Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Sad (Read 10949 times)
mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Sad
May 26th, 2017 at 7:18pm

An older man who lived a few houses up from me died last Saturday. He was an alcoholic and alone, but he owned a cat which he loved dearly. I should have gone up there earlier to check on the cat, but I assumed his relatives would be looking after his affairs.

When I drove past the house today  - the dead man's daughter was in the front yard talking to her boyfriend. I asked her about the cat and told her that her father had needed help in his last months.  She admitted she hadn't seen her father for 20 years and had no concern for his cat, but would dispose of it next week if she had some spare time.

I went up later with a bag of food. The cat was hiding under a pile of rubbish on the front veranda in an unfenced yard. Fortunately the neighbour next door has been haphazardly feeding it. I found an open tin of food - full of maggots competing with the ants.

The cat was terrified, desperate for human company and obviously hungry. I fed it until it was full and put a blanket under an old chair so it could at least keep warm tonight.

You would think that someone who had just inherited a house would have at least cleaned up the front yard, taken away the rubbish and fed her benefactor's cat and made it comfortable - but no. The cat meant as much to her as her father did. He was a sweet man to the neighbours, but maybe not so good to his only child if she cared so little about his life.

My daughter will take it up to the RSPCA tomorrow. Not a good fate for the poor cat, but it will be given a little shelter and attention before it's euthanised.
« Last Edit: May 26th, 2017 at 8:55pm by mantra »  

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Re: Sad
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2017 at 8:50pm

It's people like you who restore my faith in the human race, Mantra. That's a sad little vignette of suburban life, and probably one that's all too familiar.

Just within a minute's walk from my place in either direction there's been 8 of us who live alone with a pet. We lazy ones keep cats because we don't have to walk them, and of the dog-owners only one was ever walked.

I've just spent my usual daily dose of 90 minutes of TV with a large male black tom sprawled over my chest with one sharply clawed paw digging into my shoulder to prevent 'slippage' that would collapse him down into my lap.

It's a constant worry with elderly people as to what will happen to their beloved pet/s after they've gone, with part of this worry being that the cat or dog will be transferred to a much less pleasant and loving circumstance.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #2 - May 26th, 2017 at 9:29pm

mantra wrote on May 26th, 2017 at 7:18pm:
An older man who lived a few houses up from me died last Saturday. He was an alcoholic and alone, but he owned a cat which he loved dearly. I should have gone up there earlier to check on the cat, but I assumed his relatives would be looking after his affairs.

When I drove past the house today  - the dead man's daughter was in the front yard talking to her boyfriend. I asked her about the cat and told her that her father had needed help in his last months.  She admitted she hadn't seen her father for 20 years and had no concern for his cat, but would dispose of it next week if she had some spare time.

I went up later with a bag of food. The cat was hiding under a pile of rubbish on the front veranda in an unfenced yard. Fortunately the neighbour next door has been haphazardly feeding it. I found an open tin of food - full of maggots competing with the ants.

The cat was terrified, desperate for human company and obviously hungry. I fed it until it was full and put a blanket under an old chair so it could at least keep warm tonight.

You would think that someone who had just inherited a house would have at least cleaned up the front yard, taken away the rubbish and fed her benefactor's cat and made it comfortable - but no. The cat meant as much to her as her father did. He was a sweet man to the neighbours, but maybe not so good to his only child if she cared so little about his life.

My daughter will take it up to the RSPCA tomorrow. Not a good fate for the poor cat, but it will be given a little shelter and attention before it's euthanised.

Mantra there would be adoption no kill shelters in your area- I am getting my girl from one of these shelters The RSPCA may just put it down- a no kill shelter will take care of it until they can adopt it too someone if not they keep it until-  please try for an adoption shelter in your area  the cat will be loved and taken care of until he/she can find a new home - a shame about the daughter-

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #3 - May 26th, 2017 at 9:32pm

The Animal Welfare League never euthanase the pets handed into them.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #4 - May 28th, 2017 at 10:58am

Agnes wrote on May 26th, 2017 at 9:29pm:
Mantra there would be adoption no kill shelters in your area- I am getting my girl from one of these shelters The RSPCA may just put it down- a no kill shelter will take care of it until they can adopt it too someone if not they keep it until-  please try for an adoption shelter in your area  the cat will be loved and taken care of until he/she can find a new home - a shame about the daughter-

Good idea AG. RSPCA animals only have a 50% chance of survival. I've found a no kill shelter in the area, but I haven't taken her there yet. I've made her comfortable with a pile of old jumpers in a cosy enclosed corner and my daughter goes up there twice a day to feed it and give it some affection. This cat just sits there all day and waits for food and a cuddle. She would make someone a lovely pet. I might have taken her in if Ruffy the housecat wasn't so aggressive and territorial towards other animals. He would hurt her.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #5 - May 28th, 2017 at 11:14am

Lord Herbert wrote on May 26th, 2017 at 8:50pm:
It's people like you who restore my faith in the human race, Mantra. That's a sad little vignette of suburban life, and probably one that's all too familiar.

