Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Sad (Read 10911 times)
mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Sad
May 26th, 2017 at 7:18pm

An older man who lived a few houses up from me died last Saturday. He was an alcoholic and alone, but he owned a cat which he loved dearly. I should have gone up there earlier to check on the cat, but I assumed his relatives would be looking after his affairs.

When I drove past the house today  - the dead man's daughter was in the front yard talking to her boyfriend. I asked her about the cat and told her that her father had needed help in his last months.  She admitted she hadn't seen her father for 20 years and had no concern for his cat, but would dispose of it next week if she had some spare time.

I went up later with a bag of food. The cat was hiding under a pile of rubbish on the front veranda in an unfenced yard. Fortunately the neighbour next door has been haphazardly feeding it. I found an open tin of food - full of maggots competing with the ants.

The cat was terrified, desperate for human company and obviously hungry. I fed it until it was full and put a blanket under an old chair so it could at least keep warm tonight.

You would think that someone who had just inherited a house would have at least cleaned up the front yard, taken away the rubbish and fed her benefactor's cat and made it comfortable - but no. The cat meant as much to her as her father did. He was a sweet man to the neighbours, but maybe not so good to his only child if she cared so little about his life.

My daughter will take it up to the RSPCA tomorrow. Not a good fate for the poor cat, but it will be given a little shelter and attention before it's euthanised.
« Last Edit: May 26th, 2017 at 8:55pm by mantra »  

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Re: Sad
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2017 at 8:50pm

It's people like you who restore my faith in the human race, Mantra. That's a sad little vignette of suburban life, and probably one that's all too familiar.

Just within a minute's walk from my place in either direction there's been 8 of us who live alone with a pet. We lazy ones keep cats because we don't have to walk them, and of the dog-owners only one was ever walked.

I've just spent my usual daily dose of 90 minutes of TV with a large male black tom sprawled over my chest with one sharply clawed paw digging into my shoulder to prevent 'slippage' that would collapse him down into my lap.

It's a constant worry with elderly people as to what will happen to their beloved pet/s after they've gone, with part of this worry being that the cat or dog will be transferred to a much less pleasant and loving circumstance.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #2 - May 26th, 2017 at 9:29pm

mantra wrote on May 26th, 2017 at 7:18pm:
An older man who lived a few houses up from me died last Saturday. He was an alcoholic and alone, but he owned a cat which he loved dearly. I should have gone up there earlier to check on the cat, but I assumed his relatives would be looking after his affairs.

When I drove past the house today  - the dead man's daughter was in the front yard talking to her boyfriend. I asked her about the cat and told her that her father had needed help in his last months.  She admitted she hadn't seen her father for 20 years and had no concern for his cat, but would dispose of it next week if she had some spare time.

I went up later with a bag of food. The cat was hiding under a pile of rubbish on the front veranda in an unfenced yard. Fortunately the neighbour next door has been haphazardly feeding it. I found an open tin of food - full of maggots competing with the ants.

The cat was terrified, desperate for human company and obviously hungry. I fed it until it was full and put a blanket under an old chair so it could at least keep warm tonight.

You would think that someone who had just inherited a house would have at least cleaned up the front yard, taken away the rubbish and fed her benefactor's cat and made it comfortable - but no. The cat meant as much to her as her father did. He was a sweet man to the neighbours, but maybe not so good to his only child if she cared so little about his life.

My daughter will take it up to the RSPCA tomorrow. Not a good fate for the poor cat, but it will be given a little shelter and attention before it's euthanised.

Mantra there would be adoption no kill shelters in your area- I am getting my girl from one of these shelters The RSPCA may just put it down- a no kill shelter will take care of it until they can adopt it too someone if not they keep it until-  please try for an adoption shelter in your area  the cat will be loved and taken care of until he/she can find a new home - a shame about the daughter-

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #3 - May 26th, 2017 at 9:32pm

The Animal Welfare League never euthanase the pets handed into them.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #4 - May 28th, 2017 at 10:58am

Agnes wrote on May 26th, 2017 at 9:29pm:
Mantra there would be adoption no kill shelters in your area- I am getting my girl from one of these shelters The RSPCA may just put it down- a no kill shelter will take care of it until they can adopt it too someone if not they keep it until-  please try for an adoption shelter in your area  the cat will be loved and taken care of until he/she can find a new home - a shame about the daughter-

Good idea AG. RSPCA animals only have a 50% chance of survival. I've found a no kill shelter in the area, but I haven't taken her there yet. I've made her comfortable with a pile of old jumpers in a cosy enclosed corner and my daughter goes up there twice a day to feed it and give it some affection. This cat just sits there all day and waits for food and a cuddle. She would make someone a lovely pet. I might have taken her in if Ruffy the housecat wasn't so aggressive and territorial towards other animals. He would hurt her.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #5 - May 28th, 2017 at 11:14am

Lord Herbert wrote on May 26th, 2017 at 8:50pm:
It's people like you who restore my faith in the human race, Mantra. That's a sad little vignette of suburban life, and probably one that's all too familiar.

Yes I've seen it all before Herbert. It would have been easier not to get involved, but when it's almost on my doorstep - it's hard not to.

