Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Supermarket shopping (Read 2036 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Supermarket shopping
May 25th, 2017 at 11:31am

I was in Woolworths the other day, getting a few things I couldn't get at Aldi. That's what Woolies is for.

Anyway, I went to a human checkout for a change as I could see a woman was about done with her stuff.
So I'm standing there and the checkout lady says, I think she said, "that's $450 something".
Godsmacked I looked at her trolley. OK it was full, well overflowing really.
But I've been in Aldi behind people with huge trolleys of stuff and the most I've ever seen charged was about $250.

Actually, cheeky bugger that I am, I even stopped a young lady in Aldi one day, and not just because she was good looking, but because she had an overloaded trolley, and I asked her:
"How much would you expect to pay for so much groceries"? She told me around $200 and then she volunteered that sometimes she shops at Woolworths, so I said "how much would you pay there for that sort of purchase" and she said probably double.

I just can't believe people. It's like saying "Whip me, thrash me, I love it". I know some strange people do but you know what I mean.

I glanced at the Aldi catalogue this week and they had a comparison, as they do:

Range of cleaning products bought at major supermarket:  $70 something
Same range, home brands of course,
at Aldi: $about 28

But it's a free country.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Wolseley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Re: Supermarket shopping
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2017 at 8:36pm

The difficulty with comparing Aldi's prices with their competition is Aldi's fake brands, which tend to muddy the water a bit.  If you want to save money by buying home brand items, then Aldi would save you money on most, but not all, of them.

I shopped at Aldi for a few things earlier this week and found later that three of the four brand name items and one of the home brand items I bought were cheaper in Woolworths (and I'm talking normal prices, not specials) - and the ham hock turned out to be $2 cheaper at the deli around the corner.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #2 - May 25th, 2017 at 10:56pm

I can't compare Woolies to Aldi, seeing as we have not an Aldi store set up in business here in Rockhampton. But, a month ago, I went and did a good $250 worth of shopping for groceries. Last fortnight, I did a $110 grocery shop, when I woke up to myself getting only what I needed. Next fortnight, I have a light shopping list, as I won't be cooking much with 7 hours of training, and 3 hours of work per 10 out of the 14 days.

IP Logged

crocodile
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - May 26th, 2017 at 10:24am

The meat at Aldi is good value.

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - May 26th, 2017 at 10:32am

Wolseley wrote on May 25th, 2017 at 8:36pm:
The difficulty with comparing Aldi's prices with their competition is Aldi's fake brands, which tend to muddy the water a bit.  If you want to save money by buying home brand items, then Aldi would save you money on most, but not all, of them.

I shopped at Aldi for a few things earlier this week and found later that three of the four brand name items and one of the home brand items I bought were cheaper in Woolworths (and I'm talking normal prices, not specials) - and the ham hock turned out to be $2 cheaper at the deli around the corner.

I agree   I dont like the way ALDI steals others logos 

I got caught once never again....I dont buy generic   what I have used in the past is never as good as a brand name product I dont care what anyone says....of course if you dont mind that.. thats fine...but dont tell me you are getting the same value.. its the same with size/weight  not all things are equal...

IP Logged

crocodile
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - May 26th, 2017 at 11:21am

cods wrote on May 26th, 2017 at 10:32am:

I got caught once never again....I dont buy generic   what I have used in the past is never as good as a brand name product I dont care what anyone says....of course if you dont mind that.. thats fine...but dont tell me you are getting the same value.. its the same with size/weight  not all things are equal...

Sorry to break some sad news to you Codsy. I have a prick relation who happens to work for Sanitarium, makers of Weet Bix. They come off the conveyor and into the box. When a Woolies Home Brand order comes along they shift the pallet of cardboard boxes over to the conveyer. Sure it's not like this for everything but in many cases this is how it goes.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #6 - May 26th, 2017 at 2:21pm

It seems to me, but I am often wrong, that the giants can only match Aldi prices overall if their customers buy only their home brands, which they won't.
It's fortunate that they won't because otherwise where does that leave them with the other 20,000 or so product lines that they carry?

