Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 15
Send Topic Print
Mayweather $600 million fight (Read 14148 times)
Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Mayweather $600 million fight
Jun 21st, 2017 at 9:48pm

http://www.newsweek.com/floyd-mayweather-vs-conor-mcgregor-t-mobile-arena-las-ve...

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor:
Could August 26 Las Vegas Superfight Make $600 Million?

It’s a contest between boxing’s pay-per-view king and the highest-grossing UFC star in history.

If ever a fight were a certainty to draw money, it would be Floyd Mayweather’s super-bout against Conor McGregor scheduled for August 26 in Las Vegas, Nevada.

The contest, which will be fought under boxing rules over 12 three-minute rounds, brings together two of combat sports’ brashest talkers and slickest practitioners with the added lure of the “Sport of Kings” against its brash young cousin.

Sports Emails and Alerts- Get the best of Newsweek Sports delivered to your inbox

Forbes has predicted that the bout, which will take place at the T-Mobile Arena, could draw between 5.3 and 5.5 million pay-per-view buys.

That would comfortably shatter the previous record for a boxing pay-per-view bout held by Mayweather against Manny Pacquiao on May 2, 2015.

That fight ended up generating more than $400 million in ppv revenue, in addition to a live gate of $72,198,500.

Mayweather features in the top three highest-grossing cards of all time. His fight against Saul Alvarez generated 2.2 million ppv buys and $150 million in revenue, according to ESPN. Mayweather’s victory over Oscar De La Hoya from May 2007 held the previous all-time record with 2.4 million buys and around $136 million in revenue.

The T-Mobile Arena seats 20,000 for boxing and MMA events. With high demand and low availability, it’s not hard to see prices for individual seats climbing into the thousands of dollars. Combine that with the fact that Mayweather vs Pacquiao cost $99 to watch on ppv in the U.S.—this will likely not be set any lower—and it’s possible that the event could gross more than $600 million at the top end of expectations.

All of which is good news for the two men and their entourages. It remains to be seen whether the action can match the hype, and the money.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Mayweather $600 million fight
Reply #1 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 9:48pm

How can 2 blokes punching each other be worth $600 million?

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #2 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 9:53pm

Bobby. wrote on Jun 21st, 2017 at 9:48pm:

Will you watch?

IBI

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #3 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 9:54pm

Gordon wrote on Jun 21st, 2017 at 9:53pm:

Will you watch?

I'll wait till someone uploads it to Youtube.

IP Logged

philperth2010

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #4 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 9:56pm

Maybe watch it at the pub with some mates....Thanks Bobby???

Smiley Smiley Smiley

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #5 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 9:56pm

Bobby. wrote on Jun 21st, 2017 at 9:54pm:
Gordon wrote on Jun 21st, 2017 at 9:53pm:

Will you watch?

I'll wait till someone uploads it to Youtube.

I wouldn't pay either. Would be more interesting if they did one round boxing, one round MMA.

IBI

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 10:04pm

I wouldn't pay a cent and I can afford the patience to watch it some time much later for free.

It's a bit bias towards Mayweather Jr, being 'just boxing' - but Mayweather Jr always gets it all his own way before he even steps in the ring. I reckon McGregor sold himself out - short! Another sucker for ...Da Money!  Tongue

There was a time when Kostya Tszyu was to challenge Mayweather Jr and the Ring Magazine had him at odds on to beat Mayweather Jr, stating that "Kostya would take just two rounds to work out Mayweather's defence and find his weakness." It is noted that Ring Magazine rates Kostya the 'Greatest' of All time in that weight.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #7 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 10:06pm

philperth2010 wrote on Jun 21st, 2017 at 9:56pm:
Maybe watch it at the pub with some mates....Thanks Bobby???

Smiley Smiley Smiley

That's a good idea if it's on at the pub
& you could have a counter meal & a beer too.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #8 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 10:07pm

Jasin wrote on Jun 21st, 2017 at 10:04pm:
I wouldn't pay a cent and I can afford the patience to watch it some time much later for free.

