Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
plastic shopping bags 50 times worse (Read 938 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
plastic shopping bags 50 times worse
May 25th, 2017 at 8:11am

Apparently QLD is going to ban regular plastic shopping bags in 2018.

According to this article from the ABC, you have to re-use a "re-usable" shopping bag at least 50 times, depending on the type, before you actually start reducing the impact on the environment. Far more if you get a durable reusable bag. And that assumes you do not re-use the "single use" ones. I highly doubt they would last that long, even if you did make the effort. It would be interesting to see the statistics on bag use as different places have transitioned. Obviously, if they charge $1 per bag, the grocery stores are not going to complain about it.

The ABC is currently running with a "war on waste" theme.

War on Waste: Do you know how many times you need to use your green bags?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-24/war-on-waste-what-bags-to-use/8528350

Which type of bag should you use to take your groceries home if you're trying to have as little an impact as possible on the environment?

The answer might seem obvious: a robust and durable bag that can be re-used over and over again.

"If you're able to do that over a long time frame, then you're going to have an environmental advantage," said Associate Professor Karli Verghese from the School of Architecture and Design at RMIT.

But the key words there are "long time frame". Because you might be surprised by the number of times you have to use these bags before they become more environmentally friendly.

How many times should reusable bags be reused?

It's a bit complicated, because there are different types of reusable bags out there and different ways of measuring environmental impact.

But overall, reusable bags need to be used at least 50 times in order for their environmental benefits to be realised.

That's according to a 2009 study led by Dr Verghese, which considered what goes into creating different types of bags (the materials and their weight, as well as energy and water) along with how each of them can be disposed (whether they can be recycled or whether they have to go into landfill).

Green bags must be used more than 100 times to be truly environmentally friendly. (NMarkRoberts)

Not surprisingly, it takes much more material and energy to create thick reusable bags than the thin single-use high-density polyethylene plastic bags that are given out for free at supermarket checkouts — except in South Australia, Tasmania, the ACT and NT, where they're banned.

That's why Dr Verghese's study found that encouraging people to buy reusable bags without making sure these bags actually get reused an adequate number of times results in a worse result for the environment overall.

As an example, if polypropylene bags (those green bags that you can buy at the supermarket) are only used 52 times then their impact on global warming is actually greater than that of single-use plastic bags.

How many uses should you be getting out of reusable bags? The study from Dr Verghese puts the figure at 104 — that's weekly for two years.

So it might be worth keeping that in mind if you're tempted to buy new green bags when you forget to bring the ones you already own.

Which reusable bag is best?

Two of the most common reusable shopping bags are polypropylene bags and polyethylene terephthalate.

Which of them is better depends on which environmental impact measure you're looking at.

The polypropylene green bag has the lowest impact on most measures including global warming, water use, land use, the release of nutrients into waterways and consumption of minerals.

However, the polyethylene terephthalate has the lowest impact when it comes to solid waste generated and fossil fuels consumed.

Whatever you do, re-use and recycle

The environmental impact of plastic bags is reduced if they're used in other ways — as bin liners, for instance.

And once you're really done with them, Dr Verghese says you should "put them into a recycling collection system so they can be redirected away from landfill and be put back into the economy".

You can find recycling collection bins for plastic bags at the front of many supermarkets.

Supermarket shopping bags not the only culprits

The good work of using reusable bags at the supermarket can quickly be outweighed by the heavy plastic bags you're getting at other retailers.

"If you have a look at some of the plastic bags that are given out by fashion companies, they're pretty thick plastics," Dr Verghese said.

"There's a lot of focus on the supermarket shopping bag but there's lots of plastic bags that are given out at lots of other shops."

Natural doesn't necessarily equal better, either

You might think that paper bags are a more environmentally friendly option than plastic bags because they're not made from synthetic materials.

But it's a mistake to think of products that seem "natural" as better, because paper bags actually have a greater environmental impact than high-density polyethylene plastic bags. It's because of the production process as well as the amount of material needed per bag.

However, paper bags are the most recyclable and have less of an impact as litter.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: plastic shopping bags 50 times worse
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2017 at 9:56am

I've still got the same green bags from 5 years ago and they are still ok. No need to throw anything away.

Lets face it. So much plastic packaging gets discarded into land fill it's little wonder the oceans are full of it Sad

Plastic this and plastic that. Another byproduct of the oil era Sad

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - May 25th, 2017 at 10:46am

How often do you use them?

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #3 - May 25th, 2017 at 11:45am

I use to use the disposable ones as garbage bags, but now I have to buy plastic garbage bags to do that job.

On top of that I have to pay 15c for reusable plastic bags pretty much every time I go shopping because I could not be bothered remembering to walk around with those friggen bags. They pile up for a few months and then get thrown out.

Make something annoying and difficult, it will not be as good as you hoped. It is just one plastic bag exchanged for another.

Everyone who use shopping bags as a substitute for garbage bags will now use a much thicker more polluting garbage bag.

What are ya gonna do?

IP Logged

BlueBeard

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - May 25th, 2017 at 11:52am

have you ever left a shopping bag out in your garden for a couple of weeks?

it literally falls apart.

but I tell you what won't fall apart after a couple of weeks.

those Disc things woolies are giving away, Millions and Millions of them!

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - May 25th, 2017 at 2:36pm

BigOl64 wrote on May 25th, 2017 at 11:45am:
I use to use the disposable ones as garbage bags, but now I have to buy plastic garbage bags to do that job.

On top of that I have to pay 15c for reusable plastic bags pretty much every time I go shopping because I could not be bothered remembering to walk around with those friggen bags. They pile up for a few months and then get thrown out.

Make something annoying and difficult, it will not be as good as you hoped. It is just one plastic bag exchanged for another.

Everyone who use shopping bags as a substitute for garbage bags will now use a much thicker more polluting garbage bag.

What are ya gonna do?

I have to admit  I do struggle with this whole thing  in ACT we havent had freebee bags for ages....yet I can buy one for 10 or 20 cents if I forget my bag..  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

so they are not banned at all... its ok to BUY them

I also am forced into buying a roll of plastic kitchen bags... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes.. echos of that word Plastic....

now I have no idea if these bags are made in this country   knowing how we work and think I am sure China is making a motza out of this..  Sad

next roll I buy I will check to see if its made in Australia from Australian products.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

wouldnt that seem futile not giving away plastic bags.. but still using plastic to make bags.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #6 - May 25th, 2017 at 10:30pm

I still use them as garbage bags - IGA has the best ones.... strong.... every fortnight my recycle bin is full to overflowing - nothing is thrown away here unless it has zero value in some way... vegetable scraps go into compost, and the vegetables love it.

This year's Jap pumpkins, which sprouted from the compost, include several nearly two feet across... and I don't like pumpkin..... but the extended family do....

In the Civilised States we don't pay for shopping bags..... the whole thing is a nonsense to generate unwarranted profit...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - May 27th, 2017 at 8:01am

BlueBeard wrote on May 25th, 2017 at 11:52am:
have you ever left a shopping bag out in your garden for a couple of weeks?

it literally falls apart.

but I tell you what won't fall apart after a couple of weeks.

those Disc things woolies are giving away, Millions and Millions of them!

I think that is just the new biodegradable ones.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print