Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Send Topic Print
redefining freedom of speech (Read 8582 times)
John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: redefining freedom of speech
Reply #60 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 2:08pm

Aussie wrote on Jul 18th, 2017 at 1:57pm:
Last night on Q&A, Matt Canavan said it was naughty of her to link what is identified respectfully with Australian Armed forces with bad stuff in the Land of Arabs.

and at the same time he defended Turnbull using fully armed and kitted special forces troops, complete with face masks, for a photo op.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #61 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 4:10pm

Watch this.

FD, do you believe the evil Moslem Zacky Mallah should be free to post on Twitter that Miranda Divine could benefit from a bit of a gang-bang?

I'm curious. I'm keen to hear your view on this important topic.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #62 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 4:11pm

John Smith wrote on Jul 18th, 2017 at 2:08pm:
Last night on Q&A, Matt Canavan said it was naughty of her to link what is identified respectfully with Australian Armed forces with bad stuff in the Land of Arabs.

and at the same time he defended Turnbull using fully armed and kitted special forces troops, complete with face masks, for a photo op.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Freeeedom, innit.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #63 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 6:30pm

John Smith wrote on Jul 18th, 2017 at 12:41pm:
I guess that depends on where you draw the line. If she says something idiotic then she deserves to be called an idiot. I have no problem with idiot. However lets not pretend this is about calling her an idiot. Why do you ingore the calls for her to be killed or raped?

Because I suspect you made it all up, and because you ignored it to, until you needed somewhere to backpedal to.

Prior to that it was all about blaming Islamophobia for your ignorance of whether her critics were also criticising other ANZAC tweets, proclaiming your ignorance of and disinterest in all the stupid things she has said and done, and accusing me of Islamophobia for reasons you appear to also be ignorant of. Apparently you think whether it "looks like Islamophobia" is a substitute for knowing what you are talking about.

So where do you draw the line? After all, this is your made-up right we are talking about. Does Yassmin have the right to not be called an idiot every time she says something stupid? What else does she have the right to not have said?

John Smith wrote on Jul 18th, 2017 at 12:41pm:
freediver wrote on Jul 18th, 2017 at 12:33pm:
What else does she have the right to not have said?

does that make sense to you FD?

No John. I agree that it is idiotic to suggest Yassmin has a right to not have things said about her. Yet that is what you are saying.

Quote:
As always with Effendi, the discussion gets bogged down and a mile away from where it began.

It began with John frantically backpedaling on his claim that Yassmin has some kind of right not to be "vilified" for the stupid things she does and says, and her hysterical victimhood mongering since. It has not gone anywhere.

Quote:
Is this woman stupid.  No, she is not.

Did she say anything stupid.  No, she did not.  She did make a remark she later apologised for concerning "Lest We Forget."  She had no need to apologise.  Last night on Q&A, Matt Canavan said it was naughty of her to link what is identified respectfully with Australian Armed forces with bad stuff in the Land of Arabs.  Rubbish.  There is a clear current link. 

Our Armed Forces are there right now destroying lives and turning big rocks into little rocks.

What has any of that got to do with Islamophobia?

If it was not a stupid thing to say, why did she apologise for it?

How stupid would someone have to be to misuse public money to fund their tour of the middle east to promote their new book, then take that opportunity, standing on the doorstep of the middle east's newly resurgent sex slave industry at the hands of another Islamic state, to declare to the world that Islam is the most feminist of all religions? Perhaps she thought no-one would notice?

How stupid would someone have to be to refuse to take responsibility for their tanking public image and flee the country in the middle of a drawn out session of hysterical victimhood mongering, Islamophobia blaming and general attention whoring?
« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2017 at 6:39pm by freediver »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #64 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 6:39pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Jul 18th, 2017 at 4:11pm:
John Smith wrote on Jul 18th, 2017 at 2:08pm:

Freeeedom, innit.

You two would be squealing just as loudly if Turnbull did NOT announce that fully armed special forces were now allowed to assist in hostage sieges.

You would squeal indignantly, no matter what, you two little piggies.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #65 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 6:42pm

Frank wrote on Jul 18th, 2017 at 2:06pm:
The Islamic understanding of freedom of speech is explained:

Abstract

This paper examines the concept of the Islamic Perspective of Human Rights and Freedom of Expression as mentioned in the verses of the Quran. Freedom of expression today is almost exclusively a global phenomenon. Freedom exists in the sense that everyone can freely express his or her opinion as a prerequisite of fundamental human rights. Methodologically, the core differences between the Universal and Islamic understanding of freedom of expression are explained. This paper adopts a content analysis approach and argues that freedom in the Quran is natural, and it supersedes any earthly laws and instructions. Yet what is a human right for the Western world and constitutes a state law can be a crime for others. In Islam, nothing that questions its claims to truth may be publicly expressed. This paper will attempt to offer an analytical approach to confirm Islamic perspective and the innate phenomenon of freedom of expression and human rights.
https://www.omicsgroup.org/journals/freedom-of-expression-from-the-islamic-persp...

There is the long and the short of it.

I do not want any ideology or religion that forbids its own critical examination. It is abhorrent.

