Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 32
Send Topic Print
Hanson on Autistic kids (Read 19909 times)
Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Hanson on Autistic kids
Jun 21st, 2017 at 7:10pm

This is a tough one I'm torn over.

In year 3 my daughter had an extremely slow learner and a kid on the spectrum in her class, and those two kids dominated half the teachers time. Luckily my wife and I are very proactive regarding her education so she wasn't effected but other kids in that class fell behind.

I sway from feeling fine about it and accepting that by me having to do extra work with my kid because the teacher is helping the needy kids as doing my bit for society,  then at times I'm pissed off there isn't a more suitable class for these kids.

Thoughts?

Autistic children are 'holding our kids back': Senator Pauline Hanson

Students with disabilities should be removed from mainstream classrooms because they are putting a strain on teachers and schools, One Nation Senator Pauline Hanson has told parliament.

"These kids have a right to an education by all means," Senator Hanson said

"But if there is a number of them, these children should go into a special classroom and be... given that special attention because most of the time the teachers spend so much time on them.

"They forget about the child who … wants to go ahead [in] leaps and bounds in their education."

Senator Hanson told the Senate on Wednesday that she was supporting the federal government's Gonski 2.0 school funding plan because she feared education standards were plummeting, citing poor maths results and the Safe Schools program.

But it was comments she made about students with autism that has enraged the disability sector and ignited Twitter.

"We can't afford to hold our kids back: we have the rest of the world and other kids in other countries who are going ahead [in] leaps and bounds ahead of us," Senator Hanson said. 

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/autistic-children-are-hold...

IBI

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Re: Hanson on Autistic kids
Reply #1 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 7:23pm

Pink Floyd put it well in their album "The Division Bell".

Having 'Autistic' or any other 'different' kid in the class does provide other normal and even 'excellent' kids a sense of 'understanding', humility, patience and more.

Selfishness governs the need to create kids who excel so far, that they become 'self serving' for their own accomplishments.
They also become 'over-achievers'.

The Navy Divers never pick the 'best' Diver, nor the traditional worst. The Best Diver will never be a team player, will eventually ignore 'command' and go it alone, etc. The Navy Divers pick the 'Grey Zone' in between the best and worst. It's like having good line and length while bowling middle-stump ...as Glenn McGrath would say.  Wink

Autism?
Its a tough one and I try not to be too 'emotionally' attached to poor little johnny just sitting and staring - to find the answer.

But because I work for the Dark Side ("It's horrible to hear, but its the truth at least for once") - I guess I ask the question:

Why is there a growth in the Sit & Stare Autistic disease sweeping the 'Technologically dependent Nations'?
Is it because generation after generation are finding themselves sitting and just staring at various things...
...like the road in front of them (soon the cars will do the driving for them  Roll Eyes ), the Computer Screen, the TV, the Phone and more?
Stare into the Screen and let it do the thinking for you.
TV's or Monitor Screens and Billboards are EVERYWHERE. Train Stations, Offices, Waiting Rooms, Toilets, the rear of a seat in a car, bunks in caravans, alleyway walls, etc, etc.
You can't go a block without a 'Screen' pumping something at you in low radiation.

Stop, Sit and Stare  Shocked

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #2 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 7:29pm

Jasin I agree about having special needs kids in the general population of schools,  but wouldn't a special needs class be more appropriate?

IBI

IP Logged

Mistress Nicole
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 7:31pm

Gordon wrote on Jun 21st, 2017 at 7:10pm:
This is a tough one I'm torn over.

In year 3 my daughter had an extremely slow learner and a kid on the spectrum in her class, and those two kids dominated half the teachers time. Luckily my wife and I are very proactive regarding her education so she wasn't effected but other kids in that class fell behind.

I sway from feeling fine about it and accepting that by me having to do extra work with my kid because the teacher is helping the needy kids as doing my bit for society,  then at times I'm pissed off there isn't a more suitable class for these kids.

Thoughts?

Autistic children are 'holding our kids back': Senator Pauline Hanson

Students with disabilities should be removed from mainstream classrooms because they are putting a strain on teachers and schools, One Nation Senator Pauline Hanson has told parliament.

"These kids have a right to an education by all means," Senator Hanson said

"But if there is a number of them, these children should go into a special classroom and be... given that special attention because most of the time the teachers spend so much time on them.

"They forget about the child who … wants to go ahead [in] leaps and bounds in their education."

Senator Hanson told the Senate on Wednesday that she was supporting the federal government's Gonski 2.0 school funding plan because she feared education standards were plummeting, citing poor maths results and the Safe Schools program.

But it was comments she made about students with autism that has enraged the disability sector and ignited Twitter.

"We can't afford to hold our kids back: we have the rest of the world and other kids in other countries who are going ahead [in] leaps and bounds ahead of us," Senator Hanson said. 

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/autistic-children-are-hold...

I feel quite strongly about this Gordy.  I think Hansons got it right.

IP Logged

President Elect, The Mechanic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 7:32pm

Hanson is 100% right..

Mummies don't like putting their retarded kids into special needs schools..

(see Forest Gump)

but ffs... if they are children who are in need for Special needs then they go to a Special Needs School...

STOP TRING TO PRETEND THAT THEY ARE NORMAL BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT...

AND, with more and more women waiting until later to have their children there are going to be a lot more kids that are retarded...