Quote:
Just within a minute's walk from my place in either direction there's been 8 of us who live alone with a pet. We lazy ones keep cats because we don't have to walk them, and of the dog-owners only one was ever walked.

Herbert the only advice I can give to anyone no matter how young or old - if you love your pets make an emergency provision for them with someone - anyone. I saw the cat owner the day before he died walking to the shops. He looked like death. I was driving - I should have offered him some help because my first thought was what's going to happen to his cat when he dies. 

Quote:
I've just spent my usual daily dose of 90 minutes of TV with a large male black tom sprawled over my chest with one sharply clawed paw digging into my shoulder to prevent 'slippage' that would collapse him down into my lap.

Ruffy tries that on me. The moment I sit down - he's slyly climbing onto my body. He gets into trouble if he uses that middle claw for grip. If he gets comfortable and I want to get up - he digs it in when I drag him off me.

Quote:
It's a constant worry with elderly people as to what will happen to their beloved pet/s after they've gone, with part of this worry being that the cat or dog will be transferred to a much less pleasant and loving circumstance.

Herbert - type up an addendum to your will. You can sign it and don't need a witness. Leave Animal Welfare a few dollars if they come and pick your cats up. Don't leave them to fate.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #6 - May 28th, 2017 at 8:11pm

mantra wrote on May 28th, 2017 at 10:58am:
Agnes wrote on May 26th, 2017 at 9:29pm:

Good idea AG. RSPCA animals only have a 50% chance of survival. I've found a no kill shelter in the area, but I haven't taken her there yet. I've made her comfortable with a pile of old jumpers in a cosy enclosed corner and my daughter goes up there twice a day to feed it and give it some affection. This cat just sits there all day and waits for food and a cuddle. She would make someone a lovely pet. I might have taken her in if Ruffy the housecat wasn't so aggressive and territorial towards other animals. He would hurt her.

mantra male and female cats get along fine- its female to female where you will have a problem- ruffy would love this new girl- they both need company by the sounds of it- she is lonely~ ruffy would not be so needy with you all the time either~ I think it will work tbh - my girl is here tomorrow and I already have black male~ they will be ok together I am sure- My girl will go back to the shelter if I am hit by a bus - that is the beauty of these shelters- they always take back their rescues if they find themselves homelesss again and they take any cat that you cannot keep anymore they dont want to see them homeless~ they are run by pp who really love cats- I am going to donate to  my kittys shelter- they do amazing work and they really care

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - May 29th, 2017 at 7:59am

well done mantra...my two cats are jogging along in years   one a few years older than the other...but I have made up my mind no more when its their time...I do enjoy them  and they give me a reason for being.. but the chances of me outliving another young animal is not that great   and although I dread the thought I could also end up in aged care...

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #8 - May 29th, 2017 at 2:02pm

Agnes wrote on May 28th, 2017 at 8:11pm:
mantra male and female cats get along fine- its female to female where you will have a problem- ruffy would love this new girl- they both need company by the sounds of it- she is lonely~ ruffy would not be so needy with you all the time either~ I think it will work tbh - my girl is here tomorrow and I already have black male~ they will be ok together I am sure- My girl will go back to the shelter if I am hit by a bus - that is the beauty of these shelters- they always take back their rescues if they find themselves homelesss again and they take any cat that you cannot keep anymore they dont want to see them homeless~ they are run by pp who really love cats- I am going to donate to  my kittys shelter- they do amazing work and they really care

Male and female cats don't always get on AG. Ruffy drove a female cat who was here before him away from the house. She would be gone for days hiding out in all sorts of weather. It was a nightmare. This gentle little cat ended up with a serious skin condition which after trying everything - I realised that it had to be a nervous disorder. She had to be put down. Ruffy was dumped on me as a kitten. He is spoilt and very dominant. I can't try and be a peacemaker again with warring animals and I can't manage two cats again. I've been down that path too many times.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #9 - May 29th, 2017 at 2:10pm

cods wrote on May 29th, 2017 at 7:59am:
well done mantra...my two cats are jogging along in years   one a few years older than the other...but I have made up my mind no more when its their time...I do enjoy them  and they give me a reason for being.. but the chances of me outliving another young animal is not that great   and although I dread the thought I could also end up in aged care...

I've already made up my mind Cods. I'm not taking it. My daughter has been feeding it twice a day. When she went up last night - she said there was a drunk woman there feeding it. Maybe she might want to take it. The man next door gives it a feed sometimes too. It's huge. It's either pregnant or obese. She is a very pretty cat though. Someone else will want her.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #10 - May 30th, 2017 at 5:11pm

mantra wrote on May 29th, 2017 at 2:10pm:
cods wrote on May 29th, 2017 at 7:59am:

I've already made up my mind Cods. I'm not taking it. My daughter has been feeding it twice a day. When she went up last night - she said there was a drunk woman there feeding it. Maybe she might want to take it. The man next door gives it a feed sometimes too. It's huge. It's either pregnant or obese. She is a very pretty cat though. Someone else will want her.

