Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 17
Send Topic Print
Islamophobia is still raising its ugly head in Aus (Read 16930 times)
mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Islamophobia is still raising its ugly head in Aus
Jul 11th, 2017 at 10:42am

Islamophobia is still raising its ugly head in Australia

The existence and scale of Islamophobia in Australia has been hotly debated. While Muslims insist it is real and of significant scale, it has been either denied or downplayed in wider circles.

The main reason why Islamophobia has not been taken seriously could be due to the lack of quality data on the issue. Most research to date focused on surveys conducted on the negative sentiments of non-Muslims. But our new study reports on actual Islamophobic incidents, and stands to change how Islamophobia is viewed in Australia.

The report is based on 243 cases of verified Islamophobic incidents collected over 14 months in 2014-15. In this respect, this is the first study of its kind anywhere in the world.

Acquiring data on Islamophobic incidents has been notoriously difficult, as Muslims are generally averse to reporting and there were no safe avenues to turn to until the Islamophobia Register of Australia was established in 2014. In the first two weeks of the register, 33 incidents were reported. It is safe to assume that the 243 reports are only the tip of the iceberg.

The simplest definition of Islamophobia is the special form of racism revealing “indiscriminate negative attitudes or emotions directed at Islam and Muslims”. An Islamophobic incident is any act comprising of abusive hatred, vilification and violence inflicted on Muslims going about their daily lives.

The report verified incidents by contacting people involved and checking facts and analysed and classified them as online or offline, levels of severity, where and how they happened, the vulnerability of victims, nature of the abuse, and its impact on victims.

Key findings of the report

Women, especially those with Islamic head covering (79.6% of the female victims), have been the main targets of Islamophobia. One-in-three female victims had their children with them at the time of the reported incident.

One woman said:

Her voice got louder so I’m not sure if they started to follow me on foot, but once I entered the medical centre on Pitt Street, I didn’t hear or see anything else from them. I am 19 weeks pregnant and have never felt so afraid/vulnerable in my life … I thought they were going to physically try harming my daughter and I. There were lots of passers-by who didn’t come to my aid …

Of the perpetrators, 98% were identified by those who reported it as ethnically Anglo-Celtic. Perpetrators were three times more likely to be male. While lone males were more likely to be the perpetrator, lone Muslim women tended to be the victims.

After verbal threats and assaults, physical harassment was the second highest category of incidents (29.6%). Most reported physical assaults occurred in New South Wales (60%) and Victoria (26.7%). Queensland was notably high considering the relative small population of Muslims in that state.

Of the in-person Islamophobic attacks, 48% occurred in crowded spaces that were frequented daily – shopping centres and train stations were the most common.

I was walking with my head down and a group of young males yelled out “ISIS BITCH”, “go back to where you came from” and snickered and said “shh or she’ll behead you”. And followed me down the street. None of the train staff helped me out or stopped them.

This is expected, as Muslims are more likely to encounter Islamophobes in crowded public places. What is worrying is that the attacks occur in front of children and large number of bystanders, risking the normalisation of Islamophobia.

Further, nobody intervened in 75% of the reported incidents, even though half the incidents occurred in crowded public places. Encouragingly, though, one-in-four public incidents received intervention by non-Muslims, and interestingly non-Muslims constituted about 25% of the witness reporters. Said one witness:

Today I witnessed two males around late 40s or so verbally abusing a group of around six ladies wearing headscarves, with their children … one of the men was yelling at them “it’s your own smacking fault, you’re not wanted here” … I asked the women if they were OK, a couple of them nodded at me and smiled shyly.
Online incidents were characterised by severe expression of hatred and vilification and wanting to harm Muslims. Of the 132 online incidents, 37% targeted individuals by name, and in 51.4% threatened to harm the target.

In one case, a perpetrator wrote about a Muslim childcare in Perth:

Wait till it’s full n burn the joint down. Filthy scumbags.

There was a correlation between a rise of Islamophobic incidents with public protests, debate on legislation affecting Muslims, sieges and terror attacks, irrespective of whether they occurred in Australia or abroad. Significantly, terrorism was explicitly referred to in only 11% of incidents.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Islamophobia is still raising its ugly head in Aus
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2017 at 10:43am

Responding to the report

There are three possible responses to the report.

The first is to explain Islamophobia as the unfortunate outcome of international conflicts, threat of terrorism, and radicalisation. While this approach may seem to explain the rise of Islamophobia, it shifts the blame to victims: innocent ordinary Australian Muslims.

The reality is that victims have nothing to do with international conflicts, terrorism or radicalisation. They are simply at the receiving end of the anger and rage caused by the Islamophobic generalisation that something is inherently wrong with Muslims and Islam.

Significantly, evidence presented in the report suggests that Islamophobia is not rooted in Islamic terrorism as previously thought but rooted in Muslims’ presence in Australia.

The second possible response is to whitewash the report with the fear that recognition of Islamophobia could be interpreted as an admission of something inherently wrong with Australian society.

Muslims have been raising the issue of Islamophobia consistently, especially in the aftermath of 9/11 and the invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq. The reaction has often been the attitude – Australians always pick on the latest arrivals, it seems it is the Muslims’ turn, it will soon go away as it did for others in the past. The problem is it is not going away: it is increasing.

Recognition of Islamophobia does not diminish the achievements of Australian society and the success of its multiculturalism. It will merely highlight a social problem that cannot be ignored or downplayed any longer.

