Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
RAAF Nuclear Capability (Read 2116 times)
BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
RAAF Nuclear Capability
Jul 10th, 2017 at 1:05pm

For a  very small period of time we had the will and we had the way, but it was not be.

From 1973 to about 1986 the RAAF F111 was capable of delivering a nuclear weapon, the systems were maintained up until the Pave Tack upgrade needed the room in the aircraft for our new weapons.

I have no feelings one way or another as I spent a good couple of years maintaining those systems and another couple of years removing them.

LAST week’s successful test of a North Korean missile raised fresh fears Australia is now potentially within range of one of the rogue nation’s nukes.
Yet despite being the world’s third largest producer of uranium — the key ingredient in a nuclear bomb — Australia has no similar weapon to chuck back should Kim Jong-un press the big red button.
But, were it not for the rolling of Australian Prime Minister John Gorton in 1971, in a Liberal Party coup, Australia could easily have developed its own true blue, and massively deadly, nuke.
A military expert has told news.com.au, that top secret plans were so advanced Australia was considered “top of the pile” of countries expected to acquire its own nuclear arsenal.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/australias-secret-plans-to-have-its-ow...

An interesting read.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Re: RAAF Nuclear Capability
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2017 at 1:32pm

Unforgiven wrote on Jul 10th, 2017 at 1:27pm:
Australia doesn't need nuclear weapons.

Imagine somebody like BigHole64 having access to nuclear weapons. BigHole64 makes Homer Simpson look like an intellectual.

So that is the sum total of your input on this subject.

Well done.  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Nukes are bad, mmmkay

Bigol is bad mmmkay

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2017 at 6:51pm

Australia signed and ratified the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty in 1968 IIRC.   We abandoned all efforts to gain nuclear weapons at that point.   We have relied on the US "Nuclear Umbrella" ever since, to deter any potential aggressor armed with WMDs.

The F-111 was purchase in 1964 to deter the remote possibility of Indonesia under Sukarno using it's Tu-16 Badger bombers to attack any Australian (read Darwin/Brisbane) cities.   We have never had nuclear weapons.   The closest we came was in 1950 when the British induced the Australian Government to allow them to test nuclear weapons on our soil.  As part of the Imperial Defence plans of the day, the exchange was that we were to develop nuclear industries and Britain was to provide the knowledge to build bombs.   We created the ANU (to provide nuclear scientists and engineers), the Snowy Mountain River Scheme (to provide sufficient electricity for Uranium enrichement).   However, the USA, fearful of the possibility of nuclear knowledge leaking to the fUSSR prevented the UK from transferring the necessary know-how, how to build a bomb.

We do not need nuclear weapons to deter the DPRK.  The DPRK will not possess the ability to attack Australia - even if they ever wanted to - for about another four to six years.   There is no difference to living under the supposed threat of the DPRK possessing ICBMs than living under the threat of the fUSSR having ICBMs.    In reality, Australia is a long, long way down the possible targets that the DPRK will want to strike.  The USA/Europe/Russia/PRC/ROK/Japan are much more likely before their shopping list reaches the entry marked, "Australia".

What we need to do is stop panicking and start looking at this problem rationally.   Our RAN ships, in particular the Hobart class have the means to be easily upgraded to intercept ICBMs.  If the Government feels it is necessary, they should consider investing in them to defend Australian cities against the handful of ICBMs the DPRK will likely have.

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #3 - Jul 10th, 2017 at 7:53pm

Brian - it's almost impossible to stop a nuke:

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2017 at 9:18pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 10th, 2017 at 7:53pm:

Almost does not equate to completely, Bobby.

The first step is having a radar and a combat system which can discriminate between the re-entry vehicle and any decoys.  The next step is developing a missile which can intercept the re-entry vehicle the further from it's target as possible.  Then you just pre-position the launcher and it's radars and combat system and it will do it's job.

Best way yet is to deter your enemy from firing his missiles at you.

The DPRK is not led by an idiot.  He knows how far he can go.  These are weapons of last, not first resort.  Kim Jung Un is determined to prevent his regime being changed by Washington (and to a lesser extent, Beijing).   This is one way of ensuring that doesn't occur.  His priorities for targets will be for quite a long time to come, the US, ROK, Japan, PRC, Russia and then any other hanger ons like Australia.   His regime has tested one missile.   He still has to demonstrate that it has the range and accuracy requited to be a threat.

