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 11:11am

miketrees wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 11:04am:

Sort out the 5 year life expectancy gap and we can look at the froth and bubble issues later.

Some light reading for you.
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20151001-why-women-live-longer-than-men
https://cheba.unsw.edu.au/blog/why-do-women-live-longer-men
https://theconversation.com/if-men-are-favored-in-our-society-why-do-they-die-yo
unger-than-women-71527
http://content.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1827162,00.html
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-art-and-science-aging-well/201702/why-do-women-live-longer-men

Long story short, we cant. Deal with it.

Now that we know we cant sort out that issue, lets address the other pressing one, of the gender pay gap, and the many reaching effects it has.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #55 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 11:16am

donincognito wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:45am:
Gnads wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:24am:

Except for the information posted that clearly shows its not bollocks.

Quote:

Plenty of shite imo, but in this instance, we are talking about the gender pay gap. Keep up. Its not difficult.

Quote:

Quote:

In other words, you are wrong and bad.

Quote:

Good.
Quote:

Good.
Quote:

An absolute joke IMHO.

Its not discrimination if its an act to address discrimination. The fact that white dudes aren't favoured is because white dudes are already favoured and these quotas are an attempt to redress this imbalance.

Plus its good for business bottom lines to have more women in management, so if you think about it (hint : you havent) its in the businesses best interest to have more women in management.

Rubbish ... discriminating to address discrimination?  Grin

Just like fighting for peace or f*$king for virginity ey?

They weren't being discriminated against as the jobs were never ever advertised men only.

We aren't talking just about management positions.

And discrimination in favour of one gender over another instead of the most suitable applicant is still an unwarranted discrimination.

In fact in most cases the physical requirements were lessened to facilitate women into what was previously only jobs that men worked.

That being that women previously had no desire to be out of bed all night in all weather doing physical work.

And after 10 years of watching the discrimination in favour of women & others has seen the business going backwards ....... with people without any experience or knowledge of the industry being employed as supervisiors/coordinators & managers .... & simply because of their gender, race & sexual preferences.

The gender pay gap is bollocks and so is Affirmative Action.

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #56 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 11:33am

Gnads wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 11:16am:

No.

Quote:
They weren't being discriminated against as the jobs were never ever advertised men only.

Because its not blatant discrimination in the job ad does not mean there isnt behind the scenes discrimination going on.

Quote:

Correct.
Quote:
And discrimination in favour of one gender over another instead of the most suitable applicant is still an unwarranted discrimination.

No it isnt.
Quote:
In fact in most cases the physical requirements were lessened to facilitate women into what was previously only jobs that men worked.

Got a link to prove what you are saying? No, of course not, you dont bother with anything like facts or figures, you just make poo up and pass it of as self evident.
Quote:
That being that women previously had no desire to be out of bed all night in all weather doing physical work.

Who does? An idiot thats who. I would much prefer to be in bed all night, unless I was receiving adequate compensation.

Quote:
And after 10 years of watching the discrimination in favour of women & others has seen the business going backwards

Corporate profits are at near record highs, how exactly are businesses going backwards?

Quote:
....... with people without any experience or knowledge of the industry being employed as supervisiors/coordinators & managers .... & simply because of their gender, race & sexual preferences.

I know a shitload of male managers, supervisors and and coordinators who couldnt find their ass with an ass finding radar, and just get shuffled from position to position.

Quote:

Except it clearly isnt.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #57 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 11:56am

donincognito wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 11:01am:

Not in any EBA, Modern Award, the NES or the National Minimum Wage.

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #58 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:02pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 11:56am:

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #59 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:04pm

donincognito wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:02pm:

And ... ?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #60 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:10pm

Do you agree that the NES, the National Minimum Wage, EBAs and Modern Awards don't have different rates of pay based on gender?

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #61 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:14pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:04pm:

And ... ?

And its is a problem that should be sorted out, but first it requires people to realise there is a problem.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #62 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:16pm

donincognito wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:14pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:04pm:

And ... ?

And its is a problem that should be sorted out, but first it requires people to realise there is a problem.

Sorted out, how?

The NES, the National Minimum Wage, EBAs and Modern Awards do NOT have different rates of pay based on gender.

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #63 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:20pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:16pm:
Sorted out, how?

The NES, the National Minimum Wage, EBAs and Modern Awards do NOT have different rates of pay based on gender.

Societal wide transformation in how men think about and value women.
Targets and quotas to get more women into positions of power in both government and private industry.
Valuing female dominated industries as much as we value male dominated industries.
Improved flexibility for mothers wanting to reenter the workforce.
Paternity leave becoming mandatory.
Men stop thinking that other men caring for people are weak.

