Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Australian troops to Afghanistan tip the balance (Read 1047 times)
Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Australian troops to Afghanistan tip the balance
May 29th, 2017 at 4:22pm

Wowee, 30 Australian super troopers. The 13,000 NATO troops can now put their feet up.

Meanwhile, who is protecting Australia at home? Only Bighole64 is left. Wait Max Payne's wife has put her hand up.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-40081169

Quote:
Australia to send 30 additional troops to Afghanistan

Australia will increase its troop presence in Afghanistan following a formal request from the US, Canberra has said.
The 30 new military advisers will raise Australia's total deployment to 300, Defence Minister Marise Payne said.

Earlier this month, US authorities recommended sending at least 3,000 more soldiers to fight the Taliban.
In February, the commander of US troops in Afghanistan said he needed more troops to break a "stalemate".
Ms Payne told a Senate estimates hearing that the troops would help train Afghan security forces.

"Given the centrality of Afghanistan in the global fight against terrorism, an enhanced Australian contribution to the resolute support mission is both timely and appropriate," she said on Monday.

Ms Payne said she expected other nations in the military coalition to also commit additional forces.
US combat operations against the Taliban officially ended in 2014, but special forces have continued to provide support to Afghan troops.

There are about 13,000 Nato troops currently in the country.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

Ramp7

Australian Politics

Re: Australian troops to Afghanistan tip the balance
Reply #1 - May 29th, 2017 at 4:31pm

30 more troops to assist training Afghan troops to fight the Taliban so little girls can go to school, stop women being stoned to death and stuff.

All good.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #2 - May 29th, 2017 at 4:34pm

Unforgiven wrote on May 29th, 2017 at 4:22pm:
Wowee, 30 Australian super troopers. The 13,000 NATO troops can now put their feet up.

Meanwhile, who is protecting Australia at home? Only Bighole64 is left. Wait Max Payne's wife has put her hand up.

Quote:

Australia will increase its troop presence in Afghanistan following a formal request from the US, Canberra has said.
The 30 new military advisers will raise Australia's total deployment to 300, Defence Minister Marise Payne said.

Earlier this month, US authorities recommended sending at least 3,000 more soldiers to fight the Taliban.
In February, the commander of US troops in Afghanistan said he needed more troops to break a "stalemate".
Ms Payne told a Senate estimates hearing that the troops would help train Afghan security forces.

"Given the centrality of Afghanistan in the global fight against terrorism, an enhanced Australian contribution to the resolute support mission is both timely and appropriate," she said on Monday.

Ms Payne said she expected other nations in the military coalition to also commit additional forces.
US combat operations against the Taliban officially ended in 2014, but special forces have continued to provide support to Afghan troops.

You idiot!  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #3 - May 29th, 2017 at 4:57pm

BigOl64 wrote on May 29th, 2017 at 4:34pm:
Unforgiven wrote on May 29th, 2017 at 4:22pm:

Quote:

You idiot!  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Ms Payne: "Bighole64, I can see Indonesia from your house."

IP Logged

Francis
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - May 29th, 2017 at 5:08pm

Solves nothing  in Afghanistan  . Increases our risk in Australia.

No tenemos miedo!

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #5 - May 29th, 2017 at 5:33pm

Francis wrote on May 29th, 2017 at 5:08pm:
Solves nothing  in Afghanistan  . Increases our risk in Australia.

Now it were 30 nukes.........that might beva different story

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #6 - May 29th, 2017 at 6:33pm

I watched War Machine last night.... very interesting about strategy in Afghanistan, and the lack of a clear vision.

'break a deadlock'?  All they can do is kill 'Taliban' until there are no more left.

Never happen, and the result will be the same regardless - once the 'Allies' withdraw, the place will return to its hardline Islamic state (oops - me bad).... the US should be prepared to heli-lift people from the roof of the Embassy in Kabul...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - May 29th, 2017 at 7:02pm

Quote:
I watched War Machine last night....

I did too, Netflix, yesterday afternoon....and there we are still doing the same stupid thing, exactly the same stupid thing.

I had to laugh when Russell Crow turned up for that cameo in the final scene.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #8 - May 29th, 2017 at 7:22pm

Perhaps we should give the Taliban the opportunity to surrender before the 30 Australian Super Troopers get serious?

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - May 29th, 2017 at 8:04pm

Aussie wrote on May 29th, 2017 at 7:02pm:
Quote:

I did too, Netflix, yesterday afternoon....and there we are still doing the same stupid thing, exactly the same stupid thing.

Love the way he did the exact same walk... that was good work....

'and so we got... BOB'......

It's (not) funny how even the McMahon character 'understood' that killing locals who were fending off invaders was not the way to win 'hearts and minds' - and only generated MORE insurgents - but never realised the end of that reasoning.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - May 29th, 2017 at 8:11pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on May 29th, 2017 at 8:04pm:
Aussie wrote on May 29th, 2017 at 7:02pm:
Quote:

Love the way he did the exact same walk... that was good work....

'and so we got... BOB'......

It's (not) funny how even the McMahon character 'understood' that killing locals who were fending off invaders was not the way to win 'hearts and minds' - and only generated MORE insurgents - but never realised the end of that reasoning.

Yeah...ten minus two does not equal eight, it equals 20.

Yeah, I reckon that movie is a huge piss take with the cliched caricatures....yet it did make the point....WTF are we doing there repeating the same insanity?

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - May 29th, 2017 at 9:17pm

"Is everybody happy?" cried the Sergeant, looking up.

Our hero feebly answered "yes," and then they stood him up.

He leaped right out into the blast, his static line unhooked.

He ain’t gonna jump no more.

CHORUS:

Gory, Gory, What a helluva way to die

He ain’t gonna jump no more.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print