Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fruit And Veg Supplier Caught Underpaying Worker (Read 383 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Fruit And Veg Supplier Caught Underpaying Worker
Jun 21st, 2017 at 7:26am

Fruit and veg supplier underpaid worker $23,000   Sad
The Weekly Times
June 20, 2017

A VICTORIAN fruit and vegetable wholesaler been caught underpaying a worker more than $23,000.   Sad

The company, which supplies high-profile Melbourne hotels and restaurants, is overhauling its workplace practices following a Fair Work Ombudsman investigation.

Flavours Fruit and Veg has back-paid the worker in full and agreed to commission a professional audit of its pay practices covering the previous three years and rectify any underpayments discovered.

The business will also make a $5000 donation to community legal centre Jobwatch. 

FWO inspectors investigated the matter after receiving a request for assistance from a worker who had been employed as a packer at Flavours Fruit and Veg’s warehouse at Tullamarine between July 2014 and August last year.

Most of the underpayment related to overtime work.

The company that operates the Flavours Fruit and Veg business, Pristine Employment Solutions Pty Ltd, agreed to an enforceable undertaking as an alternative to litigation.

Fair Work Ombudsman Natalie James said given concerns that the company’s use of flat rates may have led to other employees being underpaid, the company committing to rectifying all underpayments since 2014 was a key factor in the decision to resolve the matter with an enforceable undertaking.

“Using EUs allows us to achieve outcomes that may not be possible through the more resource-intensive and adversarial litigation process,” Ms James said.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Fruit And Veg Supplier Caught Underpaying Worker
Reply #1 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 8:19am

you do have a lot of instances of employers underpaying workers.

it must be up to maybe a dozen employers you have unearthed now, out of perhaps a million businesses.

perhaps we could invite employers to post about workers caught who are stealing from their employer by being on the internet at work.
do you think currently in australia, there might possibly be an employee who is on facebook or a public servant who is having a gossip around the water cooler.  could such a possibility exist ?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 8:30am

aquascoot wrote on Jun 21st, 2017 at 8:19am:

it must be up to maybe a dozen employers you have unearthed now, out of perhaps a million businesses.

Your ignorance, and support for employers who break the law, is astounding.

This is just superannuation:

http://www.smh.com.au/business/workplace-relations/employers-are-underpaying-24m...

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #3 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 8:38am

perhaps we could invite employers to post about workers caught who are stealing from their employer by being on the internet at work.
do you think currently in australia, there might possibly be an employee who is on facebook or a public servant who is having a gossip around the water cooler.  could such a possibility exist ?

In my experience it's the poor bums on the bottom of the ladder who always get ripped off and have the least opportunities for time theft.  The high end are motivated and get the job done,  whatever it takes.

The bunch in the middle,  unionised and institutionalised are the worst.

Oh and the worst examples I've encountered for time theft......Your ABC

IBI

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 8:38am

I was an employer and I hate seeing the crooks not paying their staff.

I also saw lots of underpayment,,, and tried to stop it while working in another industry.
From what I have seen its widespread around Australia.

I have heard that in my old employment a new manager has cleaned up the underpayment, which is sensible because it is a big debt building up once you get caught.

What really pissed me off was that in the old job the payroll staff were the ones complicit and telling me not to mention the underpayment.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 8:49am

Gordon wrote on Jun 21st, 2017 at 8:38am:

In my experience it's the poor bums on the bottom of the ladder who always get ripped off and have the least opportunities for time theft.  The high end are motivated and get the job done,  whatever it takes.

yes true Gordon.

a good workplace has to be like a good marriage.
you are probably going to spend more time in your workplace then in your marriage (for many people).

there has to be a win/win.
there has to be positive mutual regard
there has to be a feeling of synergy and contribution and a willingness to really have the best interests of o"other" at heart
then 1+1=  11.

if you dont like your boss, you should leave
dont stay in an abusive relationship.

gough whitlam brought in the idea of the easy divorce.
this should apply to the work relationship as well.
if either party feels "this is just not working for me" then it should be a quick and easy and painfree divorce.
certainly the laws around unfair dismissal are silly.
if a boss doesnt feel an employee is fulfilling his needs, the boss needs to have an absolute rite to stop dating this employee. this seems logical and fair.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 9:51am

aquascoot wrote on Jun 21st, 2017 at 8:49am:
if a boss doesnt feel an employee is fulfilling his needs, the boss needs to have an absolute rite to stop dating this employee. this seems logical and fair.

And it happens, every single day.

This nonsense about unfair dismissal laws stopping employers from sacking bad employees is just that - nonsense.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #7 - Jun 22nd, 2017 at 11:49am

aquascoot wrote on Jun 21st, 2017 at 8:49am:
Gordon wrote on Jun 21st, 2017 at 8:38am:

yes true Gordon.

a good workplace has to be like a good marriage.
you are probably going to spend more time in your workplace then in your marriage (for many people).

there has to be a win/win.
there has to be positive mutual regard
there has to be a feeling of synergy and contribution and a willingness to really have the best interests of o"other" at heart
then 1+1=  11.

if you dont like your boss, you should leave
dont stay in an abusive relationship.

gough whitlam brought in the idea of the easy divorce.
this should apply to the work relationship as well.
if either party feels "this is just not working for me" then it should be a quick and easy and painfree divorce.
certainly the laws around unfair dismissal are silly.

AHH
But its such fun to really get on a boss's nerves when they are asses.

I once worked for a company who expected you to travel in your own time.
They of course charged the clients for that travel.
When I brought up the idea of at least paying a percentage of that travel time back to us who traveled, I was told that if I didn't like it I could leave.

I stayed, just long enough to start a practice that, to this day, has severely impacted on that companies profits.
I read the laws, I read the procedures, I studied the ins and outs of the policies and legal ramifications of the working man and his obligations.
I found my loophole.
I only traveled in working hours.
If I was going somewhere, I left home at my usual starting time and only traveled during working hours.
This meant that a normal 5 day week was no longer 5 full days of chargeable time, plus my travel time at 1/2 rate.
It was now 3 full days and two days travel time, in other words they lost two full days at $2500.00 a day.
All because they were too stingy to give me a percentage of the money they charged for my time.

How many hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions this has cost them, Ill never know.
But I always get a warm feeling when ever I see them around, knowing I screwed them more than they screwed me.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print