Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Libs give foxtel $30m ... can't say why (Read 2903 times)
Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Re: Libs give foxtel $30m ... can't say why
Reply #30 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 6:13pm

Yeah, the Libs anxious to give Merde-och more money, forget they have their own broadcaster.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #31 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 6:45pm

Must be refund of a donation....

Why not give it to Free To Air so the peasants can watch it? 
(I do anyway, on an English site... online so not quite the best pixels etc... but it works)...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Swagman
Gold Member

Beware of cheap imitations......

Illawarra NSW
Reply #32 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 6:52pm

$30 million to purchase political correctness......

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 8:09pm

Quote:
Libs give foxtel $30m ... can'twon't say why

Fixed it for you.

Government declines to explain Foxtel's $30m handout for sports broadcasting
Quote:
The federal government has given Foxtel a $30m handout to boost its sports broadcasting but has declined to explain why the News Corp-owned pay TV company was singled out for largesse – or exactly how or where the money will be used.

In the May budget, Foxtel was gifted $30m over four years to “support the broadcast of underrepresented sports on subscription television, including women’s sports, niche sports, and sports with a high level of community involvement and participation”.

But there has been no further explanation from either Foxtel or the government about how the subscription broadcaster will use the funds over the next two years.

A freedom of information request, submitted by the ABC, about the unusual budget deal came up with no answers.

The Department of Communications and the Arts told the ABC there were no documents associated with the grant.

The communications minister, Mitch Fifield, also declined to explain the deal on Wednesday, except to say it was part of the media reform package.

“This was a decision of government, announced in the budget as part of the media reform package,” a spokeswoman told Guardian Australia.

“The department’s FOI process is independent of the minister.”

Under the broadcasting and content reform package the government provided $36m over four years from 2017-18, including $30m for Foxtel.

The legal director for the department refused access to the ABC’s requested documents under subsection 24A(1) of the FOI Act because he was “satisfied that documents falling within the scope of your request do not exist”, according to Jon Faine’s ABC Melbourne Radio program.

The commercial free-to-air TV industry did not receive an equivalent gift but the government did abolish its licence fees in the May budget. The move, which saw broadcasting licence fees and datacasting charges abolished, will save them $130m and was welcomed by Nine, Ten and Seven.

Fifield said licence fees were being abolished because they were from an era when television had a mass audience.

“In today’s media environment, licence fees are a relic of a bygone age of regulation,” he said.

The media reform package also included changes to Australia’s anti-siphoning regime to reduce the size of the list. The scheme stops pay TV broadcasters such as Foxtel from buying the rights to sports events on the anti-siphoning list before free-to-air broadcasters have the opportunity to buy the rights.

Foxtel has been approached for comment.

Just one of the "deals" this government has made that must be investigated by a Federal ICAC when Labor establishes it in 2019.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 8:10pm

Bam wrote on Jul 19th, 2017 at 8:09pm:
Just one of the "deals" this government has made that must be investigated by a Federal ICAC when Labor establishes it in 2019.

I bloody well hope so. This government has been atrocious.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #35 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 8:33pm

John Smith wrote on Jul 19th, 2017 at 11:32am:
Lisa Jones wrote on Jul 19th, 2017 at 11:29am:
It was detailed in this year's Budget.

Here is an extract.....

"The government’s reform package also includes $30 million over four years to help subscription TV networks screen women’s sports and niche sports which are less popular."

you don't hand over $30m in tax dollars to a private company just because it says so in the budget. Every dollar spent by govt. is allocated in the budget, and yet every dollar spent has some sort of agreement or contract attached to it ..... except this $30m

Where are the details? what what are we paying $30m for?

How can anyone know it will be spent on these sports when their is no documentation to say what is was really granted for? I would think that it is 100% un-auditable, just a present.

Just as well they still haven't started good government yet.

They would not have been able to get away rubbish like this had they considered themselves accountable to even the lowest standards.
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2017 at 8:40pm by Dnarever »  

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #36 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 8:47pm

Here is an extract.....

"The government’s reform package also includes $30 million over four years to help subscription TV networks screen women’s sports and niche sports which are less popular."

Good work!  Smiley

You justify expenditure and then pay for it in the budget. You do not spend the money in the budget and then justify it later.

IP Logged

Alinta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #37 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 8:58pm

"....seeking correspondence and documents relating to the formulation of the measure"

Pls, would someone enlighten me further on what this actually means ????

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #38 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 9:30pm

Alinta wrote on Jul 19th, 2017 at 8:58pm:
"....seeking correspondence and documents relating to the formulation of the measure"

Pls, would someone enlighten me further on what this actually means ????

There will be a planning process that will be documented, there with be documented meetings email exchanges some type of application process probably contracts discussions. There will be work done by treasury to project the value for money outcome based on this information (cost benefit).
In this case there is nothing, it appeared in the budget but there is no document trail, no decision-making process no meetings no emails no contract no application. It just magically happened.

Someone said heads Foxtel or tails Alinta ?  You went {!} that close to $30 Mill from the government.

IP Logged

Swagman
Gold Member

Beware of cheap imitations......

Illawarra NSW
Reply #39 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 9:39pm

....a bit ironic that the ABC are moaning about a broadcaster receiving taxpayer funds?  Cheesy

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #40 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 9:42pm

Dnarever wrote on Jul 19th, 2017 at 8:47pm:

Here is an extract.....

Good work!  Smiley

You justify expenditure and then pay for it in the budget. You do not spend the money in the budget and then justify it later.

I thought market forces would generate interest and watching of  (gasps) women's and niche sports ... those are so entertaining to the average sports lover that they simply can't NOT watch them, so the money would flow....

I ALWAYS wanted to watch the live Gay Hop-Scotch World Cup.....

Why not give that funding to the ABC or SBS to promote these 'fringe' things?  More cost effective, surely, than handing Foxtel shareholders a neat package wrapped in a brown paper bag?

(I've watched women's NRL and AFL and let me tell you - some of those girls are pretty damned good... and I don't mind watching it.... for free.. my niece's daughter is a damned good soccer player and I once said to her she might one day be the Socceroos coach - no joke - she'd have to do better with NRL though - surely she could coach the NSW SOO better... Jayzuz - I could...)....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Francis
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 7:05pm

Really...30 million isn't that much to buy the entire News Ltd Medias support Lips Sealed

I particularly love its to go to fund "sport" ...the cheapest thing in the entire world to broadcast Grin

They wouldn't spend it on Drama or entertainment. That would involve paying actors and writers and building sets.

With "sport" they can basically send a drone over for less than a $100 and the rest goes straight into news ltd profit Tongue

I can guarantee news ltd will not be investigating how the deal was struck  Lips Sealed
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2017 at 8:40pm by Francis »  

No tenemos miedo!

IP Logged

Francis
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 7:34pm

Really 30 million of other ppl money is a good deal too ensure nothing but good publicly

No tenemos miedo!

IP Logged

stunspore
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 9:05pm

Wonder how many votes that buys.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #44 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 9:06pm

stunspore wrote on Jul 23rd, 2017 at 9:05pm:
Wonder how many votes that buys.

1 - Murdochs.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print