Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
Myths busted on the gender pay gap (Read 8711 times)
donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Myths busted on the gender pay gap
Reply #120 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 1:34pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 7:48pm:
That's according to the report - still doesn't figure out why women work 76% of the hours men do but suffer under only receiving 76% of the incomes men do... pretty simple really.  If they were all on the same hourly rate it fits perfectly, so where is there discrimination involved?

I know you are stuck on information from the last decade, but we have moved on I swear.

Quote:
How is it 'gender discrimination' that more women generally move into the areas of work that are not as physically strenuous, and unfortunately some of those areas attract lower rates of pay?

You have this notion that high paid jobs involve strenuous activity. Im not denying that that is the case some times, but if you think being an investment banker or board member is in any way strenuous, guess what, you are wrong. also Quote:
Women are not “choosing” to work in lower paying industries but, when large numbers of women start to work in an industry, they all get paid less. As Rhaina Cohen explained in an article in the Atlantic:

A study [by the sociologists Asaf Levanon, Paula England, and Paul Allison], which examined census data from 1950 to 2000, found that, when women enter an occupation in large numbers, that job begins to pay less, even after controlling for a range of factors like skill, race and geography. Their analysis found evidence of “devaluation” – that a higher proportion of women in an occupation leads to lower pay because of the discounting of work performed by women.

So, in other words: 50 years of data proved that the more women join an industry the less everyone gets paid.

If that’s not convincing enough, Cohen also pointed to a study showing that higher the percentage of women in an industry the lower its perceived “prestige”; and a study from 2007 that found that even where men’s low-wage jobs demand far less in terms of skill, education and certifications than women’s low-wage jobs, the male-dominated ones usually command higher hourly pay.

Quote:
Are you suggesting there is no discrimination against male nurses in that massively female-dominated environment?  How many top grade nurses are men?
No. But that doesnt mean that women arent massively discriminated against. I agree it would be lovely if noone was discriminated against, and hopefully one day we will get there as a society, but in the mean time, im not going to waste my time arguing men should get a better go when they already get the best go and literally 50% of the population can be helped otherwise, as opposed to a small group in one sector.
Quote:
The fact still remains - nobody gets paid less than the mandated minimum, unless they are working for SeanKey Industries (an offshoot of ripoff Enterprises)...

Noone is arguing that. Well, unless you worked for coles, or 7-11.

Quote:
You simply cannot take into account contracted or negotiated salaries, since those are dependent on many, many factors, the LEAST of which is discrimination. 

Yes we can. Look, they already did. People who studied this as a job looked at it and said "We can control that variable." and so they did. Guess what they came up with?

Quote:
Again - Tom Cruise or Nicole Kidman does not get paid equity rates....... there are clear reasons why that is so, and the same applies in many spheres of work.

Wait, what are those reasons? Why shouldnt a lead actress be paid the same as a lead actor. This one should be a doozy I reckon.

Quote:
How is it discrimination for a woman to take care of a sick child?  That's called... LIFE... and always has been.
Because, generally, there are two parents, a male and a female, and lumping all the cooking, cleaning and caring onto the female, and then expecting her to earn a living as well, is discriminatory.

Quote:
Reports are a dime a dozen and, like Royal Commissions, are rarely called for unless the outcome is already known or desired in advance.

Ok? We know females are discriminated against. We have the facts to back it up, and its all complied in an easy to read report. Why do you have a problem with this?

IP Logged

donincognito
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #121 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 1:39pm

Gnads wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 12:05pm:
I don't have to quote facts & figures to know what I've seen over 44 years in the same industry.
Your biased and faulty recollections in one industry does not overrule a scientific study into a wide range of industries.

Quote:
And yes I've seen mandatory standards required to fill certain jobs within my industry lessened to facilitate quotas aka affirmative action for certain demographics.
Ok?

Quote:
You're just a PC leftard who sounds like he's still shyting yellow.
And your a tory buggerwit who his literally holding back society because you have this notion that you will be left behind because you are a man.

You are wrong.

You will be left behind because you are a deeply unpleasant individual with bugger all redeeming factors.

Quote:
As for corporate profits being at an all time high ... in some areas that maybe ....

https://tradingeconomics.com/australia/corporate-profits
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-27/company-profits-surge-as-wages-fall/8307178
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/company-profits-surge-to-record-highs-as-worker-wages-go-backwards-20170227-gum6tu.html

Quote:
but where I work the company is divided into 5 or 6 sectors ...........