A lot of the biases men show in hiring practices are unconscious biases and need to be pointed out for them to be fixed.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #64 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:23pm

See - I told yez greg sometimes talks sense... when it suits him...

It would appear the only solution, considering all the things you've mentioned, greg, is that women must be paid at a higher rate than men for the same work or force fed into the higher and more powerful work regardless of any equal treatment of genuine merit - to even out.  It's not as if they haven't been doing that for forty farken years in the public service and such, is it, and I'd hardly say the female dominated work areas are less highly regarded - in fact, for actual work input they are well paid and well entitled?

More per hour means they can work the fewer hours they do without 'penalty' in income (not wage/salary).  It's not as if they're lumped into the easy air-conditioned work places or anything... maybe hardship money.... it's tough being a woman in a man's world, you know..   Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes

I've told you all before - this entire argument is a nonsense in THIS nation - and frankly - I have no input into the way other nations choose to run themselves.

― John Adams

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #65 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:27pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:23pm:

It would appear the only solution, considering all the things you've mentioned, greg, is that women must be paid at a higher rate than men for the same work - to even out.  More per hour means they can work the fewer hours they do without 'penalty' in income (not wage/salary).  It's not as if they're lumped into the easy air-conditioned work places or anything... maybe hardship money.... it's tough being a woman in a man's world, you know..   Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes

So you admit its a mans world then? Thats good, baby steps, we will get you there eventually.

But no, you dont need to pay them higher. You need to pay them the same, and give them the chance to work the same hours. Thats it.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #66 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:31pm

donincognito wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:20pm:
Sorted out, how?

Good luck with that.

Targets and quotas to get more women into positions of power in both government and private industry.
Jobs should be offered to someone based on their ability - not their genitals.

Valuing female dominated industries as much as we value male dominated industries.
I think we do.

This is happening in a big way.

There have been great improvements with paternity leave.

Good luck, again. seriously though, not many men think that these days.

A lot of the biases men show in hiring practices are unconscious biases and need to be pointed out for them to be fixed.
True, however, there's no way you'll stop that. Pigs like Trump, for example, will always be pigs.

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #67 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:31pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:23pm:

It would appear the only solution, considering all the things you've mentioned, greg, is that women must be paid at a higher rate than men for the same work or force fed into the higher and more powerful work regardless of any equal treatment of genuine merit - to even out.  It's not as if they haven't been doing that for forty farken years in the public service and such, is it, and I'd hardly say the female dominated work areas are less highly regarded - in fact, for actual work input they are well paid and well entitled?

You must live in some other reality because in my reality, women are equally as capable as men, and yet get paid less, and given less opportunities to prove how capable they are. Hence this entire discussion.

Quote:
More per hour means they can work the fewer hours they do without 'penalty' in income (not wage/salary).  It's not as if they're lumped into the easy air-conditioned work places or anything... maybe hardship money.... it's tough being a woman in a man's world, you know..   Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes

So you admit its a mans world then? Thats good, baby steps, we will get you there eventually.

Quote:
I've told you all before - this entire argument is a nonsense in THIS nation - and frankly - I have no input into the way other nations choose to run themselves.

You keep saying this, despite being give proof that you are wrong. Why are you so resistant to the notion that you are wrong?

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #68 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:34pm

Sorted out, how?

In other words:  Implementation of year zero.

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #69 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:36pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:31pm:
Sorted out, how?

(1)Societal wide transformation in how men think about and value women.
Good luck with that.

(2)Targets and quotas to get more women into positions of power in both government and private industry.
Jobs should be offered to someone based on their ability - not their genitals.

(3)Valuing female dominated industries as much as we value male dominated industries.
I think we do.

(4)Improved flexibility for mothers wanting to reenter the workforce.
This is happening in a big way.

(5)Paternity leave becoming mandatory.
There have been great improvements with paternity leave.

(6)Men stop thinking that other men caring for people are weak.
Good luck, again. seriously though, not many men think that these days.

True, however, there's no way you'll stop that. Pigs like Trump, for example, will always be pigs.

(1)I never said it would be easy. I know how fragile male egos are when their dominance is challenged in the slightest.

(2)The fact of the matter is that there are many capable women who arent being given the opportunities that men are. Unless you are saying that men like Dutton are simply the best for the job, in which case im afraid we will have to disagree on that point.

(3)No, you are wrong.
Quote:

(4) Baby steps. Not enough is being done.
(5) See (4)
(6) You just have to look at this board to see that isnt the case.

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #70 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:36pm

... wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:34pm:
Sorted out, how?

What is year zero?

