Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Teaching critical thinking to combat fake news ... (Read 1232 times)
mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Teaching critical thinking to combat fake news ...
May 25th, 2017 at 12:15pm

Teaching critical thinking to combat fake news and bullshit: You have to start young

As much as I like to deconstruct pseudoscientific claims, particularly about health, medicine, and health care, Sometimes it gets a bit draining. There’s just so much pseudoscience, so much credulity, so much sheer idiocy out there that trying to refute them and encourage a more skeptical mindset often feels like pissing into the ocean, for all the effect it has. In the age of fake news and Donald Trump, it even feels as though we’re going backward—and not slowly, either. That’s why I felt it was time for a bit of a break, a bit more optimism than I’ve been able to muster before. So it was a good thing that I happened across an article by Julia Belluz and Alvin Chang entitled This researcher may have discovered the antidote to health bullshit.

I’ve always suspected that the key to combatting bullshit of all stripes, be it related to health (one of the more dangerous forms), conspiracy theories, or one of the many other varieties of nonsense, pseudoscience, conspiracy theories, and quackery, will be starting young. Let’s face it. By the time we’re adults, changing the way we think is very difficult. That’s not to say that it can’t be done, but in general you have to want to change. Again, let’s face it. Most people don’t want to change. They resist it. That’s part of the reason why adults are so good at motivated reasoning, in which they become very good at finding observations and evidence that support their preexisting point of view while downplaying or discounting evidence that does not. In essence, they develop only part of the skills needed to be a skeptic in that they are very good at deconstructing ideas they disagree with but remain not so good at critically examining ideas that they do agree with that might lack good evidence to support them.

Yes, as Andy Oxman shows, you have to get ’em young. He relates a story about his visit to his then 10 year old son’s class in 2000.that shows how children actually have a proclivity for becoming skeptical:

“I told them that some teenagers had discovered that red M&Ms gave them a good feeling in their body and helped them write and draw more quickly,” Oxman said. “But there also were some bad effects: a little pain in their stomach, and they got dizzy if they stood up quickly.”

He challenged the kids to try to find out if the teens were right. He split the class into small groups and gave each group a bag of M&Ms.

The children quickly figured out they had to try eating M&Ms of different colors to find out what happens, but that it wouldn’t be a fair test if they could see the color of the M&Ms. In other words, they intuitively understood the concept of “blinding” in a clinical trial. (This is when researchers prevent study participants and doctors from knowing who got what treatment so they’re less likely to be biased about the outcome.)

In a short time, they were running their own blinded, randomized trials — the gold standard for testing medical claims — in the classroom. By the end of their experiment, Oxman said, “They figured out that there was little if any difference in the effects of the different colors and they asked me if the teenagers who made the claim really believed that.”

As a result of this experience, Oxman began working with other academics to develop curricula designed to teach critical thinking skills in children. The idea is to arm them with the skills needed to spot “alternative facts” more readily and, as importantly, how to keep fake news from spreading in the first place. He’s not the only one who asked this question. So did Imogen Evans, Hazel Thornton, Iain Chalmers and Paul Glasziou, who wrote a book called Testing Treatments that’s available for free as a downloadable PDF. In 2012, Oxman teamed up with one of the authors of the book, Sir Iain Chalmers, asking him to help to develop curricula based on the concepts in the book appropriate for primary school children

Because Oxman had ties with researchers in Uganda, he tested the new materials there on children between 10-12 years of age. Personally, when I first saw that, I thought that ten years old is a bit old to start the process. I would have thought that age eight or even six would be the time to start. Be that as it may, Oxman ran a randomized trial in which a representative sample of eligible schools were randomized either to control (no change in curriculum) or including the Informed Health Choices (as the program came to be known) primary school resources (textbooks, exercise books, and a teachers’ guide) in the lesson plan. Teachers teaching the Informed Health Choices curriculum attended a 2 day introductory workshop and gave nine 80 min lessons during one school term. The lessons addressed 12 concepts essential to assessing claims about treatment effects and making informed health choices.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Teaching critical thinking to combat fake news ...
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2017 at 12:16pm

Twelve key concepts were emphasized:

Claims

Treatments might be harmful
Personal experiences or anecdotes (stories) are an unreliable basis for assessing the effects of most treatments
Widely used treatments or treatments that have been used for a long time are not necessarily beneficial or safe
New, brand-named, or more expensive treatments may not be better than available alternatives
Opinions of experts or authorities do not alone provide a reliable basis for deciding on the benefits and harms of treatments
Conflicting interests may result in misleading claims about the effects of treatments
Comparisons

Evaluating the effects of treatments requires appropriate comparisons
Apart from the treatments being compared, the comparison groups need to be similar (ie, “like needs to be compared with like”)
If possible, people should not know which of the treatments being compared they are receiving
Small studies in which few outcome events occur are usually not informative and the results may be misleading
The results of single comparisons of treatments can be misleading
Choices

Treatments usually have beneficial and harmful effects
These are indeed key concepts that any medical skeptic needs to know and understand. I’ve empnasized pretty much all of them at one time or another over the last 12 years. Heck, we even have names for some of them, such as the appeal to antiquity to describe the concept that just because a treatment is old does not make it better. After all, many of these “ancient” remedies date back to times when medicine was anything but scientific and the very basics of what causes disease were not understood and instead diseases were attributed to “imbalances” in humors, “bad air,” or even the intervention of malign spirits. Any of them that might work were basically discovered by sheer accident, and ancient herbal remedies that work have mostly already been picked over and turned into purified drugs.

The result was a publication in The Lancet. At the end, results from students at non-curriculum schools were compared with those of students at Informed Health Choices schools on a 24-question multiple choice test on the 12 concepts (two questions per concept). The results were striking:

The average score for children in the intervention schools was 62·4% (SD 18·8) compared with 43·1% (15·2) in the control schools. The adjusted mean difference (based on the regression analysis) was 20·0% (95% CI 17·3–22·7; p<0·00001) higher in the intervention than in the control group. Appendix 1 shows the distribution of test scores. In the intervention schools, 3967 (69%) of 5753 children had a passing score (≥13 of 24 correct answers), compared with 1186 (27%) of 4430 in the control schools (table 2). The adjusted difference (based on the odds ratio from the logistic regression analysis) was 50% more children who passed (95% CI 44–55; p<0·00001) in the intervention than in the control group.

Noting:

Use of the Informed Health Choices primary school resources had a large effect on the ability of primary school children in Uganda to assess claims about treatment effects. This effect was larger for children with better reading skills, but the intervention was effective for children lacking basic reading skills, as well as for children with basic or advanced reading skills. This effect was achieved even though the learning materials and the tests were in English, which was not the children’s first language. Based on findings from pilot testing both the resources and the test used to measure the outcomes, we were surprised by the size of the effect, which is also large in comparison to other education interventions in primary schools in low-income and middle-income countries,20 and other interventions to teach critical thinking for all ages in high-income countries.11 In addition, the intervention had a positive effect on the children’s intended behaviours and the teachers’ mastery of the key concepts.

Overall, about one-fifth of the children achieved a test score indicating that they had mastered the key concepts (getting at least 20 questions out of the 24 correct), while less than 1% of the children in control schools achieved that high a score. This is quite an effect.

The authors do acknowledge weaknesses in their study. One thing I tend to question is whether the questions on the multiple choice test actually correspond to what the authors say they do. In other words, we don’t know if the children learned how to answer test questions but at the end of the teaching didn’t know how to apply the concepts they learned to real life. We also have no way of knowing what the long term effects of these interventions are and whether they will actually have measurable effects on the health choices made by these participants when they are adults. I also hate to be the pessimist, but I find it disappointing that, even after this intervention, only one-fifth of the children mastered all of the concepts and the average score among those who underwent the teaching still got more than 1/3 of the questions wrong.

As much as there is an emphasis on starting to learn critical thinking at a young age, all is not lost for us old farts:

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - May 25th, 2017 at 12:17pm

As much as there is an emphasis on starting to learn critical thinking at a young age, all is not lost for us old farts:

Separately, the researchers also created a podcast on critical thinking concepts for parents, and tested that approach in another randomized controlled trial, also published in the Lancet. They were successful here as well: Nearly twice as many parents who listened to the podcast series passed a test on their understanding of key health concepts compared with parents in the control group.

