Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 15
Send Topic Print
Constitutional Convention on OzPolitic (Read 13057 times)
Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Constitutional Convention on OzPolitic
Reply #15 - May 28th, 2017 at 6:24pm

Auggie wrote on May 28th, 2017 at 6:16pm:
Quote:
You equate Government with social services?

Absolutely: you can't have social services system like we have in Australia without Government. The provision of adequate social services (to the extend we have them in Australia and many countries) requires coercive institutions; i.e. government.

No.  In your thought bubble World....we could have a system without government......and yet still deliver social services.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #16 - May 28th, 2017 at 6:34pm

Quote:
No.  In your thought bubble World....we could have a system without government......and yet still deliver social services.

I'm sorry if I ever presented my beliefs in that way. I'm a Libertarian, not an Anarchist. I believe government is necessary to a certain point.

I think what you're referring to is my previous posts about having private entities provide social services to people. Allow me to elaborate here, if you will.

Some libertarians argue that all public social services should be abolished in favour of charities. For e.g. if a person is poor then they can go to Salvation Army or their local church and seek help. I don't necessarily support this manner of providing social services.

Second, the point I made specifically about my proposal was that private entities would provide social services on behalf of the Government and in compliance with the Government. I made this proposal because I was attempting to transplant a Swiss-style healthcare system to social services, which I conceded (later) probably wouldn't work for Social Services.

Basically, the Swiss healthcare system works by forcing people to buy insurance from private insurers, but those insurers must offer a specific package known as a 'universal healthcare package' at a fixed rate that offers government-defined benefits. All insurers have to offer this package and cannot discriminate against people. People could then purchase additional 'units' of healthcare according to their needs.

I was attempting to transplant this kind of system to a social services system whereby private entities such as Salvation Army, or Anglicare would offer unemployment insurance (or other type of insurances); but would need to offer a standard 'universal' package in which an adult would pay a monthly insurance rate. If the person lost his job, then he could apply for the benefit under the universal package - again, the rules for application would be the same. No private provider would be able to discriminate against a person for the 'universal' package, and everyone would have to charge the same. The consumer could purchase additional units of insurance to receive a bigger benefit, etc.

The reason why I would advocate this kind of private provision is because it would be more efficient. Companies would have room to compete with other companies, without at the same time being able to deny any person the right to receive a benefit. It would also save the government money, because people are personally responsible for their own insurance.

I hope this makes sense.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #17 - May 28th, 2017 at 6:44pm

Auggie wrote on May 28th, 2017 at 6:34pm:
Quote:

I'm sorry if I ever presented my beliefs in that way. I'm a Libertarian, not an Anarchist. I believe government is necessary to a certain point.

I think what you're referring to is my previous posts about having private entities provide social services to people. Allow me to elaborate here, if you will.

Some libertarians argue that all public social services should be abolished in favour of charities. For e.g. if a person is poor then they can go to Salvation Army or their local church and seek help. I don't necessarily support this manner of providing social services.

Second, the point I made specifically about my proposal was that private entities would provide social services on behalf of the Government and in compliance with the Government. I made this proposal because I was attempting to transplant a Swiss-style healthcare system to social services, which I conceded (later) probably wouldn't work for Social Services.

Basically, the Swiss healthcare system works by forcing people to buy insurance from private insurers, but those insurers must offer a specific package known as a 'universal healthcare package' at a fixed rate that offers government-defined benefits. All insurers have to offer this package and cannot discriminate against people. People could then purchase additional 'units' of healthcare according to their needs.

I was attempting to transplant this kind of system to a social services system whereby private entities such as Salvation Army, or Anglicare would offer unemployment insurance (or other type of insurances); but would need to offer a standard 'universal' package in which an adult would pay a monthly insurance rate. If the person lost his job, then he could apply for the benefit under the universal package - again, the rules for application would be the same. No private provider would be able to discriminate against a person for the 'universal' package, and everyone would have to charge the same. The consumer could purchase additional units of insurance to receive a bigger benefit, etc.

The reason why I would advocate this kind of private provision is because it would be more efficient. Companies would have room to compete with other companies, without at the same time being able to deny any person the right to receive a benefit. It would also save the government money, because people are personally responsible for their own insurance.

I hope this makes sense.