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #71 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:38pm

donincognito wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:36pm:
Sorted out, how?

What is year zero?

The utopian vision of the Khmer Rouge, later adopted by western leftists.

Quote:
The idea behind Year Zero is that all culture and traditions within a society must be completely destroyed or discarded and a new revolutionary culture must replace it, starting from scratch. All history of a nation or people before Year Zero is deemed largely irrelevant, as it will ideally be purged and replaced from the ground up.

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #72 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:43pm

... wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:38pm:
Sorted out, how?

What is year zero?

The utopian vision of the Khmer Rouge, later adopted by western leftists.

Quote:
The idea behind Year Zero is that all culture and traditions within a society must be completely destroyed or discarded and a new revolutionary culture must replace it, starting from scratch. All history of a nation or people before Year Zero is deemed largely irrelevant, as it will ideally be purged and replaced from the ground up.

So exactly not what I said. Gotcha.

Changing the way men think is not the same as destroying all aspects of a culture. Improving the conditions for literally half the population does not require a purge. Its requires men to change how they think.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #73 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:45pm

(2)The fact of the matter is that there are many capable women who arent being given the opportunities that men are.

They have the same opportunities to apply for a job that men do.

Unless you are saying that men like Dutton are simply the best for the job, in which case im afraid we will have to disagree on that point.

I wouldn't even call Dutton a man.

That's an insult to the rest of us.

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #74 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 1:15pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:45pm:
(2)The fact of the matter is that there are many capable women who arent being given the opportunities that men are.

And yet there are more dudes called Chris who are CEOs than there are women CEOs.

They may be given the opportunity to apply for the job, but that isnt the same as being given the opportunity to prove they can do the job.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #75 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 1:16pm

donincognito wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 1:15pm:

And yet there are more dudes called Chris who are CEOs than there are women CEOs.

They may be given the opportunity to apply for the job, but that isnt the same as being given the opportunity to prove they can do the job.

If they get the job, they can prove how good they are.

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #76 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 1:23pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 1:16pm:

Ok, we are almost there.

The point being they arent getting the job, even though they are qualified and capable.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #77 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 1:25pm

donincognito wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 1:23pm:

Ok, we are almost there.

The point being they arent getting the job, even though they are qualified and capable.

Qualified and capable men miss out on jobs every day.

Only one person can get the job.

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #78 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 1:29pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 1:25pm:

Ok, we are almost there.

And yet that person overwhelmingly seems to be a dude.

Unless you are saying that there are no women around more capable than Dutton?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #79 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 1:33pm

donincognito wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 1:29pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 1:25pm:

Ok, we are almost there.

And yet that person overwhelmingly seems to be a dude.

If that's who the employer wants, that's who'll they employ.

You can't tell an employer who to hire.

Moreover, many women hold very senior positions in this country.

There's no conspiracy.

Sometimes a man gets the job, sometimes a woman gets the job.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #80 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 1:34pm

donincognito wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 1:29pm:
Unless you are saying that there are no women around more capable than Dutton?

In the Turnbull Government?

They're all incompetent - the men and the women.

I wouldn't give any of them a job.

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #81 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 2:08pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 1:33pm:

Yes you can. You set a quota. Thats sort of the point.

Quote:
Moreover, many women hold very senior positions in this country.

Yes, but not enough.

Quote:
There's no conspiracy.

I dont think that its a conspiracy. I think that men prefer to hire men, and so more men get hired, who prefer to hire men, and so more men get hired.

Conspiracy, to me, implies that its a conscious decision and all men are in on it. I think often its an unconscious choice that men use different reasons to justify.

Quote:
Sometimes a man gets the job, sometimes a woman gets the job.

and yet overwhelmingly, its the men that get the job.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #82 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 2:27pm

Its natural for women to earn less.
Live with it.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #83 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 2:55pm

Quote:

I have, keep up.

rhino wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:35am:

The fact you cant seem to read simple english doesnt help your cause.
terrible example. wheres the detail? How do we know that the females are working the same hours? Have the same time off?

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #84 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 3:07pm

The only area that women maybe underpaid is right down at the bottom of the unskilled ladder, I believe it does happen in this environment.

And the only place where women might earn less than their male counter parts in a professional role might be because the women are working part time juggling the kids.

Other than that women are right up there with men in pay.

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #85 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 3:16pm

miketrees wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 2:27pm:
Its natural for women to earn less.
Live with it.

Willing to bet a large amount of money you dont have the bollocks to say this to every woman you meet.

Ajax wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 3:07pm:
The only area that women maybe underpaid is right down at the bottom of the unskilled ladder, I believe it does happen in this environment.

