Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Hey, sexy: objectifying catcalls (Read 7227 times)
mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Hey, sexy: objectifying catcalls
Jun 22nd, 2017 at 3:56pm

Hey, sexy: objectifying catcalls occur more frequently than you might think

Hey, sexy.

Damn, girl.

What’s up, beautiful?

These are just some of the many comments directed toward Shoshana Roberts as she walked along the streets of New York in that now-infamous “catcalling video”. These catcalls, along with the countless wolf-whistles, stares, and winks that Shoshana received, are all instances of sexual objectification.

Objectification occurs when individuals – typically women – are reduced to their body parts. They come to be valued more for how they look rather than who they are as a person. So just how often do these types of experiences occur?

The prevalence of objectification in women’s lives

According to the catcalling video, Shoshana experienced well over 100 instances of objectification over a period of ten hours. Although her example may be extreme, research concurs that these kinds of experiences are commonplace for women.

Recent estimates suggest that 84% of women first experience street harassment before the age of 17. Among Australian women, 87% experience sexual harassment in their lifetimes, with harassment ranging from catcalling and wolf-whistling to more severe forms such as groping and stalking.

Other research has focused on objectification as it occurs over shorter time frames, such as weeks or days. These studies suggest that objectifying experiences occur anywhere from once a month to more than once per day.

This data, however, is fairly dated, with the most recent study published in 2009. Further, the prevalence of the different types of objectifying behaviour, such as catcalling, ogling, and sexual remarks, is largely unknown.

Our own research

We set out to build on the existing literature and find out just how common the different forms of objectifying experiences were in the lives of young Australian women. In collaboration with researchers from Australian Catholic University, we ran a study of 81 young women across metropolitan Melbourne.

The women in our study were instructed to install an app on their smartphones. The app was programmed to beep ten times per day over a seven-day period. At each beep, participants indicated whether they had experienced an objectifying event, and the type of event they had encountered.

We found that women experienced objectification on average 3.69 times over the week, equating to more than once every two days. The most common form was the objectifying gaze (making up 55% of objectifying experiences). Catcalls and wolf-whistles were reported in 11% of women’s experiences, and sexual remarks in 10%.

Harmless or hurtful? The impact of objectifying experiences

Even if we can agree that such experiences are commonplace in women’s lives, do they actually matter? Some have argued that such behaviours are harmless, and intended to be complimentary more than critical. However, evidence for the benefits of objectification is sorely lacking.

Overwhelmingly, research suggests that objectification has a harmful effect on women. In our own study, for instance, we asked our participants at each survey how much they had been self-objectifying (that is, worrying about how they looked to others). We found that objectifying experiences were associated with increases in self-objectification, which has been linked to poor mental health.

Research demonstrates that women who report being objectified on a more frequent basis also report greater body shame as well as symptoms of disordered eating and depression. Experiencing the objectifying gaze also decreases math performance among women but not men, and can lead women to self-silence in social interactions.

Taken together, the literature suggests the effects of objectification are far from flattering.

How to respond to objectifying experiences

Objectification is common and its effects are damaging – so what can we do to stop it? One strategy is to speak out and confront objectification when it’s taking place.

Most women don’t confront those who make sexist remarks. There are a range of reasons for this, including fearing retaliation by the objectifier, or feeling pressured to be polite.

However, calling out objectification can have a positive impact on women. Studies show that women who confront harassers don’t feel the same negative effects as women who let it go. There is evidence that women who speak up against sexism feel more empowered, competent, and have higher self-esteem.

It is also important for bystanders, and men in particular, to challenge objectification when they see it. Research on prejudice suggests that people from the advantaged group – in this case, men – are typically far more persuasive when they confront prejudice than those personally affected by it.

Objectification may perhaps not be as common as that “catcalling video” suggests. However, our research shows it to be a regular feature of young women’s lives, and one that negatively impacts their wellbeing.

We need to actively challenge these instances if we want women to be recognised as “somebodies” rather than “somethings”.

https://theconversation.com/hey-sexy-objectifying-catcalls-occur-more-frequently...

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: Hey, sexy: objectifying catcalls
Reply #1 - Jun 22nd, 2017 at 4:30pm

It must pain you that so many of your sistas go out of their way dress and conduct themselves in a way to elicit attention and comments from men.

A friend used to wear ridiculously boob-a-licious shirts to work so she could tut tut and shame men she caught being a tit pervert, and use it to disarm men or gain the upper hand in some way.

OMG if you can't stop looking at my boobs for 5 seconds and concentrate I'll have to......

IBI

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jun 22nd, 2017 at 4:35pm

Gordon wrote on Jun 22nd, 2017 at 4:30pm:
It must pain you that so many of your sistas go out of their way dress and conduct themselves in a way to elicit attention and comments from men.