Or, in a bit more detail:

We recruited parents between July 21, 2016, and Oct 7, 2016. We randomly assigned 675 parents to the podcast group (n=334) or the public service announcement group (n=341); 561 (83%) participants completed follow-up. The mean score for parents in the podcast group was 67·8% (SD 19·6) compared with 52·4% (17·6) in the control group (adjusted mean difference 15·5%, 95% CI 12·5–18·6; p<0·0001). In the podcast group, 203 (71%) of 288 parents had a predetermined passing score (≥11 of 18 correct answers) compared with 103 (38%) of 273 parents in the control group (adjusted difference 34%, 95% CI 26–41; p<0·0001). No adverse events were reported.

Studies like these, for all their messiness and shortcomings that are unavoidable in carrying out studies like this, give me hope. We human beings have cognitive wiring that leave us prone to making all sorts of incorrect inferences and latching on to all sorts of pseudoscientific beliefs, particularly about health. Critical thinking, while second nature in some areas (such as economic; e.g., when buying a used car), is not natural to most humans, particularly when it comes to health claims, where anecdotes can profoundly mislead and we are very quick to confuse correlation with causation. It can be taught, however. The problem is that there has to be the will and resources to teach it, as well as a large enough core of motivated teachers trained to do it. Then there’s the issue of competing for time among existing subjects that have to be taught. I can’t help but wonder if, rather than teaching critical thinking like this as a module separate from ohter subjects, it would be more effective to find a way to weave training in critical thinking into all subjects, especially science, math, and history, but by no means limited to them and including topics like writing, literature, and other humanities.

However it’s done, the need is acute. 2016 was the year fake news and bullshit appeared to have reached a tipping point. The need to be able to recognize and combat it is more acute than ever, and it’s never too early to start inculcating critical thinking skills into our children, who will need them more than our generation ever did.

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2017/05/23/teaching-critical-thinking-to-comba...

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #3 - May 25th, 2017 at 12:45pm

I should have thought your ideological fellow travellers have done enough damage to the last two generations without embarking on a new Crusade to impose your wisdom.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #4 - May 25th, 2017 at 12:55pm

Yes, but the reality is most of us don't have the time or means to conduct our own experiments to determine truth from fiction.

On practically all information we rely on what other people tell us - whether its what goes on in the news, science, history - and of course health matters.

The key is being objective and rational in absorbing all this information. The problem is, humans have a natural tendency to not be objective and rational - especially regarding information they have a personal stake  in (particularly of relevance to something like health). So the phenomenons we are hearing so much about today - fake news, echo chambers and comfirmation bias (basically people disallowing themselves to hear anything other than what they want to hear) - are nothing new at all. They just take a new dimension with the advent of instant 24/7 news coverage and social media. And I'm afraid teaching kids to be 'objective' isn't really going to cure us of this human nature.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - May 25th, 2017 at 1:14pm

polite_gandalf wrote on May 25th, 2017 at 12:55pm:
Yes, but the reality is most of us don't have the time or means to conduct our own experiments to determine truth from fiction.

On practically all information we rely on what other people tell us - whether its what goes on in the news, science, history - and of course health matters.

The key is being objective and rational in absorbing all this information. The problem is, humans have a natural tendency to not be objective and rational - especially regarding information they have a personal stake  in (particularly of relevance to something like health). So the phenomenons we are hearing so much about today - fake news, echo chambers and comfirmation bias (basically people disallowing themselves to hear anything other than what they want to hear) - are nothing new at all. They just take a new dimension with the advent of instant 24/7 news coverage and social media. And I'm afraid teaching kids to be 'objective' isn't really going to cure us of this human nature.

With respect, i must heartily disagree. I think critical thinking is not only successfully taught but innate in many of us.

Where else do we get our rebels; our iconoclasts from?

Speaking for myself, at a very young age i rejected the ideas and many of the values i was raised with. My first clue was the charity drive for Christmas. By 9 i was a vegetarian.

I am naturally apprehensive over what i am told. I am inclined to fact check. It is innate.

I have raised my children to question everything, even me and their father. We often play devil's advocate to encourage our kids to sharpen their claws. Whether or not their proficiency at critical thinking is nature or nurture, we will never know. It is enough that they are both adept at it.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #6 - May 25th, 2017 at 2:06pm

Critical thinking can't be taught.  What most people who call themselves "free thinkers" think is critical thinking, is actually postmodernism.  Criticising everything is not the same as critical thinking.