It's a bit bias towards Mayweather Jr, being 'just boxing' - but Mayweather Jr always gets it all his own way before he even steps in the ring. I reckon McGregor sold himself out - short! Another sucker for ...Da Money!  Tongue

There was a time when Kostya Tszyu was to challenge Mayweather Jr and the Ring Magazine had him at odds on to beat Mayweather Jr, stating that "Kostya would take just two rounds to work out Mayweather's defence and find his weakness." It is noted that Ring Magazine rates Kostya the 'Greatest' of All time in that weight.

Mayweather is 12 years older -
I think he could lose.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 11:32pm

Mayweather could sniff cocaine and do all the hookers he wanted between now and Aug 26 and he still wouldnt lose, this fight is a farce.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #10 - Jun 22nd, 2017 at 6:23am

rhino wrote on Jun 21st, 2017 at 11:32pm:
Mayweather could sniff cocaine and do all the hookers he wanted between now and Aug 26 and he still wouldnt lose, this fight is a farce.

I suggest you make a huge sports bet & clean up -
that's free money.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #11 - Jun 22nd, 2017 at 8:49am

Advertising revenue.

They deserve a cut of the profits.

But!

The biggest brawl will happen after Conor McGregor gets knocked out within the first few seconds of the opening round. Patrons will scream blue murder that they didn't get their money's worth.

And advertisers will be screaming the same because the fight won't last long enough for them to have a few commercial breaks to advertise their wares.

I've seen all of McGregor's fights, and so far as his boxing ability goes he's a one-trick pony: An extremely accurate puncher with unbelievably hard fists for someone of his weight-class, but that's about it. No defensive skills worth talking about ~ and that's the Achilles Heel that will see him go 'bye-byes' within seconds of Mayweather laying gloves on him.

BUT!

It's my guess that both fighters will be 'coached' long before the opening bell to make it a commercially viable spectacle for the paying audience and the advertisers, and to therefore look tough and menacing for at least a few rounds while peanuts and popcorn are being peddled to the seated audience.

It is America after all, where showmanship was invented and where suckers like Marla are born every minute ...   

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #12 - Jun 22nd, 2017 at 8:50am

Jasin wrote on Jun 21st, 2017 at 10:04pm:

Interesting.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #13 - Jun 22nd, 2017 at 7:16pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Jun 22nd, 2017 at 8:49am:

Advertising revenue.

They deserve a cut of the profits.

But!

The biggest brawl will happen after Conor McGregor gets knocked out within the first few seconds of the opening round. Patrons will scream blue murder that they didn't get their money's worth.

And advertisers will be screaming the same because the fight won't last long enough for them to have a few commercial breaks to advertise their wares.

I've seen all of McGregor's fights, and so far as his boxing ability goes he's a one-trick pony: An extremely accurate puncher with unbelievably hard fists for someone of his weight-class, but that's about it. No defensive skills worth talking about ~ and that's the Achilles Heel that will see him go 'bye-byes' within seconds of Mayweather laying gloves on him.

BUT!

It's my guess that both fighters will be 'coached' long before the opening bell to make it a commercially viable spectacle for the paying audience and the advertisers, and to therefore look tough and menacing for at least a few rounds while peanuts and popcorn are being peddled to the seated audience.

It is America after all, where showmanship was invented and where suckers like Marla are born every minute ...   

Perhaps yes but McGregor should have had to work his way up
in boxing by fighting lower ranked opponents first.

The whole concept is not fair.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jun 22nd, 2017 at 7:27pm

Bobby. wrote on Jun 22nd, 2017 at 6:23am:
rhino wrote on Jun 21st, 2017 at 11:32pm:

I suggest you make a huge sports bet & clean up -
that's free money.
The odds on Mayweather are 1.18, I wouldnt waste my time

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 15
Send Topic Print