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - May 26th, 2017 at 2:30pm

crocodile wrote on May 26th, 2017 at 11:21am:
cods wrote on May 26th, 2017 at 10:32am:

Sorry to break some sad news to you Codsy. I have a prick relation who happens to work for Sanitarium, makers of Weet Bix. They come off the conveyor and into the box. When a Woolies Home Brand order comes along they shift the pallet of cardboard boxes over to the conveyer. Sure it's not like this for everything but in many cases this is how it goes.

yes pretty much aware of some of what goes on....I worked in the wholesale grocery business....... but but but....when you buy generic you are not always getting what comes off the same rolling stock line..

for instance buy gen peanuts or any nuts for that matter and they are smaller and a lot older than what you get with a brand  sunbeam are the same dried fruit is awful in generic lines...its fine if you dont mind much but if you do ...well I give it miss......cheese is another thing that is also meant to be the same as the brand... it never is the same to me..

I am a careful shopper matey  and I did learn of a few tricks they all use...which is all part and parcel of business....I guess it all comes down to taste...I dont like generic bread either even though its more than half the price of a brand...I just dont like it.

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #8 - May 26th, 2017 at 3:13pm

crocodile wrote on May 26th, 2017 at 10:24am:

A MELBOURNE man claims his daughter found maggots in Aldi-bought chicken tenders.
Bill Johnson, from Tooradin, told radio station 3AW that he was at work when he got a call from his daughter, who was halfway through her meal when she realised something had survived the freezer and the oven.

He said he could barely believe it until he saw it with his own eyes. The creatures are believed to be about 3mm long and the same colour as the crumb on the chicken tender.
“She wasn’t physically sick but she was pretty disgusted as you can imagine,” he told Neil Mitchell.

Mr Johnson said the incident happened on January 30. He said he phoned Aldi and was told he would receive a call back but heard nothing until he phoned again to make a report.

It’s not the first time Aldi has been rocked by such an incident.

In 2015, a shopper claimed she found a maggot in a jar of red cabbage she bought from an Aldi store in Cheltenham.
Earlier that year, a couple said they found a maggot in a jar of tomato paste they bought at the Aldi store in Abbotsford.

Pictures ...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/south-east/melbourne-family-say-they-found-ma...

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #9 - May 26th, 2017 at 3:26pm

It's high in protein. That's why Bogarde73 is so healthy.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #10 - May 26th, 2017 at 4:08pm

buzzanddidj wrote on May 26th, 2017 at 3:13pm:

A MELBOURNE man claims his daughter found maggots in Aldi-bought chicken tenders.
Bill Johnson, from Tooradin, told radio station 3AW that he was at work when he got a call from his daughter, who was halfway through her meal when she realised something had survived the freezer and the oven.

He said he could barely believe it until he saw it with his own eyes. The creatures are believed to be about 3mm long and the same colour as the crumb on the chicken tender.
“She wasn’t physically sick but she was pretty disgusted as you can imagine,” he told Neil Mitchell.

Mr Johnson said the incident happened on January 30. He said he phoned Aldi and was told he would receive a call back but heard nothing until he phoned again to make a report.

In 2015, a shopper claimed she found a maggot in a jar of red cabbage she bought from an Aldi store in Cheltenham.
Earlier that year, a couple said they found a maggot in a jar of tomato paste they bought at the Aldi store in Abbotsford.

Pictures ...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/south-east/melbourne-family-say-they-found-ma...

To be fair though buzz, these kinds of things can happen in all food outlets and they all have product recalls from time to time.

IP Logged

crocodile
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - May 26th, 2017 at 4:23pm

buzzanddidj wrote on May 26th, 2017 at 3:13pm:

Pictures ...

I've personally found 'stuff' in items that shouldn't be there from just about all outlets.

IP Logged

crocodile
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - May 26th, 2017 at 4:24pm

Unforgiven wrote on May 26th, 2017 at 3:26pm:
It's high in protein. That's why Bogarde73 is so healthy.

Maggots are great bait for aussie bass as well.

IP Logged

Dustwun
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Igloo
Reply #13 - May 26th, 2017 at 6:28pm

All of the clothes washing powder and dishwasher tablets at Aldi are cr@p.

IP Logged

Dustwun
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Igloo
Reply #14 - May 26th, 2017 at 6:35pm

And another thing, I never see hot MILFs in Aldi.
Seems to be full of old grannies and fuglies.

Coles and Woolies gets the smokin mammas.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print