Except I have posted proof that this is wrong.

Quote:
And the only place where women might earn less than their male counter parts in a professional role might be because the women are working part time juggling the kids.
This is wrong too.

Quote:
Other than that women are right up there with men in pay.

Up there, yep. Equal, no.

Basically,

I can still tell the future.

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #86 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 3:34pm

In engineering women are paid the same as men.

I would also say this would be the case for all women with a degree in

Accounting
Economics
Medicine
Science
Chemistry
Biological
Law
Commerce
Business

It's not the gender but your qualification that earns you your pay and then your commitment and dedication after that..... Kiss

« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2017 at 3:44pm by Ajax »  

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #87 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 3:38pm

donincognito wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 2:08pm:

"Mark was clearly more qualified than Karen, and he has 10 years experience in a similar position, whereas Karen has no experience with this kind of work at all."

"However, we are well under our quota of females employees so I'll be giving the job to Karen".

"It doesn't matter that our clients will suffer, and that it will take months to train Karen up to an acceptable standard".

"It's the quota that matters".

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #88 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 3:42pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 3:38pm:

"Mark was clearly more qualified than Karen, and he has 10 years experience in a similar position, whereas Karen has no experience with this kind of work at all."

"However, we are well under our quota of females employees so I'll be giving the job to Karen".

"It doesn't matter that our clients will suffer, and that it will take months to train Karen up to an acceptable standard".

Roll Eyes

You just provided a very clear example of why government departments in this country are not run very well. Quotas for females and minorities regardless of ability.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #89 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 3:46pm

You set a quota.

Just for women?

That's a bit unfair.

What about disabled people, homosexuals, Buddhists, fat people, etc.?

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #90 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 3:55pm

Ajax wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 3:34pm:

Accounting
Economics
Medicine
Science
Chemistry
Biological
Law
Commerce
Business

It's not the gender but your qualification that earns you your pay and then your commitment and dedication after that..... Kiss

I know you aren't going to and instead are going to make stupid arguments that are already refuted in the article.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #91 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 3:56pm

rhino wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 3:42pm:

"However, we are well under our quota of female employees so I'll be giving the job to Karen".

Roll Eyes

You just provided a very clear example of why government departments in this country are not run very well. Quotas for females and minorities regardless of ability.

Indeed.

A sensible employer hires the best person for the job.

Full stop.

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #92 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 3:56pm

Roll Eyes

So you automatically assume that women have no experience in the field and will take months to get up to speed? Thats a pretty dim view of half of the population.

But just to make you feel better, we will assume that only capable and qualified men and women apply for the job.

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #93 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 3:57pm

Roll Eyes

Thats not the reason why government departments are poorly run. They are poorly run because they are still dominated by men.

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #94 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 3:58pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 3:46pm:
You set a quota.

Just for women?

That's a bit unfair.

Lowest hanging fruit first my friend, then equality for all. Precious broflakes cant handle too much change at once. Just look at the shitstorm thats resulted from saying women aren't paid the same.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #95 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 3:58pm

donincognito wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 3:56pm:

Roll Eyes

So you automatically assume that women have no experience in the field and will take months to get up to speed? Thats a pretty dim view of half of the population.

No.

That was just one example.

Here's another one, equally ridiculous.

"Julie was clearly more qualified than Greg, and she has 10 years experience in a similar position, whereas Greg has no experience with this kind of work at all."

"However, we are well under our quota of male employees so I'll be giving the job to Greg".

"It doesn't matter that our clients will suffer, and that it will take months to train Greg up to an acceptable standard".

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #96 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 3:59pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 3:56pm:

"However, we are well under our quota of female employees so I'll be giving the job to Karen".

Roll Eyes

Indeed.

A sensible employer hires the best person for the job.

Full stop.

And yet the world is full of examples of this not being the case.

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #97 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 4:00pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 3:58pm:

Roll Eyes

No.

"Julie was clearly more qualified than Greg, and she has 10 years experience in a similar position, whereas Greg has no experience with this kind of work at all."

"However, we are well under our quota of male employees so I'll be giving the job to Greg".

"It doesn't matter that our clients will suffer, and that it will take months to train Greg up to an acceptable standard".

Ridiculous for a completely different reason though. Noone is calling for male quotas because males are already over represented.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #98 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 4:01pm

donincognito wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 3:58pm:
You set a quota.

Just for women?

That's a bit unfair.

Lowest hanging fruit first my friend, then equality for all. Precious broflakes cant handle too much change at once. Just look at the shitstorm thats resulted from saying women aren't paid the same.

Take a look at these: https://www.fwc.gov.au/awards-and-agreements/awards/modern-awards/modern-awards-...