I remember doing a unit called "critical thinking" at uni, which had a reputation as being a super hard subject.

No matter how many times things would be explained and rephrased, most people just didn't get it.  They couldn't get it, no matter how much time they put in.  They'd keep asking and asking, disrupting lectures and tutorials until they'd meekly say "ahh..yeah...ok..." and shrink into their seats, obviously just as confused as when they'd started.

My result?  An HD, with 0 hours study time.  One of the easiest subjects I ever did.  It's either intuitive or impossible, with nothing inbetween.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - May 25th, 2017 at 2:09pm

... wrote on May 25th, 2017 at 2:06pm:
Critical thinking can't be taught.  What most people who call themselves "free thinkers" think is critical thinking, is actually postmodernism.  Criticising everything is not the same as critical thinking.

I remember doing a unit called "critical thinking" at uni, which had a reputation as being a super hard subject.

No matter how many times things would be explained and rephrased, most people just didn't get it.  They couldn't get it, no matter how much time they put in.  They'd keep asking and asking, disrupting lectures and tutorials until they'd meekly say "ahh..yeah...ok..." and shrink into their seats, obviously just as confused as when they'd started.

My result?  An HD, with 0 hours study time.  One of the easiest subjects I ever did.  It's either intuitive or impossible, with nothing inbetween.

Incorrect. But you often are.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - May 25th, 2017 at 2:51pm

But your superiority complex explains why you are always accusing others of cognitive bias.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - May 25th, 2017 at 3:11pm

critical thinking should be done by an individual as they reflect on the 1000's of reference experiences they have gained by interacting in the "real world'.

as men, we go out and (should) take massive action.
try this, try that, fail, take the lesson, course correct and carry on.

part of this course correction is to 'reflect" on and "think" about what we find to be true and untrue in the real social dynamic.

when you do this, you see how people who are stuck in group think are literally being cheered off the cliff.

you also see how people will use social pressure on each other to try to outframe someone elses position.

But i would counsel against teaching children to think too much.they will likely get stuck in their heads and stifled.
action is the path to success for a young dude.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #10 - May 25th, 2017 at 6:28pm

Quote:
The idea that critical thinking is a skill is the first of three popular, but false views that all do disservice to the idea of being critical. They also allow many teachers to believe they are critical thinkers when they are the opposite:

“Critical thinking” is a skill. No it is not. At best this view reduces criticism to second-rate or elementary instruction in informal and some formal logic. It is usually second-rate logic and poor philosophy offered in bite-sized nuggets. Seen as a skill, critical thinking can also mean subjection to the conformism of an ideological yoke. If a feminist or Marxist teacher demands a certain perspective be adopted this may seem like it is “criticism” or acquiring a “critical perspective”, but it is actually a training in feminism or Marxism which could be done through tick box techniques. It almost acquires the character of a mental drill.

“Critical thinking” means indoctrination. When teachers talk about the need to be “critical” they often mean instead that students must “conform”. It is often actually teaching students to be “critical” of their unacceptable ideas and adopt the right ones. Having to support multiculturalism and diversity are the most common of the “correct ideas” that everyone has to adopt. Professional programmes in education, nursing, social work and others often promote this sort of “criticism”. It used to be called “indoctrination”.

“Critical theories” are “uncritical theories”. When some theory has the prefix “critical” it requires the uncritical acceptance of a certain political perspective. Critical theory, critical race theory, critical race philosophy, critical realism, critical reflective practice all explicitly have political aims.

http://theconversation.com/lets-stop-trying-to-teach-students-critical-thinking-...

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - May 25th, 2017 at 6:44pm

mothra wrote on May 25th, 2017 at 1:14pm:
polite_gandalf wrote on May 25th, 2017 at 12:55pm:

With respect, i must heartily disagree. I think critical thinking is not only successfully taught but innate in many of us.

Where else do we get our rebels; our iconoclasts from?

Speaking for myself, at a very young age i rejected the ideas and many of the values i was raised with. My first clue was the charity drive for Christmas. By 9 i was a vegetarian.

I am naturally apprehensive over what i am told. I am inclined to fact check. It is innate.

I have raised my children to question everything, even me and their father. We often play devil's advocate to encourage our kids to sharpen their claws. Whether or not their proficiency at critical thinking is nature or nurture, we will never know. It is enough that they are both adept at it.