& they have been deliberately running down certain sections in favour of others.

Because it is profitable to do so.

Quote:
Quote:
I know a shitload of male managers, supervisors and and coordinators

Yes that's right & if you read what I wrote you'd see males are in the groups mentioned.

But yes some of the few males employed from outside don't have a clue either. That's not the argument.
What is the argument then?

Quote:
As for calling people "idiots" who work in industries that require 24/7 rosters & working in all weathers ..... that about sums you up & your knowledge of the situation.

Im not calling you an idiot because your job requires 24/7 rosters and outdoor work. Im calling you an idiot because you are smacking moron.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #122 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 10:04am

donincognito wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 1:39pm:
Gnads wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 12:05pm:
I don't have to quote facts & figures to know what I've seen over 44 years in the same industry.
Your biased and faulty recollections in one industry does not overrule a scientific study into a wide range of industries.

Quote:
And yes I've seen mandatory standards required to fill certain jobs within my industry lessened to facilitate quotas aka affirmative action for certain demographics.
Ok?

Quote:
You're just a PC leftard who sounds like he's still shyting yellow.
And your a tory buggerwit who his literally holding back society because you have this notion that you will be left behind because you are a man.

You are wrong.

You will be left behind because you are a deeply unpleasant individual with bugger all redeeming factors.

Quote:
As for corporate profits being at an all time high ... in some areas that maybe ....

https://tradingeconomics.com/australia/corporate-profits
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-27/company-profits-surge-as-wages-fall/8307178
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/company-profits-surge-to-record-highs-as-worker-wages-go-backwards-20170227-gum6tu.html

Quote:
but where I work the company is divided into 5 or 6 sectors ...........

& they have been deliberately running down certain sections in favour of others.

Because it is profitable to do so.

Quote:
Quote:
I know a shitload of male managers, supervisors and and coordinators

Yes that's right & if you read what I wrote you'd see males are in the groups mentioned.

But yes some of the few males employed from outside don't have a clue either. That's not the argument.
What is the argument then?

Quote:
As for calling people "idiots" who work in industries that require 24/7 rosters & working in all weathers ..... that about sums you up & your knowledge of the situation.

Im not calling you an idiot because your job requires 24/7 rosters and outdoor work. Im calling you an idiot because you are smacking nice person.

A great self descriptor for you.

You are a dead set fargin TNUC.

Oh & just because someone doesn't think like a looney leftard like you doesn't make them a Tory.

I'm no Tory

& if you were half as smart as you think you are & a bit more observant you'd have worked that out. Kiss

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #123 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 10:48am

donincognito wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 4:39pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 4:05pm:
donincognito wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 4:00pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 3:58pm:
donincognito wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 3:56pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 3:38pm:
donincognito wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 2:08pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 1:33pm:
If that's who the employer wants, that's who'll they employ.

You can't tell an employer who to hire.

Yes you can. You set a quota. Thats sort of the point.

"Mark was clearly more qualified than Karen, and he has 10 years experience in a similar position, whereas Karen has no experience with this kind of work at all."

"However, we are well under our quota of females employees so I'll be giving the job to Karen".

"It doesn't matter that our clients will suffer, and that it will take months to train Karen up to an acceptable standard".

"It's the quota that matters".

Roll Eyes

So you automatically assume that women have no experience in the field and will take months to get up to speed? Thats a pretty dim view of half of the population.

No.

That was just one example.

Here's another one, equally ridiculous.

"Julie was clearly more qualified than Greg, and she has 10 years experience in a similar position, whereas Greg has no experience with this kind of work at all."

"However, we are well under our quota of male employees so I'll be giving the job to Greg".

"It doesn't matter that our clients will suffer, and that it will take months to train Greg up to an acceptable standard".

"It's the quota that matters".

Ridiculous for a completely different reason though. Noone is calling for male quotas because males are already over represented.

A 50/50 quota means half men, and half women.

Year nine maths, innit?

If a company with a 50/50 quota has too many women, it's going to start hiring men (based on their genitals and not on their ability).

That's ridiculous.

Just as ridiculous as hiring women just because they are women.

Again, noone is calling for quotas for males, because males are already over-represented in positions of power.

Stop building up a strawman. Noone is buying that argument.

Again, 50/50 quotas.

Many companies have them.

One 50 represents women.

See if you can figure out what the other 50 represents.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print