Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SA: The Treeless State (Read 2301 times)
Jasin
Gold Member

SA: The Treeless State
Jun 4th, 2017 at 8:50pm

Been  to SA a number of times.
I do love the State and the people are super nice.
Coming from NSW, I found myself fitting in like a Victorian does in QLD.
Of course though, I don't mention the 'water' issue via the Murray - which QLD & NSW drain most of it before it gets to trickle into SA.

There are a few things though, that I didn't like about SA.
Most of all - the lack of Trees.

There are 'pockets' of Eucalypt Forests or Bushland. But it looked like only 10% of SA has large Tree forestation.
There is a lot of small bush everywhere.
But nothing really 'shady' if you know what I mean.

A place called Burra was probably the worst.
Nothing but endless 'baige' everywhere: wheatfields and baige sandstone colonial buildings. Everything was bland and beige. Hardly a tree in sight.

Now they cry about a lack of water in SA.
They even have a pipeline that runs all around the Spencer Gulf from near Adelaide to Port Lincoln - to transport water.

How sad it is that they don't realise that 'Trees' both attract and create 'rain'. Something that very dry State needs desperately.

Their only other alternative is to build a gigantic CANAL from the monsoon dripping NT down into their State.

Other than this. SA - great place, great people.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: SA: The Treeless State
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2017 at 8:51pm

How sad.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 11:14am

Jasin wrote on Jun 4th, 2017 at 8:50pm:
Been  to SA a number of times.
I do love the State and the people are super nice.
Coming from NSW, I found myself fitting in like a Victorian does in QLD.
Of course though, I don't mention the 'water' issue via the Murray - which QLD & NSW drain most of it before it gets to trickle into SA.

There are a few things though, that I didn't like about SA.
Most of all - the lack of Trees.

There are 'pockets' of Eucalypt Forests or Bushland. But it looked like only 10% of SA has large Tree forestation.
There is a lot of small bush everywhere.
But nothing really 'shady' if you know what I mean.

A place called Burra was probably the worst.
Nothing but endless 'baige' everywhere: wheatfields and baige sandstone colonial buildings. Everything was bland and beige. Hardly a tree in sight.

Now they cry about a lack of water in SA.
They even have a pipeline that runs all around the Spencer Gulf from near Adelaide to Port Lincoln - to transport water.

How sad it is that they don't realise that 'Trees' both attract and create 'rain'. Something that very dry State needs desperately.

Their only other alternative is to build a gigantic CANAL from the monsoon dripping NT down into their State.

Other than this. SA - great place, great people.

I live in SA JAsin and you are very correct it is mainly devoid of and real water resources and I find that very sad-I live out on the fringes of the Nullabor and it is semi desert most of the state- and if you hit the Nullabor you are in for a real shock- a very harsh climate in SA- that is why I cherish the colder months ( right now). I have traversed most of this state- inland Simpson Desert as well, dry all over.

It is a fact that NSW drain most of the beautiful Murray dry and we see very little of it- the Murray in SA is in dire need of attention and no one seems to care- yes we need a lot more trees and a lot more money pumped into this state. But SA is always last on the list when it comes to good environmental policy measures.

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Jun 10th, 2017 at 7:38pm

I've been as far west in South Australia as Coffin Bay.
There are trees in the very southern tip of the Eyre Peninsula, but that's as good as it gets.

I do think that SA can change for the better as I find it the most 'progressive' State when it comes to New Ideas and ventures towards 'change'. Changes that are very Australian, rather than just 'replications' handed down from the UK or USA.

I lived in the Riverina and saw the benefits of 'Irrigation' canals and set-ups.
No reason why SA can't do the same - heaps of Monsoon water can filter down into SA.

I think SA spends most of its interest in making money from Fishing out in the Bight and Beyond. So the idea of a possible benefit 'inland' is of no real interest currently.

I loved SA !
I also love NZ.
So I've settled for something in between.

I would live in the Eyre Peninsula easy!

South Australia is a great State and is the first State to always look outside the box.

I hope they one day make a very dedicated venture towards planting Forests (not just Pine for cutting down).
But Forests that can moisten the soils, accommodate irrigation waterways and more.

Until then.

So what's life like out in the Nullarbor>?

I reckon you would at least meet many a tourist and traveller to break the monotony of you day.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2017 at 7:57pm

Jasin wrote on Jun 10th, 2017 at 7:38pm:
I've been as far west in South Australia as Coffin Bay.
There are trees in the very southern tip of the Eyre Peninsula, but that's as good as it gets.

I do think that SA can change for the better as I find it the most 'progressive' State when it comes to New Ideas and ventures towards 'change'. Changes that are very Australian, rather than just 'replications' handed down from the UK or USA.

I lived in the Riverina and saw the benefits of 'Irrigation' canals and set-ups.
No reason why SA can't do the same - heaps of Monsoon water can filter down into SA.

I think SA spends most of its interest in making money from Fishing out in the Bight and Beyond. So the idea of a possible benefit 'inland' is of no real interest currently.

I loved SA !
I also love NZ.
So I've settled for something in between.

I would live in the Eyre Peninsula easy!

South Australia is a great State and is the first State to always look outside the box.

I hope they one day make a very dedicated venture towards planting Forests (not just Pine for cutting down).
But Forests that can moisten the soils, accommodate irrigation waterways and more.

Until then.

So what's life like out in the Nullarbor>?

I reckon you would at least meet many a tourist and traveller to break the monotony of you day.

Water doesn't flow from north to south.
Beware venturing anywhere in SA.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Jun 10th, 2017 at 8:14pm

Hi Jeez

I should elaborate.
The Northern Territory floods a lot during the Monsoon season.
No reason why that water can be 'drained' away (partially) via a network of Irrigation canals into a main canal down through the nation and into South Australia to fan out into another network of irrigation canals.

Can spend billions of $$ on other things and build railways, etc.
Why not a 'Canal'?
The evaporative effect along its course would also benefit the surrounding environment along the way.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jun 10th, 2017 at 9:13pm

Jasin wrote on Jun 10th, 2017 at 8:14pm:
Hi Jeez

I should elaborate.
No reason why that water can be 'drained' away (partially) via a network of Irrigation canals into a main canal down through the nation and into South Australia to fan out into another network of irrigation canals.

Why not a 'Canal'?
The evaporative effect along its course would also benefit the surrounding environment along the way.

Canals can only go downhill.
SA is a very inhospitable place.
The Eyre Peninsular is probably the most dangerous place in Australia, KEEP OUT.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Jun 11th, 2017 at 10:55pm

Johnnie wrote on Jun 10th, 2017 at 9:13pm:
Jasin wrote on Jun 10th, 2017 at 8:14pm:
Hi Jeez

I should elaborate.

Why not a 'Canal'?

Canals can only go downhill.
SA is a very inhospitable place.
The Eyre Peninsular is probably the most dangerous place in Australia, KEEP OUT.

Lol.
You belong in QLD (Wally World)  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print