Can you find just ONE that has lower rates for women?

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #99 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 4:01pm

donincognito wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 3:55pm:

Accounting
Economics
Medicine
Science
Chemistry
Biological
Law
Commerce
Business

http://i.imgur.com/OgnghYk.jpg

I know you aren't going to and instead are going to make stupid arguments that are already refuted in the article.

I don't know any graduates who are women and get payed less than the boys when they first take up a job in their profession.

So I'ld say that's BULLSHIT...................!!

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #100 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 4:05pm

donincognito wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 4:00pm:

Roll Eyes

No.

Ridiculous for a completely different reason though. Noone is calling for male quotas because males are already over represented.

A 50/50 quota means half men, and half women.

Year nine maths, innit?

If a company with a 50/50 quota has too many women, it's going to start hiring men (based on their genitals and not on their ability).

That's ridiculous.

Just as ridiculous as hiring women just because they are women.

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #101 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 4:33pm

donincognito wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 3:57pm:
Thats not the reason why government departments are poorly run. They are poorly run because they are still dominated by men.

Identity politics gone full retard.

They're poorly run because they don't encourage a strong and responsible work ethic. If your boss has a poor and/or lax work ethic, this shows in the workers.

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #102 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 4:37pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 4:01pm:
You set a quota.

Just for women?

That's a bit unfair.

Take a look at these: https://www.fwc.gov.au/awards-and-agreements/awards/modern-awards/modern-awards-...

I dont know why you keep harping on about this one point. I get it. Modern awards dont discriminate. Thats lovely. Truly it is.

And yet the fact still remains that there is a gender pay gap.

Given that, as you so correctly point out, the awards arent to blame, what do you think the problem is?

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #103 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 4:38pm

Ajax wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 4:01pm:
donincognito wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 3:55pm:

Accounting
Economics
Medicine
Science
Chemistry
Biological
Law
Commerce
Business

http://i.imgur.com/OgnghYk.jpg

I don't know any graduates who are women and get payed less than the boys when they first take up a job in their profession.

So I'ld say that's BULLSHIT...................!!

The plural of anecdote is not data. Your experience is not the same experience of everyone. The fact you personally havent seen it to be an issue clearly doesnt mean it isnt one.

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #104 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 4:39pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 4:05pm:

Roll Eyes

No.

Year nine maths, innit?

If a company with a 50/50 quota has too many women, it's going to start hiring men (based on their genitals and not on their ability).

That's ridiculous.

Again, noone is calling for quotas for males, because males are already over-represented in positions of power.

Stop building up a strawman. Noone is buying that argument.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #105 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 5:56pm

donincognito wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 4:39pm:

Roll Eyes

No.

Year nine maths, innit?

That's ridiculous.

Again, noone is calling for quotas for males, because males are already over-represented in positions of power.

Could that be because they worked for longer to get there and because of the fact that men work more hours on average per week than women?  I showed you that coupla years ago with the census that said that men worked 42 odd hours a week on average and women 33 - which equated EXACTLY to the percentage of 'income gap' (not that you'd want to hear that!)...

Same thing applies with super - at a set rate working fewer hours on average will ensure you do not have as much as someone who works more hours at the same rate.  Not only that, but in couples the superannuation is a benefit to both, and many women inherit their old man's super when he dies etc, or even when they divorce.

Are you suggesting that the single professional woman is somehow gathering less super and retirement funding than a man or woman paying for a family?

Super needs a full 'lifetime' of fifty years to bear fruit properly - and it astounds me that both the 'conservatives' and the 'left-reaching' such as yourself are screeching that it isn't working. 

Like all calls for affirmative action - it demands everything right here and right now, and doesn't allow experience and ability and time to make TRUE equality work... the down side of affirmative action is that once set in place, there is no sunset on it, and what happens is what you see in public services, banking, teaching and a host of other jobs - they continue to employ and promote women long after the mythical 50/50 has been reached, and affirmative action for that group alone becomes the norm and not the exception to satisfy an agenda.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #106 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 5:59pm

Not only that, but I posted figures before that showed that 70% of men would retire with only pension, while 62% of women would retire with only pension.  How does that work out if women are so disadvantaged in work and super?

― John Adams

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #107 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 6:41pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 5:56pm:
Could that be because they worked for longer to get there and because of the fact that men work more hours on average per week than women? 

No. Keep up. You have been shown to be wrong. Here, I will do it one more time.

Quote:

Quote:
I showed you that coupla years ago with the census that said that men worked 42 odd hours a week on average and women 33 - which equated EXACTLY to the percentage of 'income gap' (not that you'd want to hear that!)...

