Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Members Top 10 Movie Lists. (Read 6768 times)
Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Re: Members Top 10 Movie Lists.
Reply #30 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 1:36am

Jasin wrote on Jul 20th, 2017 at 12:56am:
I liked the original Planet of the Apes series. I love a story that can turn back on itself.

Yes.

Well, the first two were great and then it went downhill (not to mention absurd) from there on.

For example, I still haven't seen a convincing explanation of how the apes managed to find, raise, repair and fly Taylor's (Charlton Heston) spaceship back to the 20th century in Escape From The Planet Of The Apes.

It crashed and sank in the inland sea at the start of the first movie.

Even Taylor and his two surviving crewmen admitted they were there to stay as they were rowing away in a liferaft after the ship sank out of sight.

And, it definitely wasn't Brent's (James Franciscus) ship from the second movie Beneath The Planet Of The Apes because that one crashed on land and was totally burnt out and destroyed.

The "real" explanation, of course, is that the movie studio decided they were on a bit of a money spinner after the success of the first two movies and wanted to make a third. But, with all life on earth wiped out by the "doomsday bomb" at the end of the second movie they had to come up with an idea to continue the series which personally I thought was pretty lame.
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2017 at 1:55am by Carl D »  

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #31 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 1:26pm

Carl D wrote on Jul 20th, 2017 at 1:36am:
Jasin wrote on Jul 20th, 2017 at 12:56am:
I liked the original Planet of the Apes series. I love a story that can turn back on itself.

Yes.

Well, the first two were great and then it went downhill (not to mention absurd) from there on.

For example, I still haven't seen a convincing explanation of how the apes managed to find, raise, repair and fly Taylor's (Charlton Heston) spaceship back to the 20th century in Escape From The Planet Of The Apes.

It crashed and sank in the inland sea at the start of the first movie.

Even Taylor and his two surviving crewmen admitted they were there to stay as they were rowing away in a liferaft after the ship sank out of sight.

And, it definitely wasn't Brent's (James Franciscus) ship from the second movie Beneath The Planet Of The Apes because that one crashed on land and was totally burnt out and destroyed.

The "real" explanation, of course, is that the movie studio decided they were on a bit of a money spinner after the success of the first two movies and wanted to make a third. But, with all life on earth wiped out by the "doomsday bomb" at the end of the second movie they had to come up with an idea to continue the series which personally I thought was pretty lame.

You have a very good point there Carl. I never thought of that. Reckoned you just ruined it for me now  Grin if I watch it again.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 1:32pm

Best movie ever is "the Godfather'.

All three in the trilogy are good but the first is my favourite.
I also like movies directed by Quentin Tarantino. Kill Bill series and Pulp Fiction, Django, Reservoir dogs stand out but there are many more

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #33 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 2:41pm

My 'theory' on the Alien movies: All the movies reflect the characters of the original crew of the Nostromo.

Alien (1): the original movie that was original in many ways, even the way it was made. The 'making of' is a very good watch. This movie was like KANE (John Hurt) - it 'burst' onto the scene much like the Chest Bursting scene and we all had to 'take a look' in the Cinemas - just like Kane had to take a look inside that crashed Alien spaceship.

Aliens (2): This 'mass-slaughter' of Company military verses masses of Aliens after they wiped out a mass of human colonists is a 'shoot em up' effort. This reflects DALLAS (Tom Skerritt) who was the only 'military' assigned (Captain) of the Nostromo. Who also went into the air ducts to 'hunt down' the Alien with his flamethrower. Ripley also used a flamethrower in the Aliens movie.

Alien (3): Originally supposed to be a group of Monks, changed to criminals on a remote useless planet. All about the 'lowest' of Society, which BRETT (Harry Dean Stanton) was on the Crew. Thus he met his end in the 'dungeon' of the bowels of the Nostromo with the chains dangling. For those 'down there' who give up on hope.

Alien Resurrection (4): the most disliked movie of them all. It's about 'bio-engineering' (Ripley as a hybrid clone) and 'Androids' (Winona Ryder) and this brings the character of ASH (Ian Holm) into question on the original film and he betrays for Company orders.

AVP's (5) Aliens V Predators: These spin-off movies did well and kinda sum up PARKER (Yaphet Kotto). Big Predators with Dreadlocks give it that 'African' hunter feel and with Parker being the 'stand detached' token Black Man on the Nostromo crew that actually tries to physical take on the Alien.