The third response is the proper democratic one – take the findings of this report seriously and invest in further research and policy development. The report is an opportunity to openly discuss Islamophobia so that strategies could be developed to counter it as a national threat and societal problem.

An important aspect of Australian liberal democracy is the protection of its minorities. Minorities do not always have a voice in politics or media, and can often find themselves overwhelmed by negative perceptions and antagonism.

https://theconversation.com/islamophobia-is-still-raising-its-ugly-head-in-austr...

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2017 at 10:46am

mothra wrote on Jul 11th, 2017 at 10:42am:
While lone males were more likely to be the perpetrator, lone Muslim women tended to be the victims.

what a bunch of wannabe hero's  Angry Angry Angry

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2017 at 10:48am

John Smith wrote on Jul 11th, 2017 at 10:46am:
While lone males were more likely to be the perpetrator, lone Muslim women tended to be the victims.

And one out of three times, they have children with them.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2017 at 10:51am

Islamophobic cowards.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2017 at 10:55am

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 11th, 2017 at 10:51am:

Islamophobic cowards.

do you not find those who spend their day insulting people on a cyber forum such as ozpol.. just as bad greg?.... cowards that is?..

is there really all that much difference?..

I too have been told to go back where you came from.. or even pommie bastard......

hey I am still here they didnt get rid of me.. Wink

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #6 - Jul 11th, 2017 at 10:59am

Its quite simply really

Australia's migrants over the years have not presented to Clear and Present danger that elements of the Muslim Community offer now

With the rise of I.S.I.S. and the known existence of terrorist cells in Australia; many wait for the almost certain prospect that these radicals will cut loose on a community that is used to trust and safety

THAT is the  essential difference between the Muslims and other migrants to this Country

It only takes a small element to destabilise a Country and those elements already exist

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jul 11th, 2017 at 11:04am

red baron wrote on Jul 11th, 2017 at 10:59am:
Its quite simply really

Australia's migrants over the years have not presented to Clear and Present danger that elements of the Muslim Community offer now

With the rise of I.S.I.S. and the known existence of terrorist cells in Australia; many wait for the almost certain prospect that these radicals will cut loose on a community that is used to trust and safety

THAT is the  essential difference between the Muslims and other migrants to this Country

It only takes a small element to destabilise a Country and those elements already exist

yep  Muslims have ISIS... the rest of us have Islamphobes...

seems like two new diseases have been identified..

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jul 11th, 2017 at 11:04am

Its quite simply really

Such ignorance     Roll Eyes

It's no wonder we have so many cowardly young men running around abusing innocent women, when the older generation come out with complete & utter nonsense like this.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jul 11th, 2017 at 11:09am

cods wrote on Jul 11th, 2017 at 10:55am:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 11th, 2017 at 10:51am:

Islamophobic cowards.

do you not find those who spend their day insulting people on a cyber forum such as ozpol.. just as bad greg?.... cowards that is?..

is there really all that much difference?..

I too have been told to go back where you came from.. or even pommie bastard......

hey I am still here they didnt get rid of me.. Wink

I'm no coward, cods.

I would call any of these Islamophobes 'Islamophobic cowards' directly to their face.

I would not, however, stoop to verbal threats, assault, or physical harassment.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jul 11th, 2017 at 11:18am

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 11th, 2017 at 11:04am:
Its quite simply really

Such ignorance     Roll Eyes

It's no wonder we have so many cowardly young men running around abusing innocent women, when the older generation come out with complete & utter nonsense like this.

me thinks the ignorance is on the other foot to be honest..on top of the rudeness..

you dismiss others for their take on such a serious subject.. you believe your faultless  and can rubbish peoples opinions  by calling them yet another NAME..

you dont want to discuss what they are saying  you just dismiss it.....really greg I am surprised anyone tried to debate on any thread you come on to...

in fact I just might stop doing so.. Angry Angry

I am so sick of the name calling   not my idea of debate

Quote:
I'm no coward, cods

self promotion  doesnt do it for me...

you are a coward! I doubt very much you have ever said that to anyones face..but you do it endlessly on here...{cowards castle]..

islamphobes are no worse than denialists....

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #11 - Jul 11th, 2017 at 11:23am

The is no such thing as Islamophobia except in the twisted minds of such as mothra.

There is however a healthy & necessary aversion to the acceptance of the growth of an alien and invasive culture, as the Europeans are gradually finding.

Mothra needs to find a professional who can give her a reality check.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jul 11th, 2017 at 11:27am

bogarde73 wrote on Jul 11th, 2017 at 11:23am:
The is no such thing as Islamophobia except in the twisted minds of such as mothra.

There is however a healthy & necessary aversion to the acceptance of the growth of an alien and invasive culture, as the Europeans are gradually finding.

Spoken like a true Islamophobe.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jul 11th, 2017 at 11:28am

oh come on boges greg is just as much in a state of denial   in fact at times I think hes worse....

we do have a few really anti Muslims on here no doubt about that....but we also have a few who refuse to see other points of few as being somewhat valid...Brian Ross is another one....ridged to the cause if you like....

as we see some Muslims put up with a lot of abuse 
and I agree it isnt nice not nice at all..

but then I dont think calling people islamphobes every time they open their mouths is nice either.. Angry Angry

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jul 11th, 2017 at 11:29am

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 11th, 2017 at 11:27am:

Spoken like a true Islamophobe.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 17
Send Topic Print