Thats nice, you are still wrong.

Quote:
Same thing applies with super - at a set rate working fewer hours on average will ensure you do not have as much as someone who works more hours at the same rate. 
Women arent paid at the same rate, keep up.

Quote:
Not only that, but in couples the superannuation is a benefit to both, and many women inherit their old man's super when he dies etc, or even when they divorce.
The opposite is true as well. What about single women?

Quote:
Are you suggesting that the single professional woman is somehow gathering less super and retirement funding than a man or woman paying for a family?
I dunno man, you just brought up super out of nowhere, if you have any facts or figures to back up the stuff you are saying I would love to see them. I havent mentioned super at all.

Quote:
Super needs a full 'lifetime' of fifty years to bear fruit properly - and it astounds me that both the 'conservatives' and the 'left-reaching' such as yourself are screeching that it isn't working. 

We havent had super for 50 years and yet it seems to be bearing a lot of fruit for wealthy white dudes. Im pretty sure thats what people are annoyed about. Yet again its the people who need it the least who are gaining the most.

Quote:
Like all calls for affirmative action - it demands everything right here and right now, and doesn't allow experience and ability and time to make TRUE equality work...

How many years has civilisation been around? Thats how long its taken for us to get to this point. Im pretty sure thats enough time to prove that without a shakeup, the status quo will prevail.

Quote:
the down side of affirmative action is that once set in place, there is no sunset on it,

No, wrong again. Once there is enough women in power we can move onto other issues, but they arent as big as the systematic discrimination that women face today. Other minorities will naturally be lifted up as more women are.

Quote:
and what happens is what you see in public services, banking, teaching and a host of other jobs - they continue to employ and promote women long after the mythical 50/50 has been reached

No, this is just something you have dreamed up. Once a quota has been reached it is simple to take it away, because it is no longer needed. Its not like they are going to keep increasing the amount of the quota.

Quote:
and affirmative action for that group alone becomes the norm and not the exception to satisfy an agenda.

Good. Women have been getting the crappy end of the deal for a smacking long time. Why cant they have their moment in the sun. Its not like they could bugger it up worse than what men have done.

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #108 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 6:42pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 5:59pm:
Not only that, but I posted figures before that showed that 70% of men would retire with only pension, while 62% of women would retire with only pension.  How does that work out if women are so disadvantaged in work and super?

You keep saying you have done this poo, but never actually back it up with anything remotely approaching a reliable source.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #109 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 6:47pm

donincognito wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 4:37pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 4:01pm:
You set a quota.

Just for women?

That's a bit unfair.

I dont know why you keep harping on about this one point. I get it. Modern awards dont discriminate. Thats lovely. Truly it is.

Given that, as you so correctly point out, the awards arent to blame, what do you think the problem is?

There's a variety of reasons.

For example:

- some women take more time off to care for children

- some people prefer women over men when they hire

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #110 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 6:49pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 6:47pm:

For example:

Quote:

I honestly thought you were better than this. Oh well.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #111 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 6:53pm

donincognito wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 6:49pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 6:47pm:

For example:

Quote:

Yes, sounds about right.

That doesn't mean I condone it, though.

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #112 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 6:58pm

and we got there in the end.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #113 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 7:46pm

donincognito wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 6:58pm:
and we got there in the end.

Sir Booby always gets there in the end.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #114 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 7:48pm

That's according to the report - still doesn't figure out why women work 76% of the hours men do but suffer under only receiving 76% of the incomes men do... pretty simple really.  If they were all on the same hourly rate it fits perfectly, so where is there discrimination involved?

How is it 'gender discrimination' that more women generally move into the areas of work that are not as physically strenuous, and unfortunately some of those areas attract lower rates of pay?

Are you suggesting there is no discrimination against male nurses in that massively female-dominated environment?  How many top grade nurses are men?

The fact still remains - nobody gets paid less than the mandated minimum, unless they are working for SeanKey Industries (an offshoot of ripoff Enterprises)...

You simply cannot take into account contracted or negotiated salaries, since those are dependent on many, many factors, the LEAST of which is discrimination.  Again - Tom Cruise or Nicole Kidman does not get paid equity rates....... there are clear reasons why that is so, and the same applies in many spheres of work.

How is it discrimination for a woman to take care of a sick child?  That's called... LIFE... and always has been.

Reports are a dime a dozen and, like Royal Commissions, are rarely called for unless the outcome is already known or desired in advance.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #115 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 7:55pm

donincognito wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 6:42pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 5:59pm:

You keep saying you have done this poo, but never actually back it up with anything remotely approaching a reliable source.