Prometheus/Covenant (6): These movies sum up the character of LAMBERT ( Veronica Cartwright) and how the Company 'betrays' those who put their faith in it ("Liar" she yells at her death). Veronica received an Academy Award for her 'real' act of freaking out at the chest-bursting scene (because she was unaware of what was going to happen). I wouldn't be surprised if Covenant or its sequel gets an Award.

These are just slim pickings and I'm sure there are more 'coincidental' things associated with each one. But I'm pretty sure - that these movies are much like the characters of the original crew or a reflection of.

Which brings me to Alien (7) movie or movies that have to reflect the character of RIPLEY (Sigourney Weaver) herself.
The twist of this is that Ripley is the one character that doesn't die in the original movie - the Alien dies.
With a series that has been pushed by fans to continue on - will this truly be the 'End' of the Alien franchise? If so, it should go out with a blast.
I wonder if Sigourney Weaver would Direct it herself? Giving it that 'Ripley' flavour that the world came to admire of a very real 'female heroine' without far-fetched super powers.

The Alien movie and its following series of movies are a good watch and the original crew of characters were 'original' in their 'every day' normal people setting - flaws and all. The movies themselves have been much like.

So, will Alien 7 be just as amazing as the character of Ripley (after the next Covenant 2/Lambert movie is made)? Will the Aliens be gone for good?

The suspense is ...killing me!  Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #34 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 10:22pm

My intention is to watch all the 100 best movies for men.

https://content.artofmanliness.com/uploads/100mustseemovies.pdf

There are a lot of movies on the list that I have seen. But there are movies that I have yet to watch.

After going through that list, I would like to read (over a long period of time) the 100 books men must read.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #35 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 10:28pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 20th, 2017 at 10:22pm:
My intention is to watch all the 100 best movies for men.

https://content.artofmanliness.com/uploads/100mustseemovies.pdf

There are a lot of movies on the list that I have seen. But there are movies that I have yet to watch.

After going through that list, I would like to read (over a long period of time) the 100 books men must read.

Usually movies with half naked Gladiators is a good start.
Grin

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #36 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:23am

"Ever seen a grown man naked?..."

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #37 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:49am

UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:23am:

Heaps! I've even nude modelled for others myself.  Wink

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #38 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 2:20am

Jasin wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:49am:
UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:23am:

Heaps! I've even nude modelled for others myself.  Wink

Not, that was part of the movie, what I quoted.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 7:17am

apocalypto
unforgiven
book of eli
drive
legends of the fall
mad max
bourne identity
secretariat
crouching tiger , hidden dragon
the thin red line

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #40 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:30am

Duel

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #41 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:40am

aquascoot wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 7:17am:
apocalypto
unforgiven
book of eli
drive
legends of the fall
mad max
bourne identity
secretariat
crouching tiger , hidden dragon
the thin red line

Hey that's a good list Aquascoot. I just watched Apocalypto recently and it was awesome. Showed me that 'city' people in the Southern Hemisphere is where the trouble starts. Just like Sydney  Wink

Lord Herbert. That DUEL looks great. I reckon Tarantino ripped that one off with his 'girls v Kurt Russell' movie (which I didn't think much of). The thing I like about older movies is that they seem more realistic without relying on special effects.
Do you have a Top 10 list?

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:48am

All the Bruce Lee movies
Taxi Driver
Rocky, the original.
Cinderella man
Raging Bull.
Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy.
The Green Mile.
Silence of the Lambs
One flew over the Cuckoos nest
Gaslight

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:56am

Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas
Apocalypse Now
Mad Max
Full Metal Jacket
Godfather
The Changeling (ghost movie)
House Of A 1,000 Corpses (Rob Zombie movie
Prince Of Darkness  (John Carpenter)
Clockwork Orange
Blade Runner

There's probably others I'd put in but can't remember them at this time. Cheers guys.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #44 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 11:00am

rhino wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:48am:
All the Bruce Lee movies
Taxi Driver
Rocky, the original.
Cinderella man
Raging Bull.
Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy.
The Green Mile.
Silence of the Lambs
One flew over the Cuckoos nest
Gaslight

Another good list! Yes - 'series' of Movies is allowed. Well done  Wink Chuck Norris might be a 'man' - but Bruce Lee was a Demi God! You love your Boxing/Martial Arts movie and Rocky is a Classic. Do you know the story behind how Rocky came to be? It was placed as the intro to the World's all-time best literature because it was a good example of personal victory even though the aim was not won.
Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - well what can you say about imagination and wit like that. Reckon GregPecs is Zaphod !
I don't know Gaslight. I will look it up.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print