A friend used to wear ridiculously boob-a-licious shirts to work so she could tut tut and shame men she caught being a tit pervert, and use it to disarm men or gain the upper hand in some way.

OMG if you can't stop looking at my boobs for 5 seconds and concentrate I'll have to......

Did it occur to you for a moment that we wear what we want to wear? Not so that we can be objectified by men?

Anyway, nice admission that you think men are so vulnerable to womanly wiles. Says a tremendous amount about you ... no-one else.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jun 22nd, 2017 at 4:37pm

In any event, it doesn't usually matter what we wear. We cop it anyway.

Another thing i hate is being told to smile. Like what the hell is to you if i smile or not?

Just going about my business.

IP Logged

President Elect, The Mechanic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jun 22nd, 2017 at 6:39pm

mothra wrote on Jun 22nd, 2017 at 4:37pm:

Another thing i hate is being told to smile. Like what the hell is to you if i smile or not?

is if you ever get out of the house ya fat slob..

you sit here all day and night groggy/mothra and then a day later you pretend that you went out... but when one looks back on how much time you spend on this forum its impossible you ever went out at all...

and you'd also be the most miserable bitch of a thing I've ever had the displeasure to read on any forum I've ever been on...

so yeah...

you'd never smile... you'd have a constant miserable look on your face wiht a downturned catsbum lips..

yuk...  Sad

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jun 22nd, 2017 at 6:53pm

"They're asking for it".

Ah.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Jun 22nd, 2017 at 7:06pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jun 22nd, 2017 at 6:53pm:

"They're asking for it".

Ah.

Well..........here's an anecdote.

My Golf Club.  Lady behind the Bar about 30.  Really nice and chatty, very efficient.

Not so long ago.....turned up at the half way food thing.....downstairs and not in the bar.....to talk to another employee.

Wearing a singlet thing and clearly no bra.  Magnificent set of tits, never apparent when she was upstairs behind the Bar.

She loved the comments my Group gave her.  Me....I said nothing........just  Shocked

IP Logged

Mistress Nicole
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jun 22nd, 2017 at 7:10pm

President Elect, The Mechanic wrote on Jun 22nd, 2017 at 6:39pm:
mothra wrote on Jun 22nd, 2017 at 4:37pm:

is if you ever get out of the house ya fat slob..

you sit here all day and night groggy/mothra and then a day later you pretend that you went out... but when one looks back on how much time you spend on this forum its impossible you ever went out at all...

and you'd also be the most miserable bitch of a thing I've ever had the displeasure to read on any forum I've ever been on...

so yeah...

you'd never smile... you'd have a constant miserable look on your face wiht a downturned catsbum lips..

yuk...  Sad

You're attacking the man and not the ball.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #8 - Jun 22nd, 2017 at 7:12pm

Sorry, but no excuse for cat-calling at all. It's unacceptable. I have never in my life cat-called a woman.

Gordon, what the lady wears is no excuse on the man's behalf; in fact, it's insulting as a man to hear that as an excuse because it implies that we can't 'control ourselves'. I can control myself.

Can you?

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #9 - Jun 22nd, 2017 at 7:14pm

Aussie wrote on Jun 22nd, 2017 at 7:06pm:
Magnificent set of tits, never apparent when she was upstairs behind the Bar.

Please do not publicly describe a woman in such a way. It's indecent.

IP Logged

Mistress Nicole
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jun 22nd, 2017 at 7:16pm

Auggie wrote on Jun 22nd, 2017 at 7:12pm:
Sorry, but no excuse for cat-calling at all. It's unacceptable. I have never in my life cat-called a woman.

Gordon, what the lady wears is no excuse on the man's behalf; in fact, it's insulting as a man to hear that as an excuse because it implies that we can't 'control ourselves'. I can control myself.

Can you?

Maybe the Muslims have got it right, and Gordon needs to go live in the land of burkas and beards, where the cat meat is not left out uncovered?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Jun 22nd, 2017 at 7:18pm

Auggie wrote on Jun 22nd, 2017 at 7:14pm:

No.....it was great!

She chose to dress that way and got the inevitable admiration.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #12 - Jun 22nd, 2017 at 7:24pm

Aussie wrote on Jun 22nd, 2017 at 7:18pm:
Auggie wrote on Jun 22nd, 2017 at 7:14pm:

No.....it was great!

She chose to dress that way and got the inevitable admiration.

Doesn't matter. Don't do it.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #13 - Jun 22nd, 2017 at 7:30pm

If I do it to my wife am I objectifying her? Undecided

BTW, women do it too.

IP Logged