You've never bothered to look or read it, and unlike your feminist mentors, I have zero intention of spoon feeding you or going back several years to find it for you again.  You are perfectly capable of getting out there and checking for yourself - the Truth IS out there somewhere... but you, and many like you, simply do not want to look and are content with being told the approved line, which is most cases, is utter nonsense that doesn't stack up any way.

As for you and your reliability - you cherry pick the Usual Suspect source report and say that is the Real Deal.... and you have zero interest, from the outset, in even considering realities that are thrown at you if they don't agree.

You are an Intellectual Stalinist (as opposed to an Intellectual Fascist, since you espouse the 'socialist' line without any real idea what it is all about in reality, and Stalin was to the RIGHT of Hitler in case you missed it) ..... and on top of that, do you expect me to run a course for you every time you arrive here all pumped up with your feel-good stand up for the victims mentality, which is not accompanied by thought or reason?

In case you missed it, sonny - there are millions of Australians doing it tough out there - so all this nonsense about women and super, especially (once again for the abysmally slow) when the mandatory super system has not had a chance to run a full term yet - is utter and complete nonsense.

MANY Australians are retiring without adequate super... and I've told you already, in a couple situation or even in divorce, women SHARE the super anyway...  What part of that do you NOT understand?

If you wish to pursue your ideology - no woman should get a share of a man's super in divorce or retirement - and she should rely totally on her own.

What utter nonsense.

You GET what you put in from the hours you work, and nowhere these days do I see women finding it harder than men to get work, and in many areas, easier.  Thank you for coming.
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2017 at 8:05pm by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

― John Adams

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #116 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 8:13pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 7:55pm:
You GET what you put in from the hours you work, and nowhere these days do I see women finding it harder than men to get work, and in many areas, easier. 

I have to agree.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #117 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 8:25pm

I must say I've enjoyed this thread. Thanks.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #118 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:00pm

Setanta wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 8:25pm:
I must say I've enjoyed this thread. Thanks.

As a matter of interest - I've always promoted the idea that women should be treated equally in the workplace - same as everyone else.... but I think I'm a dying breed who thinks that equal treatment means everyone....

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #119 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 12:05pm

donincognito wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 11:33am:
Gnads wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 11:16am:

No.

Quote:

Because its not blatant discrimination in the job ad does not mean there isnt behind the scenes discrimination going on.

Quote:

Correct.
Quote:

No it isnt.
Quote:

Got a link to prove what you are saying? No, of course not, you dont bother with anything like facts or figures, you just make poo up and pass it of as self evident.
Quote:

Who does? An idiot thats who. I would much prefer to be in bed all night, unless I was receiving adequate compensation.

Quote:
And after 10 years of watching the discrimination in favour of women & others has seen the business going backwards

Corporate profits are at near record highs, how exactly are businesses going backwards?

Quote:
....... with people without any experience or knowledge of the industry being employed as supervisiors/coordinators & managers .... & simply because of their gender, race & sexual preferences.

I know a shitload of male managers, supervisors and and coordinators who couldnt find their ass with an ass finding radar, and just get shuffled from position to position.

Quote:

Except it clearly isnt.

I don't have to quote facts & figures to know what I've seen over 44 years in the same industry.

And yes I've seen mandatory standards required to fill certain jobs within my industry lessened to facilitate quotas aka affirmative action for certain demographics.

You're just a PC leftard who sounds like he's still shyting yellow.

As for corporate profits being at an all time high ... in some areas that maybe ....

but where I work the company is divided into 5 or 6 sectors ...........

& they have been deliberately running down certain sections in favour of others.

Business isn't just business Sol.

Quote:
I know a shitload of male managers, supervisors and and coordinators

Yes that's right & if you read what I wrote you'd see males are in the groups mentioned.

But yes some of the few males employed from outside don't have a clue either. That's not the argument.

As for calling people "idiots" who work in industries that require 24/7 rosters & working in all weathers ..... that about sums you up & your knowledge of the situation.

« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2017 at 12:13pm by Gnads »  

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #120 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 1:34pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 7:48pm:
That's according to the report - still doesn't figure out why women work 76% of the hours men do but suffer under only receiving 76% of the incomes men do... pretty simple really.  If they were all on the same hourly rate it fits perfectly, so where is there discrimination involved?

I know you are stuck on information from the last decade, but we have moved on I swear.

Quote:
How is it 'gender discrimination' that more women generally move into the areas of work that are not as physically strenuous, and unfortunately some of those areas attract lower rates of pay?