Well looks like one way or another the cat will be fine ~ and of course you have your fair share of animals mantra - your story about that very demanding bird you had that time- had me in stitches- is it still going lol

You need to write a book about the story of your animals - you can be very funny in print  Smiley

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #11 - Jun 1st, 2017 at 2:30pm

Agnes wrote on May 30th, 2017 at 5:11pm:
Well looks like one way or another the cat will be fine ~ and of course you have your fair share of animals mantra - your story about that very demanding bird you had that time- had me in stitches- is it still going lol

You need to write a book about the story of your animals - you can be very funny in print  Smiley

I can probably understand animal language better than human language AG plus it's easier to emphathise with a demanding or needy animal. They are more perceptive and receptive than many humans. I get enjoyment out of the native birds, but not much from cats unfortunately.

I saw the daughter of the dead man today. She was finally cleaning up the house. I told her I would keep feeding the cat (I wish I hadn't) until she decided what she was going to do with it. She's worrying about the cat now which is a good sign and it looks healthier than it did 2 weeks ago.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #12 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 10:52am

I'm still feeding the cat plus another one who apparently this man owned - according to all these neighbours who I hadn't noticed before. The other cat is a beautiful grey persian cross who someone has abandoned. It's so timid, but he/she is starting to trust me.

The daughter of the dead man is still dithering about finding homes for them - as I am also. I'm providing food and feeding these cats, while she's just saying how nice I am to be doing it. Her attitude is evasive, but she's pretending to care.

Anyway - today I've put up a notice in a nearby shop about them. Hopefully I'll get some positive feedback and someone good will come forward and take them. No cat organisation will pick them up. I'm supposed to trap them or cage them and then deliver them which emotionally I can no longer do.

I wish now I hadn't got involved. The thought of two domestic cats - alone and without any protection from the weather and predators is a worry. When I go up there - they are hiding in the bushes waiting for me to feed them and they're scared.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #13 - Jun 7th, 2017 at 11:24pm

mantra wrote on Jun 6th, 2017 at 10:52am:
I'm still feeding the cat plus another one who apparently this man owned - according to all these neighbours who I hadn't noticed before. The other cat is a beautiful grey persian cross who someone has abandoned. It's so timid, but he/she is starting to trust me.

The daughter of the dead man is still dithering about finding homes for them - as I am also. I'm providing food and feeding these cats, while she's just saying how nice I am to be doing it. Her attitude is evasive, but she's pretending to care.

Anyway - today I've put up a notice in a nearby shop about them. Hopefully I'll get some positive feedback and someone good will come forward and take them. No cat organisation will pick them up. I'm supposed to trap them or cage them and then deliver them which emotionally I can no longer do.

I wish now I hadn't got involved. The thought of two domestic cats - alone and without any protection from the weather and predators is a worry. When I go up there - they are hiding in the bushes waiting for me to feed them and they're scared.

Well you did the right thing Mantra- - I am sure they are going to be just fine. Cats are very hardy  adaptive creatures and you are doing your best ,what else can you do.?
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2017 at 12:37am by Agnes »  

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #14 - Jun 8th, 2017 at 8:13am

Thanks for the reassurance AG. There has been torrential rain here for the last 36 hours and that's a worry. I didn't want to snoop around the house, but I went around to the back of it yesterday to see if there was any shelter there and found an open garage containing a beautiful old turquoise car covered in towels. I used to see him in it years ago and wondered what happened to it. I threw some bedding from home onto the bonnet so hopefully the cats have been sheltering in there.

The daughter sent me up 8 boxes of Felix yesterday which is a help. The cats are getting attached to me which is going to make it worse when they eventually have to be dragged off the property. When I left this morning - the grey persian went outside the front yard and watched me go into my backyard. He's probably calculating where his next home is going to be.
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2017 at 8:55am by mantra »  

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #15 - Jun 8th, 2017 at 9:24pm

mantra wrote on Jun 8th, 2017 at 8:13am:
Thanks for the reassurance AG. There has been torrential rain here for the last 36 hours and that's a worry. I didn't want to snoop around the house, but I went around to the back of it yesterday to see if there was any shelter there and found an open garage containing a beautiful old turquoise car covered in towels. I used to see him in it years ago and wondered what happened to it. I threw some bedding from home onto the bonnet so hopefully the cats have been sheltering in there.

The daughter sent me up 8 boxes of Felix yesterday which is a help. The cats are getting attached to me which is going to make it worse when they eventually have to be dragged off the property. When I left this morning - the grey persian went outside the front yard and watched me go into my backyard. He's probably calculating where his next home is going to be.

If you feed them mantra then they see you as their new mother- so yes indeed that persian has already pegged out his new home- what a beautiful cat it must be- you are so soft- so loving  towards animals and you should never change- not enough of pp like you in this world-

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #16 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 11:34am

I've turned this thread into a cat diary.

Agnes wrote on Jun 8th, 2017 at 9:24pm:
If you feed them mantra then they see you as their new mother- so yes indeed that persian has already pegged out his new home- what a beautiful cat it must be- you are so soft- so loving  towards animals and you should never change- not enough of pp like you in this world-

I only love certain animals AG, but I try to treat them all equally and humanely. As beautiful as this persian is - he's gone from a timid animal who doesn't trust humans to smooching against me too much and I don't want that. I'm a bit scared of cats because they're unpredictable. I used to trust them until a couple of stray cats attacked me.