You are confusing your being refractory from a young age with being a critical thinker which you most certainly are not. You are a champion of group think and mental conformity.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - May 25th, 2017 at 6:47pm

No Frank. You are the sum total of all that you have been fed.

I am an independent thinker.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - May 25th, 2017 at 8:27pm

mothra wrote on May 25th, 2017 at 6:47pm:
No Frank. You are the sum total of all that you have been fed.

I am an independent thinker.

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Sure you are.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #14 - May 26th, 2017 at 5:04am

... wrote on May 25th, 2017 at 6:28pm:
Quote:
The idea that critical thinking is a skill is the first of three popular, but false views that all do disservice to the idea of being critical. They also allow many teachers to believe they are critical thinkers when they are the opposite:

“Critical thinking” is a skill. No it is not. At best this view reduces criticism to second-rate or elementary instruction in informal and some formal logic. It is usually second-rate logic and poor philosophy offered in bite-sized nuggets. Seen as a skill, critical thinking can also mean subjection to the conformism of an ideological yoke. If a feminist or Marxist teacher demands a certain perspective be adopted this may seem like it is “criticism” or acquiring a “critical perspective”, but it is actually a training in feminism or Marxism which could be done through tick box techniques. It almost acquires the character of a mental drill.

“Critical thinking” means indoctrination. When teachers talk about the need to be “critical” they often mean instead that students must “conform”. It is often actually teaching students to be “critical” of their unacceptable ideas and adopt the right ones. Having to support multiculturalism and diversity are the most common of the “correct ideas” that everyone has to adopt. Professional programmes in education, nursing, social work and others often promote this sort of “criticism”. It used to be called “indoctrination”.

“Critical theories” are “uncritical theories”. When some theory has the prefix “critical” it requires the uncritical acceptance of a certain political perspective. Critical theory, critical race theory, critical race philosophy, critical realism, critical reflective practice all explicitly have political aims.

http://theconversation.com/lets-stop-trying-to-teach-students-critical-thinking-...

Yes. Excellent.

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #15 - May 26th, 2017 at 5:08am

Thinking is driven by underlying values, morals or interests. These are hidden to most, but the sharper mind knows when their values are driving their thinking.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - May 26th, 2017 at 7:19am

what about the Socialists turning our schools from centers of learning to centers of Socialist indoctrination ?

Indoctrination of vulnerable little kiddies is a standard technique used by Socialist groups world wide.

This is cold hard FACT and is being actively combated by the current govt by slamming the sick Socialist Safe Schools nonsense and restoring education in the 3 R's and STEM subjects. Advance Australia Fair!!

Minister open to teacher 'import' following 'worrying' education report
Source: AAP 7 Dec 2016 - 3:34 AM  UPDATED 7 Dec 2016 - 8:56 PM

File image of Australia's Education Minister Simon Birmingham (AAP)

The federal education minister is open to having a discussion about importing maths and science teachers after the second release of international data showing Australian students slipping behind.

Simon Birmingham acknowledges Australia's performance in the three-yearly Program for International Student Assessment (PISA) is worrying - and it's a trend.

Australia is above the OECD average, but sits equal 10th in science, equal 12th in reading and equal 20th in maths.

The release comes on the back of last week's Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study (TIMSS) showing Australian students still middle of the pack after 20 years of testing.

Could the mere name on a HSC subject cost its students a future job? School authorities are taking no chances, but some observers fear they haven't gone far enough.

Senator Birmingham, who will meet with his state and territory counterparts next week, says given the wealth of the nation and scale of investment, Australia should be an education leader, not risk becoming a laggard.

"I hope that ministers ... will actually engage in constructive conversation with me about how we can work co-operatively to address this very serious decline," he told ABC radio on Wednesday.

Senator Birmingham says as a father of a four and five-year-old he shares the concerns of parents and the government is already acting to improve teacher quality.

Asked whether special visas are needed to recruit qualified teachers, he said: "ultimately, if we do need to get more specialised maths and science teachers into the classroom, that's a discussion I am very open to having".

The Australian Council for Educational Research, which conducts and reports on the study, says there is an issue with maths and science teaching in Australia.

Read the rest of the restoring Aust schools to fair dinkum straightness here

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/12/07/minister-open-teacher-import-follo...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print