Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Islamophobia is a form of extremism (Read 4618 times)
mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Islamophobia is a form of extremism
Jun 26th, 2017 at 12:01am

May says Islamophobia is a form of extremism, marking shift in rhetoric

The prime minister had previously made it clear her ‘drive against extremism’ was aimed at radical Islamist ideology

Theresa May’s Downing Street declaration that the Finsbury Park terrorist attack was “every bit as sickening” as Manchester and London Bridge and description of Islamophobia as another form of extremism marks a distinct and important change in rhetoric from the prime minister.

The Queen’s speech on Wednesday will include flagship legislation to “confront the menace of extremism, especially Islamist extremism, including a statutory commission to identify and expose examples.

May, throughout the election campaign and in her post-election speech on the steps of Downing Street a fortnight ago, made clear that the focus of her “drive against extremism” was aimed at radical Islamist ideology.

But her statement in the wake of the Finsbury Park attack appears to mark a significant reset of that “one-eyed” approach. She said it was “a reminder that terrorism, extremism and hatred take many forms; and our determination to tackle them must be the same whoever is responsible. As I said here two weeks ago, there has been far too much tolerance of extremism in our country over many years – and that means extremism of any kind, including Islamophobia.”

May reaffirmed the review of official counter-terrorism strategy including the possibility of new criminal offences to deny “safe spaces” to extremists, both online and in the real world.

The prime minister also reiterated her proposal for an anti-extremism commission, comparing its role to that of the Commission for Racial Equality which fought racism in the 1970s and 1980s: “Because this extremism is every bit as insidious and destructive to our values and our way of life and we will stop at nothing to defeat it.”

But as Dr Chris Allen of Birmingham University has pointed out, Islamophobia is more akin to everyday racism or homophobia perpetrated by ordinary people rather than the exclusive reserve of a terrorist ideology.

A year after the terrorist murder of Labour MP Jo Cox by a man the judge described as a “violent white supremacist and exclusive nationalist”, the far right in Britain have expounded a more populist, explicitly anti-Muslim agenda. Allen told the BBC that the far right has become much more aggressive in targeting the development and building of new mosques and mounting aggressive protests against them.

The rhetoric of ministers about the government’s counter-extremism strategy has given every appearance of focusing on radical Islamist extremism at the expense of the work against the far right. It is true that the police and security services have continued below the radar to tackle both.

As the former official reviewer of terrorism laws, David Anderson QC, has pointed out, one in four of those referred to the government’s Prevent anti-radicalisation programme are now far-right radicals. The security minister, Ben Wallace, said last October that in some parts of the country, far-right extremists outnumbered Islamist extremist suspects. Anderson warned in February that far-right extremism in Britain could be “as murderous as its Islamist equivalent”.

The prime minister’s change in rhetoric is welcome but the real test will be whether her new legislation is recalibrated to tackle far-right ideology just as vigorously as that of radical Islamists.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/19/may-says-islamophobia-form-extr...

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Islamophobia is a form of extremism
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 12:13pm

Well Islamophobes? Nothing?

I, of course, blame Islam.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #2 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 12:20pm

Ozpolitic is full of Islamophobia extremists. The fools don't even understand that by targeting peaceful, law-abiding,  Muslims they are fomenting the very thing they fear.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 12:22pm

Unforgiven wrote on Jun 26th, 2017 at 12:20pm:
Ozpolitic is full of Islamophobia extremists. The fools don't even understand that by targeting peaceful, law-abiding,  Muslims they are fomenting the very thing they fear.

Absolutely. Extremism playing into the hands of extremism.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 1:52pm

42 views ... and not a single Islamophobe strives to defend themselves.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 1:55pm

Unforgiven wrote on Jun 26th, 2017 at 12:20pm:
Ozpolitic is full of Islamophobia extremists. The fools don't even understand that by targeting peaceful, law-abiding Muslims they are fomenting the very thing they fear.

Yep.

Too stupid to realise it, though.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 2:04pm

The ex muslim from Iran Ali Sina wrote a great article on the ad hominem called Islamophobia that gets hurled by muslims and their apologists.

I would like to see little pecca,mothra, arsie or john smith or brian ross refute anything in this article on the technically and logically incorrect ad hominem Islamophobia by the ex muslim Ali Sina.

faithfreedom.org/oped/sina60526.htm

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 2:06pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Jun 26th, 2017 at 2:04pm:
The ex muslim from Iran Ali Sina wrote a great article on the ad hominem called Islamophobia that gets hurled by muslims and their apologists.

I would like to see little pecca,mothra, arsie or john smith or brian ross refute anything in this article on the technically and logically incorrect ad hominem Islamophobia by the ex muslim Ali Sina.

Are you saying Theresa May s wrong, Baron?

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 2:15pm

mothra wrote on Jun 26th, 2017 at 2:06pm:

Two truths cannot contradict each other according to the great atheist Ibn Rushd.

I would go with Ali Sina from Iran who rejected Islam after having it imposed on him as a child on the ad hominem used by muslims and their apologists called islamophobia.

I guess if Ali Sina was a jew or Christian who rejected the religion imposed on him by his parents the apologists would embrace him but since he was a muslim who grew up with Islam the apologists will ignore him.
Grin Grin Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Grin Grin

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 2:25pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Jun 26th, 2017 at 2:15pm:
mothra wrote on Jun 26th, 2017 at 2:06pm:

Two truths cannot contradict each other according to the great atheist Ibn Rushd.

I would go with Ali Sina from Iran who rejected Islam after having it imposed on him as a child on the ad hominem used by muslims and their apologists called islamophobia.

I guess if Ali Sina was a jew or Christian who rejected the religion imposed on him by his parents the apologists would embrace him but since he was a muslim who grew up with Islam the apologists will ignore him.
Grin Grin Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Grin Grin

Why on earth would i have a problem with someone deciding they didn't want to a Muslim anymore?

You make no sense.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 2:36pm

So you disagree with apostates being put to death then...  goodo.
Oh and BTW since when have politicians ever been infallible? Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Unreality strikes again. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 2:38pm

Grendel wrote on Jun 26th, 2017 at 2:36pm:
Oh and BTW since when have politicians ever been infallible? Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

What on earth has that go to do with most Muslims?

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 2:40pm

mothra wrote on Jun 26th, 2017 at 2:38pm:

Oh so now are you saying what YOU said has nothing to do most Muslims?

Are you creating more strawmen again?

Unreality... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I replied to your posts mothra....  don't like being shown to be stupid...  stop posting. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 2:42pm

Grendel wrote on Jun 26th, 2017 at 2:40pm:
mothra wrote on Jun 26th, 2017 at 2:38pm:

Oh so now are you saying what YOU said has nothing to do most Muslims?

Are you creating more strawmen again?

Unreality... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I replied to your posts mothra....  don't like being shown to be stupid...  stop posting. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

You're an interesting little fellow, Goose. Have you been assessed?

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 2:56pm

YOU on the otherhand are not interesting in the least....

TROLL someone who cares. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print