I was stuck with one savage ginger cat for 18 months. Unfortunately the RSPCA had to euthanise him. I was attached to him even though he was so vicious and it was hard getting rid of him.

Ruffy is showing serious signs of insecurity. He's no doubt smelt their scent on me. I don't want to smell of cats either. 

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #17 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 12:34pm

Sorry Mantra the writing is on the wall- you are becoming a cat lady 

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #18 - Jun 10th, 2017 at 10:57am

Haha AG. I had never planned to become a cat lady. Cat ladies have lost the plot and are eccentric and obsessed. I'll admit to having lost the plot, but nothing else. Cats take up less than an hour a day out of my time and that's the way it's going to stay.

I'm going to make a move soon to have them taken to the RSPCA.  One of the cats - I'm fairly sure - has cancer on her nose and tongue and they will probably euthanise her unless the daughter allows it to be euthanised at a local vet. It would be less stressful. This lovely cat sits on the front step all day waiting for her master to come home.

The persian though doesn't seem to have anything wrong with it. I talked to a neighbour today who said her name was Sadie. She would be snatched up by any cat lover.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #19 - Jun 12th, 2017 at 11:04am

Cancer in cats can be a difficult one- but I dont see any other option for it- the RSPCA might at least diagnose her nose skin- but it will be put down- this has such a deeply sad back story mantra- so frustrated I am not there- but still you are doing a marvellous job with these cats- the owner would be so thankful if he knew and maybe he does - who knows?

An Australia wide desexing program needs to happen too keep cats under control- the breeding rate is very rapid-and too many starving cats trying to survive out there- illness and starvation abounds-  Sad

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #20 - Jun 13th, 2017 at 10:19am

Cats are treated shockingly AG. People get them as cute little kittens - then discard them like rubbish as they mature. Desexing cats should be a free service paid for by the government. This is the only way their numbers can be diminished. The destruction they cause to our native habitat is not their fault, but the fault of irresponsible and uncaring humans.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #21 - Jun 13th, 2017 at 7:29pm

mantra wrote on Jun 13th, 2017 at 10:19am:
Cats are treated shockingly AG. People get them as cute little kittens - then discard them like rubbish as they mature. Desexing cats should be a free service paid for by the government. This is the only way their numbers can be diminished. The destruction they cause to our native habitat is not their fault, but the fault of irresponsible and uncaring humans.

Many do the same with puppies as well- but how do you make pp care ?  Steriization made compulsory for all animals- and owners ( lol)  would see a huge improvement regards all animal control problems- so many suffering animals and it is not good enough-

Enjoy the lovely cool weather we are having Mantra- too see thick fog on cold winter mornings is so beautiful to me- doesnt take much to keep me happy -

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #22 - Jun 24th, 2017 at 9:54am

This story is almost at an end. Five weeks on and the daughter hasn't even bothered to register her father's death with the Public Trustee. They told me pets are part of a person's estate. The daughter stopped communicating with me more than 2 weeks ago, so I had to contact the RSPCA and tell them the circumstances.

They said it was a cruelty case and they will go to this man's house and catch them. When - I have no idea, but I don't want to witness it because the cats run and hide from strangers. I can imagine how terrified they will be. It is a non-urgent case because I'm feeding them, so hopefully the RSPCA will get time in their busy schedule to do it soon. The longer it's left - the harder it gets.

They will be contacting the daughter and asking for an explanation.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 9:34am

mantra wrote on Jun 24th, 2017 at 9:54am:
This story is almost at an end. Five weeks on and the daughter hasn't even bothered to register her father's death with the Public Trustee. They told me pets are part of a person's estate. The daughter stopped communicating with me more than 2 weeks ago, so I had to contact the RSPCA and tell them the circumstances.

They said it was a cruelty case and they will go to this man's house and catch them. When - I have no idea, but I don't want to witness it because the cats run and hide from strangers. I can imagine how terrified they will be. It is a non-urgent case because I'm feeding them, so hopefully the RSPCA will get time in their busy schedule to do it soon. The longer it's left - the harder it gets.

They will be contacting the daughter and asking for an explanation.

I didnt know animals were part of an estate  does that mean they really should be mentioned in a persons will?.....seems odd to me...people move and leave animals to fend for themselves....if a person dies   can we seriously expect someone else to take on the upkeep of the pets..what if its a horse?...I know its not a nice thing for a daughter to do  but maybe she doesnt like animals..and thinks someone else will take care of the,...

mantra they are staying where they are because you feed them....cats are very self sufficient and will look for a new home at the drop of a hat...unlike a dog  which doesnt seem to have the ability to feed its self...

taking on pets can be very expensive   it isnt for everyone.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #24 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 12:06pm

cods wrote on Jun 26th, 2017 at 9:34am:
I didnt know animals were part of an estate  does that mean they really should be mentioned in a persons will?.....seems odd to me...people move and leave animals to fend for themselves....if a person dies   can we seriously expect someone else to take on the upkeep of the pets..what if its a horse?...I know its not a nice thing for a daughter to do  but maybe she doesnt like animals..and thinks someone else will take care of the,...