You have this notion that high paid jobs involve strenuous activity. Im not denying that that is the case some times, but if you think being an investment banker or board member is in any way strenuous, guess what, you are wrong. also Quote:

Quote:
Are you suggesting there is no discrimination against male nurses in that massively female-dominated environment?  How many top grade nurses are men?
No. But that doesnt mean that women arent massively discriminated against. I agree it would be lovely if noone was discriminated against, and hopefully one day we will get there as a society, but in the mean time, im not going to waste my time arguing men should get a better go when they already get the best go and literally 50% of the population can be helped otherwise, as opposed to a small group in one sector.
Quote:
The fact still remains - nobody gets paid less than the mandated minimum, unless they are working for SeanKey Industries (an offshoot of ripoff Enterprises)...

Noone is arguing that. Well, unless you worked for coles, or 7-11.

Quote:
You simply cannot take into account contracted or negotiated salaries, since those are dependent on many, many factors, the LEAST of which is discrimination. 

Yes we can. Look, they already did. People who studied this as a job looked at it and said "We can control that variable." and so they did. Guess what they came up with?

Quote:
Again - Tom Cruise or Nicole Kidman does not get paid equity rates....... there are clear reasons why that is so, and the same applies in many spheres of work.

Wait, what are those reasons? Why shouldnt a lead actress be paid the same as a lead actor. This one should be a doozy I reckon.

Quote:
How is it discrimination for a woman to take care of a sick child?  That's called... LIFE... and always has been.
Because, generally, there are two parents, a male and a female, and lumping all the cooking, cleaning and caring onto the female, and then expecting her to earn a living as well, is discriminatory.

Quote:
Reports are a dime a dozen and, like Royal Commissions, are rarely called for unless the outcome is already known or desired in advance.

Ok? We know females are discriminated against. We have the facts to back it up, and its all complied in an easy to read report. Why do you have a problem with this?

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #121 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 1:39pm

Gnads wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 12:05pm:
I don't have to quote facts & figures to know what I've seen over 44 years in the same industry.
Your biased and faulty recollections in one industry does not overrule a scientific study into a wide range of industries.

Quote:
And yes I've seen mandatory standards required to fill certain jobs within my industry lessened to facilitate quotas aka affirmative action for certain demographics.
Ok?

Quote:
And your a tory buggerwit who his literally holding back society because you have this notion that you will be left behind because you are a man.

You are wrong.

You will be left behind because you are a deeply unpleasant individual with bugger all redeeming factors.

Quote:
As for corporate profits being at an all time high ... in some areas that maybe ....

https://tradingeconomics.com/australia/corporate-profits
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-27/company-profits-surge-as-wages-fall/8307178
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/company-profits-surge-to-record-highs-as-worker-wages-go-backwards-20170227-gum6tu.html

Quote:

& they have been deliberately running down certain sections in favour of others.

Because it is profitable to do so.

Quote:
Quote:

Yes that's right & if you read what I wrote you'd see males are in the groups mentioned.

But yes some of the few males employed from outside don't have a clue either. That's not the argument.
What is the argument then?

Quote:
As for calling people "idiots" who work in industries that require 24/7 rosters & working in all weathers ..... that about sums you up & your knowledge of the situation.

Im not calling you an idiot because your job requires 24/7 rosters and outdoor work. Im calling you an idiot because you are smacking moron.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #122 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 10:04am

donincognito wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 1:39pm:
Gnads wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 12:05pm:
Your biased and faulty recollections in one industry does not overrule a scientific study into a wide range of industries.

Quote:
Ok?

Quote:
And your a tory buggerwit who his literally holding back society because you have this notion that you will be left behind because you are a man.

You are wrong.

You will be left behind because you are a deeply unpleasant individual with bugger all redeeming factors.

Quote:

https://tradingeconomics.com/australia/corporate-profits
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-27/company-profits-surge-as-wages-fall/8307178
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/company-profits-surge-to-record-highs-as-worker-wages-go-backwards-20170227-gum6tu.html

Quote:

Because it is profitable to do so.

Quote:
Quote:

What is the argument then?

Quote:

Im not calling you an idiot because your job requires 24/7 rosters and outdoor work. Im calling you an idiot because you are smacking nice person.

A great self descriptor for you.

You are a dead set fargin TNUC.

Oh & just because someone doesn't think like a looney leftard like you doesn't make them a Tory.

I'm no Tory

& if you were half as smart as you think you are & a bit more observant you'd have worked that out. Kiss

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #123 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 10:48am

donincognito wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 4:39pm:

Roll Eyes

No.

Year nine maths, innit?

That's ridiculous.

Again, 50/50 quotas.

Many companies have them.

One 50 represents women.

See if you can figure out what the other 50 represents.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print