Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
The Intervention - 10 years on (Read 4836 times)
mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: The Intervention - 10 years on
Reply #30 - Jul 2nd, 2017 at 1:59pm

Gnads wrote on Jul 2nd, 2017 at 1:56pm:
mothra wrote on Jul 2nd, 2017 at 11:52am:
Source please... and while you're at it, contrast the source with family violence in all disadvantaged households.

Furthermore, i have words to say about Marcia Langton  ... which are difficult for me because i've always held her in high regard.

She is now considered a traitor to her people. Sadly.

I'm with the people.

I don't particularly like Marcia Langton mainly because she is a sell out to big mining.

But in this case I fully support her comments listed in Franks post.

The more you go on about "the people" i.e. Aboriginal people ... and how you stand with them ...

the more you sound like the city bred yuppie do gooder who actually knows naff all about what goes on in these remote communities.

Do i? Based on what?

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Jul 2nd, 2017 at 2:00pm

Did you read the article Gonads? Have you been following the RC?

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Jul 2nd, 2017 at 2:35pm

mothra wrote on Jul 2nd, 2017 at 11:52am:
Source please... and while you're at it, contrast the source with family violence in all disadvantaged households.

Source - embedded in my post. All disadvantaged families - on other threads you are first to remind everyone of the thread topic. Here it's aborigines. So don't try to be shifter than you naturally are.

Jacinta Price
Almost every other Aboriginal woman I know has been subject to family violence. It is in fact rare for an Aboriginal woman to have not experienced violence. And somehow this has become normal. Any Aboriginal woman who has not been a victim of family violence herself, most certainly knows some women —or a number of them — in her family who have suffered it.
This has to stop.
The majority of our problems as Aboriginal people stem from family violence. Our family is our very foundation. And as human beings, if our foundations are non-existent — if we lack the love, the care and the support required to succeed in life — we have no chance.
Violence was used as a means of social control and a way of keeping order for small family groups, extended language groups and neighbouring language groups. Violence was once used ritually and played its part culturally in Aboriginal people’s history, in my people’s history and in fact in the history of all of the world’s cultures belonging to small-scale societies.
For a long time the argument has been put forward that the family violence epidemic has been a result of colonisation and racism. This argument shifts blame from being the responsibility of the perpetrator to being the responsibility of government and white people. The perpetrator is then viewed as a victim — which silences the real victims: the dead or broken women and the children with shattered lives.
Violence existed before a government existed in this country. What hasn’t been closely examined, by us as Aboriginal people, is the very role we play in the family violence epidemic.
Culturally we are evasive and indirect in our speech. We don’t make accusations directly if we don’t want to cause physical confrontation. So people avoid the truth in order to keep peace… that is, until alcohol is involved. But the reality is that there is no peace for the victims of abuse.
I understand it is uncomfortable and difficult to have to turn the mirror on ourselves; but Western culture has had the privilege of doing that continually. There is much critique of Western culture, but constructive self-criticism has not been embraced by Aboriginal people to challenge our beliefs, our cultural practices or the roles we play in our society. If we cannot challenge ourselves how are we supposed to move forward?
In the Northern Territory, as in many regional and remote communities, our families still practise traditional ways of doing things. Many of us have not mastered survival in a modern world; and hence think that behaving in a ‘traditional way’ when dealing with sensitive or tough issues will fix our problems. But our women are dying, our youth roam the streets every night, and Aboriginal children suffer the most in such a prosperous country.
We also have to admit that women are also happy to threaten and use violence when it suits us. If you read the anthropology or talk to the old people you will understand that this sort of thing has always happened. Many young women I know are now being charged with violence offences after they have seriously assaulted other young women in fights or are being jailed for retaliating against a long-time violent abuser.
If we can, in fact, reduce family violence, which I believe is possible if we take a unified approach, we will see fewer of our women dying, fewer of our men incarcerated, and more of our children educated.
The taxpayer spends more than 2 per cent of GDP each year for the purposes of bettering the lives of Aboriginal Australians. But we don’t need money to fix our people’s problems; we need action. This starts with us as individuals. This starts within our own families and our own communities. We cannot expect government to solve the problems that belong to us. We can expect them to support us but not solve our problems. We cannot expect whitefellas to continue to shoulder the blame for our women dying. This is our responsibility.

I have heard white community workers break down as they recount what they have been exposed to and felt powerless to do or say anything for fear of losing their jobs, being chastised by community members or putting the victims in further danger. This simply is not good enough considering amongst some of the men arrested in WA were so called ‘leaders’ of their communities.
In my view to be a leader of one’s community means it is your responsibility to protect the vulnerable and especially your women and children. All I have done is hold perpetrators to account, those who have perpetrated violence and those who have stood by and done nothing while crimes have taken place. Why would I not hold to account the over 60 per cent of the male Aboriginal population of our prisons for acts of family violence, especially if they are men in my own family? Who will hold them to account if I do not?
https://spectator.com.au/2017/06/men-of-violence/

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Jul 2nd, 2017 at 2:36pm

All Australians must ­acknowledge the ‘very real beliefs which exist within our own culture that support the use of violence,’; says Jacinta Price.
The Australian12:00AM June 29, 2016

STEPHEN FITZPATRICK
Indigenous Affairs EditorSydney
@svfitzpatrick

Indigenous Australians must take responsibility for high levels of ­violence within their communities rather than looking for “constitutional recognition or treaties or governments to solve the problem”, the daughter of one of the country’s most prominent Aboriginal politicians has warned.

