Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Is anything BUT atheism a sensible basis for life? (Read 6755 times)
Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Is anything BUT atheism a sensible basis for life?
Jun 25th, 2017 at 9:47pm

Depending on invisible sky fairies does not seem to me to be a sensible starting point for a philosophy to guide one in life?

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Re: Is anything BUT atheism a sensible basis for life?
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 9:44am

Any of them. I agree.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #2 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 3:32pm

Well, there is God, and then there is religion. The confusion of the two produces nothing more than hierarchies of power and simple answers for simple minds.

However, Atheism is almost as stupid. For a start, proponents allow themselves to be defined by what they are not.

Don't talk to me about Agnostics, they wouldn't know there arses from a hole in the ground.

The only thing about "God" that I dismiss, is the incredibly daggy, small-minded, musty smelly idiotic varieties that humans have come up with so far.

A fourth way, where the question does not exist, is just as valid as the trichotomy. Perhaps there are other frames of mind also.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 7:55pm

Atheism is simply a denial of god's existence and doesn't ascribe any value judgments or qualities for how to live a life beyond that. Therefore, it's not a basis at all.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 11:49am

A better basis than belief in invisible sky fairies.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #5 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 11:55am

Jovial Monk wrote on Jun 25th, 2017 at 9:47pm:
Depending on invisible sky fairies does not seem to me to be a sensible starting point for a philosophy to guide one in life?

It works great for children, there is no need for sound reasoned judgement or personal responsibility; however if you are an adult who is not retarded then religion and god are a waste of your time and energy.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #6 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 9:21pm

BigOl64 wrote on Aug 1st, 2017 at 11:55am:

It works great for children, there is no need for sound reasoned judgement or personal responsibility; however if you are an adult who is not retarded then religion and god are a waste of your time and energy.

The Atheism forum is slow, but I always like to see what people have to say. Forgive me for saying this, but some atheists are just as dogmatic as Godists. Religion is not a waste of time. It has many uses.

1. It allays a sense of emptiness when an individual is confronted by, and feels threatened by, the meaninglessness of life.

2. By latching on to the said sense of emptiness, God religions give their purveyors authority over the bewildered masses, and this authority has been used as currency with hereditary monarchs in every attempt at civilisation in world history.

3. Religions gives moralists a platform from which to advertise their sense of right and wrong, creating the concept of guilt which is essential and self-fulfilling.

4. Some religions provide answers to questions that cannot be answered with logic. Lots of people love religion for this reason. Through religion they don't even need to justify their choice. One has to admit that is a very valuable asset.

I have to qualify the above points which may seem cynical. There is no doubt that a great many good deeds have been done in the "name" of Godisms. For example, Christian missionaries were largely responsible for the end of cannibalism in the South Pacific. And the Red Cross has relieved some suffering world wide. But these things could have been achieved without ancient scripture. The fact is that those kinds of perceptions were of their time.

The God religions are not going away in the foreseeable future just because a tiny proportion of humanity among the world's educated urban sophisticates like to poke fun at them, even when deserved. Looking at the state of things today, and the population explosion, I would say it is more likely that Atheism will fizzle out.

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 7:24pm

^ good post. Religion served a purpose and its loss only creates a vacuum. In its place we have nationalism, climate changism, transgenderism, cultural repudiation, narcissism ...

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #8 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 7:48pm

Dear Jovial,
The rapture will happen soon be prepared. Know and believe that Jesus died on the cross for your sins and sins of the world shed his blood and rose three days later from the grave and went back to heaven to prepare a place. Turn away from your sins and ask forgiveness and accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Personal Saviour. God will forgive your sins no matter what they are.

namaste

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 8:43pm

Being Agnostic is a much more rational position.

Atheists are a lot on the arrogant side.

Religious people .......mentally ill.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #10 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 8:28am

Bobby. wrote on Aug 2nd, 2017 at 7:48pm:

Dear Jovial,
The rapture will happen soon be prepared. Know and believe that Jesus died on the cross for your sins and sins of the world shed his blood and rose three days later from the grave and went back to heaven to prepare a place. Turn away from your sins and ask forgiveness and accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Personal Saviour. God will forgive your sins no matter what they are.

namaste

See this is the problem with God Freaks. They arrogantly claim to have secret knowledge of how the Universe works that has been revealed to them, which at best is a lie. Bob, like Yadda and Light boy, you are a cretinous low-brow.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #11 - Aug 25th, 2017 at 6:06pm

issuevoter wrote on Aug 3rd, 2017 at 8:28am:

Dear Jovial,

namaste

Bob, like Yadda and Light boy, you are a cretinous low-brow.

Listen Issue,         my God is bigger than bobby's God!

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #12 - Aug 26th, 2017 at 2:02am

Yadda wrote on Aug 25th, 2017 at 6:06pm:
issuevoter wrote on Aug 3rd, 2017 at 8:28am:

Dear Jovial,

namaste

Bob, like Yadda and Light boy, you are a cretinous low-brow.

Listen Issue,         my God is bigger than bobby's God!

Its not a big dick contest Yadda

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Aug 26th, 2017 at 9:15am

Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on Aug 2nd, 2017 at 7:24pm:
^ good post. Religion served a purpose and its loss only creates a vacuum. In its place we have nationalism, climate changism, transgenderism, cultural repudiation, narcissism ...

cause you never had that before with religion? Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Sure some of the titles were different, but the bullsh1t was the same

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #14 - Aug 26th, 2017 at 10:17am

Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on Aug 2nd, 2017 at 7:24pm:
^ good post. Religion served a purpose and its loss only creates a vacuum. In its place we have

nationalism,
climate changism,
transgenderism,
cultural repudiation,
narcissism ...

And you forgot to mention.....
....the introduction of the 'safe space' within institutions of higher learning today, where no real and honest examination, and no real and honest scrutiny, of the political lefts protected 'sacred cows' are permitted.

Because such examination would lay upon and expose leftist politics to open ridicule, and, 'persecution'.

Holy cows....

gay nation issues
gay identity issues
ISLAM-o-fascism
leftist fascism
political violence/activism against voices of truth
political fascism/activism against voices of truth

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print