Yes I've seen it all before Herbert. It would have been easier not to get involved, but when it's almost on my doorstep - it's hard not to.

Quote:
Just within a minute's walk from my place in either direction there's been 8 of us who live alone with a pet. We lazy ones keep cats because we don't have to walk them, and of the dog-owners only one was ever walked.

Herbert the only advice I can give to anyone no matter how young or old - if you love your pets make an emergency provision for them with someone - anyone. I saw the cat owner the day before he died walking to the shops. He looked like death. I was driving - I should have offered him some help because my first thought was what's going to happen to his cat when he dies. 

Quote:
I've just spent my usual daily dose of 90 minutes of TV with a large male black tom sprawled over my chest with one sharply clawed paw digging into my shoulder to prevent 'slippage' that would collapse him down into my lap.

Ruffy tries that on me. The moment I sit down - he's slyly climbing onto my body. He gets into trouble if he uses that middle claw for grip. If he gets comfortable and I want to get up - he digs it in when I drag him off me.

Quote:
It's a constant worry with elderly people as to what will happen to their beloved pet/s after they've gone, with part of this worry being that the cat or dog will be transferred to a much less pleasant and loving circumstance.

Herbert - type up an addendum to your will. You can sign it and don't need a witness. Leave Animal Welfare a few dollars if they come and pick your cats up. Don't leave them to fate.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #6 - May 28th, 2017 at 8:11pm

mantra wrote on May 28th, 2017 at 10:58am:
Agnes wrote on May 26th, 2017 at 9:29pm:

Good idea AG. RSPCA animals only have a 50% chance of survival. I've found a no kill shelter in the area, but I haven't taken her there yet. I've made her comfortable with a pile of old jumpers in a cosy enclosed corner and my daughter goes up there twice a day to feed it and give it some affection. This cat just sits there all day and waits for food and a cuddle. She would make someone a lovely pet. I might have taken her in if Ruffy the housecat wasn't so aggressive and territorial towards other animals. He would hurt her.

mantra male and female cats get along fine- its female to female where you will have a problem- ruffy would love this new girl- they both need company by the sounds of it- she is lonely~ ruffy would not be so needy with you all the time either~ I think it will work tbh - my girl is here tomorrow and I already have black male~ they will be ok together I am sure- My girl will go back to the shelter if I am hit by a bus - that is the beauty of these shelters- they always take back their rescues if they find themselves homelesss again and they take any cat that you cannot keep anymore they dont want to see them homeless~ they are run by pp who really love cats- I am going to donate to  my kittys shelter- they do amazing work and they really care

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - May 29th, 2017 at 7:59am

well done mantra...my two cats are jogging along in years   one a few years older than the other...but I have made up my mind no more when its their time...I do enjoy them  and they give me a reason for being.. but the chances of me outliving another young animal is not that great   and although I dread the thought I could also end up in aged care...

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #8 - May 29th, 2017 at 2:02pm

Agnes wrote on May 28th, 2017 at 8:11pm:
mantra male and female cats get along fine- its female to female where you will have a problem- ruffy would love this new girl- they both need company by the sounds of it- she is lonely~ ruffy would not be so needy with you all the time either~ I think it will work tbh - my girl is here tomorrow and I already have black male~ they will be ok together I am sure- My girl will go back to the shelter if I am hit by a bus - that is the beauty of these shelters- they always take back their rescues if they find themselves homelesss again and they take any cat that you cannot keep anymore they dont want to see them homeless~ they are run by pp who really love cats- I am going to donate to  my kittys shelter- they do amazing work and they really care

Male and female cats don't always get on AG. Ruffy drove a female cat who was here before him away from the house. She would be gone for days hiding out in all sorts of weather. It was a nightmare. This gentle little cat ended up with a serious skin condition which after trying everything - I realised that it had to be a nervous disorder. She had to be put down. Ruffy was dumped on me as a kitten. He is spoilt and very dominant. I can't try and be a peacemaker again with warring animals and I can't manage two cats again. I've been down that path too many times.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #9 - May 29th, 2017 at 2:10pm

cods wrote on May 29th, 2017 at 7:59am:
well done mantra...my two cats are jogging along in years   one a few years older than the other...but I have made up my mind no more when its their time...I do enjoy them  and they give me a reason for being.. but the chances of me outliving another young animal is not that great   and although I dread the thought I could also end up in aged care...