Animals don't have to be mentioned in the Will Cods. They are included as property of the deceased, although someone has to bring it to the attention of the executor or trustee so they can be rehomed or euthanised.

Quote:
mantra they are staying where they are because you feed them....cats are very self sufficient and will look for a new home at the drop of a hat...unlike a dog  which doesnt seem to have the ability to feed its self...

It is easier walking up the road to feed them than bringing them home, but they're becoming more scared now. Too many people and animals are trespassing on the property.  I rang the RSPCA again today and told them the situation was getting worse, but they couldn't tell me when they could do it. The house is being ransacked at night by a couple of feral families in the street because it's been vacant for so long.

Quote:

Yes it is expensive. I started off feeding these cats on plenty of good food thinking they weren't going to be there long and now we're into the sixth week. If I see a probate notice - I might be tempted to put in a claim.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 1:41pm

mantra wrote on Jun 26th, 2017 at 12:06pm:
cods wrote on Jun 26th, 2017 at 9:34am:

Animals don't have to be mentioned in the Will Cods. They are included as property of the deceased, although someone has to bring it to the attention of the executor or trustee so they can be rehomed or euthanised.

Quote:

It is easier walking up the road to feed them than bringing them home, but they're becoming more scared now. Too many people and animals are trespassing on the property.  I rang the RSPCA again today and told them the situation was getting worse, but they couldn't tell me when they could do it. The house is being ransacked at night by a couple of feral families in the street because it's been vacant for so long.

Quote:

Yes it is expensive. I started off feeding these cats on plenty of good food thinking they weren't going to be there long and now we're into the sixth week. If I see a probate notice - I might be tempted to put in a claim.

well give yourself a pat on the back   not everyone does that....I hope the RSPCA comes soon and then you can relax...

I hjave two cats  one is showing signs of aging...so I am thinking I will outlive her....but the other is about 5 years younger...so may need to have a word with daughter as they have two dogs...and so does my son  although he has cats as well but they have been there since birth....and no I dont think they want any more  lol...I couldnt ask anyone to put her down  I think thats a terrible thing to have to do....

my plan is no more animals after these two depart  I do love them but when its time to let go I need to be sensible.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #26 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 10:09pm

Well which ever way it went there was no happy ending for these kitties- life can be tough sometimes-and so it goes-

I dont know if I updated on my shelter cat but suffice to say she came to me with a nasty illness and I had to to send her back- I don't have a spare 2000 hanging around  and I had an arguement with the cat shelter woman who is obsessed and crazy  proving she is a crazy cat lady-when I wanted to return her- anyway found a couple of beautiful 14 week old  DSH sisters here locally and they are adorable  Kiss  -  I am sad the other one didnt work out and I dont know if the shelter woman knew before hand or not but all settled now regardless-

Cods you could become a cat carer if you dont want to get anymore pets after your two have gone- very rewarding to be involved in this work

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 11:12pm

Agnes wrote on Jun 26th, 2017 at 10:09pm:
Well which ever way it went there was no happy ending for these kitties- life can be tough sometimes-and so it goes-

I dont know if I updated on my shelter cat but suffice to say she came to me with a nasty illness and I had to to send her back- I don't have a spare 2000 hanging around  and I had an arguement with the cat shelter woman who is obsessed and crazy  proving she is a crazy cat lady-when I wanted to return her- anyway found a couple of beautiful 14 week old  DSH sisters here locally and they are adorable  Kiss  -  I am sad the other one didnt work out and I dont know if the shelter woman knew before hand or not but all settled now regardless-

Cods you could become a cat carer if you dont want to get anymore pets after your two have gone- very rewarding to be involved in this work

thanks agnes   but I might get attached  i am a sook like that...my granddaughter is a cat person and always coming home with astray cat...last one a beautiful thing gets pregnant before they could get her to the vet...she was only a kitten as well.. anyway she has 4 beautiful babies  they managed to give two away  but the other people let them down....so they ended up keeping them...as they had been together so long they could bare to separate them..they now have 5 cats and two big dogs...plus large lizard in the back yard who come in in winter in a large fish tank...... the big dog a ridgeback sleeps on the lounge every chance he gets....

and if you get him off so you can sit down   he finds a way to get between you ....its hilarious...all in a little

govy house...if they had found out a few weeks earlier they would be stuck with the kittens you can bet I would have been given one...my big ginger cat is one of theirs.....

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #28 - Jun 27th, 2017 at 10:30am

If the woman had had her wits about her she shouldn't have sold the cat. She should have been aware of how sick the cat was. That would have been a horrible experience to go through AG. When a sick or feral cat has to be put down - the only consolation though is that there are thousands more gentle and healthy animals out there looking for a good home.

So you have three cats now?