I've done a lot of work with special needs children and a lot of parents are either in need of, special needs themselves... or.. they are older women who had children late for one reason or another..

some of the most rewarding work that I've done in my life was working with special needs children...

they are great kids...  Smiley

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 7:48pm

Gordon wrote on Jun 21st, 2017 at 7:29pm:
Jasin I agree about having special needs kids in the general population of schools,  but wouldn't a special needs class be more appropriate?

Well Gordy,
It's really a 50/50 thing.
It can be a lose/lose or a win/win - depending how you tackle it.

Let me see. When I was young, the worst punishment (Cane and Detention was a laugh) was the 'humiliation' punishment.
I was put in either a year-class above or below.
The older kids would look at me and mock "Check out the wannabe, not as smart as he thinks."
The younger kids would look at me and mock "Are you stoopid or something?"
It kinda put things into perspective when 'looking outside the square', etc and understanding what it means to be 'under-achiever' as well as OVER-ACHIEVER ...something this country is starting to be plagued with.

So too does it sit with the 'more than ONE right answer' to this problem. Why does there always have to be only 'one' right answer?  Huh  Roll Eyes

Yes - it would benefit the other kids immensely if a 'special needs' student was in the class.
Yes - it would benefit the other kids immensely if 'special needs' kids were segregated into their own classes.
We do after-all segregate kids into different levels of Maths pending ability. I was in Maths in Space (lowest level) as we called it.

I think we need both and this is the hard 'basket' thing.
By 'intergrating' - we kinda stick to the traditional 'middle-class' Australia thing, rather than separate to the extreme like they do in USA.
Having students dealing with Special Needs students and very high Achieving Students too, really does a lot of good for 'everyone' - it really builds the best of character in students. School should not just be about 'subjects' it should also be a School about 'Life'.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 7:48pm

I think a few people need to educate themselves on Autistic Spectrum Disorder.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 7:49pm

President Elect, The Mechanic wrote on Jun 21st, 2017 at 7:32pm:
Hanson is 100% right..

Mummies don't like putting their retarded kids into special needs schools..

(see Forest Gump)

but ffs... if they are children who are in need for Special needs then they go to a Special Needs School...

STOP TRING TO PRETEND THAT THEY ARE NORMAL BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT...

AND, with more and more women waiting until later to have their children there are going to be a lot more kids that are retarded...

I've done a lot of work with special needs children and a lot of parents are either in need of, special needs themselves... or.. they are older women who had children late for one reason or another..

some of the most rewarding work that I've done in my life was working with special needs children...

they are great kids...  Smiley

Does this go with them trying to teach kids that Homo-Sexuality is a 'normal' sexual practice (for 'health' reasons - I think not)? Huh

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 8:25pm

Someone with whom I correspond was a teacher. His solution is a 50/50 day each week where those with special needs could interact with other kids, but still maintain their own classes.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 8:41pm

The obvious solution is more funding.

Smaller class sizes and the provision of teacher's aides.

It's good for all of the children to be exposed routinely to diversity.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #10 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 8:44pm

mothra wrote on Jun 21st, 2017 at 8:41pm:
The obvious solution is more funding.

Smaller class sizes and the provision of teacher's aides.

It's good for all of the children to be exposed routinely to diversity.

Good thing Hanson voted for G2.

IBI

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #11 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 8:56pm

Just heard on ABC new that special schools are getting a huge boost under Gonsky2

Great to hear!

IBI

IP Logged

President Elect, The Mechanic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 9:04pm

no,..

Australia's solution is throwing money AT THINGS..

we keep putting more and more money into Education but OUR EDUCATION levels keep dropping..

so the obvious solution IS NOT MONEY..

only someone who needs more education would say such an idiotic statement..

over seas schools out rank australia on education and spend Millions and Millions of dollars less than Australia does...

so the SOLUTION..

IS NOT..

more money...

thats the Labor way of doing things...

THROW MONEY AT IT... THAT'LL FIX IT.. DURRRRR  Cheesy

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #13 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 9:05pm

lee wrote on Jun 21st, 2017 at 8:25pm:
Someone with whom I correspond was a teacher. His solution is a 50/50 day each week where those with special needs could interact with other kids, but still maintain their own classes.

This sounds very sensible.
It recognises and supports the 'difference' of all students,
but also teaches them that they all have something in common and that they are all the same 'fellow students'.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #14 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 9:13pm

President Elect, The Mechanic wrote on Jun 21st, 2017 at 9:04pm:
no,..

Australia's solution is throwing money AT THINGS..

we keep putting more and more money into Education but OUR EDUCATION levels keep dropping..

so the obvious solution IS NOT MONEY..

only someone who needs more education would say such an idiotic statement..

over seas schools out rank australia on education and spend Millions and Millions of dollars less than Australia does...

so the SOLUTION..

IS NOT..

more money...

thats the Labor way of doing things...

THROW MONEY AT IT... THAT'LL FIX IT.. DURRRRR  Cheesy

Last week my daughter's school debating team went to a neighbouring school and we were invited to watch.

There was one whole class that didn't have a class room and they used hot desking and lessons in the hall to get around it. Sydney schools are chokka block full and only money can build new ones.

Btw can you see a link between house prices, over crowded schools and immigration to Sydney?

IBI

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 32
Send Topic Print