I recall now that Abu made a valiant attempt at redefining freedom of speech. According to him, the death penalty for apostasy etc is merely a "different take" on freedom. He would happily tell people that Islam absolutely supports freedom, and the apologists would gobble it up.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #66 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 6:49pm

freediver wrote on Jul 18th, 2017 at 6:30pm:
Because I suspect you made it all up, and because you ignored it to, until you needed somewhere to backpedal to.

Made it up?  Grin Grin Grin
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/jul/12/conservative-commentator-...

or

or

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/yassmin-abdelmagied-i-feel-a-little-bit-bet...

Now who's ignoring the facts Cheesy Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #67 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 6:51pm

You also said she was a nobody John Smith.

Does Yassmin have the right to not be called an idiot every time she says something stupid? What else does she have the right to not have said?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #68 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 6:51pm

Quote:
If it was not a stupid thing to say, why did she apologise for it?

Ask her.  Maybe she did not think on her feet quickly enough as there was no need for her to apologise.  She was right, and she used a sensitive nerve to make her point.

Quote:
How stupid would someone have to be to misuse public money to fund their tour of the middle east to promote their new book, then take that opportunity, standing on the doorstep of the middle east's newly resurgent sex slave industry at the hands of another Islamic state, to declare to the world that Islam is the most feminist of all religions? Perhaps she thought no-one would notice?

Stuffed if I can see how she mis-used public money, and if she has a view about feminism, so what.  Disagree with her point of view as much as you like.

Quote:
How stupid would someone have to be to refuse to take responsibility for their tanking public image and flee the country in the middle of a drawn out session of hysterical victimhood mongering, Islamophobia blaming and general attention whoring?

Tanking public image was it, or outright and remorseless mob mentality personal harassment?  Perhaps there was only so much rank and arrogant stupidity she could tolerate.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #69 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 6:55pm

Frank wrote on Jul 18th, 2017 at 6:39pm:
You two would be squealing just as loudly if Turnbull did NOT announce that fully armed special forces were now allowed to assist in hostage sieges.

If you bothered to read the other thread you'd see I agreed with letting the army in. But as is typical of you, you miss the point. Turnbull didn't need to fly to Holsworthy and get the special forces guys to kit up with full weapons to announce this. He could have done so just as easily from his office in Canberra.
If you're going to criticise someone for using the boys in the army to further their cause, at least be consistent.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #70 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 6:57pm

freediver wrote on Jul 18th, 2017 at 6:51pm:

Does Yassmin have the right to not be called an idiot every time she says something stupid? What else does she have the right to not have said?

for me she's a nobody FD. I don't think of many public figures, and I do it all the time. DO you spend your nights worrying about what they all say and do? If so, then when do you sleep?

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #71 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 7:02pm

Quote:
Ask her.  Maybe she did not think on her feet quickly enough as there was no need for her to apologise.

I see. She didn't apologise because she said something stupid. She apologised because she was too stupid to realise she did not actually need to apologise. Well done Aussie. She's not stupid, just a little slow on her feet....

Quote:
Stuffed if I can see how she mis-used public money, and if she has a view about feminism, so what.  Disagree with her point of view as much as you like.

Yes Aussie, that is what we are doing. John thinks it is Islamophobia and a violation of her rights.

Do you think this is a fair caricature? John won't say. I don't think he has figured out who it is yet.

Quote:
Tanking public image was it, or outright and remorseless mob mentality personal harassment?

She was a public figure who made a series of stupid gaffs while on a publicity generating tour, then started hysterically blaming everyone but herself, blaming Islamophobia for her own stupidity, claiming victimhood, generally being even more of an attention whore.

Quote:
Perhaps there was only so much rank and arrogant stupidity she could tolerate.

So it is everyone else's fault except for Yassmin, even when she makes the mistake of apologising when she did nothing wrong?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #72 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 7:04pm

John Smith wrote on Jul 18th, 2017 at 6:57pm:
freediver wrote on Jul 18th, 2017 at 6:51pm:

for me she's a nobody FD. I don't think of many public figures, and I do it all the time. DO you spend your nights worrying about what they all say and do? If so, then when do you sleep?

You included someone saying she was a nobody as an example of vilification. Yet you said the same thing.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #73 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 7:07pm

freediver wrote on Jul 18th, 2017 at 7:04pm:
You included someone saying she was a nobody as an example of vilification. Yet you said the same thing.

why must you twist what people say and lie about it? If you can't make your point without doing so, you probably don't have a valid point.  Even Aussie explained to you where you went wrong with that and still you keep it up

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #74 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 7:11pm

Whatever Yassmin said or didn't say, she has in no way deserved the treatment she has received.

Anyone not vociferously condemning the vile, abusive, hate-filled threats and intimidation that has beenheaped upon her is no champion of freedom of speech.

As i teach my children, when you resort to foulness, you not only forfeit the right to be heard, you hand your opponent the win.

Yassmin, to any reasonable person, has come out of this the victor. Whatever she has said or done that is not ideal pales in comparison to the treatment she has received.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Send Topic Print