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #29 - Jun 27th, 2017 at 10:38am

cods wrote on Jun 26th, 2017 at 11:12pm:
thanks agnes   but I might get attached  i am a sook like that...my granddaughter is a cat person and always coming home with astray cat...last one a beautiful thing gets pregnant before they could get her to the vet...she was only a kitten as well.. anyway she has 4 beautiful babies  they managed to give two away  but the other people let them down....so they ended up keeping them...as they had been together so long they could bare to separate them..they now have 5 cats and two big dogs...plus large lizard in the back yard who come in in winter in a large fish tank...... the big dog a ridgeback sleeps on the lounge every chance he gets....

and if you get him off so you can sit down   he finds a way to get between you ....its hilarious...all in a little

govy house...if they had found out a few weeks earlier they would be stuck with the kittens you can bet I would have been given one...my big ginger cat is one of theirs.....

It's easy to get attached Cods. I've had to see too many unwanted or sick animals through to the end and most of the time there's not a happy ending.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #30 - Jun 27th, 2017 at 2:37pm

mantra wrote on Jun 27th, 2017 at 10:30am:

If the woman had had her wits about her she shouldn't have sold the cat. She should have been aware of how sick the cat was. That would have been a horrible experience to go through AG. When a sick or feral cat has to be put down - the only consolation though is that there are thousands more gentle and healthy animals out there looking for a good home.

I have 3 yes and maybe  another coming up - but thinking that maybe one too many-I only have the 2 sisters because the owner didnt want to separate them and they were so attached to each other but my heart gets in the way most of the time and they are so cute- I really wanted the one so I could bond with it as an only cat- but my old girl who died didnt have a companion cat and I often wondered if she was lonely for company other than me-

The shelter cat was a street cat and was born into a line of immune deprived cats- her mother would have been a stray as well- she had a problem with the pads on the bottom of her paws and I looked it up online and it was a blood disease that would have cost anything from a simple course of antibiotics ( 300 min) or a blood cancer ( a LOT of money) - she was also extremely underweight from generations of mal-nourishment- but she was a beautiful girl and if there was a way I could have kept her I would have- I was looking at a lifetime of vet visits with this girl in a place that sees a vet at best once a month- and this is an untenable situation tbh

Cods a little kitty will come your way and you will melt- once a cat lover always a cat lover and sounds like your daughter will always have animals that you can love- what about baby sitting the lizard sometimes ?

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Jun 27th, 2017 at 2:47pm

Agnes wrote on Jun 27th, 2017 at 2:37pm:
mantra wrote on Jun 27th, 2017 at 10:30am:

I have 3 yes and maybe  another coming up - but thinking that maybe one too many-I only have the 2 sisters because the owner didnt want to separate them and they were so attached to each other but my heart gets in the way most of the time and they are so cute- I really wanted the one so I could bond with it as an only cat- but my old girl who died didnt have a companion cat and I often wondered if she was lonely for company other than me-

The shelter cat was a street cat and was born into a line of immune deprived cats- her mother would have been a stray as well- she had a problem with the pads on the bottom of her paws and I looked it up online and it was a blood disease that would have cost anything from a simple course of antibiotics ( 300 min) or a blood cancer ( a LOT of money) - she was also extremely underweight from generations of mal-nourishment- but she was a beautiful girl and if there was a way I could have kept her I would have- I was looking at a lifetime of vet visits with this girl in a place that sees a vet at best once a month- and this is an untenable situation tbh

Cods a little kitty will come your way and you will melt- once a cat lover always a cat lover and sounds like your daughter will always have animals that you can love- what about baby sitting the lizard sometimes ?

it weird where I live we dont see stray animals...dogs always on leads.... no it doesnt mean everything gets picked up  but mostly...and I have lived here about 5 years now and never seen strays....I have in fact only seen one other cat which was a tom  but not for a fair while now....we already have a suburb  not near me.. a new one that is pet free......ye gods what next   red front door free I am sure..

for all those people who abandon pets   there are many more who dont.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #32 - Jul 3rd, 2017 at 12:35pm

I haven't seen any stray dogs for years thankfully.

It has been 11 days since I reported these abandoned cats to the RSPCA and finally an inspector came out today. I had the cats ready to go, but he was more scared of picking them up than I was, so of course they escaped into their little hidey holes and he gave up and left me a trap to catch them. I can't do that. It has become so stressful that I'm giving up. I'm going to put a big sign in front of the house asking for cat food donations for these abandoned cats and I'll keep feeding them for the time being because that's easier than trying to get rid of them.

By the time the slack daughter of the deceased man gets around to doing something about the house - with a bit of luck it will be over-run with well fed cats. She can clean up the mess.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Jul 3rd, 2017 at 2:12pm

maybe you should report it to the local council mantra...is there a chance of these cats breeding??>..doesnt seem the right attitude for an RSPCA person.. it is their job to catch wandering animals..

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #34 - Jul 4th, 2017 at 11:19am

cods wrote on Jul 3rd, 2017 at 2:12pm:
maybe you should report it to the local council mantra...is there a chance of these cats breeding??>..doesnt seem the right attitude for an RSPCA person.. it is their job to catch wandering animals..

That's a very good idea Cods. Unfortunately the Council has privatised the pound and it only takes dogs now.

Years ago I would have handled this situation quickly and efficiently, but I just can't do it anymore. I also can't leave these animals to starve.

I knew I would have problems with the RSPCA that's why I left contacting them until last. All animal shelters can only handle animals being delivered to them and to do that you have to pick them up and shove them in a cage. People just don't want to pick up cats that they don't know.

