Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Is anything BUT atheism a sensible basis for life? (Read 6799 times)
Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Re: Is anything BUT atheism a sensible basis for life?
Reply #15 - Sep 26th, 2017 at 4:17am

issuevoter wrote on Aug 1st, 2017 at 9:21pm:
BigOl64 wrote on Aug 1st, 2017 at 11:55am:
Jovial Monk wrote on Jun 25th, 2017 at 9:47pm:
Depending on invisible sky fairies does not seem to me to be a sensible starting point for a philosophy to guide one in life?

It works great for children, there is no need for sound reasoned judgement or personal responsibility; however if you are an adult who is not retarded then religion and god are a waste of your time and energy.

The Atheism forum is slow, but I always like to see what people have to say. Forgive me for saying this, but some atheists are just as dogmatic as Godists. llays a sense of emptiness when an individual is confronted by, and feels threatened by, the meaninglessness of life.

2. By latching on to the said sense of emptiness, God religions give their purveyors authority over the bewildered masses, and this authority has been used as currency with hereditary monarchs in every attempt at civilisation in world history.

3. Religions gives moralists a platform from which to advertise their sense of right and wrong, creating the concept of guilt which is essential and self-fulfilling.

4. Some religions provide answers to questions that cannot be answered with logic. Lots of people love religion for this reason. Through religion they don't even need to justify their choice. One has to admit that is a very valuable asset.

I have to qualify the above points which may seem cynical. There is no doubt that a great many good deeds have been done in the "name" of Godisms. For example, Christian missionaries were largely responsible for the end of cannibalism in the South Pacific. And the Red Cross has relieved some suffering world wide. But these things could have been achieved without ancient scripture. The fact is that those kinds of perceptions were of their time.

The God religions are not going away in the foreseeable future just because a tiny proportion of humanity among the world's educated urban sophisticates like to poke fun at them, even when deserved. Looking at the state of things today, and the population explosion, I would say it is more likely that Atheism will fizzle out.

Yes I agree that religion, as opposed to a simple belief in a higher power can be beneficial.
However, recognition to those first created the magic of mapping of planetary movements is long overdue. Their importance to society far exceeds the importance of any religion IMO.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #16 - Sep 26th, 2017 at 6:15am

Long time no see Amadd.

A scientist (atheist) will tell you that the Earth is NOT the centre of the Universe - and he/she is right.

A Spiritualist (religious) will tell you that the Earth is the centre of OUR Universe - and he/she is also right.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #17 - Sep 26th, 2017 at 8:41am

Yadda wrote on Aug 26th, 2017 at 10:17am:
Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on Aug 2nd, 2017 at 7:24pm:
^ good post. Religion served a purpose and its loss only creates a vacuum. In its place we have

nationalism,
climate changism,
transgenderism,
cultural repudiation,
narcissism ...

And you forgot to mention.....
....the introduction of the 'safe space' within institutions of higher learning today, where no real and honest examination, and no real and honest scrutiny, of the political lefts protected 'sacred cows' are permitted.

Because such examination would lay upon and expose leftist politics to open ridicule, and, 'persecution'.

Holy cows....

gay nation issues
gay identity issues
ISLAM-o-fascism
leftist fascism
political violence/activism against voices of truth
political fascism/activism against voices of truth

I know its just one data point, but Yadda is excellent evidence for the worthiness of atheism.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #18 - Sep 26th, 2017 at 8:11pm

Jasin wrote on Sep 26th, 2017 at 6:15am:
Long time no see Amadd.

A scientist (atheist) will tell you that the Earth is NOT the centre of the Universe - and he/she is right.

A Spiritualist (religious) will tell you that the Earth is the centre of OUR Universe - and he/she is also right.

Yes I haven't been around for awhile JaSinner (formerly know as Jasignature?).

Does the spiritualist need to follow one religion in particular to be called religious?
Do people really need to believe nonsense stories and believe that God gave personal instructions to a chosen few to be spiritual?

To me, the likes of Newton, Einstein, Hawkins, Faraday...etc. are the ones who are truly in touch with God's word.

On the topic of conversation, I would say that no it's not necessary for anybody to pronounce themselves as atheist or religious to lead a good life.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2017 at 8:19pm by Amadd »  

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #19 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 10:22pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Sep 26th, 2017 at 8:41am:
I know its just one data point, but Yadda is excellent evidence for the worthiness of atheism.

He's also an excellent ADVERTISEMENT for atheism

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

it_is_the_light
Gold Member

Christ Light

The Pyramid of LIGHT
Reply #20 - Sep 30th, 2017 at 8:09pm

Nancy Rynes, The Atheist Who Went To Heaven

Nancy Rynes is a spiritual explorer, making the path to a love-filled life clearer for seekers the world over. Nancy is a leading voice for personalizing the wisdom of Near Death Experiences (NDEs), developing our heart-centered intuition, and living a life of inspired creativity. Known for her fun, lighthearted, girl-next-door demeanor, Nancy teaches others how to live a more purposeful, joyful, and Heaven-inspired life.

ॐ May Much LOVE and CHRISTS LIGHT be upon and within us all.... namasté ▲ - : )  ╰დ╮ॐ╭დ╯
it_is_the_light it_is_the_light Christ+Light Christ+Light  
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #21 - Oct 19th, 2017 at 10:34am

dear master Light,

Ye shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #22 - Oct 19th, 2017 at 11:01am

it_is_the_light wrote on Sep 30th, 2017 at 8:09pm:

Nancy Rynes, The Atheist Who Went To Heaven

Nancy Rynes is a spiritual explorer, making the path to a love-filled life clearer for seekers the world over. Nancy is a leading voice for personalizing the wisdom of Near Death Experiences (NDEs), developing our heart-centered intuition, and living a life of inspired creativity. Known for her fun, lighthearted, girl-next-door demeanor, Nancy teaches others how to live a more purposeful, joyful, and Heaven-inspired life.

Still though shes promoting something which isnt proof of an afterlife

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #23 - Dec 10th, 2023 at 4:55pm

This Topic was moved here from Atheism by freediver.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print