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Jul 10th, 2017 at 9:24pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jul 10th, 2017 at 9:18pm:

The first step is having a radar and a combat system which can discriminate between the re-entry vehicle and any decoys.  The next step is developing a missile which can intercept the re-entry vehicle the further from it's target as possible.  Then you just pre-position the launcher and it's radars and combat system and it will do it's job.

The DPRK is not led by an idiot.  He knows how far he can go.  These are weapons of last, not first resort.  Kim Jung Un is determined to prevent his regime being changed by Washington (and to a lesser extent, Beijing).   This is one way of ensuring that doesn't occur.  His priorities for targets will be for quite a long time to come, the US, ROK, Japan, PRC, Russia and then any other hanger ons like Australia.   His regime has tested one missile.   He still has to demonstrate that it has the range and accuracy requited to be a threat.

Kim Jong-Un could use a midget submarine to deliver a nuclear
weapon into any port in the world.

He is dangerous to the whole world.

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #6 - Jul 10th, 2017 at 11:53pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 10th, 2017 at 9:24pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Jul 10th, 2017 at 9:18pm:

Kim Jong-Un could use a midget submarine to deliver a nuclear
weapon into any port in the world.

He is dangerous to the whole world.

Whether he is or not, at the present moment he is no danger to Australia.   As Australia has banned all DPRK ships from it's coastal limits and the range of a midget submarine is limited, I don't think we have to fear his midget submarine fleet at the present moment, Bobby.   As always you are being alarmist unnecessarily.   Why do you work on your hangman's noose?  You need practice.    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #7 - Jul 11th, 2017 at 12:06am

Brian Ross wrote on Jul 10th, 2017 at 11:53pm:
Whether he is or not, at the present moment he is no danger to Australia.   As Australia has banned all DPRK ships from it's coastal limits and the range of a midget submarine is limited, I don't think we have to fear his midget submarine fleet at the present moment, Bobby.   As always you are being alarmist unnecessarily.   Why don't you work on your hangman's noose?  You need practice.    Roll Eyes

I merely sayeth unto thee that
an ICBM is not necessary to make a threat -
a nuclear weapon is enough -
especially one in the hands of a madman.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #8 - Jul 11th, 2017 at 5:18am

Brian Ross wrote on Jul 10th, 2017 at 6:51pm:
Australia signed and ratified the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty in 1968 IIRC.   We abandoned all efforts to gain nuclear weapons at that point.   We have relied on the US "Nuclear Umbrella" ever since, to deter any potential aggressor armed with WMDs.

The F-111 was purchase in 1964 to deter the remote possibility of Indonesia under Sukarno using it's Tu-16 Badger bombers to attack any Australian (read Darwin/Brisbane) cities.   We have never had nuclear weapons.   The closest we came was in 1950 when the British induced the Australian Government to allow them to test nuclear weapons on our soil.  As part of the Imperial Defence plans of the day, the exchange was that we were to develop nuclear industries and Britain was to provide the knowledge to build bombs.   We created the ANU (to provide nuclear scientists and engineers), the Snowy Mountain River Scheme (to provide sufficient electricity for Uranium enrichement).   However, the USA, fearful of the possibility of nuclear knowledge leaking to the fUSSR prevented the UK from transferring the necessary know-how, how to build a bomb.

We do not need nuclear weapons to deter the DPRK.  The DPRK will not possess the ability to attack Australia - even if they ever wanted to - for about another four to six years.   There is no difference to living under the supposed threat of the DPRK possessing ICBMs than living under the threat of the fUSSR having ICBMs.    In reality, Australia is a long, long way down the possible targets that the DPRK will want to strike.  The USA/Europe/Russia/PRC/ROK/Japan are much more likely before their shopping list reaches the entry marked, "Australia".

What we need to do is stop panicking and start looking at this problem rationally.   Our RAN ships, in particular the Hobart class have the means to be easily upgraded to intercept ICBMs.  If the Government feels it is necessary, they should consider investing in them to defend Australian cities against the handful of ICBMs the DPRK will likely have.