This is causing a lot of stress as well as being very expensive and time consuming.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #35 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 3:43am

mantra wrote on Jul 4th, 2017 at 11:19am:
cods wrote on Jul 3rd, 2017 at 2:12pm:

That's a very good idea Cods. Unfortunately the Council has privatised the pound and it only takes dogs now.

Years ago I would have handled this situation quickly and efficiently, but I just can't do it anymore. I also can't leave these animals to starve.

I knew I would have problems with the RSPCA that's why I left contacting them until last. All animal shelters can only handle animals being delivered to them and to do that you have to pick them up and shove them in a cage. People just don't want to pick up cats that they don't know.

This is causing a lot of stress as well as being very expensive and time consuming.

That is a bad attitude by the rspca- it is their job to come get the cats- dont understand it at all - good luck
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2017 at 3:56am by Agnes »  

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #36 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 7:30am

It was about 15 years ago that someone working at the Animal Welfare League told me that the RSPCA had become only a shadow of its former self.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #37 - Jul 6th, 2017 at 12:35am

Lord Herbert wrote on Jul 5th, 2017 at 7:30am:
It was about 15 years ago that someone working at the Animal Welfare League told me that the RSPCA had become only a shadow of its former self.

There are so few organisations that work for animal welfare/rights and that is very sad thing to read- animals rights concerns are almost non existent and I would be very happy for someone to prove me wrong

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #38 - Jul 7th, 2017 at 8:36am

Agnes wrote on Jul 6th, 2017 at 12:35am:
There are so few organisations that work for animal welfare/rights and that is very sad thing to read- animals rights concerns are almost non existent and I would be very happy for someone to prove me wrong

I suspected that years ago, but it's true. There are so few volunteers around and it's probably because it's too expensive for most people to get involved.

If our society doesn't give a stuff about neglected and abused kids - why would they give a damn about animals? It is all a pretense that people care.

Since I've been feeding these cats a group of children across the road have come to my attention. There are 7 of them - aged between 1 and 15. The mother left after the baby was born and there is a doped up father looking after all these desperate children. They are out on the street in this freezing weather at 7 am (when I feed the cats) in shorts, T-shirts and bare feet. They are always hungry and begging for attention.

Every time they see me or my daughter - 5 of the youngest - aged 4 to 13, come running up and surround us. They just want to be cuddled and talked to. They are small, thin and neglected, but basically sweet souls. How long will they stay that way? Their mother - a junkie - rarely visits them.

Aside from a kind Christian neighbour living nearby who buys them clothes nobody else cares. They are considered feral and the sad thing is these children know it.

Here I am whinging about abandoned animals when in this prosperous country - abandoned children are also ignored.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Jul 7th, 2017 at 4:27pm

mantra wrote on Jul 7th, 2017 at 8:36am:

I suspected that years ago, but it's true. There are so few volunteers around and it's probably because it's too expensive for most people to get involved.

If our society doesn't give a stuff about neglected and abused kids - why would they give a damn about animals? It is all a pretense that people care.

Since I've been feeding these cats a group of children across the road have come to my attention. There are 7 of them - aged between 1 and 15. The mother left after the baby was born and there is a doped up father looking after all these desperate children. They are out on the street in this freezing weather at 7 am (when I feed the cats) in shorts, T-shirts and bare feet. They are always hungry and begging for attention.

Every time they see me or my daughter - 5 of the youngest - aged 4 to 13, come running up and surround us. They just want to be cuddled and talked to. They are small, thin and neglected, but basically sweet souls. How long will they stay that way? Their mother - a junkie - rarely visits them.

Aside from a kind Christian neighbour living nearby who buys them clothes nobody else cares. They are considered feral and the sad thing is these children know it.

Here I am whinging about abandoned animals when in this prosperous country - abandoned children are also ignored.

mantra you must ring the local authorities   I will be honest with you I have never lived in a neighbourhood that has had neglected children.. sorry if that sound snobbish...not meant to be  just worked out that way.. I couldnt bare to see children freezing to death and hungry I couldnt stand it.. please ring someone there would be a number in the phone book...a baby for gods sakes..

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #40 - Jul 7th, 2017 at 6:41pm

I wish we could gradually get rid of all cats in Australia. Too many stray, go feral or semi feral, bogans don’t take the time and money to have their cats neutered etc.

Dogs may stray etc but not like cats.

It may also be better to just painlessly euthanise a lot of the stray cats, can’t save them all.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #41 - Jul 7th, 2017 at 7:08pm

mantra wrote on Jul 7th, 2017 at 8:36am:

And how- now this is place where there very neglected kids and they pick up and adopt stray and starving cats and dogs- I think they know how they feel to be neglected and unloved most of the time- kind of how pp become when they come from nothing they give everything away- I see them and hear them into the wee hours out there- in the cold or the heat- how do you do anything about it though- I have called the police sometimes I have become so worried- but the cycle never ends- how do you make pp care- ? I dont thing you can sadly-
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2017 at 7:14pm by Agnes »  

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #42 - Jul 9th, 2017 at 10:02am

cods wrote on Jul 7th, 2017 at 4:27pm:
mantra you must ring the local authorities   I will be honest with you I have never lived in a neighbourhood that has had neglected children.. sorry if that sound snobbish...not meant to be  just worked out that way.. I couldnt bare to see children freezing to death and hungry I couldnt stand it.. please ring someone there would be a number in the phone book...a baby for gods sakes..