I've already made up my mind Cods. I'm not taking it. My daughter has been feeding it twice a day. When she went up last night - she said there was a drunk woman there feeding it. Maybe she might want to take it. The man next door gives it a feed sometimes too. It's huge. It's either pregnant or obese. She is a very pretty cat though. Someone else will want her.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #10 - May 30th, 2017 at 5:11pm

mantra wrote on May 29th, 2017 at 2:10pm:
cods wrote on May 29th, 2017 at 7:59am:

I've already made up my mind Cods. I'm not taking it. My daughter has been feeding it twice a day. When she went up last night - she said there was a drunk woman there feeding it. Maybe she might want to take it. The man next door gives it a feed sometimes too. It's huge. It's either pregnant or obese. She is a very pretty cat though. Someone else will want her.

Well looks like one way or another the cat will be fine ~ and of course you have your fair share of animals mantra - your story about that very demanding bird you had that time- had me in stitches- is it still going lol

You need to write a book about the story of your animals - you can be very funny in print  Smiley

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #11 - Jun 1st, 2017 at 2:30pm

Agnes wrote on May 30th, 2017 at 5:11pm:
Well looks like one way or another the cat will be fine ~ and of course you have your fair share of animals mantra - your story about that very demanding bird you had that time- had me in stitches- is it still going lol

You need to write a book about the story of your animals - you can be very funny in print  Smiley

I can probably understand animal language better than human language AG plus it's easier to emphathise with a demanding or needy animal. They are more perceptive and receptive than many humans. I get enjoyment out of the native birds, but not much from cats unfortunately.

I saw the daughter of the dead man today. She was finally cleaning up the house. I told her I would keep feeding the cat (I wish I hadn't) until she decided what she was going to do with it. She's worrying about the cat now which is a good sign and it looks healthier than it did 2 weeks ago.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #12 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 10:52am

I'm still feeding the cat plus another one who apparently this man owned - according to all these neighbours who I hadn't noticed before. The other cat is a beautiful grey persian cross who someone has abandoned. It's so timid, but he/she is starting to trust me.

The daughter of the dead man is still dithering about finding homes for them - as I am also. I'm providing food and feeding these cats, while she's just saying how nice I am to be doing it. Her attitude is evasive, but she's pretending to care.

Anyway - today I've put up a notice in a nearby shop about them. Hopefully I'll get some positive feedback and someone good will come forward and take them. No cat organisation will pick them up. I'm supposed to trap them or cage them and then deliver them which emotionally I can no longer do.

I wish now I hadn't got involved. The thought of two domestic cats - alone and without any protection from the weather and predators is a worry. When I go up there - they are hiding in the bushes waiting for me to feed them and they're scared.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #13 - Jun 7th, 2017 at 11:24pm

mantra wrote on Jun 6th, 2017 at 10:52am:
I'm still feeding the cat plus another one who apparently this man owned - according to all these neighbours who I hadn't noticed before. The other cat is a beautiful grey persian cross who someone has abandoned. It's so timid, but he/she is starting to trust me.

The daughter of the dead man is still dithering about finding homes for them - as I am also. I'm providing food and feeding these cats, while she's just saying how nice I am to be doing it. Her attitude is evasive, but she's pretending to care.

Anyway - today I've put up a notice in a nearby shop about them. Hopefully I'll get some positive feedback and someone good will come forward and take them. No cat organisation will pick them up. I'm supposed to trap them or cage them and then deliver them which emotionally I can no longer do.

I wish now I hadn't got involved. The thought of two domestic cats - alone and without any protection from the weather and predators is a worry. When I go up there - they are hiding in the bushes waiting for me to feed them and they're scared.

Well you did the right thing Mantra- - I am sure they are going to be just fine. Cats are very hardy  adaptive creatures and you are doing your best ,what else can you do.?
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2017 at 12:37am by Agnes »  

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #14 - Jun 8th, 2017 at 8:13am

Thanks for the reassurance AG. There has been torrential rain here for the last 36 hours and that's a worry. I didn't want to snoop around the house, but I went around to the back of it yesterday to see if there was any shelter there and found an open garage containing a beautiful old turquoise car covered in towels. I used to see him in it years ago and wondered what happened to it. I threw some bedding from home onto the bonnet so hopefully the cats have been sheltering in there.

The daughter sent me up 8 boxes of Felix yesterday which is a help. The cats are getting attached to me which is going to make it worse when they eventually have to be dragged off the property. When I left this morning - the grey persian went outside the front yard and watched me go into my backyard. He's probably calculating where his next home is going to be.
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2017 at 8:55am by mantra »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print