The Pig was purchased for its delivery capability, like a lot of equipment we buy to purchase 'for not with' and like the story said we toyed with the idea for some time before the actual delivery date.

I can tell we maintained the system to fully operational. as we do for all aircraft systems right up until Pave Tack was modded into the aircraft.

Were we aver serious about the capability, probably not, but should that have changed from 1973 to 1986, the upgrade would have been fairly quick and easy, from a technical perspective.

Politically, well we have been weak as p1ss since witlam, so it was never going to happen regardless of need,

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #9 - Jul 11th, 2017 at 3:34pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 11th, 2017 at 12:06am:
Whether he is or not, at the present moment he is no danger to Australia.   As Australia has banned all DPRK ships from it's coastal limits and the range of a midget submarine is limited, I don't think we have to fear his midget submarine fleet at the present moment, Bobby.   As always you are being alarmist unnecessarily.   Why don't you work on your hangman's noose?  You need practice.    Roll Eyes

I am surprised, Bobby.  No youtube video to make your argument with?  Tsk, tsk, you do appear to be letting the alarmist side down.   Run along now, I'm sure there are some videos you can watch...    Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #10 - Jul 11th, 2017 at 3:37pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jul 11th, 2017 at 3:34pm:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/12/128170/2467911-yawn_20smiley.jpg

I am surprised, Bobby.  No youtube video to make your argument with?  Tsk, tsk, you do appear to be letting the alarmist side down.   Run along now, I'm sure there are some videos you can watch...    Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

There is a video somewhere of Kim watching a sub launched missile.

I'll let you find it.

The real war is going on underneath the waves.

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #11 - Jul 11th, 2017 at 3:41pm

BigOl64 wrote on Jul 11th, 2017 at 5:18am:
The Pig was purchased for its delivery capability, like a lot of equipment we buy to purchase 'for not with' and like the story said we toyed with the idea for some time before the actual delivery date.

I can tell we maintained the system to fully operational. as we do for all aircraft systems right up until Pave Tack was modded into the aircraft.

Were we aver serious about the capability, probably not, but should that have changed from 1973 to 1986, the upgrade would have been fairly quick and easy, from a technical perspective.

Politically, well we have been weak as p1ss since witlam, so it was never going to happen regardless of need,

Whitlam attempted to introduce some rationality into our foreign and defence policies.   Under Fraser were reverted to the normal Liberal Party themes.  Under Hawke and Keating we became much more realistic in our defence policies.   Under Howard, we started to revert to the "Yes, sir, no, sir, three bags full, sir," thinking about what Washington was doing.    I am still unsure how he managed to "activate the A**US Treaty" which only discusses the Pacific region over a Terrorist attack on New York and Washington...    Trumble has followed suit, as did Rudd and Gilliard.    What we need is more thinking along the lines of Professor Dibb who issued his seminal report in 1986.   We don't need to be the US's Ghurkas.   We are the 12th richest economy in the world.   We should have our own foreign and defence policies dedicated to defend Australia - rationally.    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #12 - Jul 11th, 2017 at 3:47pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 11th, 2017 at 3:37pm:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/12/128170/2467911-yawn_20smiley.jpg

I'll let you find it.

When we have a DPRK submarine in Sydney Harbour, I'll be worried, Bobby.   As their maximum range is approximately 1,500 km, I think our Collins class subs are bit bigger and a quite a bit better than the best the DPRK can muster.

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #13 - Jul 11th, 2017 at 6:50pm

My, how interesting.  Appears everybody has been panicking over nothing, really.  The DPRK may be able to launch missiles but it appears it cannot make them re-enter the atmosphere...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #14 - Jul 11th, 2017 at 7:34pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jul 11th, 2017 at 3:47pm:
Bobby. wrote on Jul 11th, 2017 at 3:37pm:

I'll let you find it.

When we have a DPRK submarine in Sydney Harbour, I'll be worried, Bobby.   As their maximum range is approximately 1,500 km, I think our Collins class subs are bit bigger and a quite a bit better than the best the DPRK can muster.

North Korea has a lot more subs than us:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_active_North_Korean_ships

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print