Cods - these children are neglected in many ways, but they don't fall into the category of abused or starving children even though they are always hungry. They go to school and they are fairly bright. You can't call the authorities because they are emotionally needy, thin and aren't dressed in warm clothes. They don't have a mother to care for them - only a depressed father who can barely cope. How many single parents could cope well with 7 young children?

To anyone living in comfort it is a horrible sight, but the children are very close and protective of each other. Calling the authorities would only ensure that the family was split up.

There would be thousands of Australian families living in these sort of circumstances.  I can recall my own childhood when kids like this were so commonplace that no-one thought twice about it.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #43 - Jul 12th, 2017 at 9:55am

I'm still feeding these abandoned cats in addition to buying extra fruit to give to these neglected children who I think must be spying on me.  As soon as I walk out of my back gate I'm surrounded by them.

When I walked up to feed the cats yesterday - I noticed a third cat sitting on the bench on the front verandah. It ran when it saw me. It looked very thin.

If this problem ever gets solved - there will probably be a dozen cats claiming this abandoned house as their own.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #44 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 2:49pm

mantra wrote on Jul 12th, 2017 at 9:55am:
I'm still feeding these abandoned cats in addition to buying extra fruit to give to these neglected children who I think must be spying on me.  As soon as I walk out of my back gate I'm surrounded by them.

When I walked up to feed the cats yesterday - I noticed a third cat sitting on the bench on the front verandah. It ran when it saw me. It looked very thin.

If this problem ever gets solved - there will probably be a dozen cats claiming this abandoned house as their own.

You will have friends for life Mantra and that isnt a bad thing- I have 2 teenage kittens (15 weeks) and they are a handful I can tell you- but very very cute-

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #45 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:10am

Kittens are cute AG, but to many people, not so much when they get older. I know that you would keep them for life though and not abandon them. They are lucky.

Both cats have finally been picked up by the RSPCA - thank God. It's been an 8 week nightmare. I got attached to them and vice versa and I felt as though I had betrayed them.

I just pray that they find good homes, which is highly unlikely as approx. 200,000 cats plus are euthanised each year in Australia.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 2:54pm

mantra wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:10am:
Kittens are cute AG, but to many people, not so much when they get older. I know that you would keep them for life though and not abandon them. They are lucky.

Both cats have finally been picked up by the RSPCA - thank God. It's been an 8 week nightmare. I got attached to them and vice versa and I felt as though I had betrayed them.

I just pray that they find good homes, which is highly unlikely as approx. 200,000 cats plus are euthanised each year in Australia.

be positive mantra.. you did your best when no one else lifted a finger....have good thoughts they find perfect homes...

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #47 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 12:20pm

Yes - I did my best Cods, which unfortunately wasn't as good as it used to be.

I heard Jane Goodall say recently that if everyone did just a little bit extra in their own little area - the world would be a much better place.

It's too easy to walk past an unpleasant situation and pretend we didn't notice it.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 1:06pm

mantra wrote on Jul 23rd, 2017 at 12:20pm:

I heard Jane Goodall say recently that if everyone did just a little bit extra in their own little area - the world would be a much better place.

It's too easy to walk past an unpleasant situation and pretend we didn't notice it.

I know think of that elderly couple who were not found until 3 weeks after they died...well she died   what a sad case.....they were only found then because a neighbour noticed they hadnt seen them in a while....

its the times we live in mantra....sadly a lot of thing that we once took for granted have now disappeared...we now have new suburbs in ACT that are animal free,,,, no pets allowed....

not sure if that a natural way for us to be heading or not....we seem to be getting more and more self centred   personally I wouldnt live in a burb with those rules....but its a small sign of whats ahead.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #49 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 9:31pm

mantra wrote on Jul 21st, 2017 at 10:10am:

Yes mantra- they are very cute and I make sure I get the animal that is right for me- if they are going to be for life- essential- dont feel guilty or bad- you did what you thought you had to - hopefully they will be lucky enough to find a good home-

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #50 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 9:35pm

cods wrote on Jul 23rd, 2017 at 1:06pm:
mantra wrote on Jul 23rd, 2017 at 12:20pm:

I know think of that elderly couple who were not found until 3 weeks after they died...well she died   what a sad case.....they were only found then because a neighbour noticed they hadnt seen them in a while....

its the times we live in mantra....sadly a lot of thing that we once took for granted have now disappeared...we now have new suburbs in ACT that are animal free,,,, no pets allowed....

not sure if that a natural way for us to be heading or not....we seem to be getting more and more self centred   personally I wouldnt live in a burb with those rules....but its a small sign of whats ahead.

The time we live in right now is not a very good direction for mankind when it comes to pp and caring about each other- so many lonely isolated pp the world over- in every country- the internet have put us in touch with so many from so far away- but isolated us from each other right in our own neighbor hood- this to me is the saddest thing of all
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2017 at 10:35pm by Agnes »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print