Of course it makes sense, as opposed to your prior simplistic position that without 'government' social service delivery is impossible.

And.....you need to acknowledge (I've never seen you deny it) that a Libertarian wants a system where there is less "Government" and more free for all = "anarchy."

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #18 - May 28th, 2017 at 6:48pm

Aussie wrote on May 28th, 2017 at 6:44pm:
prior simplistic position that without 'government' social service delivery is impossible.

I said that a social services system like the one we have in Australia is impossible without government. I never that a social services couldn't exist without government.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #19 - May 28th, 2017 at 6:50pm

Auggie wrote on May 28th, 2017 at 6:48pm:
[quote author=Aussie link=1495774426/17#17 date=1495961088] prior simplistic position that without 'government' social service delivery is impossible.

I said that a social services system like the one we have in Australia is impossible without government. I never that a social services couldn't exist without government.

Aussie wrote on May 28th, 2017 at 6:44pm:
And.....you need to acknowledge (I've never seen you deny it) that a Libertarian wants a system where there is less "Government" and more free for all = "anarchy."

You are correct in that we want smaller government (or in my case at least smaller centralized government), but for simplicity sake let's just say smaller government in general.

The notion of 'free for all': what do you mean by this? Can you give an example? I cannot acknowledge nor deny something that I do not understand.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #20 - May 28th, 2017 at 6:51pm

There is no need for me to labour the point.....you did take the position that government = social services.

That's it from me.

(For the moment.)

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #21 - May 28th, 2017 at 6:54pm

Aussie wrote on May 28th, 2017 at 6:51pm:
There is no need for me to labour the point.....you did take the position that government = social services.

That's it from me.

(For the moment.)

No, I didn't, Aussie. Read post 15#. I said 'a social system like the one we have in Australia...' i.e. a public entitlement system 'requires Government'.

Correction: post #14

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #22 - May 28th, 2017 at 6:56pm

Quote:

Absolutely: you can't have social services system like we have in Australia without Government. The provision of adequate social services (to the extend we have them in Australia and many countries) requires coercive institutions; i.e. government.

That's where.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #23 - May 28th, 2017 at 6:57pm

Aussie wrote on May 28th, 2017 at 6:56pm:
Quote:

That's where.

Then, read the following line.... The colon indicates that the following sentence is related to the word prior to the colon.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #24 - May 28th, 2017 at 7:00pm

Auggie wrote on May 28th, 2017 at 6:57pm:
Quote:

That's where.

Then, read the following line.... The colon indicates that the following sentence is related to the word prior to the colon.

So, you do equate Government with social services.  Isn't that where we began?

No need to answer that.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #25 - May 28th, 2017 at 7:02pm

Aussie wrote on May 28th, 2017 at 7:00pm:
Auggie wrote on May 28th, 2017 at 6:57pm:
Quote:

That's where.

So, you do equate Government with social services.  Isn't that where we began?

No need to answer that.

I never said that Government doesn't equate to social services. It can. It's also true that Government doesn't equate with social services.

I don't understand why both things can't be true at the same time?

What's going on with you? All this semantic word-playing is 'below the belt' even for you. I think my position is clear.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #26 - May 28th, 2017 at 7:07pm

Okay.  Semantics play no part in drafting Constitutions.

Got it.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #27 - May 28th, 2017 at 7:10pm

Aussie wrote on May 28th, 2017 at 7:07pm:
Okay.  Semantics play no part in drafting Constitutions.

Got it.

The issue was not related to the Constitution. It was related to the role of government in society. To that end, this was a sub-thread in this topic. I didn't make any proposal to enshrine this into Constitution.

I think that was clear....

Just admit that there's been a misunderstanding on your end, and move on. You don't have to acknowledge publicly on this forum.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #28 - May 28th, 2017 at 7:20pm

Not a snowflakes chance in Hell.  You need to be pedantic/semantic on issues like this....lest you have the High Court imposing and filling in gaps and that is another of your pet concerns.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #29 - May 28th, 2017 at 7:37pm

Aussie wrote on May 28th, 2017 at 7:20pm:
Not a snowflakes chance in Hell.  You need to be pedantic/semantic on issues like this....lest you have the High Court imposing and filling in gaps and that is another of your pet concerns.

That particular issue of social services had nothing to do with the constitution. It was a sub thread.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 15
Send Topic Print