Jacinta Price said in Sydney last night that “unrelenting ­support from perpetrators’ families is what enables these sorts of atrocities to continue because if perpetrators and victims are of the same community you can guarantee that there exists far more support for the perpetrators than the victims”.

Ms Price’s mother, Northern Territory minister Bess Price, has regularly spoken on the problem of indigenous domestic violence, including in her own family.

Delivering the inaugural Helen Hughes lecture at the Centre for Independent Studies, Ms Price said all Australians must ­acknowledge the “very real beliefs which exist within our own culture that support the use of violence” and accused “left-leaning service providers” of turning a blind eye. The Alice Springs councillor said it was “not good enough” that indigenous women were 35 times more likely to be hospitalised from violence perpetrated by ­relatives than other Australian women.

And she identified a “city-based victim brigade” that was perpetuating “the victim message” that the biggest problem was indigenous people’s ­suffering under the onslaught of colonialism and at the hands of white government.

“This argument has sat at the forefront of political debate ­driving the activists for whom it once served a very real purpose and brought about much needed change, but (is now) drowning out the voices of the victims (of) our own cultural forms of ­oppression,” Ms Price said.

“Guilt politics”, she said, ­simply put responsibility for the matter onto “the government, which cannot fix our problems”.

There was “not a woman in my family that has not experienced some kind of physical or sexual abuse sometime in their life” and too often “women are part of the huge problem (because) in my culture men are hardly seen as being capable of doing anything wrong and women are the ones to blame if they should”.

Ms Price called for an end to “the us and them mentality” that was keeping indigenous Australia “stagnant” and said the “continued violence and sexual abuse that is being experienced throughout remote Australia (was) our problem and we are the ones who need to fix it”.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Jul 2nd, 2017 at 2:38pm

Did you read that, Frank? All of it?

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Jul 2nd, 2017 at 2:39pm

Did you read the OP, Frank?

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #36 - Jul 2nd, 2017 at 3:09pm

Bobby. wrote on Jun 30th, 2017 at 9:15pm:
Mothra - weren't there children & even babies with gonorrhea,
& other sexually transmitted diseases?

It was sickening beyond belief.

Something had to be done about it.

The truth ignored by Mothra.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Jul 2nd, 2017 at 3:15pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 2nd, 2017 at 3:09pm:

Did you read the OP, Bobby?

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #38 - Jul 2nd, 2017 at 3:23pm

mothra wrote on Jul 2nd, 2017 at 3:15pm:

No - not completely - too long & boring - a whole essay.

It didn't mention gonorrhea as was reported by the media.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Jul 2nd, 2017 at 3:30pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 2nd, 2017 at 3:23pm:

No - not completely - too long & boring - a whole essay.

It didn't mention gonorrhea as was reported by the media.

The media lied. It lied based on a lie by Mal Brough.

I personally think you owe it to our Indigenous people to read the OP.

I think you should read it before you comment on this thread.

No-one else has, So very much prejudice.

It's up to you Bobby. Do you want to be informed or not?

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Jul 2nd, 2017 at 3:34pm

Who do you blame more for what's happening in aboriginal communities Mothra? White settlement or the actions of aborigines themselves?

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Jul 2nd, 2017 at 3:37pm

They observed that “While the Inquiry found no evidence of any ‘paedophile rings’ operating in the Northern Territory, there was enough evidence to conclude that a number of individual non-Aboriginal ‘paedophiles’ had been infiltrating Aboriginal communities and offending against children

dear o dear.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #42 - Jul 2nd, 2017 at 3:44pm

gonorrhea in children and babies.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #43 - Jul 2nd, 2017 at 3:46pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 2nd, 2017 at 3:44pm:
gonorrhea in children and babies.

And is there more or less now, Bobby?

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #44 - Jul 2nd, 2017 at 3:47pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Jul 2nd, 2017 at 3:34pm:

Who do you blame more for what's happening in aboriginal communities Mothra? White settlement or the actions of aborigines themselves?

What "actions" of Aboriginal people would that be, Hammer? Overcrowding and no running water or electricity?

Is this where you tell me about all of the millions of dollars spent on them?

All without reading the OP or paying any attention to the RC.

You know there are houses that are not only falling down, they house 24 pople and have no running water? Yes? In Australia. 2017?

Would you rather focus on people drinking alcohol? As though that diminishes their right to humane treatment? But yes ... talk about substance abuse over housing. It's what everyine else does Why shouldn't you?

Kids are taken away because of neglect ... not abuse. Neglect because their parents are too damn poor. Their not being placed in kinship groups because of overcrowding and the systemic problem of domestic violence.

How do we get domestic violence, people? What ate the triggers?

Read the OP. Follow the RC. Educate yourself. Stop coming to me with ignorant bullshit.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print